PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone had lasik done in SoCal?

krillin
02-07-2006, 10:56 AM
hey guys. me and a couple of coworkers were talking about getting lasik eye surgery done. we heard that some places actually give group discounts. we've also read that there are several different methods to choose from. anyone have any feedback or comments about this? any recommendations (places) for those who've already had lasik? thanks. :D

Thero
02-07-2006, 11:34 AM
I haven't personally but I helped my dad through it when He had it done. He went to a place out on the 5 freeway before the 405. I think it was DR. Manger but I could be wrong. If you listen to talk radio KFI AM640 around 3pm John and Ken Come on and that is the place they recommend. I would recommend it as well because of how well my father can see now. If you dont know what the procedure is they basically cut a small thin layer of your eyeballs tissue(basically right in front of your pupels) and proceed to go from there(At the place we went to they have a viewing room for the people who are wating for their friend or love one to go through that has a TV to watch the procedure) Then you have to wear some protective goggles for a entire day after the procedure(Hints why I was there, I had to drive my dad home and back again) But they can also arrange a shuttle from a nearby hotel to pick you up and take you back so you dont have to bring someone else with you. Overall I say its well worth it.

Also they might give discounts because they gave my dad one for being a reserved sheriff for riverside county.

krillin
02-07-2006, 11:40 AM
thanks for the info. yeah i've read different procedures where they cut a flap and others where it's all laser. the all laser one i've been told is around 5-6k. the one where they cut the flap is around 3k. i wonder what procedure they use for lasik that costs $500?

WavMixer
02-07-2006, 11:43 AM
The $500 procedure is done with a dull butter knife to cut the flap and some 600 grit sand paper to shape the lens. :2funny:

Actually I am in the process of investigating Lasic surgury for myself. I've already had my evaluation and I am a candidate for it. Now it's just a matter of modding my eyes or modding my car. Tough choice. :'(

rammsteinmatt
02-07-2006, 11:58 AM
i could do it. should do it. but i dont what something that close to my eyes. its WWIII just to use eyedrops

silvery_eagle
02-07-2006, 12:06 PM
you dont want to be cheap on something like this man...
it's your eyes for god's sake :p
just make sure the doctor is reputable and have lots of experience on this then you should be good.
thanks,

Stuff
02-07-2006, 12:06 PM
I think the $500 dollar places you hear about on the radio have additional costs that drive up the prices to normal levels...

I had LASIK done in November. It really is the best thing ever. :) I had mine done in Van Nuys... cost me $3600...

I believe the all-laser LASIK has a longer recovery time than the flap cutting LASIK...

I was really really nervous the day before, I almost backed out. But it was just paranoia, it was really no big deal...

Thero
02-07-2006, 12:56 PM
i could do it. should do it. but i dont what something that close to my eyes. its WWIII just to use eyedrops

Yeah forgot to mention you have to use tear drop stuff to lube your eyes for a full on year.

trannb
02-07-2006, 06:03 PM
I had my LASIK done at the Laser Eye Center in Newport Beach. The cost was $500 per eye, plus $500 for one of my eyes (astigmatism). Prices go up if you have a high diopter correction or if you have astigmatism.

As far as I know, all LASIK involves cutting the flap. RK (Radial Keratotomy) is the process where they do not cut a flap.

Back to LASIK, the actual surgery only took about 5 minutes per eye and I was able to see as soon as I walked out of the OR (and with 20/15 vision). At the time of my surgery over two years ago, my doctor had done over 12000 eyes. At the time, Wavefront was the new deal, but I figured the promise of 20/20 vision for something that was more or less proven was good enough. If you want the name of my doctor, I can look it up. I'd do it again in a heartbeat if I had to.

trannb
02-07-2006, 06:06 PM
The $500 procedure is done with a dull butter knife to cut the flap and some 600 grit sand paper to shape the lens. :2funny:

Actually I am in the process of investigating Lasic surgury for myself. I've already had my evaluation and I am a candidate for it. Now it's just a matter of modding my eyes or modding my car. Tough choice. :'(

You're old now so you'd get less benefit from having the LASIK performed on your eyes :P With age, your eyes develop presbyopia. Basically your lenses have turned into rocks and can no longer change shape to adjust focus. The LASIK can correct this so that you can see nearsighted, but then you'd still need glasses for farsight....or you can opt to have one eye near and one eye far, but many people report dizziness as a result.

