PDA

View Full Version : Red light Cameras?

BlueBooster
01-03-2006, 10:51 PM
Do they take a picture of both the front & back or only the front of the car?

genrec
01-03-2006, 11:00 PM
yes i got one a few months back..it took 4 pictures.....my face..my front plate area..my back license plate area..and it had a zoom up of my plate numbers. cost $400 >:(

BlueBooster
01-03-2006, 11:01 PM
I wonder if that's why they are so insistant on people having front plates then? No front plate - no match up.

Did you get out of the ticket?

BlueBooster
01-03-2006, 11:02 PM
yes i got one a few months back..it took 4 pictures.....my face..my front plate area..my back license plate area..and it had a zoom up of my plate numbers. cost $400* >:(
Ouch. Did you try to fight it? Not being sarcastic, just curious...

nurb2
01-04-2006, 12:18 AM
I wonder if that's why they are so insistant on people having front plates then? No front plate - no match up.

Did you get out of the ticket?

That apparently used to be true ... no front plate, no red-light camera ticket. Ticketassassin.com even references an old newspaper article stating that fact. However, there are people on this forum who have received a red-light camera ticket with no front plate, so it's apparently not true anymore.

There are now three red-light camera intersections on my 6 mile ride home from work ... it's all about the $$$$$$$$$$$.

-nurb2-

j_nizzle
01-04-2006, 12:24 AM
running through them when the car was new was great...blank plates with my hat pulled down, and middle finger up, good times. cant pull that anymore.

EVOate909
01-04-2006, 12:29 AM
running through them when the car was new was great...blank plates with my hat pulled down, and middle finger up, good times. cant pull that anymore.

hahah i did that too on the way to the last SOCAL meet before the HKS one :2funny:

bogey8
01-04-2006, 12:46 AM

hahah i did that too on the way to the last SOCAL meet before the HKS one :2funny:

Hey, Loma Linda and San Bernardino have those now. I just saw an SUV get it's picture taken when he ran a left turn red light right in front of the hospital. That would cost him a lot of money. :idiot2:

Chris in SD
01-04-2006, 05:56 AM
Like drunk driving, I have no sympathy for those that get a red light camera ticket. Don't run the red! It's pretty simple... And don't tell me, "Oh, but I was already in the intersection when it changed". That's BS - I actually investigated the way it works. Your car has to be completely in the intersection AND the light has to be already red for the camera to fire. Of course, sometimes it does malfunction. So what then? Then the photos are reviewed and thrown out if: 1) your car is not in the intersection completely, 2) the light isn't red, or 3) they receive multiple complaints about a specific camera. I have waited at lights and watched the cameras go off - those people were VERY late for the red.

If you want to be pissed at me, so be it, but when you kill someone in an intersection because you "had to make that light", you'll remember this. I do agree most of this stuff is for the money, but red light cameras and DUI checkpoints are 2 things I support.

Bills Evo
01-04-2006, 06:48 AM
Like drunk driving, I have no sympathy for those that get a red light camera ticket. Don't run the red! It's pretty simple... And don't tell me, "Oh, but I was already in the intersection when it changed". That's BS - I actually investigated the way it works. Your car has to be completely in the intersection AND the light has to be already red for the camera to fire. Of course, sometimes it does malfunction. So what then? Then the photos are reviewed and thrown out if: 1) your car is not in the intersection completely, 2) the light isn't red, or 3) they receive multiple complaints about a specific camera. I have waited at lights and watched the cameras go off - those people were VERY late for the red.

If you want to be pissed at me, so be it, but when you kill someone in an intersection because you "had to make that light", you'll remember this. I do agree most of this stuff is for the money, but red light cameras and DUI checkpoints are 2 things I support.

I have to agree.

Terry S
01-04-2006, 10:22 AM
Like drunk driving, I have no sympathy for those that get a red light camera ticket.* Don't run the red!* It's pretty simple...* And don't tell me, "Oh, but I was already in the intersection when it changed".* That's BS - I actually investigated the way it works.* Your car has to be completely in the intersection AND the light has to be already red for the camera to fire.* Of course, sometimes it does malfunction.* So what then?* Then the photos are reviewed and thrown out if: 1)* your car is not in the intersection completely, 2) the light isn't red, or 3) they receive multiple complaints about a specific camera.* I have waited at lights and watched the cameras go off - those people were VERY late for the red.

If you want to be pissed at me, so be it, but when you kill someone in an intersection because you "had to make that light", you'll remember this.* I do agree most of this stuff is for the money, but red light cameras and DUI checkpoints are 2 things I support.

Exactly. Well said.

Terry S

DeeezNuuuts83
01-15-2006, 09:12 PM
I live in Newport Beach, and to go to work I have to take Newport Blvd. until it turns into the beginning of the 55N freeway.* There is a camera there, and while going to work with one of my roommates (at 6:50AM that day) while driving my old 1994 Isuzu Rodeo LS (I only used it for a month since my other car was getting fixed), the light turned yellow, so I gunned it, but since the SUV was getting old and showing its age, it didn't downshift, then the light turned red and I rolled through it with slow top-gear acceleration.* The cameras definitely flashed, and I was the only one in the intersection.* HOWEVER, I remembered reading that for you to get busted for that, they need a picture of your license plate and your face.* Knowing that while unintentionally hitting the intersection when it was red, I completely turned my head away to the left, hoping that the cameras wouldn't catch my face.* And now, five months later, nothing has been mailed to either me or my parents (since it was originally registered under their address when I was younger).

But yeah... I got lucky. Don't go through red-light intersections... camera or no camera.

