PDA

View Full Version : Anyone driven a Cayman S?

Chris in SD
02-04-2006, 12:23 AM
I'll be the first to admit (and Neil will tell you), I was not really impressed at my first look at the Cayman S. Now that I've seen a few around in different colors, it's starting to grow on me. It looks pretty hot in the dark grays (Atlas Gray, Seal Gray).

I'm pretty sure Neil has driven one, but anyone else? Any impressions?

I am still pretty much sure (85-90%) that my next car will be a GT-R or 911 S, but if I could score a Cayman S, I might do it. Also, I know there are rumors that an RS version is coming, but does anyone have anything more than rumors? I would definitely go for the hardcore one if I knew it was coming.

Any input is appreciated!

j_nizzle
02-04-2006, 12:43 AM
my dad did...he was very intent on buying one but he found an 05 m3 for a deal he couldnt pass up, especially trading in his 350z....he said the power was ok but the handling was very nice because of the weight of the car. it was not as comfortable as other porsches he's driven but it's a very nice car. he said it's more of a streetable roadster and not much of a "kick in your pants" car like the enzo's, gt2's, etc. that's all he told me. i guess he wasnt too impressed. he wasnt up in arms about it. for the money, he said he'd rather buy 2 evo's.

Chris in SD
02-04-2006, 12:52 AM
I kind of expected that - I don't want 911 "lite". I should just stick to plan and wait to see what the GT-R is like...

Senshi
02-04-2006, 01:28 AM
ive never driven a cayman but what i dont like about the car is that it falls too perfactly in between the boxter and the 911. Everybody knows that the cayman s really should be faster and an all around better car then the 911 but then all the 911 guys would be pissed. Also why is porche the only company to charge more for there coupe version of a car.

Urban Assault Vehicle
02-04-2006, 04:10 AM
this is going to be my next car.* i love this car* :smitten:.* at the la auto show i took like 30 pics of it and didn't even relize it.* only sad thing is that it's not going to be as fast as my evo.

EVO Neil
02-04-2006, 08:32 AM
I'm pretty sure Neil has driven one, but anyone else? Any impressions?

Yup, driven and tested one. :smitten: I still like 911's. It would be a hard choice between the two, they're both so good.

Look for an upcoming Cayman S versus 911 Carrera test/story. We'll likely be the only magazine with such a test since we had to rent the 911 to do the story because Porsche has none in their press fleet. Dam expensive to rent those 911's...and Laguna Seca for a day. :smitten:

j_nizzle
02-04-2006, 11:43 AM
Dam expensive to rent those 911's...and Laguna Seca for a day. :smitten:

freaking cool guy neil with his cool guy job!!!

HaVoK23
02-04-2006, 11:50 AM
Not to go off topic but why not go with the RS4? I know you have the S4 right now but, from what I've seen and heard it's suppose to be way gnar.

If you have your heart set on a porsche then I'd say GT2

Thero
02-04-2006, 12:42 PM
I was just priceing out a 911 Coupe all I got to say with that Aero Kit Is* :smitten:

Next car for sure. O0

IS2000
02-04-2006, 01:03 PM
I've never driven the Cayman S, but drove both 987 Boxster S and a couple 997S'. If I have enough $$$ I'd go with the 997. Very solid and fun car.

Chris in SD
02-04-2006, 03:06 PM
Not to go off topic but why not go with the RS4? I know you have the S4 right now but, from what I've seen and heard it's suppose to be way gnar.

A GT2 is WAAAAY too expensive and impractical out here in VA where it snows. The RS4 is a thought, but I can't see paying all that money for a pumped-up S4. I could drop about $10K into my S4 and it will be as fast, etc. Ideally, I want to keep the S4 and get a GT-R, 911, or whatever else as a second car.

Neil - You know what I like/want better than most; what's your suggestion? Do you think I'd be happy with a Cayman S (or RS)?

EVO Neil
02-04-2006, 03:36 PM

A GT2 is WAAAAY too expensive and impractical out here in VA where it snows. The RS4 is a thought, but I can't see paying all that money for a pumped-up S4. I could drop about $10K into my S4 and it will be as fast, etc. Ideally, I want to keep the S4 and get a GT-R, 911, or whatever else as a second car.

Neil - You know what I like/want better than most; what's your suggestion? Do you think I'd be happy with a Cayman S (or RS)?

One thing to consider is the available seating as it may be important in the future, Cayman = 2, RS4 = 5.

