PDA

View Full Version : engagement rings

itsnino
01-09-2006, 05:30 PM
im not saying im jumping into marriage just yet, i just wanted to do my research before doing anything.

this question is for the married men/women in this community:

when buying an engagement ring, where did you go? (i know i should know about diamonds and researching etc, etc, etc)

i was thinking of getting my *possible* fiancee a Tiffany's engagement ring, but im not sure if im jsut paying for the brand name. any help from anyone would be great

::puts on flame suit::: :2funny:

Skiracer
01-09-2006, 05:38 PM
Cubic Zirconia!

DTunedEvoX
01-09-2006, 05:48 PM
Dude .. Robin's Brothers .. worlds biggest engagement ring store. ... (damn radio commercials) ..

hksevo8
01-09-2006, 05:55 PM
I totally know where you are coming from. *When I started the process of buying my wife her engagement ring, I wa skeptical on how I would be treated whenever I stepped into a store. *I almost felt like prey when walking into some of the places I went. *My suggestion is to go to the jewelry district in LA as your first stop. *They can/will help you figure out what is the best ring for you and your budget. *Research, Research, Research....the more you know about what you are buying, the better off you will be. *Learn everything you can about stones. *If you do not know what you are looking at, most jewelers will figure this out and screw you....

I ended up buying the ring from Robbins Brothers. *The reason. * Service.

They did not treat me like I was a commision only purchase. *They understood my needs and set me up with exactly what I wanted. *NO pressure.

They also continue the service long after you buy the ring. *

Good Luck...and congrats.

CHIGGA73
01-09-2006, 06:45 PM
i agree with hksevo8, robins brother's is a great service. cleaning and warrantee. they guarantee the settings if it is lost.

i bought my wife her ring there (the engagement and wedding band) i got the diamond from a family friend who hooked me up.

robins bros is a good place to see the market value of the ring. There is a HUGE mark up on diamonds and rings. i probably saved myself $1500-2k on the diamond alone (cause my contact gave me wholesale pricing).

bogey8
01-09-2006, 07:02 PM
Cubic Zirconia!

+1

She'll never know the difference unless she gets it appraised. If she finds out, tell her it's not how much it costs that's important, its what it symbolizes. Then use the money you save and buy a bigger turbo for your Evo.

speedracer2169
01-09-2006, 07:29 PM
I went to Kevin Jewlers in westminster mall. Michelle was the girl that helped me out. She took real good care of me

evo_chip
01-09-2006, 07:45 PM
I bought my wifes engament ring set at robins bros, and everything was great but last year she wanted to "upgrade" so we went to santana jewerly exchance and we got a wedding set of 3 karats total for 2700 with lifetime warranty and free cleaning for 1 yr. and they give you a guarantee that states it will apraise at twice the price you payed which comes in handy if you get insurance on it. hope this helps

j_nizzle
01-09-2006, 07:53 PM
im not saying im jumping into marriage just yet, i just wanted to do my research before doing anything.

this question is for the married men/women in this community:

when buying an engagement ring, where did you go? (i know i should know about diamonds and researching etc, etc, etc)

i was thinking of getting my *possible* fiancee a Tiffany's engagement ring, but im not sure if im jsut paying for the brand name. any help from anyone would be great

::puts on flame suit::: :2funny:

i got sucked into a bracelet from tiffany's a few months ago....might be sucked in for ring a few more if i dont play my cards right...looks like robbin's bros is the place to go like the guys said! good luck!

GOOSE_Ej
01-09-2006, 09:47 PM
robin's bros is good my bro went there great prices :)

DTunedEvoX
01-10-2006, 12:02 AM
I agree with the Robin's Bro's service ... I mean just stepping into the place they are like

"Oh congratulations" and shit like that lol ..

Do it, do it, do it ..

They are the RRE/TT/Project Gen/(insertyourownpersonalvendorhere) of the Engagement Ring Business lol :2funny:

itsnino
01-10-2006, 09:50 AM
i was completely sold on a Tiffany ring, but robbin's brothers looks like they might get thrown into the mix. i guess im gonna have to give them a try as well.

thanks everyone for your help!!! and a Cubic Z engagement ring is like getting a lancer without the evolution :2funny:

bogey8
01-10-2006, 10:54 AM
i was completely sold on a Tiffany ring, but robbin's brothers looks like they might get thrown into the mix. i guess im gonna have to give them a try as well.

thanks everyone for your help!!! and a Cubic Z engagement ring is like getting a lancer without the evolution :2funny:

But who will be wearing the ring? Her not you. It's like buying her an Evo and you don't get to drive it.

But good luck anyway. Remember it's your money, spend it (on yourself) wisely. O0

KRS333
01-10-2006, 11:05 AM
Why even get married??????????????????????????????

itsnino
01-10-2006, 12:42 PM

thanks everyone for your help!!! and a Cubic Z engagement ring is like getting a lancer without the evolution* *:2funny:

But who will be wearing the ring? Her not you. It's like buying her an Evo and you don't get to drive it.

