PDA

View Full Version : What type of helmet would you recommend?

BlueBooster
01-06-2006, 04:38 PM
Alright - I need to get a helmet for track days. I know where to find them, but am curious about a couple things.

One: Saftey rating. What rating is gonna cover me for the majority of events that an novice racer like myself would attend?

Two: What type of helmet would you recommend? Open faced, closed - what type of features should I look for?

Thanks in advance!
O0

rammsteinmatt
01-06-2006, 05:29 PM
SA2005 would do you fine for 10 years (IIRC) long as you dont damage it, like in an accident.

also make sure you try it on to see if it fits well and is comfortable. proper fitment is absolutely essential

500whp
01-07-2006, 12:52 AM
SA2005 would do you fine for 10 years (IIRC) long as you dont damage it, like in an accident.

also make sure you try it on to see if it fits well and is comfortable.* proper fitment is absolutely essential

2nd that!

SA2005 (thats the rating) so any helmet with that rating will be good to go!!

BlueBooster
01-07-2006, 01:34 AM
Are you guys running open face helmets - seems it would be cooler in the summer time.

EVO Neil
01-07-2006, 02:33 AM
Are you guys running open face helmets - seems it would be cooler in the summer time.

Not a chance...closed face for me.

xfactor_evo
01-07-2006, 04:29 AM
you should wear an open face helmet if you are still using an airbag. closed face if your not. if an airbag goes off while your wearing a closed face it can do a whole lot of damage to you. O0

500whp
01-07-2006, 09:23 AM
you should wear an open face helmet if you are still using an airbag. closed face if your not. if an airbag goes off while your wearing a closed face it can do a whole lot of damage to you. O0

ture but i would rather have a close mask than open

russjnco
02-10-2006, 04:11 PM

I believe the SCCA is moving towards mandating open face helmets for cars still running the steering wheel airbag FWIW. It's not mandatory yet but say you do label yourself, probably better off when an open face. Besides, its cooler!

silvery_eagle
02-10-2006, 04:32 PM
^ +1... close face is too hot i can't breathe sometimes

Richard EVO
02-10-2006, 04:43 PM
I have an open face motorcycle helmet I paid $70 for 2 1/2 years ago. I have used it a lots of events, no one has ever complained about it. There is an SCCA bulletin stating that open faced helmets are safer when the car has an air bag -- I had to show that to Speed Trials USA, and they bought into it. I think I would find closed face too restrictive.

Chris in SD
02-10-2006, 04:47 PM
I have a Bell M3 Kevlar - nice and light, closed face...

Ricardon
02-10-2006, 04:51 PM
Closed-face Simpson w/Iridium shield here FTW!!

Terry S
02-10-2006, 05:04 PM
Any vendors in here sell open faced helmets? I need to pick up two sometime soon...

Terry S

rammsteinmatt
02-10-2006, 05:22 PM
since lots of people use harness when tracking, it wouldnt matter if they have an open or closed face, because chances are the harnesses (if adjusted correctly) will barely allow your head to reach the airbag range.

and if you are using harnesses and crash, you have alot more things to worry about than your face hitting an inflated airbag. namely, being crushed in a rolling car, or breaking your skull because you are not wearing a HANS device

DTunedEvoX
02-10-2006, 05:40 PM
I have a closed face with removable face ... if that makes sense sense .. lol ..

GokuSSJ4
02-10-2006, 05:48 PM
Closed-face Simpson w/Iridium shield here FTW!!

+1

Ricardon
02-10-2006, 05:56 PM
since lots of people use harness when tracking, it wouldnt matter if they have an open or closed face, because chances are the harnesses (if adjusted correctly) will barely allow your head to reach the airbag range.

and if you are using harnesses and crash, you have alot more things to worry about than your face hitting an inflated airbag. namely, being crushed in a rolling car, or breaking your skull because you are not wearing a HANS device

Although the points you make anti harness are totally valid, I'll still take my chances with a harness. For me, the benefits really do outweigh the consequences. I'm so damned tall that if I get my roof dirty without a full cage, I'm not walking away from it. I'll take the stuck in the seat with spaghetti legs feeling ^^

GokuSSJ4
02-10-2006, 06:00 PM

Although the points you make anti harness are totally valid, I'll still take my chances with a harness. For me, the benefits really do outweigh the consequences. I'm so damned tall that if I get my roof dirty without a full cage, I'm not walking away from it. I'll take the stuck in the seat with spaghetti legs feeling ^^

how you ever watch a video or seen how much movement the stock seat belts allow during a roll over ? you will be suprise how easily you can get hurt by flying all over the place when such thing occurs. believe it or not , away from the roof caving in, which with some evos it hasn't been an issue; a harness will keep your ass safe.

Ricardon
02-10-2006, 06:07 PM
Were you trying to argue against me or help me with my point? hehehe. Like I said, it works for me, but matt's argument is valid. I just kinda lean toward the whole thought process of if I crash/roll without a cage I'm toast anyway, so....

GokuSSJ4
02-10-2006, 08:22 PM
Were you trying to argue against me or help me with my point? hehehe. Like I said, it works for me, but matt's argument is valid. I just kinda lean toward the whole thought process of if I crash/roll without a cage I'm toast anyway, so....

sorry, i meant to quote matt on this one... i had the chance to watch an inside cavin video, to how much movement you are able to have on such situation with the stock belt, it's not a pretty picture...

Miss Evo8
02-11-2006, 08:27 AM
I don't have a shield on mine....need to get one though....You will get hit by rocks, tire debris....I was blinded by a bug once that flew into my eye! That sucked! When I was able to come off the track and look I had this huge wigged black bug stuck to my eyelashes! Maybe you can find some sunglasses to wear inside the helmet? I've seen people do that.

GokuSSJ4
02-11-2006, 09:24 AM
is this the time that some stock integra was able to keep up with you ???
excuses , excuses :buck2: lame..................

Miss Evo8
02-11-2006, 09:32 AM
excuses , excuses* :buck2: lame..................

YES and it was because I had a damn BUG in my eye! and was this also one of the times your car did a "Dukes of Hazzard Jump"?

GokuSSJ4
02-11-2006, 09:35 AM
excuses , excuses :buck2: lame..................

YES and it was because I had a damn BUG in my eye! and was this also one of the times your car did a "Dukes of Hazzard Jump"?

tha happen at least 8 months ago.....

Miss Evo8
02-11-2006, 09:43 AM
excuses , excuses* :buck2: lame..................

tha happen at least 8 months ago.....

OH Really?........but it happened!* :D

Goku Duke.....YEEEE HAW!!!!! Is your car named the "General Lee" * :2funny:

GokuSSJ4
02-11-2006, 10:07 AM
ok....
lame.............

BlueBooster
02-11-2006, 12:16 PM
I ended up getting a fulmer helmet at super autobacs. $100 for my first helmet - I figured I could get a different one if I didn't end up liking it & not be out a bunch of money. It felt good when I was on the track, but I can see where a open face would b nice on a hot track day.

Miss Evo8
02-11-2006, 12:32 PM
ok....*
lame.............

Anyhow....what happened to your "Brokeback Mountain" themed sig. ?