PDA

View Full Version : Best 02 housing / dump pipe for 2005 Evolution Turbo 10:5

OCriminal
12-26-2005, 12:26 PM
What is the best 02 housing / dump pipe for a 2005 Evolution Turbo with the 10:5 hotside?

I see many different makes that all claim they are Evo Specific, but which one would be "the best"?

Looking for compatibility without modification and, of course, overall hp/torque increase, no matter how small the #'s may be....

Thank you O0

GokuSSJ4
12-26-2005, 04:57 PM
best WORKS 02 housing...
i rather spend abit more money and have a cast piece (same as oem) then an aluminum that eventually with time it will crack, and it doesnt have the stock mounting points for support, unlike the WORKS 02

OCriminal
12-26-2005, 05:18 PM
website for "works"? Is it even worth changing the stock one out?

Im trying to also find a downpipe, so far Ive found downpipes all 3" dia with or without a flex pipe, whats the diff? :?

tabio42
12-26-2005, 06:42 PM
best WORKS 02 housing...
i rather spend abit more money and have a cast piece (same as oem) then an aluminum that eventually with time it will crack, and it doesnt have the stock mounting points for support, unlike the WORKS 02

Someone makes an aluminum one? That sounds like trouble. Or did you get into the "everything tubular is aluminum" mindset? That happens to me.

OCriminal
12-26-2005, 08:21 PM
Helix website? Im sure you could help with my install once I get one :grin:

The helix o2 housing fits the 05 evo turbo no problem right? Even though hotside is larger on that turbo??

OCriminal
12-27-2005, 09:43 PM
Works is out of stock, and nearly $500...god damn gina, might as well send my 02 to bushcur and have them port and coat it for half that since its probably minimal gains anyways then it would fit to most DP's? Or am I just :idiot2:

silvery_eagle
01-04-2006, 07:12 PM
lol u're asking for the BEST whut...
Works stuff is straight quality :)

GokuSSJ4
01-10-2006, 05:40 PM
the Helix have een on my car for about 6 thousand miles of driving it like it's stolen and still holding just fine. For the amount of Work o2 housing i rather spend on stuff that have real gains. just my $0.02 cents

have you even track the car yet ?
i know others have with the same piece but i rather spend 125.00 additional and have all the mounting and bracket points, then to take short cuts..
you can't buy much for an additional 125.00-150.00 except a track day and some 100 octane... but we all know that most of the evo community doesn't need to track their evo in order to have fun :roll:

GokuSSJ4
01-10-2006, 05:42 PM
Works is out of stock, and nearly $500...god damn gina, might as well send my 02 to bushcur and have them port and coat it for half that since its probably minimal gains anyways then it would fit to most DP's? Or am I just :idiot2:

not the same, you are limited to the amount of material you ca remove from the stock piece... have you even seen the pics from the OEM 02 vs WORKS ... you will be suprise ..
theres a reason why they dont have it in stock anymore and other peeps are waiting for it...
its well worth it IMO if you plan to stay with the stock turbo or plan to look into upgrades like the TME, WR, IX turbo, 20g or 21g ...
1 more thing, i believe the WORKS 02 housing works in combination with the WORKS 76mm DP since it was design for it. all i can say is perfect (OEM) fit O0

GokuSSJ4
01-10-2006, 05:46 PM
here is a pic of the OEM vs WORKS (big difference)
http://forums.evolutionm.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=57617

Hiro
01-10-2006, 05:56 PM
The works unit is certainly high quality. It's hard to beat the durability of a cast part. It will flow much better then stock, and there you go....

But speaking of flow. You really can't beat the characteristics of a divorced system. It eliminates the turbulance that OEM and the works caste cannot. Plus it weighs about more then 10-15lbs less. Will it hold up under extreme heat? That's a good question. Generally tubular anythings don't unless they're chryo treated.

If you are a daily driver (light to light racer) I would recomend the Helix.
If you are a die hard track enthusiast, you would be safter going with the works.

If you put them both on the dyno, I doubt if you'd see a +/- WHP difference greater then 2.

-Hiro

earlyapex
01-10-2006, 06:13 PM
its well worth it IMO if you plan to stay with the stock turbo or plan to look into upgrades like the TME, WR, IX turbo, 20g or 21g ...

