PDA

View Full Version : Attempting to classify the M3 Drivers psyche..

RDubya
02-23-2006, 12:28 PM
Is it just me, or does every M3 owner have a chip on their shoulder?

I've wanted to write this post on many previous occasions, but today I experienced another "episode" with a M3 owner who had such unsolicited road rage, you'd think he just caught me banging his girl. From out of nowhere on the northbound 5 fwy today this guy cuts me off, brakes (in the fast lane), and attempts to block me from going round him (which failed as traffic wouldn’t allow him). I wave him off as another aggressive bavarian road racer wannabe, use the traffic to my advantage and go around him and get back in front in the fast lane and resume normal highway speed, mind focused on driving and the book I’m listening to on my nano. He desperately/aggressively tailgates other drivers, trying to get around and ultimately speeds up and gets in front of the car in front of me this time, and seems determined to goat me by slowing the lane down from 80-85 down to 65mph. I think of my baby daughter at home and do my best to be the more mature driver, letting this upstart go about his leg-up pissing business. Whoa! What motivates these people? :idiot2: Its not just the Evo, for I had similar experiences back when I had my 350z.

The reason I'm sharing this with you all is its happens ALL the time (I can think of three M3 instances in the month of February alone, my favorite was an M3 owner on the 133 north recently, who actually used the dirt median to get in front of me, as he just couldn’t handle that I got in front of him after he initiated a challenge on the onramp from El Toro rd). It’s as though M3 leasers perpetually/aggressively feel compelled to not only race (which I’m fine with) but primarily demonstrate some superiority, as if the Evo represented the Taliban itself. Am I being totally oversensitive here? Way off base? I mean, I can count on one hand how many other cars, seldom of the same make, that have initiated similar (albeit less aggressive) challenges in the past year.

Anyone who lives/works in OC knows that you'll see an M3 at every other stoplight. In any case, I have nothing against the M3 personally; it’s a nice looking coupe, expertly engineered, and a solid performer. A close family member even owned one back in the mid nineties. But there is no doubt in my mind that generally speaking, Beemer drivers are some of the most arrogant, rudest drivers on the road (seems like exclusively 3 and 5 series drivers though). I don’t see any Mercedes AMG (who are just as common around here) owners needing to act as childishly, like a punk kid who just found his dads gun. For the price of an M3, it all seems a bit silly when you can have an Evo or STi at such a better value, if performance is your goal.

But I suppose the M3 acts as something of a booster chair in a whole other category, for those whose fragile ego's are desperate to project some false sense of wealth and status (to be a part of “the club”-as it were), in perhaps the most superficial/pretentious place to live in the entire country. To add to this point, I’ll offer an example. I work in the consulting business, our clients being automotive dealerships. We often hear from service advisors from Mercedes clients, expressing their frustration with C class owners, describing what they call the “C-class syndrome”. From what they tell me, these are basically entry-level Mercedes-Benz owners (who like any nouveau-riche) are the most rude, demanding, snobbish customers. On the other hand, S/SL/CL owners lean more towards easy-going, friendly, appreciative customers (i.e. they have nothing to prove). Parallels between M3 owners and C-class syndrome? Perhaps..

I on the other hand have no such ambitions, for me it’s all about the Evo. Thanks for listening. O0

“One penis enlarger pump.. errr M3, owned by Austin Powers” :uglystupid2:

chis2fast4u
02-23-2006, 12:35 PM
yep they have to make up for the fact that they over paid for their cars with the way they drive. Oh well, can't really do anything about it though. I suggest jsut ignoring them.

Terry S
02-23-2006, 12:47 PM

I've wanted to write this post on many previous occasions, but today I experienced another "episode" with a M3 owner who had such unsolicited road rage, you'd think he just caught me banging his girl. From out of nowhere on the northbound 5 fwy today this guy cuts me off, brakes (in the fast lane), and attempts to block me from going round him (which failed as traffic wouldn’t allow him). I wave him off as another aggressive bavarian road racer wannabe, use the traffic to my advantage and go around him and get back in front in the fast lane and resume normal highway speed, mind focused on driving and the book I’m listening to on my nano. He desperately/aggressively tailgates other drivers, trying to get around and ultimately speeds up and gets in front of the car in front of me this time, and seems determined to goat me by slowing the lane down from 80-85 down to 65mph. I think of my baby daughter at home and do my best to be the more mature driver, letting this upstart go about his leg-up pissing business. Whoa! What motivates these people? :idiot2: Its not just the Evo, for I had similar experiences back when I had my 350z.