But good luck anyway.* Remember it's your money, spend it (on yourself) wisely.* *O0

this guy. hahaha. ive spent enough on myself, well not enough on the evo =(

Bills Evo
01-10-2006, 08:28 PM
Do like I did and marry a woman who's into cars. She now has a silver '05 evo with quite a few goodies on it. So now whenever we get her something and it's always for her car, I get something of equal price for mine. I'm grateful she's wnting to learn about her car, 'cause she helps me with oil changes, installing turbo timers, boost controllers, fuel pumps, short throw shifter, removing the bumpers and all kinds of other shit. She's great. :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

itsnino
01-11-2006, 10:17 AM
Do like I did and marry a woman who's into cars. She now has a silver '05 evo with quite a few goodies on it. So now whenever we get her something and it's always for her car, I get something of equal price for mine. I'm grateful she's wnting to learn about her car, 'cause she helps me with oil changes, installing turbo timers, boost controllers, fuel pumps, short throw shifter, removing the bumpers and all kinds of other shit. She's great. :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

thats the prob, she likes my car soo much that she drives it all the time. i dont trust many people to drive my car but im the one that taught her how to drive stick (on my old civic of course). she drives faster than me regularly but if needed, i put my foot down the gas pedal. hahaha...

bogey8
01-11-2006, 10:40 AM

thats the prob, she likes my car soo much that she drives it all the time. i dont trust many people to drive my car but im the one that taught her how to drive stick (on my old civic of course). she drives faster than me regularly but if needed, i put my foot down the gas pedal. hahaha...

haha sounds like you have a bigger problem. She's already claimed ownership of your Evo even before getting the engagement ring.

you have to let her know that you're the man and what you own is yours. But if she works and pays for half then that's a different story. souinds like she already has her hand in your wallet and you're not even married yet.

suyfergirl
01-11-2006, 01:18 PM
From a women's POV (and a jewelry expert)

Tiffany is nice, but unless you're a millionare that doesn't care about how much you spend, and you want the prestige of Tiffany, it's not worth it.
The settings are gorgeous. I love the Lucida Setting, and the Etoile settings from Tiffany, but you can get it made at any jeweler.

now, DO NOT waste your time at normal run of the mill mall jewelers. (exception is South Coast Plaza... not really a mall anyway.) This includes Whitehall, Zales, Kay, etc. Bad quality. Just say no.

Now then. I say reasearch your little heart out (www.bluenile.com is a good resource) and buy the diamond from a wholesaler/LA Jewelry district is good...

THEN take the diamond to a nice Jeweler. Either find a setting you love, and use that, or

DESIGN YOUR OWN!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lots of jewelers will help you do this. I don't know whether your woman likes classic, solitares with no side stones, which it sounds like she might, if you liked the Tiffany settings, theirs are pretty plain (but amazingly beautiful) But, if she wants something more unique, this is where you can get creative, and make a masterpeice for her.

WORD OF ADVICE

if you want the ring to be a suprise, at least find out what metal she wants AND what shape diamonds she likes.... some girls are very picky. For me, I HATE PRINCESS. I'm a round, oval, emerald, or radiant kind of girl. But most women like princess the best.... that's the kinda thing you NEED TO KNOW.

good luck!

Miss Evo8
01-12-2006, 05:58 PM
Research.....it's all about the 3 C's Color, Cut and Clarity!!!! Not all diamonds are created equal! Also certain cuts are more expensive then others....it takes a much larger diamond to cut say a flawless 2C. Heart shaped solitare then it would a 2C. round brilliant. Any ring you buy should be certified...for the 3 C's!!!! You will know if you are getting quality!!!!

bcmind
01-12-2006, 07:26 PM

+1 :idiot2:

avoid it at all cost... Leykis 101

Chris in SD
01-12-2006, 07:42 PM

EXACTLY :idiot2:

Chris in SD
01-12-2006, 07:43 PM
From a women's POV (and a jewelry expert)
.... etc. etc. etc.

Uh oh - Jeff's in trouble... :grin:

EvoPwr
01-12-2006, 07:44 PM
I totally know where you are coming from. When I started the process of buying my wife her engagement ring, I wa skeptical on how I would be treated whenever I stepped into a store. I almost felt like prey when walking into some of the places I went. My suggestion is to go to the jewelry district in LA as your first stop. They can/will help you figure out what is the best ring for you and your budget. Research, Research, Research....the more you know about what you are buying, the better off you will be. Learn everything you can about stones. If you do not know what you are looking at, most jewelers will figure this out and screw you....

I ended up buying the ring from Robbins Brothers. The reason. Service.

They did not treat me like I was a commision only purchase. They understood my needs and set me up with exactly what I wanted. NO pressure.