Well worth it? Who says? I haven't seen a dyno chart yet for the WORK 02 housing. Does it increase spool-up? change the torque curve? Hold HP more up top? Make more power or torque? Who knows?

Someone dyno a car with the only change being the WORKS $$$$ 02 housing and lets see. I know WORKS never dyno-validates any of their parts.

Terry S
01-11-2006, 10:04 AM

Well worth it? Who says? I haven't seen a dyno chart yet for the WORK 02 housing. Does it increase spool-up? change the torque curve? Hold HP more up top? Make more power or torque? Who knows?

Someone dyno a car with the only change being the WORKS $$$$ 02 housing and lets see. I know WORKS never dyno-validates any of their parts.

O2 housings dont do jack. If I had access to EvoM i'd pull up some of the many before and after threads relating to O2 housings.

Terry S

GokuSSJ4
01-11-2006, 11:14 AM

it did improve spool. havent had the car dyno period, so after i had the car tune, all i did was change the 02 housing.. but i dont have a base run to begin with...
well worth it, since if you are trying to gain the most hp possible out of the stock turbo or any of the modify stock units i mention.. an 02 housing would be something to consider... (whether is the WORKS or after market parts)
well worth it, you and i both know very well how much stress can be added at a track event, and if there is a weaknest on a part, it will be found... i decided to go with the WORKS for several reasons
1. same as OEM (stock mounting points) using the 02 bracket for support, unlike the helix or any SS 02 housing.
2. cast and not SS.. which at the end it will hold or prevent cracking in the future (reason why the stock unit is cast.
3. it improved spool
4. WORKS quality it's just amazing! i'm very happy with all the products i have purchase from them.. having OEM fitment quality.
spending 150.00 more and being able to obtain a cast piece, well worth it IMO..

AvengeDEvO
01-11-2006, 11:41 AM
I just bought a Megan Racing turbo outlet pipe. Here are the discription tell me what you think.

70MM TURBINE OUTLET ELBOW FOR STOCK TURBO OR STOCK REPLACEMENT TURBO, ALSO FITS TRUST T517Z/T518Z TURBOS. REDUCES TURBO LAG WITH NOTICABLE IMPROVMENTS THROUGHOUT THE POWERBAND. BOOST WILL BE ATTAINED AT A LOWER RPM. DIVIDER WALL IS PLACED BETWEEN TURBINE WHEEL AND WASTEGATE FOR BETTER FLOW.

- T-304 Stainless Steel.

- Contains all necessary hardware and gaskets.

- Direct bolt-on application.

- Selling price: $149.95

earlyapex
01-11-2006, 11:50 AM
I just bought a Megan Racing turbo outlet pipe. Here are the discription tell me what you think.
- Selling price: $149.95

You could have saved $50 and just bought the ebay 02 housing, it's the exact same thing made by the same company that supplies helix and megan racing.

I have one for sale if anyone is interested. Brand new in box. :D

AvengeDEvO
01-11-2006, 12:00 PM
Well I didnt pay the full amount but i was wondering if this was a good purchase if any one had experiance with this product.

Boosted GP
01-11-2006, 12:08 PM
Just as a side note, std O2 outlet is 55mm and Works oulet is 76.

believe the tommie O2 housing has a engine mount/ support but it costs like $600

www.worksevo.com (http://www.worksevo.com)

I'm getting the WORKS housing as the number 1 rule of turbo's: No exhaust after the turbine is the best, everything else is a compramise...

Mike

earlyapex
01-11-2006, 12:15 PM
it did improve spool. havent had the car dyno period, so after i had the car tune, all i did was change the 02 housing.. but i dont have a base run to begin with...
well worth it, since if you are trying to gain the most hp possible out of the stock turbo or any of the modify stock units i mention.. an 02 housing would be something to consider... (whether is the WORKS or after market parts)
well worth it, you and i both know very well how much stress can be added at a track event, and if there is a weaknest on a part, it will be found... i decided to go with the WORKS for several reasons
1. same as OEM (stock mounting points) using the 02 bracket for support, unlike the helix or any SS 02 housing.
2. cast and not SS.. which at the end it will hold or prevent cracking in the future (reason why the stock unit is cast.
3. it improved spool
4. WORKS quality it's just amazing! i'm very happy with all the products i have purchase from them.. having OEM fitment quality.
spending 150.00 more* and being able to obtain a cast piece, well worth it IMO..

