PDA

View Full Version : Future Warfare

Dmoney
01-11-2006, 02:03 PM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10805240/?GT1=7538

This could be the next generation of warfare....and this is where our tax dollars are going :-P

Voltron
01-11-2006, 02:06 PM
is this what flip is doing?

Dmoney
01-11-2006, 02:32 PM
Probably. Satalite Communication is an important factor with this new beam weapon so most likely he is.

GOOSE_Ej
01-11-2006, 04:07 PM
damn!!1

Terry S
01-11-2006, 04:09 PM
Until this actually gets used, its all just theory. They've been talking about this stuff for several decades now. It's past the time we should have rail guns, lasers and microwave weapons on every weapons platform in the military. :tickedoff:

Terry S

speedracer2169
01-11-2006, 04:13 PM
meh my M16 is good enough for me :angel:

rammsteinmatt
01-11-2006, 05:34 PM
Until this actually gets used, its all just theory. They've been talking about this stuff for several decades now. It's past the time we should have rail guns, lasers and microwave weapons on every weapons platform in the military. :tickedoff:

Terry S

exactly.

although they have done tests already with lasers. they can track a howitzer round as it streaks across the sky (cant remember if they said they shot it down or not)
but howitzer rounds fly pretty dang fast, so that is amazing

rammsteinmatt
01-11-2006, 05:36 PM
this biggest hurdle (among many) i'd say is the power source. current lasers of this magnitude require large generators and long periods to generate enough energy for one pulse, something that may be im practical for even the largest of [reasonable] cargo planes

Terry S
01-11-2006, 05:42 PM
this biggest hurdle (among many) i'd say is the power source.* current lasers of this magnitude require large generators and long periods to generate enough energy for one pulse, something that may be im practical for even the largest of [reasonable] cargo planes

Which is why they've been focusing alot of effort on super-capacitors in the last few years. It's just too bad everything seems to "cost a buttload" and is "too big to be feasable in combat". Bunch of BS if you ask me.

Terry S

rammsteinmatt
01-11-2006, 06:16 PM
this biggest hurdle (among many) i'd say is the power source. current lasers of this magnitude require large generators and long periods to generate enough energy for one pulse, something that may be im practical for even the largest of [reasonable] cargo planes

Which is why they've been focusing alot of effort on super-capacitors in the last few years. It's just too bad everything seems to "cost a buttload" and is "too big to be feasable in combat". Bunch of BS if you ask me.

Terry S

im all for the military, war, technology, and always being one step ahead. hell im an aerospace engineer trying to get a job with a defense contractor. but sometimes it makes me wonder..............
we hit them with a $20m missile. they throw a rock and return small-arms fire.
we use planes that can't be seen on radar. they dont have radar.
we have bunker busters that can break through 100 ft of concrete. they live in mud houses

ok, im gonna stop, im starting to sound like a liberal pacifist pussy.
actually the airborne laser, if we can get it to work, is an extremely large step in national defense. (some may know that the missiles that specifically target ICBMs in the upper atmosphere dont work that well. im not talking about the patriot missles that shoot down SCUDs and other low flying missiles - those work awesome)

while im on my soapbox. fk all those people that think we should stop the shuttle missions because 14 people have died in crashes. sure, we DO need to find a replacement for the shuttle, but not because of loss of human life. astronauts get on STS flights knowing that the may very well die. do you realize the amount of energy (power) it requires to get into space, let alone a low-earth orbit? onlt 14 losses, sure its not good (morally) but playing the averages, thats pretty fking fantastic. also same with military casualties. please, a handfull of deaths a day............ look at the statistics for world war II, and those people felt it was an honor to fight the [evil] axis powers. regretfully we have to lose some of the most patriotic people in the country to these neanderthal terrorists, but thats what it takes to preserve the american way of life.

we need to adopt a defense method similar to the idea conceived in the movie "swordfish". where through military actions, the cost of attacking america or its way of life is so costly [to the terrorists] that they cannot afford to continue their alleged reign of terror.

mods, dont send this to political forum, because it'll get all blown out of proportions there. and somehow it will get argued that infact, americans are the bad ones and become "one person's terrorist is another's freedom fighter"

Terry S
01-12-2006, 10:26 AM
this biggest hurdle (among many) i'd say is the power source.* current lasers of this magnitude require large generators and long periods to generate enough energy for one pulse, something that may be im practical for even the largest of [reasonable] cargo planes