Chris in SD
02-04-2006, 07:22 PM
If both chicks can't fit in the passenger seat, then they're too fat... :twisted:

Keep in mind I had a couple of S2000s as daily drivers, so the space isn't a big issue. What are issues are: 1) FUN, 2) FUN, 3) Power, 4) FUN, 5) Reliability, 6) Resale value, 7) FUN, 8) Handling, 9) Braking, and oh yeah 10) FUN. Seriously, my biggest concern between the 911 S and Cayman S is not the price difference, but the overall performance/resale/etc. difference. Is the 911 worth the difference?

silvery_eagle
02-04-2006, 11:18 PM
what your comment about RS4.... is almost like what people said about Lancer and Evo, or Neon and SRT4...
from Top Gear's review.. RS4 is quite astonishing! O0

Urban Assault Vehicle
02-05-2006, 02:05 AM
i read in road and track that the cayman s can keep up with the 911 at nurburgring and the handling might be even better then the 911.* i think if you put money into the cayman you can make it faster, but then if you put money into a 911 u can make it a ruf rt 12 which is the fastest car road and track has tested (dec. 2005 ed.).* i think the best value is the cayman or a corvette z06, but who wants a chevy hehe.

Urban Assault Vehicle
02-05-2006, 02:13 AM
:smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

*chris*
02-05-2006, 08:59 AM
HAHAHA ..dont bring up corvette in chris's presence. what was it about penis factor? 3in or smaller...
:2funny:

Chris in SD
02-05-2006, 03:40 PM
HAHAHA ..dont bring up corvette in chris's presence. what was it about penis factor? 3in or smaller...

Yeah, the Vette is mos def a penis car (i.e. it replaces the one the owners don't have). The Z06 is sexy, but alas, it's a Vette. Same thing for BMWs...

gofaster87
02-05-2006, 03:47 PM
Vette would be a better choice than all these other cars.

Urban Assault Vehicle
02-05-2006, 03:53 PM
my dad just got a vette, and automatic on to aaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh :tickedoff:. well what ever he's 60 and lives in the desert and he thinks he's vette will kill my jappy car. have you guys checked out the SLK 55 amg?

Senshi
02-05-2006, 04:02 PM
the new Z06 is prob the best sports car that you can buy for that kind of money it is way way faster then the porches......the only problem is that when it comes down to it its still a vette although personally i find "slow" porches like the cayman, boxter and the base 911 alittle silly too.

*chris*
02-05-2006, 04:07 PM
so what happened with the TME man? just decide not to go for it?

gofaster87
02-05-2006, 04:24 PM
the new Z06 is prob the best sports car that you can buy for that kind of money it is way way faster then the porches......the only problem is that when it comes down to it its still a vette although personally i find "slow" porches like the cayman, boxter and the base 911 alittle silly too.

Its still a vette? Nothing wrong with a Vette. Definately better looking than our shoe box rides.

Senshi
02-05-2006, 04:26 PM

Its still a vette? Nothing wrong with a Vette. Definately better looking than our shoe box rides.

prob true but the whole image that comes with driving a vette is not really for me although i seriously love the new Z06, hey a completly reliable 500hp for about 65k is just such a good deal.

*chris*
02-05-2006, 04:34 PM

ill speak up ...i honestly hate the way vettes look. id rather stare at one of our show box rides. O0

gofaster87
02-05-2006, 04:37 PM

ill speak up ...i honestly hate the way vettes look. id rather stare at one of our show box rides. O0

Not everyone can have good taste. I suppose you think RX7s are not as good looking as the Evo. Hey senshi I dont like the image that comes with evo but I still drive it. Being associated with a bunch of young stupid asses that cant drive doesnt sound appealing.

Chris in SD
02-05-2006, 04:46 PM
Not everyone can have good taste. I suppose you think RX7s are not as good looking as the Evo. Hey senshi I dont like the image that comes with evo but I still drive it. Being associated with a bunch of young stupid asses that cant drive doesnt sound appealing.

Being associated with over-the-hill pricks (i.e. 99% of Corvette drivers) doesn't appeal to me. I don't buy cars for image, etc. I buy cars because I like them, they are fun to drive, and I get a good feeling every time I get behind the wheel. I admit freely that the Vette is a great car, but it doesn't hit my excitement buttons. I have never been a Vette guy, even before I knew what kind of people drive them.

As far as the TME, my friend bought it. Hopefully I'll get to co-drive when the track/auto-x season starts.

