PDA

View Full Version : Evo IX MR > RS4 and Carrera 4

Chris in SD
01-18-2006, 04:39 PM
So I got my latest issue of evo magazine today and they were testing the new Audi RS4. I think the RS4 is really bad-ass, so I tore into it. The first comparo was between the RS4, Mercedes C55 AMG, and the BMW M3 CS (the $4000 package offered here in the US). Long story short - the RS4 won their hearts, but the M3 CS was more engaging over the couple of days they had it.

Then the REALLY interesting comparo: RS4 vs. Evo IX MR FQ-340 vs. Porsche Carrera 4...

Not only did the Evo own them on the track, it was more fun, cheaper, better handling, better accelerating, better etc. They said that the Evo IX MR is the current state of the art for 4WD performance cars. Considering how brutally honest that magazine is, that is no small feat!!! O0

Makes me miss my Evo even more.

Skiracer
01-18-2006, 05:11 PM
Scan it!!! :worthless:

Terry S
01-18-2006, 05:16 PM
Scan it!!!* * *:worthless:

+45645678931321456

I need to get a subscription to that mag...

Terry S

apexstrafer
01-18-2006, 06:40 PM
that'll be $85 then. no joke.

awesome result though. can't say I'm surprised. my dad likes driving my evo more than he did his 996 C4S :grin:

j_nizzle
01-18-2006, 06:41 PM
that'll be $85 then. no joke.

awesome result though. can't say I'm surprised. my dad likes driving my evo more than he did his 996 C4S :grin:

my dad is the same way, he's driven/owned some nice cars in the past. he says my evo is one of the best for the money cars he's seen in a long time.

Chris in SD
01-18-2006, 07:07 PM
I don't have a scanner you cheap bastards, plus I don't like posting pics anymore...

A subscription is WELL worth the money. I get about 15 car mags a month, but evo is the one I really look forward to. All the best cars, the best photos, the best scoops, etc.

If you are really super cheap, just go to Barnes and Noble and read it - it has a red RS4 on the cover.

Chris in SD
03-07-2006, 04:11 PM
Latest word on the RS4 pricing today: $72K - $75K... It comes loaded, so that's actually not a bad deal. 4 choices of interior panels: Carbon fiber, brushed aluminum (not painted plastic), myrtle wood, and piano black wood. You get a choice of black leather w/silver piping or silver leather w/black piping. Exterior colors include red, black, dark blue, light blue (like Blue By You), Daytona gray, and silver.

If you've never seen one in person, it is nasty as hell... But the Evo's still faster!

Terry S
03-07-2006, 04:21 PM
Latest word on the RS4 pricing today: $72K - $75K... It comes loaded, so that's actually not a bad deal. 4 choices of interior panels: Carbon fiber, brushed aluminum (not painted plastic), myrtle wood, and piano black wood. You get a choice of black leather w/silver piping or silver leather w/black piping. Exterior colors include red, black, dark blue, light blue (like Blue By You), Daytona gray, and silver.

If you've never seen one in person, it is nasty as hell... But the Evo's still faster!

Whats in the RS4 again?

Crap, I forgot to go buy an evo mag.. I need to get a subscription.

Terry S

ANTHONY
03-07-2006, 04:29 PM
I drove a carrerea the this last weekend very nice sound to it. I still think my evo pulls a little harder

Colossus
03-07-2006, 04:54 PM

Whats in the RS4 again?

Crap, I forgot to go buy an evo mag.. I need to get a subscription.

Terry S

Here you go...

Its 4,163 cc V8 powerplant produces a total output of 420-horsepower and 317 lb-ft of torque. Though the motor is capable of revving to 8,250 rpm, low-end torque hasnt been sacrificed to do so with 90 percent of its maximum pulling power available between 2,250 and 7,600 rpm.

Chris in SD
03-07-2006, 09:01 PM
On top of what Clarkson called one of the greatest engines ever made, it has some serious race-spec brakes, special seats/interior, etc. It really is a beast, but I am still having trouble justifying spending $30K over my S4 for 80hp and some big brakes. Honestly, I could spend $10K and get race-spec Alcons, race-spec Ohlins, Milltek headers and exhaust and an APR chip and get damn close... BUT I SWORE NOT TO MOD MY S4!!! :twisted:

Sir Lancer Lot
03-13-2006, 12:33 PM
Awesome!

speedracer2169
03-13-2006, 12:35 PM
hey 15.

