PDA

View Full Version : check out what the s2k guys have to say

Desisupra
03-12-2006, 04:06 PM
http://www.s2ki.com/Home/content/view/238/60/

seems like the community here drives a corolla tuner car according to them. and even though i dont happen to own an evo it would be the car i give the most respect to for cars in production as of right now. anyone on here gonna show them up for this? just want to know so i can show up and mock the s2k guys right after. and just to rub it in their face even more im just gonna have to bring out the big boat of a supra i have to the track and show them that their nimble little cars should stay out of my way when i lap them. good day and happy boosting.

EVOla_VIRUS
03-12-2006, 04:29 PM
From the source of the article, it would seem like there is some bias involved. It sounds like the author is butt hurt also. S2000 are brokeback to begin with. Evo laptimes from numerous events speak for them self. Furthermore, the Evo excels in all areas of motorsports, even drag racing.

Sumup: That article is a sad attempt to make an S2k owner feel better. Congratulations bud.

C-Spec
03-12-2006, 04:41 PM
another moreon who's piest because he have paid $30k for a bag of rice.
why would pay almost the same price and get a lesser performance car?? WTF ? i drove the s2000 many time. It's a fun car to fuck around with, but comparing to the evo? there's comparission. If the s2000 is suh a greater car than the evo? how come i can pick any magazines and the evo will be in it?.

hagakure
03-12-2006, 04:43 PM
I actually think the author of the article makes quite a few good points. The Evo is relatively safe out of the box. But as you aquire some skill and get faster att he race track, it is no fun in stock or close to stcok configuration, because it does not want to turn without some prodding. I'm not so sure that he is wrong about the S2000 being a little more supple in a stock to stock comparison. Modded, especially as concerns suspension, it's a whole different story, with the Evo easier to make EXTREMELEY fast. When I compare my car in it's current configuration to stock, I can honestly say I have no interest whatsoever in ever driving a stock Evo. The understeer is painful, at least in the 03's. Just the additon of LSD MAKES a huge, huge difference int he car's willingness to turn. Without it, the Evo feels a lot like a FWD car to me. Dennis MAtson, the guy he mentions in the article is very very fast in both S2K and Evo, which brings up the biggest variable of all... the ability of the driver, which people seem to forget all to often. The damn things do NOT have auto pilot.

ANTHONY
03-12-2006, 04:44 PM
From the source of the article, it would seem like there is some bias involved. It sounds like the author is butt hurt also. S2000 are brokeback to begin with. Evo laptimes from numerous events speak for them self. Furthermore, the Evo excels in all areas of motorsports, even drag racing.

Sumup: That article is a sad attempt to make an S2k owner feel better. Congratulations bud.

Well put! Ok in other words a s2k is a tuned mazada miata

gen4k20a2
03-12-2006, 05:01 PM
coming from a honda and being biased more than anyone...the S2000k is a piece of shit compared to the EVO. A year ago i went to the honda dealership and said im looking at this and an EVo the guy said...go get your evo this is more of an old mans car. The evo will knock this this over. THATS FROM THE HONDA DEALER!

lagcisco
03-12-2006, 05:08 PM
damm i shoulda bought an s2k :(

Gear Grinder
03-12-2006, 05:10 PM
I think we should pay them a visit.

http://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showforum=7

Blaze
03-12-2006, 05:28 PM
I heard SK2s do petty well at the track.
But seeing is believing.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v79/richard350z/CalSpeedwayTimeAttack036.jpg

:shock:

rammsteinmatt
03-12-2006, 06:44 PM
warning this is a long post (very long in fact), but i can assure you that it is worth the read. something that you could curl up with on a cold night next to the fireplace

so what i have learned, s2k guys know almopst nothing about the evo. i'll demonstrate:

"For all intents and purposes, most of what’s written also applies to the “performance” offerings from Subaru (the Sti) and to a lesser extent Mazda’s new FWD Mazdaspeed 6."
so we cant compare the s2k to an evo, but we can compare an evo and STi to a miata. got it.