The reason I'm sharing this with you all is its happens ALL the time (I can think of three M3 instances in the month of February alone, my favorite was an M3 owner on the 133 north recently, who actually used the dirt median to get in front of me, as he just couldn’t handle that I got in front of him after he initiated a challenge on the onramp from El Toro rd). It’s as though M3 leasers perpetually/aggressively feel compelled to not only race (which I’m fine with) but primarily demonstrate some superiority, as if the Evo represented the Taliban itself. Am I being totally oversensitive here? Way off base? I mean, I can count on one hand how many other cars, seldom of the same make, that have initiated similar (albeit less aggressive) challenges in the past year.

Anyone who lives/works in OC knows that you'll see an M3 at every other stoplight. In any case, I have nothing against the M3 personally; it’s a nice looking coupe, expertly engineered, and a solid performer. A close family member even owned one back in the mid nineties. But there is no doubt in my mind that generally speaking, Beemer drivers are some of the most arrogant, rudest drivers on the road (seems like exclusively 3 and 5 series drivers though). I don’t see any Mercedes AMG (who are just as common around here) owners needing to act as childishly, like a punk kid who just found his dads gun. For the price of an M3, it all seems a bit silly when you can have an Evo or STi at such a better value, if performance is your goal.

But I suppose the M3 acts as something of a booster chair in a whole other category, for those whose fragile ego's are desperate to project some false sense of wealth and status (to be a part of “the club”-as it were), in perhaps the most superficial/pretentious place to live in the entire country. To add to this point, I’ll offer an example. I work in the consulting business, our clients being automotive dealerships. We often hear from service advisors from Mercedes clients, expressing their frustration with C class owners, describing what they call the “C-class syndrome”. From what they tell me, these are basically entry-level Mercedes-Benz owners (who like any nouveau-riche) are the most rude, demanding, snobbish customers. On the other hand, S/SL/CL owners lean more towards easy-going, friendly, appreciative customers (i.e. they have nothing to prove). Parallels between M3 owners and C-class syndrome? Perhaps..

I on the other hand have no such ambitions, for me it’s all about the Evo. Thanks for listening. O0

I quoted that whole thing because it needs to be said again.

+11(ty),000,000,000

Hey Alex, maybe you should cross post this on your E46 forum... lol

Terry S

AvengeDEvO
02-23-2006, 01:07 PM
All of the stated above is very true. I've had several bad encounters with the "all mighty" M3. The thing that drives me nuts is when magazines praise the M3 as the best car ever or best all around sports car. I dont recall what mag I was reading but they asked the question "Is the Evo X going to be the car to finally dethroning the mighty M3?" Dethron!! are they kidding me the car is out dated and over rated.

wj4
02-23-2006, 01:14 PM
there are arrogant cocky drivers in all types of cars..from $1,000 bucket to $100,000 luxury cars. i had experienced an m3 with rice mentality in my old car about a year or so back as well. i was coming back from my friends house in LA...i was on 5N, just passed glendale and i was doing a constant 75mph. it was around 11pm so traffic was pretty light. i see a set of headlights coming from the rear rapidly fast, i didnt do anything because the traffic was light so he couldve went around me. he had to be doing 100+mph, and he stops about half a mile down the highway in the middle of the freeway with the hazard lights on. as i was catching up (still doing my consistent 75), he punches it and takes off again. it just depends on the owners imo. i have a friend who is an m3 owner whos pretty cool. money can buy u a nice and expensive car, but it cant change tue rice mentality :D

Alpha4LFE
02-23-2006, 01:29 PM
there are arrogant cocky drivers in all types of cars..from $1,000 bucket to $100,000 luxury cars.

