PDA

View Full Version : Walmart is Racist!

ultraflip
01-06-2006, 07:36 AM
one of the many reasons why i do not shop at wal mart

Racist Comments Shut Down Wal-Mart Web Movie Suggestions Friday, January 06, 2006

Wal-Mart Stores Inc. (WMT) is shutting down the system that creates movie recommendations on its shopping Web site after it linked a "Planet of the Apes" DVD to films about famous black Americans, including Martin Luther King Jr.

Wal-Mart said Thursday it had removed what it called the "offensive combinations" from a walmart.com page advertising a boxed DVD set, "Planet of the Apes: The Complete TV Series." Under a "similar items" section, the DVD set's page linked shoppers to four films about the lives of King, actress Dorothy Dandridge, boxer Jack Johnson and singer Tina Turner. Wal-Mart later altered the page to link with television show DVDs.

The world's largest retailer said the software that generates links for shoppers from one movie to others of similar interest would be shut down. All cross references would be removed as soon as technically possible until the system can be fixed, Wal-Mart said.

Bill Wertz, a spokesman for the Bentonville, Ark.-based company, said it wasn't yet clear how or when the technical problem arose. "We're still looking into it," he said. Wal-Mart moved swiftly after a link to the page for "Planet of the Apes" began circulating on the Internet.

"We are heartsick that this happened and are currently doing everything possible to correct the problem," Wal-Mart spokeswoman Mona Williams said in a statement.

"Walmart.com's item mapping process does not work correctly and at this point is mapping seemingly random combinations of titles. We were horrified to discover that some hurtful and offensive combinations are being mapped together," she said, adding that the company was "deeply sorry that this happened."

"To further illustrate the bizarre nature of this technical issue, the site is also mapping movies such as 'Home Alone' and 'Power Puff Girls' to African-American-themed DVDs," Williams said.

A documentary about surfers, "Riding Giants," links to the same list of seemingly unrelated fantasy films as the King biopic, including "Polar Express" and "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory."

Terry S
01-06-2006, 10:50 AM
Sounds like someone jacked up the coding for that. Hilarious.

Terry S

NipponHamFighters
01-08-2006, 03:22 AM
I doubt it was a mistake, been boycotting Walmart since the first day they set foot in California. They are one of the huge corporations who continue to become wealthier without contributing to the local communities they establish themselves in. Only recently they have changed their slogan to "Your Walmart" but they have yet to back up their slogan with community involvement. They offer national scholarships, but for goodness sakes $1500.00 towards college will only cover maybe one semester!

There are many books about this epidemic such as "Nickle and Dimed" where a reporter actually worked to walmart for a full year in order to get inside the huge corporations practice. A perfect example of how they have grasps over lower income families, is locking their employees in after hours and making them clock out while they finish up work. These employees were not allowed to leave until the store manager would deem their jobs were done for the day. HORRIBLE! Walmart should stick to the south, and let us have GEMCO and FEDCO BACK!!! HAHAHA

alex_alex
01-15-2006, 03:27 PM
I doubt it was a mistake, been boycotting Walmart since the first day they set foot in California. They are one of the huge corporations who continue to become wealthier without contributing to the local communities they establish themselves in. Only recently they have changed their slogan to "Your Walmart" but they have yet to back up their slogan with community involvement. They offer national scholarships, but for goodness sakes $1500.00 towards college will only cover maybe one semester!

There are many books about this epidemic such as "Nickle and Dimed" where a reporter actually worked to walmart for a full year in order to get inside the huge corporations practice. A perfect example of how they have grasps over lower income families, is locking their employees in after hours and making them clock out while they finish up work. These employees were not allowed to leave until the store manager would deem their jobs were done for the day. HORRIBLE! Walmart should stick to the south, and let us have GEMCO and FEDCO BACK!!! HAHAHA

The anti-Walmart rhetoric gets old quick. No one is forcing anyone to work at Wal-mart. If you're against the free market economy, that is a whole 'nother story.

gofaster87
01-15-2006, 04:49 PM
What a crock of shit. No one forces anyone to shop or work there. Plenty of other jobs and places to shop so no complaining allowed. Ill let you in on a little secret, I actually worked for them for a month because I needed a night job. This was ages ago in Arizona but they treated me like any other place would and they didnt lock me in when I wasnt done. Do you pull this shit out of your ass Nipponfagfighters or do you believe everything you read in the media? One other point, there is no reason any company needs to give back to anything; to anyone or any community. Charity is the biggest problem in the US. Everyone now expects it. Bullshit, go earn your own way to college.

