PDA

View Full Version : HOW TO: Boost Leak Test, damn easy

evolved
01-25-2006, 09:26 PM
a buddy came over to my garage today to find out if he has a boost leak. I went down to theĀ* local hardware store and picked up a couple things to make a tester.
Here is how it came out
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v497/bhchamburs/1ee3e9b1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v497/bhchamburs/e3b554c6.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v497/bhchamburs/453afe34.jpg

Here is how to make one for yourself. (you do need to have an air compressor, or access to one)

Get a 3" pipe approx 6" long
Get a cap for one side of the pipe (ensure it will be air tight)
Drill a hole for the inlet pipe
place inlet pipe to the 3" pipe (I used JB Weld to seal the joint)
Place regulator with pressure guage between inlet pipe and hose.

Its that easy. On a side note, I use two regulators to ensure we dont pass 15 PSI.
NEVER NEVER place high pressure thru your system, engine / sensor damage can occure. At 15 psi you can hear any leak that takes place.

Place the 3" pipe on your intake pipe, slowly open the regulator and listen for leaks. Its that easy.

We found the leak in about 5 seconds.

TrickedOutEVOVIII
01-25-2006, 09:48 PM
sweet write up bro...very helpful. did you fix all the boost leaks on your car??? where did you find them/it?

T

evolved
01-25-2006, 09:55 PM
Do you have a girlfriend?
:buck2:

Sorry, Married. Try the single sections of the newspaper.

We found the boost leak on his piping kit. It appears that the battery bracket had a sharp corner and was rubbing against the grommet (STI with a FMIC). Pretty easy fix. We relocated the battery and replaced the grommet.

evoracer32
01-25-2006, 10:23 PM
howcum you say only put it to 15 psi ive heard of alot of people pressurizing it to wutever the psi they run in their car normaly??

evolved
01-25-2006, 10:30 PM
15 psi is safe, and its all you need to hear a leak.

why go more if you dont need it.

tama_mog
01-26-2006, 04:00 AM
I think that's more in the case if a boost leak occurs @ a certain psi vs just a straight out leak like you found. That means some part of the system is not holding the boost.

evolved
01-26-2006, 08:26 AM
makes sence,,, good way to check for a weak spring on a BOV.
I think I will start doing that now,
O0 thx for the good advise

drwn kix
01-27-2006, 01:33 PM
I like this idea. I am getting ready to go to 24psi and can precheck the BOV and all my intercooler connections. I think I will pull off the MAF and check everything else. I'll let you know how it comes out. :mitsu:

tommygun
01-27-2006, 02:20 PM
that is the most elaborate boost leak tester i have ever seen :2funny:

evolved
01-28-2006, 02:10 PM
howcum you say only put it to 15 psi ive heard of* alot of people pressurizing it to wutever the psi they run in their car normaly??

15psi is too low.* The car lowest psi taper is already at 16 and above psi base on your mods.* Sometime you will not hear the leakage, so just pump more air until you hear it, but do it conservatively, don't over do it.* *So it's better to pump more air or what evoracer32 said in the above. O0

No 15 psi was perfect for the subaru I was working on.
A leak in a connector can be heard at an even lower PSI
Just because the car runs at 19 psi doesnt mean the test has to be done that high.
I agree it is a good way to test for a weak BOV spring, but thats about it.
in a case like this, bigger isnt always better.