PDA

View Full Version : name that cult

SpdyEvo02
02-03-2006, 11:02 AM
can anyone remember the name of the cult that claims the cloned a sheep and a human... they were on the news a while back

Terry S
02-03-2006, 12:04 PM
Um, I think you have a few different news reports mixed up here.

There was a sheep cloning at the Roslin Institute. And there have been some reports of some attempted human embryo cloning. Also, there was are several "underground scientists" around the US claiming to have "cloned human embryo's and impregnated women with them" but most were proven to be false.

Check wikipedia and google news. If it was reported on, you'll probably find it between those two resources.

Terry S

grico42
02-03-2006, 01:16 PM
hehe ya spdy i dont think it was a cult man. No more mashups for you!

SpdyEvo02
02-03-2006, 01:23 PM
actually they are calle the Raelians i fond

Terry S
02-03-2006, 01:39 PM
I stand corrected... Here's a clip from wikipedia on these guys...

It is important not to be confused by different uses of the word "cloning". In the scientific community, cloning refers only to the creation of a genetically identical individual. Note that "genetically identical" does not mean altogether identical; this kind of cloning does not reproduce a person's memories or experience, for example.

In discussions of Raëlism, cloning sometimes seems to refer not only to biological cloning, but to biological human cloning plus mind and/or brain transfer, or to a process where adult clones can be directly made.

In 2002, a Raël-affiliated company named Clonaid announced its intention to clone a human being for the first time in history, though this goal was seen by medical professionals and scientists as unlikely given current technology. On December 26, 2002, French scientist and Raëlian Brigitte Boisselier claimed the company had assisted in the birth of a girl through Caesarean section, the first of a supposed five total cloned babies. By New Year 2003, the story had spread like wildfire throughout the mainstream press. Claiming the possible destruction of the babies' right to live normally, they did not provide the press or authorities with proof of this birth, such as a chance to obtain DNA samples. Boisselier claims that such evidence would lead to her incarceration in her country of birth, France, due to a new law that was introduced there, while putting at risks the parents and cloned babies (13 in 2004).

As of 2006, there has been no further evidence supporting Clonaid's human-cloning claims. As a result, these claims are generally viewed as dubious or discredited in the mainstream press. In regards to cloning, Clonaid and the Raëlian Movement are seen by the public as having orchestrated an enormous hoax to produce PR for the organization.

Terry S