PDA

View Full Version : Actual law for purchasing a car

DruMMinStUd06
03-06-2006, 01:30 PM
Is it possible for you to be under 18 years of age and be on the title of a vehicle? Does it make any difference if you have a co-signer?

Any help would be appreciated :?

speedracer2169
03-06-2006, 01:35 PM
Nope because you're not legal enough to have a loan or the financial resoonsibility wether or not you have a co-signer

speedracer2169
03-06-2006, 01:36 PM
and by financial responsibility i mean insurance

DruMMinStUd06
03-06-2006, 01:38 PM
Even if the car was paid for already?

ultraflip
03-06-2006, 01:40 PM
For an auto loan, the age is 18 and with most dealerships you have to have good credit to buy a car. So if your son has a bill in his name or a credit card, the dealership can pull up his credit, and he must be approved. Also, he must have a job or a document showing that he has a steady income coming in.

State Law if i can remember is also 18, i'd have to pull out my vehicle code book to be sure though

Terry S
03-06-2006, 01:53 PM
Well, couldn't the minor be put down on the actual title? But in regards to financing, I agree that the minor cannot be co-responsible since any contract they sign is voidable.

Terry S

C-Spec
03-06-2006, 02:32 PM
You can't purchase an vehicle or have the title in your name if you are not 18 and over. It's fine for the salesman to talk to the under 18 kids, but it's illegal to talk to them about finance and money stuff. Trust me i was a salesman. if the DMV find out this have happend, they can shut the dealer down.

speedracer2169
03-06-2006, 02:46 PM
If the car is bought and paid for you still have to be 18 because someone has to be liable if you screw up. You can have a license and be insured under your parents policy. Put it like this you can't do anything without your parents or guadian's permission until the age of 18 including loans, insurance and mostly because of the legal liabilities of the company having a MINOR sign agreements

DruMMinStUd06
03-06-2006, 06:56 PM
Well, couldn't the minor be put down on the actual title? But in regards to financing, I agree that the minor cannot be co-responsible since any contract they sign is voidable.

Terry S

I know a minor cannot sign a bank document for a loan because they are under 18 years of age. But I'm curious whether or not they are allowed to be title along with an adult?

EvoPwr
03-06-2006, 07:10 PM
what if they are emancipated (sp.)?

j_nizzle
03-06-2006, 10:52 PM
hey bro! here's the deal....if you want to try to be independent and buy the car on your own, more power to you. you, as a 17 yr-old have to have someone to co-sign for you. just ask myself, renzo, dustin(spdyevo), etc. we were all under 18 when we got our evos. we all had someone co-sign for us. and all of us are paying for it either back to our parents or through finance/payments/etc. just simply wait until you're 18th, and see what kind of financing you can work out on the car or deal you can work out with your parents now or then....either way, i warn you to please be prepared to work your ass off if you intend to fund the car yourself, as it is a bitch for me...cant speak for the other guys but i've been going through hell to keep it. good luck though.

-john

indianevodriver
03-07-2006, 12:34 AM
I agree with everything j nizzle said... plus drumminstud you and I both know that you are going to mod the car. Just wait until you are 18 and make sure that you have all your finances straight before your buy the evo.

chuckdashi
03-07-2006, 12:40 AM
coz aside from the car and the payments... insurance would be a b**ch

DruMMinStUd06
03-07-2006, 09:56 AM
So j nizzle, is your car in your name, or your parents' name? I was told that if a minor had a car in their name along with a co-signed adult it would help them to raise their credit extremely fast.

Terry S
03-07-2006, 10:09 AM
what if they are emancipated (sp.)?

An emancipated minor is the same as an adult in the eyes of the law. Therefore, they are fair game to buy a car.

Terry S

speedracer2169
03-07-2006, 10:13 AM
the question is though is will the bank allow the financing.

Terry S
03-07-2006, 10:42 AM
On a lease maybe. Doubtful though since they wont have any credit history. The dealership might be able to find some back alley lender that would give a loan to someone with no credit history though.

Hell, if emancipated minors can get home loans, then why couldn't they get a car loan?

Terry S

EvoPwr
03-08-2006, 05:57 PM
Hell, if emancipated minors can get home loans, then why couldn't they get a car loan?

Terry S

thats what i was thinking.

tlcrox
03-09-2006, 02:55 PM
There are several issues here: owning a car, financing a car, and operating (driving) a car. You can own a car if you pay for it and be on the title at 17 years old. You have to be at or above 18 years to be on a finance contract. Driving a car requires a license, insurance, plates, etc. There are three issues here, each has different requirements.