PDA

View Full Version : Paddle Shifters?

1of1000MR
01-22-2006, 09:39 PM
Is the EVO X only gonna have paddle shifters? Is there any hope of a 6-speed with a clutch and stick? Well I don't know about you guys, but thats gonna take a while to get used to. That makes me wanna think twice about getting one.

speedracer2169
01-22-2006, 09:43 PM
Well it'll be interesting to see what they do. I mean Audi's DSG tranny is pretty sick and shifts faster than a manual. I.E. the new R32 Golf does 0-60 in 6.7 MT but 6.2 with DSG.

Senshi
01-22-2006, 09:44 PM
i wouldn't worry about it also coming with a normal gear box, i think somebody posted a link to a release saying it would come with one. Personally i would need a test drive in both to see which is better. If mitsu can make a "paddle shifter" as good as the VW/Audi/Bugatti DSG box it would be a really hard call.

speedracer2169
01-22-2006, 09:45 PM
i wouldn't worry about it also coming with a normal gear box, i think somebody posted a link to a release saying it would come with one. Personally i would need a test drive in both to see which is better. If mitsu can make a "paddle shifter" as good as the VW/Audi/Bugatti DSG box it would be a really hard call.

+1

SpdyEvo02
01-22-2006, 09:46 PM
paddle shifters are relativily easy to use..i drove my friends M3 and my sisters rx-8 both with paddle shifters and they are easy to use and not hard to get used to

1of1000MR
01-22-2006, 09:47 PM
Yea, a test drive would definitly be a good idea.

Macky
01-24-2006, 04:06 PM
i like the idea but dont like the would-be associated price tag of a paddle-shifter.

Chris in SD
01-30-2006, 01:11 AM
I think Evo Neil already posted it, and it was in Autoweek - there will be a manual transmission offered in the Evo X.

C-Spec
01-30-2006, 01:27 AM
first off there will be a 5 speed and 6 speed paddle shifter. eitherway stop assuming shit and wait till it comes out and we'll see O0

Highrever
05-07-2006, 10:04 PM
The paddle shifter in the M3 is nice at speed, but around town in stop and go, ooiii!! I hated it. That clutch could never make up it's mind shift, no wait, ok shift, no hold it, ok shift, shift, back 2 gears! shift

Chris in SD
05-08-2006, 03:29 AM
The semi-auto transmission that Mitsu is working on is a double-clutch system like Audi/VW/Bugatti DSG. Now that I've driven my GTI more, you guys will love DSG, especially in a car like the Evo. Imagine no-lift up and down shifts on the track, faster than the best human can shift. It's pretty awesome - plus, for those that commute, you just pop it into "D" when you don't feel like doing all the work. The ONLY thing I miss is keeping my left foot busy - I guess I need to learn left-foot braking...

leaveit2bevo
05-08-2006, 09:45 AM
it suck though, because ya its faster then a human but you lose all the feel with out shifing yourself.

Chris in SD
05-08-2006, 03:27 PM
it suck though, because ya its faster then a human but you lose all the feel with out shifing yourself.

Have you tried it? Honestly? I can tell you that the interaction is definitely there - you need to be paying attention to get the shifts done with the right "feel", etc. Plus your timing in shifting changes because the shifts are so fast... I find myself shifting early more often than not because of it. There is a definite mechanical feeling even though the clutches are electrically activated.

Senshi
05-08-2006, 04:24 PM

i dont understand why you keep talking trash about the DSG box i'm pritty sure you havnt even ridding in a car with it let alone driven a car with it. Beleave me shifters like the DSG is the future of cars they are even working on getting one working that will be strong enough to work in F1 cars. when i got a ride in the veyron the thing that shocked me the most about the car was how smooth the upshifts were dispite the car being really really fast.

Richard EVO
05-08-2006, 04:33 PM
I'm a purist and I like a clutch pedal and stick shift. I know a DSG with paddles is different from a Tiptronic, but I HATE the Tip. I'd be willing to try driving a DSG, but I doubt I'd ever buy one.

Tom from HB Mitsu assured me that the EVO X will be available with stick/clutch. :smitten:

Chris in SD
05-08-2006, 06:08 PM
My S4 is a manual, but I'll tell you what, if I could get DSG on it, it would be a done deal...