Terry S

im all for the military, war, technology, and always being one step ahead.* hell im an aerospace engineer trying to get a job with a defense contractor.* but sometimes it makes me wonder..............*
we hit them with a $20m missile.* they throw a rock and return small-arms fire.*
we use planes that can't be seen on radar.* they dont have radar.
we have bunker busters that can break through 100 ft of concrete.* they live in mud houses

ok, im gonna stop, im starting to sound like a liberal pacifist pussy.
actually the airborne laser, if we can get it to work, is an extremely large step in national defense.* (some may know that the missiles that specifically target ICBMs in the upper atmosphere dont work that well.* im not talking about the patriot missles that shoot down SCUDs and other low flying missiles - those work awesome)

while im on my soapbox.* fk all those people that think we should stop the shuttle missions because 14 people have died in crashes.* sure, we DO need to find a replacement for the shuttle, but not because of loss of human life.* astronauts get on STS flights knowing that the may very well die.* do you realize the amount of energy (power) it requires to get into space, let alone a low-earth orbit?* onlt 14 losses, sure its not good (morally) but playing the averages, thats pretty fking fantastic.* also same with military casualties.* please, a handfull of deaths a day............ look at the statistics for world war II, and those people felt it was an honor to fight the [evil] axis powers.* regretfully we have to lose some of the most patriotic people in the country to these neanderthal terrorists, but thats what it takes to preserve the american way of life.

we need to adopt a defense method similar to the idea conceived in the movie "swordfish".* where through military actions, the cost of attacking america or its way of life is so costly [to the terrorists] that they cannot afford to continue their alleged reign of terror.

mods, dont send this to political forum, because it'll get all blown out of proportions there.* and somehow it will get argued that infact, americans are the bad ones and become "one person's terrorist is another's freedom fighter"

We hit them with laser guided JDAM's because we try *HARD* to eliminate collateral damage. Just because we spend more than they do on RPG's isn't that big of a deal.

Basically we spend all this money on weapons and defense to keep the assholes who actually have advanced technological weaponry/defenses in their place. We use it on the "lo-tec" terrorists and rebels because these are they only weapons they have, and those are the only people stupid enough to attack us instead of negotiating.

I wish I could mandate that rail guns be completed and mounted on all forms of weapons platforms by 2007. But alas, I dont rule the world yet. :-\

Terry S

rammsteinmatt
01-12-2006, 10:36 AM
dang someone is all over rail guns. i assume you are referring to the electro-magnet ones, and not the large caliber guns that are stationed on rail cars.

the electromagnet rail guns are real cool, but i cant see how anything besides a stationary object or a ship could carry all the power supplies necessary. (unless you have a brilliant plan to make super conductors and the like feasable)

Terry S
01-12-2006, 11:11 AM
dang someone is all over rail guns.* i assume you are referring to the electro-magnet ones, and not the large caliber guns that are stationed on rail cars.

the electromagnet rail guns are real cool, but i cant see how anything besides a stationary object or a ship could carry all the power supplies necessary.* (unless you have a brilliant plan to make super conductors and the like feasable)

The new class of warships are going to have huge frickin railguns. The one thats going to be used first has a range of 350 miles and can fire 12 rounds a minute and have an accuracy within a few feet. Also, it takes 5 minutes for the round to go 350 miles. Thats like shooting a railgun in LA and hitting downtown vegas in 5 minutes. That's the good stuff right there. O0

All they need to do is shrink the size down considerably, tip it with depleted uranium and make it fire 100 rounds a minute.

No problem.

Terry S

rammsteinmatt
01-12-2006, 11:38 AM
dang someone is all over rail guns. i assume you are referring to the electro-magnet ones, and not the large caliber guns that are stationed on rail cars.

the electromagnet rail guns are real cool, but i cant see how anything besides a stationary object or a ship could carry all the power supplies necessary. (unless you have a brilliant plan to make super conductors and the like feasable)

The new class of warships are going to have huge frickin railguns. The one thats going to be used first has a range of 350 miles and can fire 12 rounds a minute and have an accuracy within a few feet. Also, it takes 5 minutes for the round to go 350 miles. Thats like shooting a railgun in LA and hitting downtown vegas in 5 minutes. That's the good stuff right there. O0

All they need to do is shrink the size down considerably, tip it with depleted uranium and make it fire 100 rounds a minute.

No problem.