"It has loads of power, even without the aftermarket boost kits so prevalent these days."
'so prevalent these days' makes one think that 'boost kits' are popular. first of all, i have no idea what a boost kit is. sure lots of people use a boost controller, or you can upgrade the turbo, but a boost kit?

"All the above said, how does the Evo compare to Honda’s S2000? There’s NO comparison!!!! They are two completely different animals and shouldn’t even be spoken about in the same breath."
exactly the point, but lets continue on for a whole page how a less powerful and slower car is better than a faster, more powerful, better handling, and faster stopping car. ok...... lets read on.

"The LANCER Evolution is based on Mitsubishi’s econobox the Lancer. This is a car designed to be built and sold for a very low cost ($14,599) and provide acceptable performance with good gas mileage. Acceptable performance with good gas mileage… not exactly the benchmarks of the sports car, are they?"
the true definition of a sports car, should be known by osmeone that actually drives a sports car. i'm sorry for their ignorance, but last i checked 4 doors makes it a sedan. dont worry they contridict them selves in the next statement.

"While the motor, transmission, brakes and suspension have been completely upgraded, the chassis and body remain relatively intact. "
[from my above statement] the lancer gets good gas milage, but the evo doesnt have the same engine as the lancer, so i dont see their point. lets read on.

"(The top of the line MR model upgrades some of these panels to lighter weight carbon fiber) "
damn, i should have bought an MR or RS (but they forgot that part, because after all they know better than us) because my ALUMINUM roof would have gotten upgraded to CF, for free! damn, i missed out on that one.

"Regardless of upgrades, the bottom line remains that when you drive an Evo, you’re essentially driving the equivalent of a tuners version of a Toyota Corolla."
a corolla S? damn thats not saying much for the s2k, because tests over and over have shown the higher hp car, the evo, to be faster............

"Even as purpose-built race cars, the Nextel Cup entries are very limited in their handling abilities. Each year, when they take to the course at Infineon Raceway, (a favorite of west coast S2000 racers), they have to do an abbreviated version of the course as their long awkward chassis aren’t able to navigate the tricky middle part of the sport car course."
mmm hmm, good to know s2k's are better than NASCAR's, but where's the evos? after all i read this article to see how bad my evo is. oh, i get it NASCAR's and s2k's both have push button starts, wait that makes no sense.....what was (author) Drew Gross' point again?

"The shifter in the S2000 is tight and precise while the Evo shifter feels loose and inaccurate. (In all fairness, I’ve always found the shifter on the Porsches to be pretty sloppy as well, so the Evo’s in good company there) "
oh, here we are. back to the evo bashing, got worried for a second - depending on how you look at it. lets see: s2k, prescise; evo, sloppy; porsche, sloppy. hmm, the porsche costs nearly 3x as much. my evo shifter will barely slip into gear when its cold its so loose in there. sweet jesus, the evo shifter will barely go in and its lose, so it must take arnold schwarzenegger to get the s2k to go into gear.

then there's some nonesense about buttonwillow.....something how mr. s2k couldnt jump in an evo and drive faster than he could in a s2k in the same section. all this tells me is that he is human, and cannot immediately learn every technique of a new car after 1 lap.

"When I tried the exact same thing in the Evo, the car just couldn’t hold the turn. We quickly ran out of track and were spinning through the dirt. (My student was surprisingly calm about my off-roading his brand new $30k car through the infield, much to my appreciation)"
a top gear episode comes to mind where an evo (albeit an FQ400) makes corners on only 3 wheels. mind you that a FQ400 has the stock bilsteins, nothing fancy like whats under the hood. also the end part. i seriously doubt the new owner willingly accepted this driving. i sure as hell wouldnt

"As Dennis mentions, a “stock” Evo can be tuned (at significant expense) to turn just as well as an S2000, (The cars tuned by Robispec of California are particularly good examples)"
im sure robi would like to read this, to know how "good" his car turns

"the truth remains that even after an investment of $60k plus, you’ll still just have a really-really hot tuner-Corolla" because for 60k you could easily have 450whp, and suspension modifications that allow you to handle well over 1.00g, and brakes that would stop the earth's rotation. im sure a 60k s2k would be far more dignified than the pile of rice that it inherently is.