Senshi
02-05-2006, 04:52 PM

its def true the image EVOs have isnt that much better, but when it comes down to its all about what car ull have the most fun driving.

gofaster87
02-05-2006, 04:54 PM

Being associated with over-the-hill pricks (i.e. 99% of Corvette drivers) doesn't appeal to me. I don't buy cars for image, etc. I buy cars because I like them, they are fun to drive, and I get a good feeling every time I get behind the wheel. I admit freely that the Vette is a great car, but it doesn't hit my excitement buttons. I have never been a Vette guy, even before I knew what kind of people drive them.

As far as the TME, my friend bought it. Hopefully I'll get to co-drive when the track/auto-x season starts.

Ill admit when I go to car shows the vette owners are older but most of the people I know with vettes are middle aged and pretty cool. I dont care about image as well but the Vette has the lines and the power, plain sexy just behind the RX7.

*chris*
02-05-2006, 05:56 PM

call it what you want ...good taste, different opinions. i dont really like the way the rx7 looks either. or the rx8. ill give props where they are due for performance. ive never been a vette fan or rx fan but i still acknowledge their abilities.

im a little curious ...not attacking you. but is the 'bunch of young stupid asses that cant drive' the standard generalization of evo owners? ive never really thought about it i guess. also id say youre lucky most of the vette guys you know are cool ...here its a bunch of old rich assholes that think theyre gods gift to the roads.

chris ...thats cool your friend got it. i assume youve been out in it right? how you like it compared to the 8?

Chris in SD
02-05-2006, 06:16 PM
I know plenty of people that have BMWs that are good dudes, but as a general rule, most Vette/BMW/Excursion drivers are complete a-holes. The Evo rep is what got that CHP dude pissed at me when I had my accident. I did nothing wrong except drive an Evo... :roll:

I am still waiting for a ride in the TME - my buddy is waiting on the title, then he's going to get an oil leak fixed, some other minor stuff. Then it's on! I'll give a full report...

*chris*
02-05-2006, 07:21 PM
thats awesome youre buddy got it. cant wait to hear a comparison.

the people that own bimmers around here are all older/late middle age. they dont usually give you any sign that theyve acknowledged your presence on the roads. however, one guy has always seemed pretty cool. hell shoot a wave when we meet on a road.

Absinthe
02-06-2006, 02:56 PM

Yeah, the Vette is mos def a penis car (i.e. it replaces the one the owners don't have). The Z06 is sexy, but alas, it's a Vette. Same thing for BMWs...

Watch it...400hp>340hp

Chris in SD
02-06-2006, 03:36 PM
I'm not worried about how much hp a Vette has... Keep in mind, 95% of them are driven by 50+ year old dudes w/an automatic. Let the road get twisty and watch their balls shrink up to match the peen.

Absinthe
02-06-2006, 03:42 PM
I'm not worried about how much hp a Vette has... Keep in mind, 95% of them are driven by 50+ year old dudes w/an automatic. Let the road get twisty and watch their balls shrink up to match the peen.

Neither am I was was taking offense to your remark about BMW's being penis cars...

Chris in SD
02-06-2006, 08:10 PM
No, no, BMW's aren't penis cars.* Sorry for the confusion... I meant most of their drivers are dicks... LOL

BTW, the ONLY BMW that I haven't seen driven by dicks is the M5.* I'm not saying that because you have one - I'm saying that because it's true.* The M5 drivers seem to be different, esp. from 3-series guys.

Back on topic:

So it seems that the Cayman is NOT the way to go? I have a feeling that it'll end up being a Carrera S...

Absinthe
02-06-2006, 08:54 PM
I'll drive the caymen when the market cools off on those cars I like the idea of the car, one thing thats scaring me is that my fiancee wants one, although she wanted a 911 before the cayman came out so maybe its not all bad.

gofaster87
02-06-2006, 09:12 PM
I personally think the only BMW worth the money at this point is the old 850i. The new M5 is nice but not for the money. I also like the older styling. The new fat bodies just dont do it for me.

j_nizzle
02-06-2006, 09:18 PM
I personally think the only BMW worth the money at this point is the old 850i. The new M5 is nice but not for the money. I also like the older styling. The new fat bodies just dont do it for me.

definately +1, early 90's bimmers especially the 2002i bodies, the older m coupes, one of the few newer ones i liked was the previous to the new generation 7-series like in the james bond movies...the newer styles are exactly that, too new...they look nice but too futuristic for my taste and definately an overload when it comes to eletronics...

