PDA

View Full Version : Adopt-A-Noob

rubelcon
03-07-2006, 09:09 PM
With all the noob's on board, it's time to roll out the program.

Like it says...

NOOBS: Post on here if you want to be adopted by a non-noob.

Non-nubs: Adopt a noob. Take them under your wing. Answer their questions. Show them the ropes of SoCalEvo. Make them less annoying.

Post in your sig who you adopted/who adopted you.

ultraflip
03-07-2006, 09:22 PM
i'll adopt rubelcon.. ;) :smitten:

Blaze
03-07-2006, 09:28 PM
A mentoring program sounds like an excellent idea.
Although it may be difficult to manage.

Alpha4LFE
03-07-2006, 09:31 PM
this sounds interesting. more info?

rubelcon
03-07-2006, 09:34 PM

I have seen this work very well w/ less structured sites.

Macky
03-07-2006, 09:34 PM
the problem i see is what if the mentor is a dumbass like some people.

rubelcon
03-07-2006, 09:36 PM
the problem i see is what if the mentor is a dumbass like some people.

Request a new mentor then! Just be careful.. Billy might try to adopt Genrec and..... NM.

Macky
03-07-2006, 09:38 PM
lol

Miss Evo8
03-07-2006, 10:06 PM
I'll adopt someone! And show them the ways of "Throwing Rocks" ...... :twisted:

KRS333
03-08-2006, 08:46 AM
Can we make them wash our cars?

ultraflip
03-08-2006, 08:47 AM

adopt me! i wanna throw rocks @ goku

[p]dOG.
03-08-2006, 09:00 AM
Is there a minimum amount of posts to be a big brother? :D

shadowist
03-08-2006, 09:40 AM
i dont think anyone with "Newbie" status would agree to this unless it was required. Besides, most of em are too busy postwhoring as i type this bringing back old threads to get their post count up, so by the time they do see this, theyre not "Newbie" anymore

Alpha4LFE
03-08-2006, 10:00 AM
maybe it should be a on a volunteer basis, people volunteer to be the mentor and the newbs can choose to be adopted. maybe keep this on a regional basis. if structured the right way, we could increase the amount of quality members and less of evom peanuts.

Miss Evo8
03-08-2006, 10:06 AM

adopt me! i wanna throw rocks @ goku

Sure
Can it be done? or should it be the other way around? Since you're a Mod shouldn't you adopt me?

DTunedEvoX
03-08-2006, 10:08 AM
I wanna be a ment0r! :B

chuckdashi
03-08-2006, 10:13 AM
the question in would the newbie want to be adopted...

DTunedEvoX
03-08-2006, 10:18 AM
the question in would the newbie want to be adopted...

Of course they would! Its me baby! (Tyrone) lol

EvolvedMCC
03-08-2006, 10:29 AM
this is a cool thread.

GokuSSJ4
03-08-2006, 11:07 AM
:roll:

emperor_gp
03-08-2006, 11:13 AM
I believe this program would work if the following is enforced:

1) when you register, you will automatically be assigned a mentor for a list of people that signed up.
2) posting by noobs will be relegated to certain threads until their mentor can formally "release" them. at that point, they can post in more threads until their post count goes past 30.. then they are free and clear.

What do you guys think?

Alpha4LFE
03-08-2006, 11:27 AM
i think that's a good idea, but we should probably enforce their posts to useful ones. anyone can post 30 times of useless crap.

Terry S
03-08-2006, 11:42 AM
i think that's a good idea, but we should probably enforce their posts to useful ones. anyone can post 30 times of useless crap.

90% of the current frequent posters would fail this test. Myself included.

Requiring "useful posts" of a person is virturally impossible if the person knows nothing about the car or the boards.

Terry S

emperor_gp
03-08-2006, 12:14 PM
hence the "mentor"

Alpha4LFE
03-08-2006, 12:29 PM

90% of the current frequent posters would fail this test. Myself included.

Requiring "useful posts" of a person is virturally impossible if the person knows nothing about the car or the boards.

Terry S

that is true, but posts like "this guy tried to race me (which shouldn't be here anyways)" and crap like that shouldn't count

turbolarry
03-08-2006, 02:14 PM
Everything you need to know about an Evo is on the internet. If you really want to help someone, all you have to do is give a guy (or girl) a straight up answer to their question; if it's general, in tech, suspension & handling, troubleshooting, whatever... It's usless posts of "go seach" that tells me the guy who wrote it doesn't know anything. How is he going to teach? For me half the fun is finding stuff out myself, getting grease under my nails, and the feeling of accomplishment when it all works and the power increase snaps my head back. O0 ... and if it doesn't work, it's all on me, so I better know how to fix that too (or have evomrguy's number handy :grin:).
People don't need a mentor. They need to read and learn about their car.

PS
Then everyone's going to be running around with the same setups??? Socal clones :-P

Terry S
03-08-2006, 02:23 PM
PS
Then everyone's going to be running around with the same setups??? Socal clones :-P

Mmmm.. VTA-BOV's, JDM exhaust, & SAFC's r teh 1337! :2funny:

Terry S (I kid!)

Alpha4LFE
03-08-2006, 02:32 PM

PS

i agree, i guess discovering how to evolve on your own is half of the fun. but having someone guiding you on a more educated path wouldn't hurt either?

