PDA

View Full Version : Can you take your evo out to Laguna Seca Raceway?

thugline
02-14-2006, 12:23 PM
I have never been out to a circuit track before and from what I have seen on t.v. and on Grand turismo is the (Laguna Seca) track that interest me the most. I know (Willowsprings) is the track that Socalevo goes to all the time but come on now can we try something different for once. Is there a larger fee you have to pay (more than willowsprings) or do you have to be a professional driver or have a special license of some sort? Let me know because I want to do alot modding to my evo and I put it on Laguna Seca and once in a while take it to willowsprings and see what all the hype is about.

THX in advance

-Thugline

Terry S
02-14-2006, 12:25 PM
There are several threads in this folder dedicated to specifically that question.

Terry S

Edit: Here are a few threads about Laguna Seca that were availible on the first page of threads in this folder:

http://www.socalevo.net/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=26&topic=16721.0

http://www.socalevo.net/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=26&topic=17144.0

http://www.socalevo.net/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=26&topic=17186.0

Richard EVO
02-14-2006, 12:38 PM
HPDE track days at Laguna Seca cost about twice as much as they do at Willow Springs.* Expect to pay about $300 per day.* There is a noise limit, sometimes 92 dB and other times 90 dB, which is very hard to meet with a modded exhuast -- you may have to bolt on a stock exhaust.

Laguna is closed for 3 months this spring for track improvements, which reduces the already small number of dates.* Try these websites for info on events:

www.trackmasters-racing.com
www.greenflagdriving.com
www.ncracing.org

Senshi
02-14-2006, 12:45 PM
Seca is a great track and prob one of the best in the US but i would really recomend it as first time track unless your doing a school there in something thats not your car. I say do a few track days on easier cheaper tracks like SOW then do one a seca. Another thing to keep in mind with seca is they have big noise limitation.

thugline
02-14-2006, 01:00 PM
HPDE track days at Laguna Seca cost about twice as much as they do at Willow Springs. Expect to pay about $300 per day. There is a noise limit, sometimes 92 dB and other times 90 dB, which is very hard to meet with a modded exhuast -- you may have to bolt on a stock exhaust.

Laguna is closed for 3 months this spring for track improvements, which reduces the already small number of dates. Try these websites for info on events:

www.trackmasters-racing.com
www.greenflagdriving.com
www.ncracing.org

Trust, my modified exhuast is quieter than stock!

srtmotrsux
02-14-2006, 03:36 PM
sure it is lol im jk.... Why dont i ever see you at inand out any more in the sprinngs.

BlueBooster
02-14-2006, 04:26 PM
You'll probably have to wait until the fall as they're resurfacing the track right now. Go to at least one track event before LS! Either way, you'll have a blast there! O0 I sure did.

DTunedEvoX
02-14-2006, 04:46 PM
If you've never been to a track - what can you base that judgement off of? I think experiencing Willow would be a good experience regardless if you've been there 50 times or your first time!

kimletrim
02-14-2006, 04:51 PM
GT4 baby!

Miss Evo8
02-15-2006, 04:38 AM
Real driving on a track is very different then GT4! You really should take your car out to SOW before you go to Laguna Seca....also a Driving Clinic or Driving School (very expensive) should be a consideration. Your mods shouldn't stop you from tracking your car either.... I've seen completely stock Evos having a blast out at SOW!

Evo RS-T
02-15-2006, 10:25 AM
Come on out to to the next Buttonwillow Performance Driving Clinic (http://www.buttonwillowraceway.com/clinic.htm) on March 5 to get your first track experience with knowledgeable instructors and on a safe track. Then find a group that runs at Laguna Seca and have at it!

Richard EVO
02-15-2006, 10:31 AM
Come on out to to the next Buttonwillow Performance Driving Clinic (http://www.buttonwillowraceway.com/clinic.htm) on March 5 to get your first track experience with knowledgeable instructors and on a safe track. Then find a group that runs at Laguna Seca and have at it!

That's excellent advice.* I think the Buttonwillow Performance Driving Clinic is the best place for newbies to start.* It is safe and well-organized.* The instruction is great.* You get lots of track time -- in the morning they split up the east and west loops of the track with the newbies on one loop and the returning students on the other.* In the afternoon you get to drive the whole track.* So there is one run group in the morning and two in the afternoon.* Another cool thing you rarely get to do is that they take you out to two different turns on foot, and you get to "walk the track" -- you see the contours up close as the instructor explains the proper line. Plus you get lunch and a t-shirt.* The price is a little higher than you would pay with most HPDE groups, but is well worth it for the quality of the program, which is run by the Cal Club -- the SoCal region of SCCA, which owns Buttonwillow Raceway.* They even rent helmets ($10/day I think) if you don't want to buy one yet.* Go to www.buttonwillowraceway.com and select "Performance Driving Clinic" for the registration form.

There is no racing and no timing equipment.* If anything happens to your car, there is a good chance your insurance will cover it.* I have absolutley no idea how I could possibly know such a thing.* :-o

silvery_eagle
02-15-2006, 12:16 PM
^^--* what he said O0

i went to the clinic last time too... very well organized, plus you get a little class session going on before they send you to the track, you even get a book to study at home lol :)
Evo RS-T is one of the instructor you can PM him any question you have O0

Miss Evo8
02-15-2006, 04:01 PM
I went to the PDC for my first track event...had a blast! and learned a few things too...although I almost fainted from the damn HEAT it was in august and 112 degrees that day! :-o Still had fun!

Dmoney
02-17-2006, 09:47 AM
http://www.laguna-seca.com/webart/TrackMap3.gif

As you can see this looks like a highspeed track with alot of sweeping corners. and of course the infamous "corkscrew".

Richard EVO
02-17-2006, 10:56 AM
http://www.laguna-seca.com/webart/TrackMap3.gif

As you can see this looks like a highspeed track with alot of sweeping corners. and of course the infamous "corkscrew".

It is a high speed track, but the map doesn't do the corkscrew justice becuase it doesn't show the elevation drop. Here I am in the corkscrew:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v79/richard350z/LagunaSeca9-05002.jpg

Senshi
02-17-2006, 02:19 PM
I dont think seca is that much of a high speed track other then the front strait where you hit about 120mph the rest of the straits are ether pritty short or uphill which slows you down quite abit.

Richard EVO
02-17-2006, 03:03 PM
I dont think seca is that much of a high speed track other then the front strait where you hit about 120mph the rest of the straits are ether pritty short or uphill which slows you down quite abit.

I never look at the speedo, but the section between 4 and 5 is pretty fast.

Senshi
02-17-2006, 06:44 PM

I never look at the speedo, but the section between 4 and 5 is pretty fast.

u still dont go really really fast i mean ur still in 4th gear maybe about 110 through there. i just dont really feel its that much faster of a track then streets.

Richard EVO
02-17-2006, 11:00 PM
I gotta disagree with that.* Overall, Laguna is a lot faster than Streets.* It's not Big Willow or the Calif. Speedway ROVAL, but comparing it to our cute little local "technical" track is a bit off IMHO.

Let's use Kent Jordan's laptimes for comparison. He runs 1:39 at Laguna Seca which is 2.238 miles long, and 1:22 at Streets of Willow, which is 1.8 miles long. So his average speed at Laguna is 81.4 mph, and his average speed at Streets is 79.0 mph. That's actually closer than I thought it would be. I think he has run Streets more than Laguna, so that might account for the speeds being even that close. Also, the car was set up better when he ran the 1:22 at Streets. But even ignoring those differences, Laguna is faster.

Senshi
02-17-2006, 11:25 PM
I never said they were the same i just said they were similar. you said seca was fast track, i was just saying that i dont really think it was that fast in comparison to other tracks. yo even showed yourself with kents times that streets and seca are actually pritty close.

Richard EVO
02-18-2006, 12:39 AM
Whatever. One thing's for sure. Laguna is a lot more exciting experience to drive than Streets.

Senshi
02-18-2006, 01:17 AM
Whatever. One thing's for sure. Laguna is a lot more exciting experience to drive than Streets.

agreed O0 If laguna was closer and didnt cost so much to run i would run it alot more.