One Evo Pinay
02-07-2006, 06:12 PM
5 of my friends have already had it done and I am thinking about it but actually waiting till I turn 25...why 25? Because that's actually the age doctors recommend working on you since your eyes stop getting bad so quickly.

Whenever your hear $500 per eye it usually is the basic procedure and small correction of someones eye sight however they know that no one is going to walk in there with just a minor fix in mind, most these people are like me and have had bad eye sight since the age of like 8. My procedure along with anyone else that might be similar to me is defintely well worth the money if the correction is good. I am talking about correction of astigmatism, that's what actually gets worst for me every year when I go back for checkup, and that is what is going to cost me most as far as pricing per eye. My eye sight gets a little worse each year however defintely slowing down since I am getting closer to 25, but my astigmatism still affecting me big time.

nurb2
02-07-2006, 07:00 PM
you dont want to be cheap on something like this man...
it's your eyes for god's sake :p
just make sure the doctor is reputable and have lots of experience on this then you should be good.
thanks,

+1. Don't go to a discount eye place man. You might as well get it done in TJ.

Shop around, research, talk to people who highly recommend their doctors. Pay more if that's what it takes.

I had it done about 5 years ago and could not be happier. My doc moved to Connecticut though.

-nurb2-

HaVoK23
02-07-2006, 08:33 PM
I heard it's a 75% sucess rate.....so wtf happens to the 25%...."I got bad news and even worse news...The bad news your eyes are fuked for life and the worse news you own me 5g's" ?!?!?!

Terry S
02-08-2006, 10:02 AM
I heard it's a 75% sucess rate.....so wtf happens to the 25%...."I got bad news and even worse news...The bad news your eyes are fuked for life and the worse news you own me 5g's" ?!?!?!

You go back and get it redone.

Terry S

Stuff
02-09-2006, 05:10 PM

75%? That sounds waaaaay too low. A friend of mine used to work for one in San Deigo, and they had a 99.99999 (etc you get the drift)% success rate...

silvery_eagle
02-09-2006, 05:17 PM
anything with 99.99999% is always a lie

Terry S
02-09-2006, 05:37 PM
anything with 99.99999% is always a lie

Or 1 person in the 10000 they've done died but everyone else was ok.

Terry S

krillin
02-24-2006, 11:23 AM
well, getting lasik done at 12pm. wish me luck. see you guys later...hopefully. :P

silvery_eagle
02-24-2006, 12:02 PM
good luck man...

Terry S
02-24-2006, 12:07 PM
well, getting lasik done at 12pm. wish me luck. see you guys later...hopefully. :P

Let us know how it goes. My wife is going to get lasik in a few months and we are still trying to find a good place to go to.

Terry S

krillin
02-24-2006, 10:55 PM
well, had lasik done. i SHOULD be resting right now but i can't sleep. :P

the procedure was quick and painless. my eyes do hurt a little right now and my vision is definitely better but still a little blurry. hopefully tomorrow morning it'll be even better (good enough to drive). i have to wear these dumb looking eye shields at night for a week though. hehe

i'll keep everyone updated as my eyes heal.

Terry, if your wife is interested let me know and i'll try to get her my discount price.

BUDLoNG
02-24-2006, 11:32 PM
where did u get it done?

krillin
02-25-2006, 10:34 AM
lasik medical group

http://www.lalasik.com/

Stuff
02-25-2006, 07:02 PM
Congrats! :) Now for the eyedrops... ;)

Terry S
02-27-2006, 10:10 AM
Awww dude. They do botox there...

Well, we have to see how much money we have left over from our hawaii trip in two weeks, but if we got the cash, i'll shoot you a PM.

Terry S