PDA

View Full Version : Will this pass SMOG?

NRG
12-26-2005, 11:39 PM
Espelir 2.75" downpipe, stock cat, catback exhaust 3" and stock ECU. Is it safe to assume that as long as I don't mess with the ECU, it should pass smog?

GokuSSJ4
12-27-2005, 01:52 AM
any mods done before the catback, if theres a visual inspection will not pass smog

Skiracer
12-27-2005, 07:15 AM
New cars are not due for smog for a couple of years. I'm not sure how many years, but its a long time away O0

genrec
12-27-2005, 08:47 AM
New cars are not due for smog for a couple of years.* I'm not sure how many* years, but its a long time away* O0

Thats assuming you don't sale it to a private party...then no matter what , it needs a smog.

Terry S
12-27-2005, 09:25 AM
New cars are not due for smog for a couple of years.* I'm not sure how many* years, but its a long time away* O0

Thats assuming you don't sale it to a private party...then no matter what , it needs a smog.

Or if you bring it into state and register it here, i'm pretty sure you have to smog it. I believe snoop passed smog with his 03' and a Vishnu stage 1 kit (full exhaust, cam gears, and an XEDE)

Terry S

silvery_eagle
12-27-2005, 10:41 AM
new cars are free from smog for 6 years.... i think

CACalomino
12-27-2005, 01:21 PM
Espelir 2.75" downpipe, stock cat, catback* exhaust 3" and stock ECU.* Is it safe to assume that as long as I don't mess with the ECU, it should pass smog?

The sniff test NP it will pass with flying colors. But like GOKU said if they are real meticulous and do a therow visual inspection u will not pass that do to the DP since everything infront of the Cat that is modified has to have a C.A.R.B # on it to be used in CA on public roads.

-Chris

rammsteinmatt
12-27-2005, 01:50 PM
Espelir 2.75" downpipe, stock cat, catback exhaust 3" and stock ECU. Is it safe to assume that as long as I don't mess with the ECU, it should pass smog?

The sniff test NP it will pass with flying colors. But like GOKU said if they are real meticulous and do a therow visual inspection u will not pass that do to the DP since everything infront of the Cat that is modified has to have a C.A.R.B # on it to be used in CA on public roads.

-Chris

do you really think they will check for CARB numbers on every single part?
ive been to alot of smog checks and they look through the engine bay real fast, and if anything is shinier than its supposed to be, they look a little longer at it. just flat black everything thats chrome O0

j_nizzle
12-27-2005, 01:53 PM

-Chris

ive been to alot of smog checks and they look through the engine bay real fast, and if anything is shinier than its supposed to be, they look a little longer at it. just flat black everything thats chrome O0

makes me think if gt40 will pass smog.

rammsteinmatt
12-27-2005, 01:56 PM
watch he will, without a problem. now wouldnt that make sense

wonder if he would pass the sniffer though?

CACalomino
12-27-2005, 02:00 PM
Espelir 2.75" downpipe, stock cat, catback* exhaust 3" and stock ECU.* Is it safe to assume that as long as I don't mess with the ECU, it should pass smog?

-Chris

ive been to alot of smog checks and they look through the engine bay real fast, and if anything is shinier than its supposed to be, they look a little longer at it.* just flat black everything thats chrome* O0

makes me think if gt40 will pass smog.

Ya most places dont rely look for Carb numbers but some do so pick your smogg shop carefully but most would miss the DP anyway's they are just looking for the cat.

As for gt40 passing na it wont pass worth a damn *:2funny: 272/272 *ems huge turbo head work and stroker HAHAHAHAHHAHA would take like 2-3 cats to catch all of that goodness

Skiracer
12-27-2005, 02:02 PM
Don't you need the OBDII port for smog test?? If so, if you got AEM EMS, you got no OBDII

rammsteinmatt
12-27-2005, 02:07 PM
Don't you need the OBDII port for smog test?? If so, if you got AEM EMS, you got no OBDII

good point, didnt think of that

Terry S
12-27-2005, 02:10 PM

Correct. One of the big reasons to not get an AEM EMS. and go with a piggy back * ;)

Terry S

Chris in SD
12-27-2005, 02:17 PM
I had a bunch of mods, several reflashes and I passed both the visual and the sniffer when I came back to CA last year. The sniffer was no problem, but the visual... well I guess it pays to know where to go. ;)

jas0n
12-27-2005, 02:41 PM
bribe.

j_nizzle
12-27-2005, 04:06 PM
bribe.

that's why some smog tests cost $200....

Chris in SD
12-27-2005, 06:07 PM
No bribes... I think the whole smog test and cert was $50 or something. Like I said, it pays to ask around...

Dagul
12-27-2005, 09:17 PM
Interesting... I just might hit you up when the time comes... :grin:

chuckdashi
12-27-2005, 10:22 PM
well actually if you bought your car bnew you wont have to go through smog for the first 4 years then ever 2 years after

j_nizzle
12-27-2005, 10:24 PM
well actually if you bought your car bnew you wont have to go through smog for the first 4 years then ever 2 years after

does that apply to people selling their cars before owning it for 6 years? i thought owners are responsible to smog their cars before a sale. if im right, the lazy bastages that wont part out their car are kinda screwed then.

chuckdashi
12-27-2005, 11:02 PM
well if your bying a car.. its the sellers responsibility to smog the car but youll end up doing it still every 2 years

Sam Smash
12-27-2005, 11:37 PM
Cars that are 2002 and newer do not require smog to transfer title. I think in 2006 it will apply to the 03 cars and newer. :police:

Dagul
12-28-2005, 04:19 AM

I bought my 03 used and 07 is going to come just as fast as 06 is... :grin:

mkim
12-28-2005, 08:58 PM
I think it would

chuckdashi
12-29-2005, 11:19 PM
not really sure... but im sure you can pass with the right $$$

friski_nardin
10-16-2006, 01:55 PM
hi everyone, i was just wondering to c if my 03 evo will pass smog? and if not the what r the changes that i have to make in order for me to pass smog,.

turbo back exhaust
white rabbit turbo
zeintronix, afac2
cam 264
larger intercooler
stock ecu
please let me know tanx

Terry S
10-16-2006, 02:07 PM
hi everyone, i was just wondering to c if my 03 evo will pass smog? and if not the what r the changes that i have to make in order for me to pass smog,.

turbo back exhaust
white rabbit turbo
zeintronix, afac2
cam 264
larger intercooler
stock ecu
please let me know tanx

Well, I would first recommend you reading this thread from beginning to end. It is clearly spelled out what will and wont pass smog.

But basically, no, you wont pass smog (you'll fail on the visual test).

Terry S

ryan0
10-16-2006, 02:09 PM
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/smogfaq.htm#BM2535

new car.. after 6 years.

used car under 4 yrs old.. no smog to transfer.

robm
10-23-2006, 06:16 PM
It's acutally 4 model years. So if you are selling a used 2003 model year car, it needs to be smogged if sold in 2007 (which may be less than 4 years old).

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/smogfaq.htm#BM2535

new car.. after 6 years.

used car under 4 yrs old.. no smog to transfer.

*chris*
10-24-2006, 08:01 AM
i had to smog the car when i registered in cali. i was all stock at the time, minus some defi gauges. they basically just did a quick look over the engine bay, didnt look under the car, and looked at the defis for a couple of min. mainly just staring at them going ....damn those are nice gauges!

the stock trim passes with flying colors. i was nowhere near the maximums they had listed.

desertRS
12-07-2006, 02:50 PM
4 years no smog for a new IX rs ????i got one mmmmm........ guesss what getting gutted tonight:)