+1 I'm sure not everyone here is exactly a saint when it comes to stuff like this either. When idiots of any age get behind any car, no matter how cheap or how fast or expensive, sh*t like this will happen period.

silvery_eagle
02-23-2006, 01:31 PM
next time pull ur gun out and shoot at his tires

RDubya
02-23-2006, 01:34 PM
there are arrogant cocky drivers in all types of cars..from $1,000 bucket to $100,000 luxury cars. i had experienced an m3 with rice mentality in my old car about a year or so back as well. i was coming back from my friends house in LA...i was on 5N, just passed glendale and i was doing a constant 75mph. it was around 11pm so traffic was pretty light. i see a set of headlights coming from the rear rapidly fast, i didnt do anything because the traffic was light so he couldve went around me. he had to be doing 100+mph, and he stops about half a mile down the highway in the middle of the freeway with the hazard lights on. as i was catching up (still doing my consistent 75), he punches it and takes off again. it just depends on the owners imo. i have a friend who is an m3 owner whos pretty cool. money can buy u a nice and expensive car, but it cant change tue rice mentality :D

I agree totally, rude drivers come in all walks of life, all makes of cars and budget levels. The point of the thread however was that its almost ludicrous (god I hate to use that word now) how many of these happen to be M3 owners. I'm definitely not saying all M3 owners are obnoxious, of course that would be totally untrue.

Chris in SD
02-23-2006, 06:14 PM
For me, it's been M3s, Corvettes (esp. when driven by guys under 60), and to a lesser extent, Ferraris. I imagine most Ferrari drivers don't know what an Evo is, so they don't feel threatened. Hell, the guy I met at Crystal Cove didn't even know what the manettino on his steering wheel did!!! (It controls the e-diff BTW...) The best comment ever from an M3 guy was at meet when I got to VA the first time - "No way your Evo can take an M3 SMG II... That's impossible." But dude, I've smoked lots of them. "You're lying..." This guy now drives an STi.... LMAO. ^-^

All of this chat is why I bought an Audi instead of a BMW. I am obviously biased, but my experience at the dealership, speaking with Audi owners before I bought one, etc., only had good, laid-back responses. Speaking of AMG Mercs, when I had my Evo I raced a C32 on the way to a Tustin meet. No attitude, just some good clean fun. Of course it was very impressive to watch him sip his latte while I banged through the gears and only managed a draw!!! :-o

k2da_izo
02-23-2006, 06:26 PM
Finally. Someone says it! I'm agreeing to this fo' sho'!

Macky
02-23-2006, 07:56 PM
trying to classify the M3 drivers' psyche is trying to explain why some people are idiots.

some things are just best left unexplored.

say when
02-23-2006, 11:40 PM
The only time I ever talk to them is at the track waiting to run and they are nothing but humble. They have to be when there over priced car gets smoked by a silly evo. the conversation goes something like this. Hows your car running? It is running pretty good. What did you get? 14.3 and you. 12.2 :-o

CubanEvo
02-24-2006, 12:41 AM
Very true, but hate to say it i have met quite a few Evo and STi owners that are the same way. They think they are the shit cause they are in an EVO or STi.....but every car type has their assholes and every car type has there chill people. I mean u will meet someone with a bone stock integra GSR that thinks they are the shit cause they ahve a GSR. It's just some people's nature i guess

DTunedEvoX
02-24-2006, 01:13 AM
lol .. my brother just got an m3 and hes one of the nicest guys you'd ever meet ... not to mention hes a cop so he dosnt have a chip on his shoulder lol ... Like everyone else has said - every group of any car type has its own set of hooligans

chuckdashi
02-24-2006, 02:00 AM
true there are assholes everywhere some just happen to drive expensive cars

Chris in SD
02-24-2006, 04:13 AM
... not to mention hes a cop so he dosnt have a chip on his shoulder lol ...

I hope you're kidding... A cop with an M3??? If the chip got any bigger, he'd tip over. That is too funny...

evotistic
02-24-2006, 09:13 AM
I own an M3, post on the M forums sometimes, have been to a few meets, and they are ALL like that. I rolled the Evo to an M meet before (the M was in the shop), and it was like i was holding a sign that said "Ooh, ooh, talk shit about my car!" A few that I have met have gave props to the Evo, actually when i had a mini meet at my old house up north, the Evo was in the garage and they all wanted to see it....

