PDA

View Full Version : Tips for Streets of Willow

GenerAznX
01-04-2006, 06:50 PM
I will be attending my first track day at streets of willow. I wanted to start a thread on tips and techniques for driving at streets of willow.

Thanks!

500whp
01-04-2006, 07:18 PM
I will be attending my first track day at streets of willow.* I wanted to start a thread on tips and techniques for driving at streets of willow.

Thanks!

Drive very slow the frist few laps, let your tires warm up. Then recheck the tire pressure (lower it).

Drive slow and get use to the track, speed will come once you are use to the track!

Skiracer
01-04-2006, 07:34 PM
Try to have an instructor in your car whenever you get a chance so he can show you the proper lines and braking points...* Oh, and be VERY careful driving around the bowl. A few cars have flipped going off on the bowl which are turns 6B and 6C on the pic below...

Skiracer
01-04-2006, 07:37 PM
http://socalevo.net/gallery/albums/userpics/11007/normal_105-0572_IMG.JPG

Miss Evo8
01-04-2006, 07:38 PM
zip tie your oil dipstick....advice from John Mueller...Evos have a tendancy to blow them out...thus oil everywhere!

GokuSSJ4
01-05-2006, 12:13 AM
I will be attending my first track day at streets of willow. I wanted to start a thread on tips and techniques for driving at streets of willow.

Thanks!

when are you planing to be there ?
theres a bunch of us going on the 7th... hope to see you there, we can give you as much help as possible (learning the track, lines , braking zones)

MyGlue
01-05-2006, 10:10 AM
Do whatever you can to learn the lines of the course as soon as possible. Best may be to get an instructor and drive with the learners group or at the least go for a ride along and see what lines other people are taking and learn from there. Its no fun trying to learn the lines at speed and with pressure. The sooner you do this the sooner you can start having fun. Also, as 500whp said check tire pressure regularly. Tires will get hot as u drive and as the day goes on. You cant beleive how much of a difference having the right tire pressure will be. I've had so many friends who automatically blame their tires as being bad or not race quality when in fact they're just running too much tire pressure. Be safe and have fun.

GenerAznX
01-05-2006, 10:44 AM
Thanks for all the advice guys! I cant wait.

GenerAznX
01-05-2006, 10:45 AM

Thanks!

when are you planing to be there ?
theres a bunch of us going on the 7th... hope to see you there, we can give you as much help as possible (learning the track, lines , braking zones)

Is this feb 7th? or jan 7th? Who is hosting this event?

Thanks.

sean.

GokuSSJ4
01-05-2006, 11:46 AM
the event is for this weekend (sat & sun) most of us plan to be there on sat.. there some evo owners that will be there on sunday as well..
check out www.speedventures.net for the event information...

SRT Handz
02-22-2006, 01:57 PM
Make sure you can brake at the very last moment before the first turn. Remember go into turns slow, come out fast

[p]dOG.
02-22-2006, 02:15 PM
zip tie your oil dipstick....advice from John Mueller...Evos have a tendancy to blow them out...thus oil everywhere!

oohh.... that would suck!!!

Ricardon
02-22-2006, 02:41 PM
dOG. ]

oohh.... that would suck!!!

It does! Especially when the oil starts to spray up onto your windshield!

Advice from a relative noob like me: Slow down!! I'm not talking about the speed of the car. I'm talking about your movements and inputs...your right foot, your steering etc...

Make everything that you do deliberate. Concentrate on even the most mundane of activities inside the car. Maybe have a running dialogue inside your head of what you are doing until you are comfortable with the track and the speed (i.e. "brake, brake, brake, now turn in, now get on the gas") I know it sounds goofy, but it's just an example to get you thinking of what I'm talking about. When you slow your movements down and make them deliberate, you'll notice that your level of focus increases significantly and you're better able to absorb all the stimuli that will otherwise be completely overwhelming. Ask anyone that goes to the track/has been to the track....your first time out is a literal assault on the senses!

oh yeah...most importantly, have fun!! It's not a penis size contest and there are no chicks in bikinis and oversized bottles of champaign, so just go out and learn something and have fun!!

Senshi
02-22-2006, 03:33 PM
lol i can just see rich talking to himself during a whole run session, shit he just never stops talking :2funny:
but what he says really is true about making your movements slow and not making any unnecessary ones

GokuSSJ4
02-22-2006, 10:26 PM
lol i can just see rich talking to himself during a whole run session, shit he just never stops talking* :2funny:
but what he says really is true about making your movements slow and not making any unnecessary ones

so true, on the talking but yet his advice in regards the driving and talking to your self, do work!