Urban Assault Vehicle
02-07-2006, 04:38 AM
the new m5 and m6's are sweet but their like 2x the price of a cayman s. i think value and looks its the cayman. here's another pic from the auto show of a m6

Terry S
02-07-2006, 10:05 AM
Well, my step dad has a 645i and a Carrera S right now and I must say that the Carrera is MUCH nicer to drive but they both feel about the same in comfort level. Also, the prices were about the same too.

Terry S

leaveit2bevo
02-07-2006, 11:42 AM

hahahaha that exactly describes my dad, I dont think hes broken 65 in it

Chris in SD
02-08-2006, 08:53 PM
I like the new M5, but I like the older one (E39 I believe) better. It just looks cleaner and classier. I don't like any of the 6-series. If I was able to get any BMW out on the market, I'd get a 130i M Sport. It's not for sale in the US (yet), but it's a small hatchback with a 260+ hp I6 from the 3-series. Nice...

Macky
02-08-2006, 08:56 PM

i agree. i fell in love with the 850CSi. that thing was awesome for me back then. O0

silvery_eagle
02-09-2006, 12:41 AM
if you could wait.. i just watched best motoring review about this cayman S ... tsuchia drive it around streets of willow for 1;29 something .. stock.. very nice :D

Urban Assault Vehicle
02-09-2006, 04:05 AM
if you could wait.. i just watched best motoring review about this cayman S ... tsuchia drive it around streets of willow for 1;29 something .. stock.. very nice :D

were can i find this? weeeeeeeeeee

kipper215
02-09-2006, 08:42 AM
hey chris have you ever considered the noble M400? I have been looking at this car for a while now and everything I here is impressive. I myself don't care what image a car may bring. to me it's the driving experience. the M400 is a little pricey but, for what your're getting in return I think it's worth the bucks. I would love to see evo neil do some testing on one of those. I saw a M12 on the road and all I can say DAM THAT THING WAS FRICKIN QUICK!!!!! :skid:

Chris in SD
02-10-2006, 03:11 PM
hey chris have you ever considered the noble M400? I have been looking at this car for a while now and everything I here is impressive. I myself don't care what image a car may bring. to me it's the driving experience. the M400 is a little pricey but, for what your're getting in return I think it's worth the bucks. I would love to see evo neil do some testing on one of those. I saw a M12 on the road and all I can say DAM THAT THING WAS FRICKIN QUICK!!!!! :skid:

Kip - There is no way I'd pay $80K for a kit car with no real support in this country. I know it kicks ass, but I couldn't take the chance with that much cheddar...

As of 2/10/06, the plan is: Wait for 2008 GT-R to come out, decide whether to wait a model year for it or get a Carrera S, or (if the $$$ continues to flow) get an Aston Martin V8 Vantage. The way things are going now, I will be able to buy another house out here AND get the Vantage. Wish me luck!!!

silvery_eagle
02-10-2006, 03:59 PM
damn... hook me up brotha.. lol

Chris in SD
02-10-2006, 04:06 PM

Don't do drugs, join the Marines, learn Arabic, get some real-world experience, have a job "find" you, and you'll be right in my shoes... ;)

Terry S
02-10-2006, 04:15 PM

Don't do drugs, join the Marines, learn Arabic, get some real-world experience, have a job "find" you, and you'll be right in my shoes... ;)

LOL.. I'm wishing I had gone Crypo just like my friend (he did Korean). Sounds like you were a Crypto in the Corps?

Terry S

Chris in SD
02-10-2006, 04:21 PM
LOL.. I'm wishing I had gone Crypo just like my friend (he did Korean). Sounds like you were a Crypto in the Corps?

Terry S

Something like that - not what I am doing now... ;)

Terry S
02-10-2006, 04:27 PM

Terry S

Something like that - not what I am doing now... ;)

;)

Terry S

Urban Assault Vehicle
02-11-2006, 06:31 AM
hang on before you get your 911 cause porsche is coming out with the new 911 turbo soon :smitten:. check with porsche.com

Chris in SD
02-11-2006, 07:28 AM
I get the Porsche newsletter update.* I am not so sure I would buy the new Turbo over the 996 Turbo.* First off, I could save about $40K, second, the power isn't much greater (esp. if I get a 996 w/X50 kit), and finally, the maintenance is astronomical.* Realistically I'd get a Carrera S over the Turbo - not much difference in the real world as far as speed, etc.

If anything, I'd rather have a GT3 over a Turbo any day.

Absinthe
02-14-2006, 12:17 PM
pixers of new gt-3

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/showpost.php?p=2795562&postcount=12

leaveit2bevo
02-14-2006, 12:25 PM
fuck the new gt-3 looks tits I vote for that