I don't know what the superiority complex is all about, but i get M drivers trying to flex their SMG muscle all the time. I love my M, but obviously know when it is outclassed. Maybe most M drivers are just jealous that they coughed up the dough on an E46, only to be outdone by a $30k japanese 4 door.

I was with my cousin in his C-class Benz, NOT AN AMG, and this guy in an e46 pulled up next to us, gave us the vin diesel look, chirped his tires in first, and took off. We were stopped in the turn lane.........

Ricardon
02-24-2006, 09:43 AM
A few years back I'm dating this chick in Santa Monica that drove a 328is convertible.* We are driving through the south coast plaza parking lot during christmas rush trying to find a spot.* Santa monica chick fully jacks a spot from a mid 50's lady in a station wagon who was waiting.* Of course the other lady has to wait to jawbone us....blah blah blah...santa monica chick's response: "Fuck you bitch, I drive a BMW so you need to be faster"

A tad more recently, but not much, I'm riding shotgun in an X5 (the suv model?) with another "typical LA slut" on the 405N during rush hour traffic.* She apparently had a bad day at work or something because she felt the need to get onto the right side shoulder and pass everyone.* Oh, yeah, it wasnt to exit at the next offramp...she did that for FOUR exits then got off the freeway.* "BMW coming through!!" was the exact quote made at least 7 times during that fiasco.* Best part?* It was a test drive and I was trying to sell her that car.

All bs and generalizations aside...bimmer drivers suck.* I know 1 person who drives a bimmer that I'm cool with and he JUST got out of an EVO.* Love ya Dave hehehehehe.

You know the new gimmick with the VW commercials?* The ones where they have that little toy alien looking thing, whatever the fook that is.* They call it "Fast" I think.* The one with the kid getting pulled over is classic.* "That your 'Fast'?"* "Yes officer"* "Keep your 'Fast' under control son"

Bimmer drives have an "Asshole"

Edit: Ninja corrected the vw commercial to "fast" hehehe.

DTunedEvoX
02-24-2006, 09:54 AM
lol @ Funny post by Ricardon :D

Ricardon
02-24-2006, 09:59 AM
FACK!!! Yeah damnit it is "Fast" isnt it. hahahah...makes more sense ok I'm going to ninja my post now hahahahahaha.

gen4k20a2
02-24-2006, 10:27 AM

I saw a M3 and 350Z go at it on the 5 freeway (south bound past beach). The 350Z started it all trying to zig zag outta traffic. Then all of a sudden the M3 im in front of RIPS out of the lane and goes after the 350Z. Now there was ALOT of traffic. no one was going over 50 and they were cutting people off BAD. I was hoping to god they didnt hurt an innocent bystander (bydriver???).

akb469
02-24-2006, 11:19 AM
I agree, MOST Bimmer drivers are cocky and they think they are better than everyone.

hardcoreracing
02-24-2006, 02:51 PM
Dude, where do you meet these women at? I hope you're not with her anymore. If she's cutting off 50 year old women in parking lots, how do you think she's going to act when you bring her home to meet your mom?

Anyhoo, I've seen a large increase in the amount of agressive women drivers lately. All I can say is, if you're going to drive like that you better not cry like a btch when someone retailiates, "I can't understand why someone would key my car, people are so mean!". Well, Hello? Mcfly?? Anybody in there??

I live by hammurabi's code, treat people like you want to be treated, an eye for an eye.

Absinthe
02-24-2006, 04:11 PM
lol .. my brother just got an m3 and hes one of the nicest guys you'd ever meet ... not to mention hes a cop so he dosnt have a chip on his shoulder lol ... Like everyone else has said - every group of any car type has its own set of hooligans
'

true-that look at all the wrecked evo's out these days, insurance stats say evo drives are ass-hats too, and dont even get me started on srt-4 drivers, me however I am better than everyone.