gofaster87
03-13-2006, 12:39 PM
On top of what Clarkson called one of the greatest engines ever made, it has some serious race-spec brakes, special seats/interior, etc. It really is a beast, but I am still having trouble justifying spending $30K over my S4 for 80hp and some big brakes. Honestly, I could spend $10K and get race-spec Alcons, race-spec Ohlins, Milltek headers and exhaust and an APR chip and get damn close... BUT I SWORE NOT TO MOD MY S4!!! :twisted:

Bah, those are minor mods. Do it.

white power
04-12-2006, 08:30 PM
I knew I had to get an Evo one day when I read the old EVO cover from '02(I think) that pitted a silver E46 M3 against a silver VII (276 hp) and the authors couldnt make their minds up. The general opinion in the end usually with the Brits is, who cares about how cute the dashboards are, stitching, hides, & status on say an E46 etc; when the Evo 7/8/9's do everything all the German/Italian machines do 'same as or better' for 1/3rd the cash outlay. EVO is a great mag that has our car nailed down just right for the rest of the un-informed car culture to find out if they have not already.

EVO Neil
04-14-2006, 05:11 AM
Chris - maybe you need to read this article again as you switch, daily, between which of these three to buy. Although you have the money to buy any of these, the Evo still rocks hard! :smitten:

Gear Grinder
04-14-2006, 06:54 AM
Daytona gray. black leather w/ silver piping. O0

kipper215
04-14-2006, 07:15 AM

Bah, those are minor mods. Do it.

+1 DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chris in SD
04-14-2006, 12:28 PM
The RS4 deal isn't dead - still pounding on the dealer for my trade-in. If not, I've already contacted Adam @ Z1 to get rolling on lining up my mods.

airforce1
04-29-2006, 01:11 AM
chris, any 0-60 or 1/4 mile times on this beautiful car? My friend has an invitation to test drive the new RS4 and when he goes, I will be there!

Chris in SD
04-29-2006, 01:08 PM
chris, any 0-60 or 1/4 mile times on this beautiful car?* My friend has an invitation to test drive the new RS4 and when he goes, I will be there!

0-60 is in the 4.4 sec range, 1/4 in the mid-12s, etc. Since the dealerships out here suck, I am going to mod the piss out of the S4. Here come the Ohlins, Alcons, Milltek, APR, etc. Looking for 370+ whp and 370+ lb-ft...

leaveit2bevo
05-01-2006, 01:37 AM
wouldnt it be better to blow that kind of money on a car that dosent weight 4k?

Chris in SD
05-01-2006, 03:39 AM
wouldnt it be better to blow that kind of money on a car that dosent weight 4k?

Maybe if I cared about that... I don't live my life a quarter-mile at a time. :coolsmiley:

If I was really going to invest in a track car, it would be a dedicated track car, not a street/track hybrid. I don't have enough time to hit the track. Maybe if I come back to CA, I'll get that GT3 and then just roll out stock.

Senshi
05-01-2006, 03:53 AM
dedicated track car? i say just rock an ariel atom :twisted:

kcross
05-01-2006, 04:02 AM
a gt3 is hardly a dedicated track car. gt3 cs on the other hand is, but good luck getting your hands on one...

all i have to say is audis are freaking boats (as im sure your well aware) even with extensive suspension and power work. look at the entire family of cars. none of them can handle for crap. on a related note weight reduction works more for handling than straight line performance.

however if thats what your into as i say with everyone, go for it, just make sure you know what your dropping your money on. personally in your situation id say have some fun with the s4 and hold out on a new car for a e92 m3. should beat the piss out of an rs4 (which runs more or less even with an e46 m3) albeit far less dear at around 52,000.

silvery_eagle
05-01-2006, 11:16 AM
all i have to say is audis are freaking boats (as im sure your well aware) even with extensive suspension and power work. look at the entire family of cars. none of them can handle for crap. on a related note weight reduction works more for handling than straight line performance.

actually RS4 should not be included in this category O0

Chris in SD
05-01-2006, 01:45 PM
To each his own... A GT3 would more than work for me as a trackday car. As for my Audi not handling, every Evo owner that has driven it has been pleasantly surprised by its handling. I can't see how a good coilover suspension will hurt. The only weight reduction I would even bother with would be moving to non-powered seats. No biggie...

kcross
05-01-2006, 05:01 PM
i have driven a s4s and a b5 rs4. i was a little underwhelmed.

i didnt say a coilover system wouldnt help. it certainly would. just given a number of factors inherent to the audi product line it wouldnt match comperable cars with coilovers.

and i stand by saying all audis, even the 3637lb rs4, are boats.