Absinthe
03-08-2006, 02:45 PM

PS

I agree then people just inflict there own biases on everyone let people take the initiative to learn thats the fun of cars like this; that and the fact that a bunch of doods who forget they were shit ass annoying noobs a while ago wanting to institue all this crap kind of pisses me off. (the latter comment was in no way directed at people in this thread, mostly people who now they have had teh evo for a while think they are bad-asses and know everything.)

Absinthe
03-08-2006, 02:46 PM
oh and this thread should probably not be in evo general, since it has NOTHING to do with Evo's.

WavMixer
03-08-2006, 03:03 PM
I've raised 4 kids, helped raise 3 grand kids and 1 foster child. I guess I can add another n00b under my wing.

Terry S
03-08-2006, 03:05 PM
I'd adopt a noob only if you let me use a remote shock collar on them.

Terry S

gofaster87
03-08-2006, 03:06 PM
I will mentor Goku. I will help his English inprove. I will also take on Ultraflip and show him the old ways of bamboo preparaton.

Absinthe
03-08-2006, 03:22 PM
I will mentor Goku. I will help his English inprove. I will also take on Ultraflip and show him the old ways of bamboo preparaton.

The funny thing about that is that gukus teaches english to kids

x[corwyn]
03-08-2006, 03:26 PM
So I need a mentor, huh? Cool...anything bad I do, I can blame on him or her...

IDUNNNNOOOOOOOO

gofaster87
03-08-2006, 03:46 PM

Taco spanglish doesnt count.

WavMixer
03-08-2006, 04:32 PM
We need n00bs with b00bs

http://wavmixer.com/g3/boobpoke.gif

j_nizzle
03-08-2006, 04:32 PM
We need n00bs with b00bs

http://wavmixer.com/g3/boobpoke.gif

+1....billy and/or renzo dont count!

speedracer2169
03-08-2006, 04:35 PM
dude that smiley is the shit

yooyooyoo
03-08-2006, 04:47 PM
I am a noob and would like to be adopted although I'd prefer where I'm allowed to post not be restricted. I think that would be a good way to kill this board.

I am just getting started tracking my car, so my mentor would hopefully be someone who does track days.

Thanks

redteam22003
03-08-2006, 04:54 PM
Can the noob drive big bother's car around?
Im a nb and would like to test drive your car

Miss Evo8
03-08-2006, 05:15 PM

Goku actually speaks proper spanish its not Spanglish or Taco Spanish (good one) and I've actually talked to him about his mispelling crap on the board....his response to me telling him to spell right...NEVER! Maybe he takes on an I don't care attitude because he has to spell correctly all day and use proper grammer.

Absinthe
03-08-2006, 05:25 PM
you just like it when he talks dirty in Spanglish...

Miss Evo8
03-08-2006, 05:36 PM
you just like it when he talks dirty in Spanglish...

Funny.... but I don't speak spanish so I wouldn't understand what the hell he says anyways!
I am however able to hear the difference between "Proper spanish" and "Taco Spanish/Spanglish"

Evo51
03-08-2006, 09:10 PM
swm seeking money.....willing to post whore.....please adopt

ultraflip
03-09-2006, 09:07 AM

lolz... now that's funny...

who's a newb in the OC... i'll adopt another one...

WavMixer
03-09-2006, 09:40 AM
Classic!

gofaster87
03-09-2006, 11:13 AM

Goku actually speaks proper spanish its not Spanglish or Taco Spanish (good one) and I've actually talked to him about his mispelling crap on the board....his response to me telling him to spell right...NEVER! Maybe he takes on an I don't care attitude because he has to spell correctly all day and use proper grammer.

Ah, I know goku well. Ive worked on his car a few times and went to his meet every week. I know how he speaks and writes. When I give him a hard time its our inside joke so lay off politically right liberal.

GokuSSJ4
03-09-2006, 12:16 PM

i'm down, but you need to work on my car...
which reminds me i need a cylinder head install along with a dual stage MBC ^-^

ultraflip
03-09-2006, 12:22 PM
let it be known... veteran individuals such as goku... gofaster... and maybe myself (me.. a veteran? lolz...) we all know each other to a certain extent... and joke/gag/n what not... we do not take it to the heart... we request that others try not to meddle and try to make a situation bigger than what it really is

GokuSSJ4
03-09-2006, 12:28 PM
I'd adopt a noob only if you let me use a remote shock collar on them.

Terry S

haven't you place one on cris already ?

Miss Evo8
03-09-2006, 12:53 PM

Ah, I know goku well. Ive worked on his car a few times and went to his meet every week. I know how he speaks and writes. When I give him a hard time its our inside joke so lay off politically right liberal.

I know all about the "Infamous Sam" Tomas has mentioned you quite a few times.....No ones being right liberal I'm more of a middle of the road type girl ;)

Evo9ers
03-13-2006, 10:26 PM

lolz... now that's funny...

who's a newb in the OC... i'll adopt another one...

adopt me pls....... but there is only one problem, actually it's a big problem.... i eat 5 to 6 times a day

rammsteinmatt
03-13-2006, 10:34 PM
someone want to adopt me?

:2funny:

Macky
03-13-2006, 10:38 PM
i would, but you know more stuff than i do. :grin:

trinydex
04-02-2006, 03:12 PM
i think this is a great idea as well... we should have a sticky in the newbs section listing a large number of people that are "specialized" in certain subjects and then these newbs can pm those people so they can get their issues resolved off the boards and then go and share information later when the time is more appropriate