Skiracer
02-24-2006, 04:13 PM
'

true-that look at all the wrecked evo's out these days, insurance stats say evo drives are ass-hats too, and dont even get me started on srt-4 drivers, me however I am better than everyone.

M5 drivers are even worse!!!

Absinthe
02-24-2006, 04:42 PM
'

M5 drivers are even worse!!!

I know, thats becuase when you buy that car you automatically become superior to anyone that even thinks about cost when modding. Thats why I can buy a new M-Mafs from BMW for about $800 or the critical replacement cartridge (also made by Bosh) from VW for about $120, and due to this I am better than everyone. How could you not know this?

DTunedEvoX
02-24-2006, 04:45 PM
LOL ... is all I can say to the post ...

CubanEvo
02-25-2006, 12:24 AM
ok so just gotta say......first evo meet i ever went to i got the learning of "stay away from renzo....that kid just wouldnt leave me alone......i was warned by someone but i didnt listen

my question is "does every group of car have its renzo?"

alex_alex
02-25-2006, 02:21 AM
ok so just gotta say......first evo meet i ever went to i got the learning of "stay away from renzo....that kid just wouldnt leave me alone......i was warned by someone but i didnt listen

my question is "does every group of car have its renzo?"

possibly, but minus the three or four-hundred pounds

alex_alex
02-25-2006, 02:22 AM
1. I eat because im depressed, and I'm depressed because I eat
2. get in my belly
3. everybody likes their own brand

Chris in SD
02-25-2006, 09:44 AM
Absinthe - I can honestly say that out of all the BMW drivers, M5 drivers (E39) seem to be the coolest and most car-savvy. When I had my Evo, lots of M5 owners (and some AMG Benz owners) would ask about my car, wheels, brakes, etc. Never with a sneer or degrading comment, always with genuine interest. Also, when I encountered AMG or M5 guys on the freeway, 99% of the time I'd get a thumbs-up or a positive nod when we made eye contact. Congrats on a smart buy - I think that M5 is a future classic. O0

gofaster87
02-25-2006, 12:48 PM
We have a guy out here, doctor by profession, that owns every m series bmw and an evo. Coolest guy Ive ever met. Funny thing is one night on the freeway, coming back from the hospital in his evo, he was harrassed by another bmw driver that laughed at him. Guy didnt beleive that he had 8 bmws sitting back at the house and called the evo a piece of shit.

Chris in SD
02-25-2006, 01:11 PM
We have a guy out here, doctor by profession, that owns every m series bmw and an evo. Coolest guy Ive ever met. Funny thing is one night on the freeway, coming back from the hospital in his evo, he was harrassed by another bmw driver that laughed at him. Guy didnt beleive that he had 8 bmws sitting back at the house and called the evo a piece of shit.

Typical... I've worked with guys that have more money than every member on this board combined but drive a Camry daily. You never know...

DTunedEvoX
02-25-2006, 01:18 PM
We have a lawyer by profession who also drives an M5 on these boards. One of the nicest guys I've met ...

So really - not EVERY single M3 owner is a diCK ... just like every other Evo owner .. *doctor, laywer, cop whatever ..

I must say none of the MBZ guys that I've met are dix . lol

alex_alex
02-25-2006, 03:40 PM
We have a lawyer by profession who also drives an M5 on these boards. One of the nicest guys I've met ...

So really - not EVERY single M3 owner is a diCK ... just like every other Evo owner .. doctor, laywer, cop whatever ..

I must say none of the MBZ guys that I've met are dix . lol

who's the lawyer with the m5?

DTunedEvoX
02-25-2006, 04:11 PM
I have him quoted in my sig. LOL I would vouch 4 that guy n e day, as would anyone who has met him in person!

ANTHONY
02-25-2006, 05:14 PM
The funny thing about this story and all the coments non of it is B.S

RDubya
02-28-2006, 10:23 AM
I rest my case. Seems most agree, BMW owners (generally speaking) do have something of a complex, and this is not specific to the male gender. Women (arguably) BMW drivers can be and often are even more arrogant.

Please, no Beemer lovers or affiliates take offense, its just a subjective opinion that seems to be shared by many. Thanks for reading