That whole purist thing goes down the drain when the DSG-equipped car is .3 to .5 sec faster to 60, probably 2 secs/lap faster on most tracks, etc. I love driving manual cars, but there is absolutely ZERO denying the advantage of DSG. I can't think of a car that would be better off without DSG. Even my old S2000 would be even better with it.

Stuff
05-08-2006, 06:23 PM
My S4 is a manual, but I'll tell you what, if I could get DSG on it, it would be a done deal...

That whole purist thing goes down the drain when the DSG-equipped car is .3 to .5 sec faster to 60, probably 2 secs/lap faster on most tracks, etc. I love driving manual cars, but there is absolutely ZERO denying the advantage of DSG. I can't think of a car that would be better off without DSG. Even my old S2000 would be even better with it.

I don't think being a purist means being the fastest... in fact, I think the purist wouldn't care how fast it was, they would just care about "the driving experience" or something. I dunno, I'm far from a purist. ;)

Anywhos... I don't think I'd buy a DSG if a manual was available. There is no doubt the DSG will shift faster... it will be faster around the track. From what I hear (and my very limited experience driving paddle shifted cars during test-drives), it's just not as much fun...

silvery_eagle
05-08-2006, 07:10 PM
when i got a ride in the veyron the thing that shocked me the most about the car was how smooth the upshifts were dispite the car being really really fast.

WOW.... you got a ride in the veyron? damn nice.....
anyhow... for those who think DSG is not "pure" etc... just take a look at the rally cars right now... all of them use these...
isn't Evo based of their rally car?
i'm just glad that Evo is marching slowly towards that direction.

1of1000MR
05-08-2006, 07:14 PM
when i got a ride in the veyron the thing that shocked me the most about the car was how smooth the upshifts were dispite the car being really really fast.

WOW.... you got a ride in the veyron? damn nice.....
anyhow... for those who think DSG is not "pure" etc... just take a look at the rally cars right now... all of them use these...
isn't Evo based of their rally car?
i'm just glad that Evo is marching slowly towards that direction.

true....true....rally inspired.

apexstrafer
05-08-2006, 08:41 PM
I wish the inspiration they took from rally was the braking performance and light weight instead of the chicktronic twatomatic paddle shifters. yeah, DSG will make the car accelerate faster than a conventional tranny, but imagine the difference brakes that don't fade and removing 700 or more lbs would make to the overall driving experience. I know what I'd rather have, but unfortunately, the only way to get an evo at that kind of weight is to ship over a IV.

Senshi
05-08-2006, 08:51 PM
^^ or for the evo X to cost 3 to 4 times as much as it prob will......

apexstrafer
05-08-2006, 11:31 PM
less weight doesn't have to = drastically more money. there's absolutely no reason the evo X needs to weigh 200 or 300 lbs more than the VIII and IX, as people are reporting.

Senshi
05-09-2006, 12:07 AM
less weight doesn't have to = drastically more money. there's absolutely no reason the evo X needs to weigh 200 or 300 lbs more than the VIII and IX, as people are reporting.

i wasnt only talking about the weight part better brakes do cost alot more, also its becoming harder and harder for the companies to make light weight cars with the increase in saftey regulations. i say the best solution to this would be for mitsu to just make the "concept colt EVO" that they had last year at MOD.

silex
07-12-2006, 03:50 PM
Another alternative, although probably will never be released on stock cars, are sequential shifters. Either mechanical or electronic. With the former still using a clutch and the other not. It's great since you get no more mis shifts. Most GT class cars run the electronic I believe.

Chris in SD
07-12-2006, 03:53 PM
Another alternative, although probably will never be released on stock cars, are sequential shifters. Either mechanical or electronic. With the former still using a clutch and the other not. It's great since you get no more mis shifts. Most GT class cars run the electronic I believe.

With DSG and others like it coming to market, sequentials will never be offered. You can still get sequential gearboxes installed - I think HKS makes one (OS Giken). I would have to check with the RMR guys to see what else is out there. I believe the X-Trac can also be installed in an Evo.

ebevo
07-12-2006, 05:01 PM
^^^ hmm installing sequential shifters in our evos...is this possible :-o

hmmm please let us know what you found out...and how much would this thing costs O0

Chris in SD
07-12-2006, 05:04 PM
^^^ hmm installing sequential shifters in our evos...is this possible :-o

hmmm please let us know what you found out...and how much would this thing costs O0

It's definitely do-able. I am 100% sure. It's VERY pricey (like $10K), but do-able. Your best bet is to contact RMR or Bulletproof Automotive.