Please dyno the car so we know how much it "improved spool". I haven't had a problem making good hp out of the stock 02 housing. I'll spend $400+ on something else.

GokuSSJ4
01-11-2006, 12:22 PM
3. it improved spool
spending 150.00 more* and being able to obtain a cast piece, well worth it IMO..

Please dyno the car so we know how much it "improved spool". I haven't had a problem making good hp out of the stock 02 housing. I'll spend $400+ on something else.

well i was going to buy an 02 housing regarless...so whether spending 150.00 (for the ebay 02 housing which my friend had and decided to take off... ) in his own words "junk"
i rather spend abit more and not deal with the headaches...
but i will dyno the car , but keep in mind that it will have other additional things
like BJs stage 5++ head
cams (maybe 280/280) or staying with a 272/280 set up (havent decided )
and a dr.gray stage 1+

earlyapex
01-11-2006, 12:26 PM
[well i was going to buy an 02 housing regarless...so whether spending 150.00 (for the ebay 02 housing which my friend had and decided to take off... )* in his own words "junk"
i rather spend abit more and not deal with the headaches...
but i will dyno the car , but keep in mind that it will have other additional things
like BJs stage 5++ head
cams* (maybe 280/280) or staying with a 272/280 set up (havent decided )
and a dr.gray stage 1+

Ok so we still won't know what the WORKS 02 added then. Will have no idea from all those mods being added at the same time.

GokuSSJ4
01-11-2006, 12:30 PM
well ...
even if i dyno my car at the moment, we still wouldn't know what the 02 housing has added... except for spool..
This is something i decided to add , since i want to obtain the most out of the stock turbo housing... or upgrade the turbo in the future and being able to keep the WORKS 02 housing .. to a 3052 or 3076R ...

ovenmit331
01-11-2006, 12:33 PM
someone buy me one and i'll take one for the team and dyno immediately before and after with that being the only change... *:)

earlyapex
01-11-2006, 12:38 PM
well ...
even if i dyno my car at the moment, we still wouldn't know what the 02 housing has added... except for spool..
This is something i decided to add , since i want to obtain the most out of the stock turbo housing...* or upgrade the turbo in the future and being able to keep the WORKS 02 housing ..* to a 3052 or 3076R ...

How are you going to be able to keep the WORKS 02 housing with a Garrett series turbo?

BOVBILLY
01-11-2006, 12:42 PM
the Helix have een on my car for about 6 thousand miles of driving it like it's stolen and still holding just fine. For the amount of Work o2 housing i rather spend on stuff that have real gains. just my $0.02 cents

i know others have with the same piece but i rather spend 125.00 additional and have all the mounting and bracket points, then to take short cuts..
you can't buy much for an additional 125.00-150.00 except a track day and some 100 octane... but we all know that most of the evo community doesn't need to track their evo in order to have fun :roll:

THERE GOES TOMAS, WITH HIS MICHAEL ANDRETTI TRACK AGAIN!

GokuSSJ4
01-11-2006, 07:44 PM
well ...
This is something i decided to add , since i want to obtain the most out of the stock turbo housing...* or upgrade the turbo in the future and being able to keep the WORKS 02 housing ..* to a 3052 or 3076R ...

How are you going to be able to keep the WORKS 02 housing with a Garrett series turbo?

i believe some one is making one that will retain stock manifold, stock DP and stock 02 housing... like a 3052 which would be more then enough for me... till i get an AMS stroker kit or a 2.4l bottom end 8)

earlyapex
01-11-2006, 07:48 PM
i believe some one is making one that will retain stock manifold, stock DP and stock 02 housing... like a 3052 which would be more then enough for me... till i get an AMS stroker kit or a 2.4l bottom end 8)

So they are casting a whole new hotside to the turbo as well?

