PDA

View Full Version : Any1 do any rock climbing?

Urban Assault Vehicle
02-21-2006, 03:28 AM
i wanna try it out, anyone here do it or got any ideas on how to get into it?

nut_tool
02-21-2006, 09:00 AM
I do it. You can check out a local rock climbing gym. That is the easiest. Otherwise you can see if anyone you know climbs and ask them. I'm in norcal so I'm not sure what you guys have down south in terms of gyms, but Joshua Tree is a big climbing destination as is Red Rocks by Vegas.

Urban Assault Vehicle
02-21-2006, 02:25 PM
Joshua tree sounds good, it's not that far for me. i also just found out that REI has a intro to rock climbing clinic coming up, i'll be doing that for sure. thanks nut_tool

x[corwyn]
02-21-2006, 02:57 PM
If you are in Orange County give http://rockreation.com/cmhome.html a try. You will need to take a class on how to belay and introduction to climbing($75) and also I would recommend having a buddy go with you. Its a lot more fun to have someone to belay for you while you climb and then you belay for him. Had some good times there back when my buddies and I went, and its good practice for going to Joshua tree. However I wouldn't go outdoors till you go with peeps that have gone before because its different than indoors.

rammsteinmatt
02-21-2006, 04:04 PM
definate -1 on starting outdorrs, its far too dangerous if you dont know what you're doing.

as for starting out, go to REI and they should have their wall open once a week (dunno if there is a fee) but those guys definately know what their doing, and would probably be more than helpful to talk you through all of it along with get you started in a good direction.

as mentioned earlier starting at a gym is a good bet, rocreation was already mentioned. also there is a gym in upland - hangar 18. both offer classes for begineers through advanced, and their walls offer the same scope of routes. naturally they'll rent equipment, so you dont have to buy your own (if you dont already have some)

rammsteinmatt
02-21-2006, 04:05 PM
hmm it seems you found out about the REI thing, well anyways, thats a good place to start

Urban Assault Vehicle
02-21-2006, 04:47 PM
]
If you are in Orange County give http://rockreation.com/cmhome.html a try. You will need to take a class on how to belay and introduction to climbing($75) and also I would recommend having a buddy go with you. Its a lot more fun to have someone to belay for you while you climb and then you belay for him. Had some good times there back when my buddies and I went, and its good practice for going to Joshua tree. However I wouldn't go outdoors till you go with peeps that have gone before because its different than indoors.

rock reation looks really cool and it's only like 6 miles from my place. i'm gonna go sat. and check it out. thanks

x[corwyn]
02-22-2006, 02:55 AM
Cool. If you start getting into it, maybe we can get a group thing again. The more people, the more fun it is. My old motorcycle group used to get together for this then hit IHOP or Taco Mesa afterwards.

I have to get my lazy fat ass back into the gym so I can do this kinda crap again. Stupid motorcycle accidents just jack your whole life up....I put on like 20lbs now from sitting on my ass.