Coolguy949
01-15-2006, 09:55 PM
HOWEVER, I remembered reading that for you to get busted for that, they need a picture of your license plate and your face. Knowing that while unintentionally hitting the intersection when it was red, I completely turned my head away to the left, hoping that the cameras wouldn't catch my face.

Wow, I never thought about doing this. Great idea. I've been snapped by a red light camera in rowland heights. I didnt completely stop behind the line when making a right turn. I never got anything in the mail.

MAFIOSO8
01-17-2006, 05:39 AM
people run red lights even if its wrong? :D :roll:

Dan
01-17-2006, 02:53 PM
Like drunk driving, I have no sympathy for those that get a red light camera ticket.* Don't run the red!* It's pretty simple...* And don't tell me, "Oh, but I was already in the intersection when it changed".* That's BS - I actually investigated the way it works.* Your car has to be completely in the intersection AND the light has to be already red for the camera to fire.* Of course, sometimes it does malfunction.* So what then?* Then the photos are reviewed and thrown out if: 1)* your car is not in the intersection completely, 2) the light isn't red, or 3) they receive multiple complaints about a specific camera.* I have waited at lights and watched the cameras go off - those people were VERY late for the red.

If you want to be pissed at me, so be it, but when you kill someone in an intersection because you "had to make that light", you'll remember this.* I do agree most of this stuff is for the money, but red light cameras and DUI checkpoints are 2 things I support.

Exactly. Well said.

Terry S

Except that Lockheed made money on every ticket issued. There was a big problem with the early cameras taking shots too early and giving tickets on yellows. At first fighting the ticket in court was laughable, then cases started popping up with real evidence that suggested the cameras were flawed. It's a money maker.

Any time I run a yellow I palm my face.

*chris*
01-18-2006, 12:13 PM
so now is it JUST running a red? or does it snap when you stop your car in the crosswalk or whatever ...things like that?

drmosh
01-18-2006, 01:37 PM
This is the easiest ticket to fight. Trial by declaration and claim you were not the driver and your rights say you don't have to say who the driver is.

I have fought camera red light tickets personally and won, you still have to pay the fine first, but they will refund you a check.

Chris in SD
01-18-2006, 04:29 PM
so now is it JUST running a red? or does it snap when you stop your car in the crosswalk or whatever ...things like that?

Your car has to be in the intersection on the red. The rule is that if even the bolt holding your front plate is across the limit line before it turns red, you are safe. If you enter the intersection on a red, then you're at fault. They make sure you are fully culpable by only taking the pic if your car is in the intersection after the red.

As far as the story about pics on yellow, etc., I believe it. When I checked into this, it was 2002 and those issues had been dealt with.

I'll say it again - for those of you who actually (knowingly) run the red light, I pray you never hit someone. I have no sympathy for whatever happens to you.

Skiracer
01-18-2006, 06:52 PM
http://www.socalevo.net/forum/index.php?topic=17395.0

extra "insurance" from redlight cameras :police:

Knower
01-23-2006, 02:58 AM
Your car has to be in the intersection on the red. The rule is that if even the bolt holding your front plate is across the limit line before it turns red, you are safe. If you enter the intersection on a red, then you're at fault. They make sure you are fully culpable by only taking the pic if your car is in the intersection after the red.

As far as the story about pics on yellow, etc., I believe it. When I checked into this, it was 2002 and those issues had been dealt with.

I'll say it again - for those of you who actually (knowingly) run the red light, I pray you never hit someone. I have no sympathy for whatever happens to you.

It's 2006, and it's still a HUGE conflict of interest and there is nothing guaranteeing that these companies couldn't still fiddle with the yellow light timing like they have in the past. If you somehow can set aside the HUGE HUGE HUGE conflict of interest, then how about the fact that I see people SLAM on their brakes or other stupid maneuvers in order to avoid red light camera tickets. Making people not run a red light is not automatically a good thing if it causes other unsafe conditions. It's like arresting someone for driving on the shoulder to avoid an accident. Red light camera tickets are just a money making venture thinly veiled in the claim of safety.

CJexJiggy
01-23-2006, 03:01 AM
http://www.socalevo.net/forum/index.php?topic=17395.0

redlight cameras* * :police:
F**K em! :grin:

909Evo
01-29-2006, 07:26 PM
Wow, i wish i woulda read this earlier.

If you cross the limit line to make a right hand turn, the cam will fire, and you will get a ticket. Someone asked that, i'm just answering.

2nd, I'm not a lawyer, so take my advice with a grain of salt. I just know some people who know some people, and they all know somethings. Anyways apparently somewhere in the red-tape mumbo jumbo that is the beauty of our american court system, the officer has to directly issue you the citation. If not, the courts have no way of proving you ever recieved the citation.... Until the courts send the tickets certified mail... throw it away, there isn't a damned thing they can do about it.

Knower
01-29-2006, 10:50 PM
Wow, i wish i woulda read this earlier.

If you cross the limit line to make a right hand turn, the cam will fire, and you will get a ticket. Someone asked that, i'm just answering.

2nd, I'm not a lawyer, so take my advice with a grain of salt. I just know some people who know some people, and they all know somethings. Anyways apparently somewhere in the red-tape mumbo jumbo that is the beauty of our american court system, the officer has to directly issue you the citation. If not, the courts have no way of proving you ever recieved the citation.... Until the courts send the tickets certified mail... throw it away, there isn't a damned thing they can do about it.

Yeah, but when you go to renew the registration on your car, the DMV won't let you. Have fun driving an unregistered vehicle.