"[the s2k] is ready for the track the moment it rolls off the showroom floor."
every car can be taken to the track straight off the showroom floor, even my family's prius. being able to drive on the track, and doing good on the track, i'm afraid, are 2 seperate things.

"The brakes, suspension, and every other significant element of the S2000 was designed and built exclusively for this totally unique Honda offering."
arent the brakes and suspension of every car created....... for that car? i'm lost on this part. oh wait, our brakes arent made for the car. they come from a little itallian company named brembo. brembo has made a name for themselves selling brakes to porsche, ferrari, lambo, F1 teams, etc... but honda? didnt think so.... the author added a personal story in his report, and thus, i will to. I must confess, i'm not the evo-head that i seem. i have been cheating on the evo. i very frequently hang out with ferrari guys, at a ferrari shop in glendora. 90% of the ferrari's serviced at this location (all V8 ferraris) UPGRADE to calipers and rotors the size of stock evo rotors and pads.

"The phenomenal handling and near perfect weight distribution aren’t the result of which aftermarket parts Honda threw on after the fact as is the case with the Evo. "
hmm, must be nice. to be able to be able to build a car from the ground up, i mean. but FIA WRC homologation rules are rather specific. the evo is the way it is because these homolgation rules. I say, lets rally a s2k - hey he goes off topic enough, i think i could once at least

"The design target of the S2000 was never “acceptable performance with good gas mileage” "
the evo wasnt either. lets read on to see his point, or if he even has one

"Decent gas mileage was just a bonus of the incredibly efficient 4cyl. power-plant"
hypocrite? didnt the evo get bashed for good gas milage. wait, no that was the lancer. but as a general rule, the faster you go, the more gas you burn, because burning gas makes power. igniting more gas for more power has been the back bone of american performance since the 40's. so if the s2k uses less fuel, couldnt it be faster? one begs to ask

"If you want a fast car that can also haul Aunt Bertha and her bridge club down to the senior center, or actually be useful on a trip home from Home Depot, then I think the Lancer Evolution VII, Subaru Wrx Sti, Mazdaspeed 6, Dodge SRt4, or VW GTi are all excellent choices."
whew, that was close. the evo VII, not the VIII or IX are grocery getters. good to know. Additionally i would like to draw your attention to the cars that the lowly evo is to be compared to.

"If you want a true purpose-built sports car with acceleration, handling, finesse, and top down, wind-in-your-hair thrills, sell the house, live in a cardboard box, and buy a new Ferrari 430 Spider. Of course if you’d rather keep the house, the S2000 is a very close second choice. "
i think the boys at Ferrarichat.com would beg to differ, but then again who cares what they think, they live in a cardboard box.

"(Oh yeah… with what you’ll save on servicing the Ferrari over a few years, you’ll be able to buy two more S2000s)"
im sorry this is just completely wrong. Mr. s2k just isnt the ferrari connoisseur he wants everyone to believe. the major service on a F430 will be approximately $5000 and is to be done every 30k miles or 6 years. assuming you are the stereotypical ferrari owner that drives his car a max of 6k/ year. that means you are paying $1k every year. granted there are other things like oil changes and minor services. lets be generous and say service is $2k/year, which of course it isnt nearly that high. by my calculations (which im probably not very good at being an engineering student) $35k/1k/year = 35 years of ferrari ownership to equal the cost of one s2k. and the author cites multiple s2k purchases, we'll say 2. that's 70 years and 420k miles (which of course isnt possible, but then again his whole article is somethig of fantasy anyway)