Macky
01-11-2006, 08:05 PM

Billy, at least Michael Andretti isnt a nazi :D

goku, its just a car. if you need to track the car to have fun with it then you seriously need to develop your social skills and actually "get out" more. :coolsmiley:

GokuSSJ4
01-11-2006, 10:08 PM

Billy, at least Michael Andretti isnt a nazi :D

goku, its just a car. if you need to track the car to have fun with it then you seriously need to develop your social skills and actually "get out" more. :coolsmiley:

1. what does having social skills have anything to do with this thread
2. do you even know if i get out or not... ?? maybe abit more then you ohhh wait a minute... if i lack on social skills, i can imagine how much you do as well, since your best friends are a camera, a clay bar and soapy water.. since all you do is wash your damn car all the time.. can we say at least 4 times a week.. at least...
3. the reason i mention the track (you wab!) is because you push the parts to a certain level, and having something that will last longer then a SS material is very important IMO... like cast (especially something near the turbo area...) besides this has been argue many times in the past.. don't plan to start something like this all over again...

GokuSSJ4
01-11-2006, 10:11 PM
i believe some one is making one that will retain stock manifold, stock DP and stock 02 housing... like a 3052 which would be more then enough for me... till i get an AMS stroker kit or a 2.4l bottom end* 8)

it suppost to be something that bolts to the OEM parts , which would include 02 housing and stock DP ...

earlyapex
01-11-2006, 10:14 PM

it suppost to be something that bolts to the OEM parts , which would include 02 housing and stock DP ...

Last I checked, the turbo hotside is what bolts to the 02 housing, so are they casting a new hotside to the turbo?

Macky
01-11-2006, 10:29 PM
goke at least i get paid for what I do with the camera, unlike some people who pay for their trouble....... :-P

/comment

Terry S
01-12-2006, 10:33 AM
i believe some one is making one that will retain stock manifold, stock DP and stock 02 housing... like a 3052 which would be more then enough for me... till i get an AMS stroker kit or a 2.4l bottom end* 8)

Hey Goku,

You should call Vishnu and ask about the stage 2 package. They've had a casted adapter piece for a while now.

Terry S

GokuSSJ4
01-13-2006, 08:10 AM

Hey Goku,

You should call forum-restricted and ask about the stage 2 package. They've had a casted adapter piece for a while now.

Terry S

yeah , i believe they also make a turbo that will bolt on to all the stock components ( exhaust manifold and 02 housing)

earlyapex
01-13-2006, 11:03 AM
yeah , i believe they also make a turbo that will bolt on to all the stock components ( exhaust manifold and 02 housing)

No, they don't. That would require, again, for someone to recast the hotside with the same bolt pattern and port design as the stock manifold and 02 housing.

Don't you think that would be much bigger news as that what EVERYONE is waiting for?

The forum-restricted vendor you speak of mearly has a cast adapter piece that goes inbetween the turbo and the stock exhaust manifold. It uses its own DP that deletes the 02 housing altogether:

http://www.vishnutuning.com/images/Stage%202%20Complete.jpg

Terry S
01-13-2006, 11:18 AM

No, they don't. That would require, again, for someone to recast the hotside with the same bolt pattern and port design as the stock manifold and 02 housing.

Don't you think that would be much bigger news as that what EVERYONE is waiting for?

The forum-restricted vendor you speak of mearly has a cast adapter piece that goes inbetween the turbo and the stock exhaust manifold. It uses its own DP that deletes the 02 housing altogether:

http://www.vishnutuning.com/images/Stage%202%20Complete.jpg

Yup. No need for an o2 housing with their downpipe. I forget, are they selling that adapter piece (manifold to turbo) separate or only part of a turbo kit?

Terry S

GokuSSJ4
01-13-2006, 12:20 PM
once is time for a different turbo, then i will have to sell the 02 housing :P

Miss Evo8
01-13-2006, 05:38 PM
so....who is this forum restricted vendor?

earlyapex
01-13-2006, 05:47 PM

v to the i to the s to the h to the n to the u

Miss Evo8
01-13-2006, 06:17 PM

v to the i to the s to the h to the n to the u

I know I just wanted Goku to answer that one... ;)

GokuSSJ4
01-13-2006, 10:38 PM
LOL
read my signature :P

Miss Evo8
01-14-2006, 01:33 AM
I know I've read it....your sig. I believe it just might be the longest sig. Ever!

OCriminal
01-17-2006, 01:06 AM
what 02 housing will help aide shooting fireballs out my exhaust? :uglystupid2:

GokuSSJ4
01-17-2006, 02:50 AM
what 02 housing will help aide shooting fireballs out my exhaust? :uglystupid2:

how about adding a HFC :P