genrec
01-15-2006, 06:52 PM
What a crock of shit. No one forces anyone to shop or work there. Plenty of other jobs and places to shop so no complaining allowed. Ill let you in on a little secret, I actually worked for them for a month because I needed a night job. This was ages ago in Arizona but they treated me like any other place would and they didnt lock me in when I wasnt done. Do you pull this shit out of your ass Nipponfagfighters or do you believe everything you read in the media? One other point, there is no reason any company needs to give back to anything; to anyone or any community. Charity is the biggest problem in the US. Everyone now expects it. Bullshit, go earn your own way to college.

amen.

Chris in SD
01-15-2006, 10:42 PM
And I thought Sam would actually chill out in Vegas... LOL :2funny:

nothere
01-16-2006, 07:39 AM
sorry bro, more power to walmart and less power to the crying whine-rs

WavMixer
01-16-2006, 08:24 AM
Walmart shmalmart. I buy a handful of things there on a regular basis because they are cheap. However most of what we consume is not sold at Walmart. Does anyone here remember when Walmart used to boast about selling only American made products? Look on the shelves now and you'll be hard pressed to find something not labeled Made in China.

One thing I will give Walmart credit for, they are hiring Americans! You can walk up to any employee, ask a question and get an answer... in english. Grant you they may not be the most literate people in the world, but they are American illiterates! Then there is the subject of outsourcing... Another time, another thread.

Chris in SD
01-16-2006, 09:27 AM
Then there is the subject of outsourcing... Another time, another thread.

You are wanting Slurpee with your IT solutions, sahib? O0

chuckdashi
01-16-2006, 11:07 AM

You are wanting Slurpee with your IT solutions, sahib?* *O0

hahahahahaha :2funny: :2funny: :2funny: :2funny: :2funny:

drmosh
01-19-2006, 12:42 PM
It's because of the semantic coding, has nothing to do with Walmart... Walmart supports the chinese economy man!!

EvoPwr
01-19-2006, 04:23 PM

hmm ever heard of taco bell? burger king? Ralphs? Vons? 7-11? and many other stores that always have help wanted signs out? i couldn't give a flying fuck for these employees. they are not forced to do anything. they have a choice. they can work off of the clock, or contact a lawyer, or quit the job, or refuse to work off of the clock. stop feeling sorry for dumbass people, if they don't like working off of the clock they should do something about it.

sounds like the cities fault for allowing wal-mart on their land. don't get angry at a company for making money, blame the city, employees and customers that shop there. i guess we should all boycott alcohol companies because of the many deaths they have caused by drunk drivers and liver disease. give me a fucking break :roll:

GOOSE_Ej
01-19-2006, 07:59 PM
i just hate Walmart i never go in there. Its always dirty, packed with ppl never in safe places... screw that the walmart by my house ppl been shot and stuff no way dude i wont go at all ill just go to target and pay a little more

WavMixer
01-23-2006, 10:04 AM

You are wanting Slurpee with your IT solutions, sahib? O0
no shit!

Mulholland
01-25-2006, 12:48 AM
Another example of the fascist labor unions and Democrats demonizing a successful corporation that provides low priced goods to the disadvantaged and provides jobs to the community...The demonization is all about union labor thuggery and Democrat complicity.

stuart5150
02-23-2006, 10:10 AM
I dont go to Walmart b/c its in a fu*ka$$ area. Panorama City sucks! and its always dirty and crowded in there I will go to Target instead. I would like to shoot the target sign though I wonder what would happen besides going to jail :2funny:

Sir Lancer Lot
03-13-2006, 12:39 PM
Walmart has great prices on Mobil 1. One of the few things I get there. Everytime I'm there, I see a bunch of mutants. It's like the cast of "The Hills Have Eyes" shop there.

gen4k20a2
03-29-2006, 11:01 AM
exactly as long as the moblie 1 flows cheaply like wine....ill shop there

outlaw heart
04-11-2006, 05:23 PM
walmart is ghetto, but damn!!, the shit is cheap there. it's worth dealing with the ghettoness (sp?) to save the money.

EvoStevo
04-11-2006, 05:52 PM
TARGET BABY... thats my spot. O0