PDA

View Full Version : Clutchless Shifting. When? Where? How?

Fallen86
03-07-2006, 11:26 PM
Hi guys. i came across "Clutchless shifting" in a racing article somwhere, i forgot where. but i'm wondering WHen is the most advantageous time and place (your personal opinions) to do this on a track? (ie. types of corners) and is it bad for any of the components of the car?

This is how i learned it and do it from time to time:
-say you're on 4th gear, you're gettin near a corner
-pull the shifter out w/o pressing on the clutch
-put the shifter close to the gear u want, say 3rd gear (this is when it grinds and makes a horrible sound if u put it too close)
-rev match
-right when u rev match (and have reached the right rev) the shifter should be sucked into the gear a bit
-you ease the shifter in as it is pulled in and bam! you're in your target gear w/o ever touching the clutch.

Or am i just nuts for doin this? :uglystupid2:

go4broke
03-07-2006, 11:41 PM
wow my first post in like 6 months :grin:....anyways, i've never heard about that technique for track use but my friend's dad can drive his ford ranger without using the clutch....he said he learned to drive like that from working as a truck driver for over 10 years...my friend said that he can shift..*boom..*boom*..boom*..from one gear to the next without pressing the clutch...there's no gear grinding sound though..guess it's through experience....

chuckdashi
03-07-2006, 11:47 PM
just remember that our cars weaknes is the transmission... id rather play it safe thou.. transmission parts... and labor... could get realy expensive...

drewm
03-08-2006, 12:02 AM
Clutchless shifting started with dog engagement transmissions. Evos have syncros and shouldn't be shifted without a clutch unless you would like quite a bit of syncro wear. Otherwise you can convert your transmission to a dogbox, but it has its tradeoffs.

Search google for dog engagement gearboxes for more info.

Sam Smash
03-08-2006, 12:34 AM
This is a horrible practice. Buy an old junker and practice, never do this to the evo. It is something that can be done, but kills the life of the tranny.

Fallen86
03-08-2006, 01:29 AM
thanks for lettin me know! i never knew i'd be bad since i was rev matching and all. o wells no more of that

DTunedEvoX
03-08-2006, 01:43 AM
Rev matching is fine ... but not ripping the gear OUT of gear without the use of the clutch and jamming it back in without the clutch ...

chuckdashi
03-08-2006, 01:57 AM
thanks for lettin me know! i never knew i'd be bad since i was rev matching and all. o wells no more of that
good choice

Miss Evo8
03-08-2006, 04:00 AM
:idiot2:

tabio42
03-08-2006, 11:21 AM
Agreed - it can be done with some finess (I've tried it), but it is probably not a good idea.

MissEvo8 : Why are you on SoCal Evo at 3am?

[p]dOG.
03-08-2006, 11:27 AM
lol! I used to do that back in High School in my old stang!!! but with a King Cobra clutch never tried on a stock clutch. I wouldn't even think about doing it on a AWD car cause these tranny's are ohh so $$$$$.

x[corwyn]
03-08-2006, 03:52 PM
My Dad is a Diesel Truck mechanic and taught me how to do it also. Its very much a "feel" type of thing...however My ranger/b3000 trucks are easier than import cars with tons of horsepower. I know I was able to do it in my eclipse, and the easiest was my old 1980 Scirroco S that I had. One time I had the clutch cable snap, didn't have much in the way of money, but had to work... I drove that car for 2 days without a clutch. That car was very light and the parts were very strong so the things I did didn't seem to phase it much, but I don't think I would try it on a EVO without it being a serious emergency.

Just as an FYI here is how it went for the clutchless driving.... First of all to get the car moving you have to turn the car off, put it into 1st gear, wait for the light or whatever reason you are stopped for, then turn the starter on and jam on the gas. You can already see that with a sub 100hp and 1800lb car that wouldn't be so bad...with a 280+ hp 3300lb car thats gonna be slightly more....well interesting.

For the clutchless shifts, there is a "sweet spot" somewhere usually between 3000 and 3750rpms where it would just slip right in for cruising. For hard driving its very on/off at a high RPM and you have to catch the down rev just right when you "jam" it in to match.

Personally I prefer the double clutch upshifts/downshifts myself now.

interesting to note is on street motorcycles we can easily do upshifts all day long without a clutch.... The downshifts however we always did with a clutch.

Also Diesel trucks drivers that have the stick/clutch combination really only use the clutch for starting it from a dead stop. Although now they are getting some things in like an equivalent to the DSG setup now.

on another note DSG is really cool technology, and I know that soon enough it will probably be superior in most ways to a stick/clutch combo...but I still think its "pussified" and while I love technology I really have a hard time accepting any sort of form of a "vaginamatic". The skill involved with driving a stick to its maximum effect is just impressive. not to mention you won't be able to bumpstart with DSG. battery goes dead...Better hope your AAA card is still good or someone will let you jumpstart from them...

flipbboy03
12-28-2006, 09:43 AM
i keep it ol school with my evo..

x[corwyn]
12-28-2006, 10:18 AM
i keep it ol school with my evo..

Not only old school, but old posts.... Guess you are selling something.

Mister Evo
01-18-2007, 11:23 PM
As far as I had heard, this was only a practice well served for when your clutch goes out on you and you have to get it to a mechanic. Otherwise I'd stick with using that clutch. Go4broke... it's funny you should mention that Ford Ranger story, reminds me of my step dad and his old Chevy Luv. He'd never use the clutch in that thing but also never grind the gears, I was only 15-16 at the time and couldn't understand how he did it.

evolution8mirage
01-22-2009, 09:33 PM
Dam old thread, but just in case someone just barely reads it. I think that if your taking the time to rev it into gear, you might as well not do that and just cluth in. It's not like it saves you time or anything. To me, your just risking of damaging something. I would rather just clutch in.

strat10
01-29-2009, 04:44 PM
I was a champ at it in my VW Bus. Mostly because the freaking clutch cable would break. I could get that think home without using the clutch, got it down to a science. With the EVo, I wouldnt even go there!

evolution8mirage
01-29-2009, 08:47 PM
^^^^ lmFao^^^^^ good one. :2funny:

sergio8904
02-14-2009, 02:06 AM
What are the advantages and does it still wear out your clutch

Jap_WHiP
02-14-2009, 02:11 AM
Re: Clutchless Shifting. When? Where? How?

Didn't you forget get one last question- Why?

HB Evo Owner
02-14-2009, 02:52 AM
A lot of the time I don't use the clutch. Idk if it saves it but I just drive normal and when I get to about 3 or 3.k ill let off the gas and bring it into the next gear, slides right in. I get lazy n don't wanna use the clutch

S2myEVO
02-14-2009, 02:55 AM
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a335/theogyoshee/funny-pictures-evil-genius-cat-is-e.jpg

xtasy127
04-12-2009, 12:01 AM
when i had my Z i had this phase where i did a lot of clutchless shifting but i could never to 3rd to 4th (it always grinded). if the revs dropped to low the car would jerk or shock. i recommend just pushing the clutch in still, dont be lazy.

macdizzle67
04-12-2009, 12:23 AM
Rev matching is fine ... but not ripping the gear OUT of gear without the use of the clutch and jamming it back in without the clutch ...

the words jamming and clutch should never go together in any positive way :uglystupid2: