PDA

View Full Version : Car Whoring 101

Chris in SD
02-23-2006, 07:11 PM
For those of you who get annoyed by my continual "what if, which car" posts, then stop reading now and go back to virtual fishing...

For the rest of you, I am at an interesting (in a good way) point in life.* I am probably going to buy a second house out here in VA and I am making some serious disposable $$$ on top of my base salary.* I did a lot of math and I am SERIOUSLY considering putting $5000 on a special order Aston Martin V8 Vantage ( http://www.seriouswheels.com/top-2006-Aston-Martin-V8-Vantage.htm ) instead of a Porsche Carrera S.* I will be keeping the S4...

The thing is, while the V8 Vantage will cost about $120K, it will take a minimum of 24 months once I place the order.* The plan is to put my deposit and spec the car, then wait and pay it off with home equity.* The question is whether it is a smart move considering the history of unreliability in British cars and the iron-clad resale value of Porsches.* Obviously I don't look at either of them as an investment, but the passion involved in buying an Aston is almost irrepressible.

Any ideas?

SpdyEvo02
02-23-2006, 07:15 PM
all i have to say is the Aston Martin V8 Vantage is hella sweet!!!

EVO Neil
02-23-2006, 07:16 PM
Get the 9-1-1!* :smitten: ...and yes I've not only driven both but tested both at Laguna Seca. Look for the test in the next issue, although I will say my opinion between the two is my own.

emperor_gp
02-23-2006, 07:17 PM
Dude, if you can afford it, GO GET IT O0

kimletrim
02-23-2006, 07:18 PM
Chris, the AM Vantage is an uber sexy car. *The lines are smooth and silky. *But I consider it more of a grand touring vehicle for the state that Aston is in right now. *Compared with Porsche, the Porsche should give better drving feel and be more of a race car. *I suppose to put it simply, the two cars are great, but they were built for two different purposes. *If you just want to cruise and look good, get the Aston, but if you want to be in tune with road, the Porsche would be the way to go.

I think numerous magazines have done a comparo of the Aston v. Porsche and the likes and the Aston never seemed to satisfy the editors once the other cars were driven.

Then again, I have no personal experience driving any of the above cars. * My experience just comes from a lot of reading.

Stinji
02-23-2006, 08:00 PM
I wish I had the same problems you do! :tickedoff:

Chris in SD
02-23-2006, 08:17 PM
I wish I had the same problems you do! :tickedoff:

Definitely not problems... LOL

Neil - Any reason why you'd take the Carrera S over the Aston? From the practical standpoint, the Porsche seems like a winner, but that damn Aston is pulling on my car whore chain something fierce!!! I am planning on popping by the dealer tomorrow to work out the particulars about ordering one...

silvery_eagle
02-23-2006, 08:23 PM
have you watch the comment from Top Gear regarding this baby aston martin?
Top gear always does very complete review of aston martin cars...
if you like it... get it.

Macky
02-23-2006, 08:25 PM
get the Carrera.

ill tell you why you shouldnt get the Aston. as good as it is, its powered by two Ford Duratec V6s just bolted together :grin: j/k

i dunno man, tough choice, but since you arent in CA, the Carrera would be a better option O0

Chris in SD
02-23-2006, 08:38 PM
Either the Porsche or the Aston would only be driven in good weather.* I have the S4 for everyday stuff...*

If you haven't gone to the link in the first post, you owe it to yourself...* Damn that car is sexy.

Oh, BTW, the way I want each configured, the Aston is $120K and the Porsche is $102K. :D

Macky
02-23-2006, 08:40 PM
no denying that the Aston is sexier than the carrera.

heck if i were in your shoes, id buy the Aston just because its a lot more exclusive than the Pooch. that said, if you are into enthusiast driving, its a close call but i would then swing towards the Carerra.

good luck bro!

rammsteinmatt
02-24-2006, 12:19 AM
if you're looking at a 120k Aston, maybe spend a little more and get a 997 turbo? cant go wrong with 500+hp

chuckdashi
02-24-2006, 01:48 AM
just get what makes you happy

Chris in SD
02-24-2006, 04:22 AM

The thing is, they both make me happy... What to do?