Terry S

to bad it wasnt that easy. but i saw the concepts for those ships. awesome. 4200mph, nice. almost instant acceleration, super nice.

i bet the generator to produce the energy for 1 fire/5 seconds must be huge. that would be awesome, they could have 60 in the air before the first one hits 350 miles away. talk about a surprise attack O0

not sure how they will do the aerodynamic heating of the projectile. because (depending on altitude) 4200 mph is like mach 6. they would have to be some exotic alloy to with stand that heat for 5 mins and not have considerable deformation

and i think you mean active uranium. it'll be a gift that keeps giving ^-^

Terry S
01-12-2006, 01:45 PM
dang someone is all over rail guns.* i assume you are referring to the electro-magnet ones, and not the large caliber guns that are stationed on rail cars.

the electromagnet rail guns are real cool, but i cant see how anything besides a stationary object or a ship could carry all the power supplies necessary.* (unless you have a brilliant plan to make super conductors and the like feasable)

The new class of warships are going to have huge frickin railguns. The one thats going to be used first has a range of 350 miles and can fire 12 rounds a minute and have an accuracy within a few feet. Also, it takes 5 minutes for the round to go 350 miles. Thats like shooting a railgun in LA and hitting downtown vegas in 5 minutes. That's the good stuff right there.* O0

No problem.

Terry S

to bad it wasnt that easy.* but i saw the concepts for those ships.* awesome.* 4200mph, nice.* almost instant acceleration, super nice.

i bet the generator to produce the energy for 1 fire/5 seconds must be huge.* that would be awesome, they could have 60 in the air before the first one hits 350 miles away.* talk about a surprise attack* O0

not sure how they will do the aerodynamic heating of the projectile.* because (depending on altitude) 4200 mph is like mach 6.* they would have to be some exotic alloy to with stand that heat for 5 mins and not have considerable deformation

and i think you mean active uranium.* it'll be a gift that keeps giving* ^-^

Mach 6 isn't that much. There are missles we use that go faster than that. Also, I do mean depleated uranium. It has an interesting characteristic which is why it's used in tank and artillery shells. When it makes contact, instead of mushrooming on impact, the metal (its a metal) sharpens as it goes through the contact material. There is another metal out there called... something? I dont remember but there've been several documentaries about it. Something like liquid metal or some crap. It's supposed to have the same "sharpening" characteristics of depleted uranium.

And yes, the generators are wicked. That crap better get put into service.

Terry S (likes technology)

rammsteinmatt
01-13-2006, 05:49 PM
what missiles go mach 6 plus? and dont mention payload lift vehicles (space rockets) becuase they are constantly reducing their air density and therefore dont have to worry a ton about aerodynamic heating, because 100k feet comes pretty fast. also ICBMs are close enough to payload lift vehicles.

although they used a pretty beastly rocket to get their scramjet up to speed (~M=5). hmm wonder what type of rocket that was....... and they were aussies (i think we shoot ours from guns, well at least the one i saw)

also if you use enriched uranium, it would be like a dirty bomb when it hit something, hence the "the gift that keeps giving" statement

909Evo
01-13-2006, 10:44 PM
Also, I do mean depleated uranium. It has an interesting characteristic which is why it's used in tank and artillery shells. When it makes contact, instead of mushrooming on impact, the metal (its a metal) sharpens as it goes through the contact material. There is another metal out there called... something? I dont remember but there've been several documentaries about it. Something like liquid metal or some crap. It's supposed to have the same "sharpening" characteristics of depleted uranium.

Depleted Uranium is actually housed in an AP tip. The Ap tip puts a slight knick in the armor of... say a tank.. Using the monroe (i think) effect, the gasses follow the path of least resistance, in this case the velocity of the impact turns the uranium into a liquid molten metal, when it follows the path of least resistance it shoots through the tiny chink in the armor created by the AP tip.

Think Linear shaped cutting charge, with a reactive core, flying at mach 4.

I was a Ammo troop, i personally hate depleted uranium. You paper pushers may think its great. Us guys who build it? We think it was the cause of gulf war syndrome....

Terry S
01-17-2006, 10:12 AM
Also, I do mean depleated uranium. It has an interesting characteristic which is why it's used in tank and artillery shells. When it makes contact, instead of mushrooming on impact, the metal (its a metal) sharpens as it goes through the contact material. There is another metal out there called... something? I dont remember but there've been several documentaries about it. Something like liquid metal or some crap. It's supposed to have the same "sharpening" characteristics of depleted uranium.

Depleted Uranium is actually housed in an AP tip. The Ap tip puts a slight knick in the armor of... say a tank.. Using the monroe (i think) effect, the gasses follow the path of least resistance, in this case the velocity of the impact turns the uranium into a liquid molten metal, when it follows the path of least resistance it shoots through the tiny chink in the armor created by the AP tip.

Think Linear shaped cutting charge, with a reactive core, flying at mach 4.

I was a Ammo troop, i personally hate depleted uranium. You paper pushers may think its great. Us guys who build it? We think it was the cause of gulf war syndrome....

Thanks for the clarification. Oh and I'm no paper pusher, just an engine mech.

If the depleted uranium was responsible for any medical conditions, then it would be attributed to the radiation it put off. And if this was the case, then why doesn't GWS have the same effect as radiation exposure?

Terry S