They also continue the service long after you buy the ring.

Good Luck...and congrats.

yup thats where i went...too bad things didnt work out fucking bitch. but great service there...no pressure......that fucking bitch.

Macky
01-12-2006, 08:04 PM

does she have a twin sister?

wirespeed
01-12-2006, 08:30 PM
my mom has been in the jewelry industry for 10+ years...she has worked in the jewelry district in downtown before moving on to another place...anyways i'm currently shopping for a ring (promise ring) and instead of buying from her store she told me to go to downtown. she says downtown is cheaper even though she gets discount from her store. basically downtown have the best prices and even better if you can bargain n u know what u are looking for. luckily for me my mom will go with me but just do some research before spending so much money on something and dont forget you can bargain....she says diamonds can be bargain down to as much as 60% at her store...so dont be fooled by high end places.

itsnino
01-13-2006, 09:20 AM
thanks for the help everyone, even the aforementioned leykis comments. hahaha...

gofaster87
01-13-2006, 11:15 AM
my mom has been in the jewelry industry for 10+ years...she has worked in the jewelry district in downtown before moving on to another place...anyways i'm currently shopping for a ring (promise ring) and instead of buying from her store she told me to go to downtown.* she says downtown is cheaper even though she gets discount from her store.* basically downtown have the best prices and even better if you can bargain n u know what u are looking for.* luckily for me my mom will go with me but just do some research before spending so much money on something and dont forget you can bargain....she says diamonds can be bargain down to as much as 60% at her store...so dont be fooled by high end places.

Half of downtown is a scam. Dont know how many times people have been ripped off by getting something that was of lesser grade than advertised. My mother is in the business as well and you wouldnt believe the markup on that crap. I wont buy from anyone but her, at least I can get authentic graded diamonds and the proper graded gold or platinum.

silvery_eagle
01-13-2006, 11:37 AM
yup thats where i went...too bad things didnt work out fucking bitch.* but great service there...no pressure......that fucking bitch.

whoa who's the bitch you're referring to?

Absinthe
01-13-2006, 01:16 PM
If your interested I have a family friend who wholesales diamonds to many high-end jewelery stores in SF I can put you intouch with him he is awsome, trust worthy, and service oriented, to the point I told him what stone I needed and as well as my price range and he came back with 6 for me to look at ranging in size/cut/color etc within 1,500 of my given price point.

itsnino
01-13-2006, 02:29 PM
If your interested I have a family friend who wholesales diamonds to many high-end jewelery stores in SF I can put you intouch with him he is awsome, trust worthy, and service oriented, to the point I told him what stone I needed and as well as my price range and he came back with 6 for me to look at ranging in size/cut/color etc within 1,500 of my given price point.

thanks for the help. i will def keep that in mind!

WavMixer
01-13-2006, 03:01 PM
I bought Mrs. Wav's wedding ring at Crescent Jewers a few years back. I just recently got her a bigger set and Crescent gave me the full price I paid on her previous set towards a new set.

EvoPwr
01-13-2006, 05:53 PM
yup thats where i went...too bad things didnt work out fucking bitch. but great service there...no pressure......that fucking bitch.

whoa who's the bitch you're referring to?

uhhh is it not obvious? :?

suyfergirl
01-15-2006, 12:11 PM
my mom has been in the jewelry industry for 10+ years...she has worked in the jewelry district in downtown before moving on to another place...anyways i'm currently shopping for a ring (promise ring) and instead of buying from her store she told me to go to downtown.* she says downtown is cheaper even though she gets discount from her store.* basically downtown have the best prices and even better if you can bargain n u know what u are looking for.* luckily for me my mom will go with me but just do some research before spending so much money on something and dont forget you can bargain....she says diamonds can be bargain down to as much as 60% at her store...so dont be fooled by high end places.

Oh Brother....
a promise ring??? It sounds all cute and stuff... but what the hell is the point unless you're in the military or something?
EVERYONE that I know that has gotten or given a promise ring... it's NEVER worked out. Becuase there is no point to them. If you really love the person, and really want to marry them some day, just freakin tell them that... She shouldn't need to wear a ring just to make her feel better becuase she doesn't have an engagement ring yet. It's just silly. Save your f'n money for the real thing.

Sorry, I just gag at the idea of promise rings, unless you're in the Military and being deployed. That's where the idea for promise rings came from in the first place. And now it's just used for pansy college kids who want to seem grown up, and say that they are going to marry someone before either of them have a carrer, or know anything at all about where life is going to lead them.

A good friend of mine just got "promised" It takes all my strength not to tell her how lame it is, becuase she's so excited.

Alfred@TTech
01-15-2006, 12:27 PM
If youre really serious about needing to find a good place to buy jewlery pm me. I have bought a lot of it...(ask my wife)....I only buy the best quality at the best price.
Good luck