Miss Evo8
02-22-2006, 11:46 PM
Pay for some professional driving lessons! This bit of advice was given to me..... "Its amazing that people will spend all this money on modding their car..... But will not spend a fucking penny learning to drive the damn thing!"

Makes perfect sense to me! I will be doing that soon.....

Note to self..... Will become one of the fastest drivers on So Cal Evo!!!

So MEH AND BAH TO ALL OF YOU!!!!

GokuSSJ4
02-23-2006, 12:07 AM
bah!
anything is possible with $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

gt40
02-23-2006, 12:28 AM
Get some lessons and track time - You passed up 3 different chances to go with mueller- now that is really funny :p

Great job Miss Evo8 O0

Miss Evo8
02-23-2006, 01:13 AM
Thanks Gt40! Sorry your car was acting up I was very curious to see how your new tires did....

Senshi
02-23-2006, 02:03 AM
Miss Evo8 if your serious about becoming a better driver i highly recomend skip barber 3 day racing school.

GokuSSJ4
02-23-2006, 09:32 AM
Get some lessons and track time - You passed up 3 different chances to go with mueller- now that is really funny :p

Great job Miss Evo8 O0

what!
don't get me started.... i have my reasons behind it... simple as that!

gt40
02-23-2006, 09:34 AM
nevermind... You are going to do your own thing and that is coo. Just realize that ANYONE benefits from getting lessons or having someone more experienced go on a ride along with them at the track. I will never pass up a chance to ride with Otto, Mueller, Robi etc.

GokuSSJ4
02-23-2006, 09:38 AM
what difference does it make when i won't track the car for the next 6-8 months... like i said i have my reasons behind it and one of them it is me getting comfortable with the car all over again as well as being able to trust the brakes...

Miss Evo8
02-23-2006, 10:04 AM
what difference does it make when i won't track the car for the next 6-8 months... like i said i have my reasons behind it and one of them it is me getting comfortable with the car all over again as well as being able to trust the brakes...

WTF!!! Why do you always have some "Issue" with your brakes?? Didn't u put new pads at the track?

Muellerized...
02-23-2006, 12:43 PM
bah!
anything is possible with $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I don't recall asking for any compensation to help you. I offered to show you the proper line around SOW, as you have had a rough time getting back into the groove after wrecking your previous car then having repeated 'issues' with the brakes. I made myself available to you because it has been clear from observing your lines on track you need a refresher course in the proper line which will allow you to not abuse the tire/brakes so much, as evidenced by this pic, where you are at least 10 feet off of the line.
http://static.flickr.com/42/102624602_24584e0bc2_o.jpg

When you drive offline, you are picking up all of the loose bits of rubber and gravel on your tires, which leads to you throwing your car off of the road. You were the only person out of the 9 cars we ran that day to have any on track issues, and also the only person to try and learn your own way. I would be happy to help you in the future, just ask.

kmEVO818
02-23-2006, 01:18 PM
C'mon John, you know it was Goku's brake pads that was not allowing him to drive the correct line* :grin:.
(BTW check your email regarding my alignment)

GokuSSJ4
02-23-2006, 01:37 PM
it has nothing to do with $$$$ when i ment that comment nor direct it to you... it was directed at Missevo8, since she has mention before that she will start to pay $$$ for driving lessons. It has nothing to do with you teaching me the lines,. i did notice with the pictures that i'm way off and i'm not driving the way i should.. but theres other issues i need to tackle before getting some instruction from you or any other instructor at the track...
anyways i'm taking a break away from tracking my car for awhile, an i need to focus in other things that are important in my life as well...

Senshi
02-23-2006, 05:13 PM
I really dont see what other issues u would need to tackle at the track other then lerning the lines and braking points those 2 thing are what will make you fast around the track, but this is something i'm sure you already know.....

GokuSSJ4
02-23-2006, 07:56 PM
I really dont see what other issues u would need to tackle at the track other then lerning the lines and braking points those 2 thing are what will make you fast around the track, but this is something i'm sure you already know.....

yes i do, i know i can always learn from others by either following them around the track (have learn a couple of things from mueller and robi) as well as getting 1 on 1 intruction, but i have issues :P

Miss Evo8
02-23-2006, 09:31 PM

yes i do, i know i can always learn from others by either following them around the track (have learn a couple of things from mueller and robi) as well as getting 1 on 1 intruction, but i have issues :P

What are your issues? Is it because my car's prettier then yours?