PDA

View Full Version : wake/kiteboarding?

*chris*
01-15-2006, 10:09 AM
anyone participate? one of the reasons im moving out to socal, so my season is longer than 3months. im JUST starting kiteboarding. figured itd be nice to just drive to the beach and go.

*chris*
01-16-2006, 02:18 PM
haha no one huh? :-P

Skiracer
01-16-2006, 02:21 PM
Don't see much in Cali, but I saw a ton of them in Hawaii...

bbar
01-16-2006, 03:50 PM
I’ve been wakeboarding for the past 9 years, but I’ve never been kiteboarding. It looks like a lot of fun though. There aren’t too many good places to wakeboard in the ocean. Long Beach has a small arena the harbor, but it’s gets really choppy. I’ve heard Catalina has some decent spots though.

*chris*
01-16-2006, 04:11 PM
i figured for wakeboarding itd be better to end up at a lake or some inland waterway rather than the ocean. you have your own boat and everything bbar?

im just trying to decide if i wanna get my first kite before i get to socal or after. hmmm the decisions...

bbar
01-16-2006, 05:35 PM
We have a 35’ Fountain out here in Newport, but that thing is pretty much useless for wakeboarding. I’m trying to convince my brother of that so we can buy something more practical for wakeboarding. My family also has a house out in Bullhead City and we have a boat out there. That’s where we do most of the wakeboarding. Riding in the ocean is completely different than riding in freshwater…the response of the board and the way your edges dig in are just awkward feeling the first few times.

Hey, by the way, how much is a new kiteboard or even a decent used one?

HaVoK23
01-16-2006, 07:06 PM
I remember seeing a bunch of people kitboarding just outside LA county line on PCH going towards Ventura... near Neptune's Net

Justin1933
01-16-2006, 08:22 PM
I wakeboard a ton in the summer...If you want just a quick couple hour session, you can go to Lake Elsinore...It is a very Algea infessed lake, but you get over that pretty quickly...

I have a 2005 SV-211 Air Nautique and would never dream of taking it in the ocean...Especially Long Beach....Too crowded + salt water = bad......

bbar
01-16-2006, 10:00 PM
I have a 2005 SV-211 Air Nautique

I want to go wakeboarding with you!

*chris*
01-16-2006, 10:08 PM
yah justin i knew about you. you were the one that pointed me to socalevo when i posted on wakeboarder.com about evos. O0 and algae is no problem for me ...our lakes here in IA are pretty infested. how often do you get out?

ventura huh ...thats precisely where ill be. well ventura/santa barbara area.

the kites will vary on prices. usually shops will sell them at a higher price because they get them from the companies and in-turn must generate profit to continue to operate. whereas if you get them directly from the companies, theyll be cheaper. BEST kiteboarding is a good example. same quality kites as others such as slingshot but hella cheaper cuz you buy them directly from BEST. and then i dunno what the boards cost ...i havent even checked those yet. im getting a 3m trainer/land kite before i get the fullsize kites and boards.