PDA

View Full Version : Altered emissions ticket

Deca Auto
02-20-2006, 01:29 PM
I just got an altered emissions ticket for having a AEM air intake its bs. Anyways now I can't drive my car at all until I get a state referee certification. I currently just have a TBE and was wondering if I could pass the smog with a aftermarket cat? My stock cat has been sitting outside for about a year and I just used a heat gun to clean it out but I don't know if it will be up to the task. I'm very afraid of the smog test, do you guys have any suggestions on how to pass? So far the only ideas I have is going completely back to stock, changing my oil, maybe running an SAFC very lean.

G20
02-20-2006, 01:46 PM
remove the safc before go there since they'll find it. putting stock cat on should help you pass the smog check but I passed with Ultimate HF cat and my car is heavily modded.

WavMixer
02-20-2006, 06:01 PM
You'll want the stock downpipe on too before going to get it checked.

rubelcon
02-20-2006, 06:04 PM
Deca - what city was this in?

EVOMANIAC
02-20-2006, 06:12 PM
Deca I believe you live nearby me. I have a stock cat and downpipe in my garage right now. I will PM you my phone number. Will take about 1 1/2 hours to change out because of being hot. Give me a call I will help you out.

Deca Auto
02-20-2006, 06:57 PM
Thanks Evomaniac for the support. Unfortunately I can't drive my evo on the streets cause if I get pulled over again I will be arrested and my car will get impounded. I'm going to try my stock downpipe and cat tomorrow hopefully I will pass. Everyone look out for cops cause I'm not the only one who got multiple tickets for non-driving violation in Chula Vista. These cops in Chula Vista have nothing better to do then discriminate on car with big wings. I showed only the upmost respect and I was continuously called a street racer, and a liar. I feel the cops hated on me cause I'm 20 and asian, I could only imagine how most of you guys feel who are in your late 20s and caucasian.

I had a question though can I leave my Sunauto grounding kit, and Helix catback on?

Mr.Evolution8 AKA Mr. Evo
02-20-2006, 07:17 PM
i just went to the referre and i passed smog with cams and i put my stock cat and exhaust back on. but i didnt pass the visual i had a BOV, MBC, and the Greddy FMIC. so i sujest you take everything off. i have to go back but i need to borow a stock fmic for like 2 days

xEviLxVIIIx
02-21-2006, 09:14 AM
catback can stay on, anything behind the stock cat doesnt matter on the smog. but everything else has to go unless they cant see it. if you have any other questions PM me

Deca Auto
02-21-2006, 09:18 PM
my car passed. thanks everybody for your help. ill post more info later

DUROEVO
02-21-2006, 10:45 PM
Congrats on the pass....

05-EVO-GSR
02-21-2006, 11:03 PM
What was on your car when you passed?

Mr.Evolution8 AKA Mr. Evo
02-21-2006, 11:21 PM
^^^^^^ plus 2

chuckdashi
02-22-2006, 12:11 AM
good for you...

Deca Auto
02-22-2006, 01:31 AM
My car had everything back to stock. I left a few little things hanging around like ducting and aftermarket sensors so he knew it was previously modified but didn't care. I scored about twice the avg on everything (20-30) but was well below the max (about 100). I'm guessing I could have passed with TBE and a high flow cat. All I know is TBE makes a big difference because my car feels very slow. I put my license plate back on, took off the front tinting, and plan on buying a injen intake so the next time I get pulled over it better be over a moving violation. Actually I better not get pulled over at all.

BOO5150
02-22-2006, 02:04 AM
San Diego Cops suck ass!!! Dragnet blows!!!

bogey8
02-22-2006, 12:45 PM
I thought the AEM intake was legal?

05-EVO-GSR
02-22-2006, 03:18 PM
Would you mind describing the experience start to finish?

EVOMANIAC
02-22-2006, 04:32 PM
Hey Deca the AEM intake for the Evo is CARB legal. I have the same intake in my Evo. There was a sticker in the package with the hardware you have to put on the pipe yourself. It has the CARB EO# on it. If you dont have it call AEM and see if you can get one from them. No need to buy a new intake.

gen4k20a2
02-22-2006, 04:41 PM
Thanks Evomaniac for the support. Unfortunately I can't drive my evo on the streets cause if I get pulled over again I will be arrested and my car will get impounded. I'm going to try my stock downpipe and cat tomorrow hopefully I will pass. Everyone look out for cops cause I'm not the only one who got multiple tickets for non-driving violation in Chula Vista. These cops in Chula Vista have nothing better to do then discriminate on car with big wings. I showed only the upmost respect and I was continuously called a street racer, and a liar. I feel the cops hated on me cause I'm 20 and asian, I could only imagine how most of you guys feel who are in your late 20s and caucasian.

I had a question though can I leave my Sunauto grounding kit, and Helix catback on?

I think you actually could have driven you car around and they couldnt have done shit cause you could have just said im going to switch out the stuff thats why im driving, so i can go to a place to fix it.

DTunedEvoX
02-22-2006, 04:57 PM
Grats on passing .. Your info will help others for sure ..

xEviLxVIIIx
02-22-2006, 05:06 PM
Hey Deca the AEM intake for the Evo is CARB legal. I have the same intake in my Evo. There was a sticker in the package with the hardware you have to put on the pipe yourself. It has the CARB EO# on it. If you dont have it call AEM and see if you can get one from them. No need to buy a new intake.

the aem intake is only legal for 2003 and 2004 models i believe. so until aem decides to contact CARB and have them test it on a 2005 model or certify for a 2005 model, the people with a 2005 model evo is assed out.

WavMixer
02-22-2006, 05:11 PM

the aem intake is only legal for 2003 and 2004 models i believe. so until aem decides to contact CARB and have them test it on a 2005 model or certify for a 2005 model, the people with a 2005 model evo is assed out.
Do you know this for a fact? From what I understand, the AEM intake CARB status applies to the 05 models also as there were no engine changes. Now the 06 MIVEC models might have a problem.

xEviLxVIIIx
02-22-2006, 05:39 PM
there is a post on here somewhere that shows the aem certification from CARB and its only for the 2003-2004 model year EVO's (unless CARB has updated it since i read that post a few months ago). even though the 2005 model year has the same engine, CARB has not certified it for 2005. thats why aem has to contact CARB to certify the 2005 model year. So when the state ref looks up that aem carb # and if it says its for 2003-2004 models then someone with a 2005 is screwed and will not pass. I know this for a fact because i worked at the state ref for three years and this happened all the time with hondas.

Deca Auto
02-22-2006, 11:53 PM
Well I keep reading AEM is only carb pending (still illegal). I'm going to contact AEM and ask for a carb sticker.