Matt - I have seen the new 911 Turbo and I really don't like it too much. If anything, I'd rather have the new GT3. Realistically, I don't need max performance out here. That's why I'm not considering a lot of faster cars - I just won't be able to put it to use.

Still waiting on Neil's valuable input...

Bills Evo
02-24-2006, 05:05 AM
Meh. Get a '62 Shelby Cobra. or a '57 Continental.* I know, WTF. :-\ :-\ :-\* * * *Bill

EVO Neil
02-24-2006, 06:55 AM

The thing is, they both make me happy... What to do?

Matt - I have seen the new 911 Turbo and I really don't like it too much. If anything, I'd rather have the new GT3. Realistically, I don't need max performance out here. That's why I'm not considering a lot of faster cars - I just won't be able to put it to use.

Still waiting on Neil's valuable input...

I'd agree with you on the Turbo, get the GT3 if you can go the distance. I sent you a PM.

kipper215
02-24-2006, 08:36 AM
the aston looks like a great car. as far as quality the car is built by ford now and has not been around long enough to determine true reliability. not too many people have the car which is a plus. the car also has a great sound. just think about what you really want out of the car. most people that by this car will not drive it very hard. aston is not just a luxo car but seen as symbol of class. kind of like jaguar.

silvery_eagle
02-24-2006, 10:02 AM
get the aston...
people are tired of porsche.. they all looked the same, lazy engineers >.

apexstrafer
02-24-2006, 12:31 PM
that is a seriously tough decision, chris. I'd go with whatever one tugs at your heart strings more. but if I were in your shoes, as much as I'm a fan of porsches, I'd go with the aston, simply for the exclusivity. and, lets face it, when chicks find out you drive an aston martin, you're going to need a taser gun to keep them at bay.

Skiracer
02-24-2006, 01:29 PM
Motortrend has a big write up on the Vantage on their site: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupe/112_0511_2006_aston_martin_v8_vantage/

Absinthe
02-24-2006, 04:25 PM
CHris here's the thing have obviously only been able to drive one of the cars, and being a career porsche whore, I can't objectively come to a conclusion on this but for all intents and purposes get the porsche. As you'll drive the cars you'll likely not notice the in performance too much, the reall issue I think will come when you go to get out of the car in 3 or so years after you buy it, the 99 will likely retain around 80% of its value versus the Aston at around 50%-60% of its value based on what we see in the Mkt-place with astons now. My dad went through a similar process when he bought the turboS over the DB( if he chose to get out of either he knew he would loose a ton more money on the aston, this is also a comon them amoung people who choose the F550-75 over the Vantage and vantage s.

rammsteinmatt
02-24-2006, 04:31 PM

uhh, not exactly.

its not that they're lazy, its just they got the design right the first time. if they were laze, ie. didnt design a new car to appeal to the masses, they wouldnt sell any cars right? well the fact of the matter is that they are selling cars, therefore it would be safe to say that the 911 design has lasted through the ages with very little change

Terry S
02-24-2006, 04:36 PM

uhh, not exactly.

its not that they're lazy, its just they got the design right the first time. if they were laze, ie. didnt design a new car to appeal to the masses, they wouldnt sell any cars right? well the fact of the matter is that they are selling cars, therefore it would be safe to say that the 911 design has lasted through the ages with very little change

+1 If it works right the way it is now then dont "fix" it.

Terry S

rammsteinmatt
02-24-2006, 05:56 PM
basic engineering philosophy: if it aint broke, dont fix it.

the style hasn't faded, so why waste the time and effort and resources to redesign it, when you could equally spend the time to produce more performance?

kaane
02-24-2006, 05:57 PM
screw the aston. GT3 baby!

http://www.automotoportal.com/article/Porsche_2007_911_GT3

415hp from a NA 3.6L motor. 8400rpm redline. It looks bad ass too. $106K cheap too!

EvoPwr
02-24-2006, 06:06 PM
Aston, because of looks.........Porsche, because of performance.

Do you want looks or performance?

DruMMinStUd06
02-25-2006, 08:37 AM
Aston, because of looks.........Porsche, because of performance.

Do you want looks or performance?

took the words right out of my mouth O0

Chris in SD
02-25-2006, 09:55 AM
I want both if I am going to spend that much money. Be honest, guys, you would, too...

I am really leaning toward the Porsche based on some offline discussions. The GT3 is a thought, but I know the prices will be astronomical and the wait list will be very long. I know I can get the Carrera S for a little under the $102K asking price, so that seems pretty likely. I'll have to wait a little while to build up more equity (I'm buying the house here in VA shortly), then I can pay it off when it arrives. The turnaround time on the Carrera S can be as short as 2 months if I jump into an allocated spot...

Obviously I'll post pics when the day comes!

thugline
02-25-2006, 10:11 AM
Hey chris, just buy a skyline Z-Tune! ^-^

Chris in SD
02-25-2006, 01:14 PM
Hey chris, just buy a skyline Z-Tune! ^-^

I wish... First, I don't have $175K sitting in the house, second, that car is sold out and never to be imported here. Besides, if I wanted to go that route, I could just put in for a new GT-R in '08.

chuckdashi
02-26-2006, 06:13 PM
screw the aston. GT3 baby!

http://www.automotoportal.com/article/Porsche_2007_911_GT3

415hp from a NA 3.6L motor. 8400rpm redline. It looks bad ass too. $106K cheap too!
106k cheap.... damn.... i must be in the wrong business...

Chris in SD
02-27-2006, 04:40 PM
You guys are going to laugh, but you'll never guess what I ended up ordering instead of the Aston.... It IS turbocharged...

I ordered a new Candy White VW GTI w/DSG and no sunroof. Keep the laughter to a minimum... ;)

Reasons: I am going to buy a house out here in about 6 months, so I don't want to have $120K of car hanging over my head BEFORE I get the house. Also, I test drove that GTI and all I can say is WOW. It is a lot of fun. Sure it's not an Evo, but it is $24K, doesn't attract police, etc. I plan on autocrossing the piss out of it. Should be fun. I'll post pics when I get it (I had to special order it since I didn't want a sunroof w/Sirius).

kimletrim
02-27-2006, 04:44 PM
Admit, you only bought it because you wanted FAST!

Terry S
02-27-2006, 04:53 PM
http://socalevo.net/gallery/albums/userpics/12768/vwfast001.jpeg

BWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAA

:robotic voice: Fast does not allow delivery!

BWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAA

Terry S

Chris in SD
02-27-2006, 05:14 PM
I actually got a cool DVD from VW with a 30-minute infomercial type thing that was the "scientific" search for FAST. It's pretty funny...

I encourage you guys to go test drive one. It's surprisingly a lot of fun. It beat the Mini Cooper S and the new Civic Si in the latest Road and Track...

kimletrim
02-27-2006, 05:19 PM
Did the scientific research include the different species of the Pikachu Pokeman? LOL

silvery_eagle
02-27-2006, 05:20 PM
interesting car you get :)
performance of everyday car are just getting better and better
is it a FWD?

Absinthe
02-27-2006, 05:36 PM
I actually got a cool DVD from VW with a 30-minute infomercial type thing that was the "scientific" search for FAST. It's pretty funny...

I encourage you guys to go test drive one. It's surprisingly a lot of fun. It beat the Mini Cooper S and the new Civic Si in the latest Road and Track...

Busy containing laughter, must fight urge to mock...

Seriously though-

Do your self a favor and order the standard Euro springs for that car, it runs the same dampers and the spring rates are the same, but the car is raised 15mm to meet US spec bumper hights. From what I have been read/heard it makes a HUGE difference in the way the car transitions from turn to turn, also its a VW part so no warranty issues and no heat from the po-po since its so mild of a drop.

Chris in SD
02-27-2006, 05:45 PM
I actually got a cool DVD from VW with a 30-minute infomercial type thing that was the "scientific" search for FAST.* It's pretty funny...

I encourage you guys to go test drive one.* It's surprisingly a lot of fun.* It beat the Mini Cooper S and the new Civic Si in the latest Road and Track...

Busy containing laughter, must fight urge to mock...

Seriously though-

Do your self a favor and order the standard Euro springs for that car, it runs the same dampers and the spring rates are the same, but the car is raised 15mm to meet US spec bumper hights.* From what I have been read/heard it makes a HUGE difference in the way the car transitions from turn to turn, also its a VW part so no warranty issues and no heat from the po-po since its so mild of a drop.

I'm already on it - Neuspeed sells the same springs for $250 and they won't void the warranty. I checked with the dealership... It's a 1.2" drop at the front and 1.5" at the back. Should be sweet... I know it's not the end-all for performance. It's not like I traded in my S4 for it or something crazy! :idiot2:

apexstrafer
02-28-2006, 01:28 AM
jeez, talk about changing your mind... but hey, I test drove one recently and have to say, it was pretty fun to drive. but yeah, get those springs now so you install them the same day you get the car. absolutely essential. oh and the factory aero kit looks pretty good too.

Chris in SD
02-28-2006, 04:02 AM
jeez, talk about changing your mind...

Jeff, you know me, man - the Aston/Porsche/whatever sexy car it'll end up being WILL be in my garage in the not-too-distant future. I just am trying to be somewhat smart and get a house out here first. By then, maybe I'll have some clarity on what I'll drop $100K on. Unlike kaane, $106K isn't cheap to me... LOL

Chris in SD
03-01-2006, 05:41 PM
...factory aero kit looks pretty good too.

I called the dealer tonight to add that to my order. O0

apexstrafer
03-01-2006, 10:46 PM
sweet, when do you get it? I wanna see pics with the aero kit and springs.

chuckdashi
03-02-2006, 02:57 AM
same here

Chris in SD
03-02-2006, 04:15 AM

I should get it in 60-90 days. The dealer told me he thinks the aero kit is installed at the port vs. the factory, but it'll get added. Right now I'm trying to find the actual Euro VW springs. I've found KW and Neuspeed springs, which would be fine, but if I can find the factory Euro ones, I'll have more peace of mind.

I'll take tons of pics when I get it. If you watch the "Unpimp your ride" commercial where they crush a riced-out Focus, a white GTI that looks exactly like what I ordered is in it.

kimletrim
03-02-2006, 08:00 AM
I'll take tons of pics when I get it. If you watch the "Unpimp your ride" commercial where they crush a riced-out Focus, a white GTI that looks exactly like what I ordered is in it.

I love that commercial...it cracks me up everytime I see it. I thought it was a Honda Civic they crushed on that commercial.

Terry S
03-02-2006, 10:22 AM

I should get it in 60-90 days. The dealer told me he thinks the aero kit is installed at the port vs. the factory, but it'll get added. Right now I'm trying to find the actual Euro VW springs. I've found KW and Neuspeed springs, which would be fine, but if I can find the factory Euro ones, I'll have more peace of mind.

I've seen 2 different ones. One with some green car with a yellow "ram air" scoop on it and I cant remember what the other car looked like. Those commercials are great!

Terry S

Chris in SD
03-02-2006, 02:06 PM
The green one that gets a shipping container dropped on it is a Focus. Peep the white GTI mit aerokit and you'll get the sneak peek at my next toy.

subgraphic
03-02-2006, 02:15 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v674/The1dean70/untitled2.jpg