PDA

View Full Version : how much for a stock cat?

justin44
02-01-2006, 09:39 PM
I live in CA and am looking at buying a used evo with the following mods:
HKS 272 Cams, HKS Carbon Ti exhaust, Cat Delete, HKS RS intake, Hallman MBC, Turbo XS BOV, Walbro 255 fuel pump, and Dynoflash.
I can already tell that I'll have to buy an OEM cat to make it pass smog. Will any of the other mods put me in risk of not passing a CA smog test?
Thanks

rammsteinmatt
02-01-2006, 10:13 PM
the RS intake and XS BOV will probably cause you to fail visual

as for the sniffer, obviously you'll need a cat, but the 272s are probably too big to pass. ive only seen 264s pass thus far, but you should try and tell us how it goes

SpdyEvo02
02-01-2006, 10:17 PM
good luck finding a car here with dynoflash...lol

rammsteinmatt
02-01-2006, 10:21 PM

uh.........

from the verb tense and wording it seems that he has found a car with the following modifications, and is wondering if it will pass the smog check required at the time of ownership change

chuckdashi
02-01-2006, 10:55 PM

uh.........

from the verb tense and wording it seems that he has found a car with the following modifications, and is wondering if it will pass the smog check required at the time of ownership change
thats how it sounds like to me but dont you usually have 6 years or something before your required for a smog check...

rammsteinmatt
02-01-2006, 10:56 PM
you have to smog it when changing oners, i.e buying a used car. whether it is 1 year old or 100. (well maybe not 100, but you get what i mean)

SpdyEvo02
02-01-2006, 11:19 PM

uh.........

thanks matt..i read that wrong...i thought he said he was looking for.....

EvoTech
02-01-2006, 11:33 PM

So what up with DynoFlash?* Is it complete pants, or what?* I have a SAFCII and am happy with it, but wanted to know where the hatred for the flash comes from?

:mitsu:* EvoTech

Ps.* What about pulling abunch of fuel (and timing, using a SAFCII) out of the car for the smog check, in an effort to get around the camshaft lift and duration?* Or a combination of cam timing and fuel?

G20
02-01-2006, 11:37 PM
I had dynoflash on with all the mods when taking the car to the state referee and you know what... it passed the smog check easily (264/272, tbe with hi-flow cat). Only problems are they didn't like my boost gauge and shinny pipes.

EvoTech
02-01-2006, 11:45 PM
I had dynoflash on with all the mods when taking the car to the state referee and you know what... it passed the smog check easily (264/272, tbe with hi-flow cat). Only problems are they didn't like my boost gauge and shinny pipes.

So, what happened? You passed with a high flow cat and 264/272 cams?
Wow!

:mitsu: EvoTech

G20
02-01-2006, 11:54 PM
No! I got into an argument with them because they said we modified the imports to go street racing at night and kill people. I told them not to make such assumption since they're the ref. Basically, I hate to deal with stereo-type people so I called the court and paid them $150. I was ambush outside of Fontana drag event early last year with bush*tt reason that my stock tail lights are modified. Anyway, it's off topic here.

So, what happened?* You passed with a high flow cat and 264/272 cams?
Wow!

* *:mitsu:* EvoTech

Chris in SD
02-02-2006, 04:24 AM
Dynoflash is fine... Just some people hate Al, so they hate his product as well. I had 3 Dynoflashes (for diff mods, octane, etc.) and it was fine.

As for the cat, look into a high-flow cat as well. You might find a cat that performs as well or better than stock with emissions, as well as flowing better.

Finally, check around - there are plenty of places that'll pass you for the visual even with mods. I had an RMR intake, IC piping, etc. and I passed visual no problem.