" Ferrari, Porsche, Lotus, BMW, these are the marquees to compare the S2000 against… not some poser-tuner Corolla."
wait, but ferrari's dont get good enough gas milage, and cost too much to service. Porsche's have sloppy gearboxes, and inherently cost too much to fix. Lotus, ah....there it is. Lotus, the company that uses the very corolla engine that was shown in such a bad light through out the article. BMW, they make sport cars? when was the last time you saw a M3 or M5 look like a s2k more than an evo? I say, he forgot bugatti on that list. because if you cant afford the $1.3m price tag of a Veyron, the s2k is, after all, a very close second

-matthew shinavar

rammsteinmatt
03-12-2006, 06:51 PM
he didnt mention it, i knew he wouldnt.....but where is the s2k powerband again? mmm hmm, just as i thought 6500-redline, approximately 2500 RPM, if you have an early model with red at 9. if not, good luck.

i say. where is the powerband on an evo? 3k-5ish. and if you get a "boost kit" (also known as boost controller if you know even the slighest about turbos) a whole $50 will extend your powerband from 3000-7200

last i checked, 4200 RPM > 2500 RPM

Evo51
03-12-2006, 07:00 PM
i went from a s2k to an evo. i had my s2 for about 1 year before i sold it for my 05 evo.

the author is nuts, but to each his own. while being on their forum i can honestly say that this is the first i have ever heard them bash the evo. i am kind of surprised! it seemed to me that they were down to earth, i still think they are except for this author. so now my personal opinion:

S2K pros:
transmission- it shifts incredibly!!!!! i could only wish my evo felt the same way, one day it will!! (if you don't believe me drive a new one without any bias.)

UH.......hold on i know their was something else.....oh yea the s2k was nicer to drive on the freeway....but that's not what i bought it for.

gas mileage was MUCH better on the s2 but i didn't buy the car for that either.

I bought the car to have fun driving it.

well that's about it, and no my s2 was not stock and neither is my evo, both had/have a lot of money spent on them.

it was a great car and if i had the ability to leave a car stock i would choose the s2...but that just will not happen.

by the way mr. author, the evo frame is different from the lancer frame.....you should look into those things before you decide to write a lovely little explanation of why the s2 is hands down a perfect car. now, because of some of your words the the world is now even more fucked up.....thanks.

bottom line, if the author was taken for a ride in a well tuned 60,000 evo i think that he would understand why someone would purchase that over a corvette.....i know i do.

SpdyEvo02
03-12-2006, 07:19 PM
mat your post was the best

Macky
03-12-2006, 07:20 PM
that poster is totally ignorant.

The M3 has more in common with a regular 3 series than an Evo has with a regular Lancer.

All things aside, the Evo and S2000 are apples and oranges as far as comparisons are concerned. The S2K may be a fun car to drive, but I dont like revving the oil out of my car to have fun.

C-Spec
03-12-2006, 07:23 PM
fuk yo s2k biatchhesss
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v725/vboy425/rte06mar05/v1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v725/vboy425/rte06mar05/v2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v725/vboy425/rte06mar05/v3.jpg

Macky
03-12-2006, 07:25 PM
:2funny: :2funny: :2funny: :2funny: :2funny: :2funny: :2funny: :2funny: :2funny: :2funny: :2funny: :2funny: :2funny: :2funny: :2funny:

gt40
03-12-2006, 07:28 PM
i don't care what someone who drives 5 seconds a lap slower has to say...

DruMMinStUd06
03-12-2006, 07:36 PM
you have to be freakin kidding me....

matts post was awesome O0

:2funny:

leaveit2bevo
03-12-2006, 07:38 PM
i don't care what someone who drives 5 seconds a lap slower has to say...

hahaha serious, who cares what those retards say

Gear Grinder
03-12-2006, 07:59 PM
I've always liked the S2K, but my wife wouldn't let me get one, she said "they are cars for gay asian men".

Miss Evo8
03-12-2006, 08:21 PM
I've always liked the S2K, but my wife wouldn't let me get one, she said "they are cars for gay asian men".

:2funny: :2funny: :2funny: :2funny:

Evertime I see an S2K (no offense to Asians in general) there's some damn Metro Sexual looking Asian guy driving!!! sometimes he has a buddy with him...never a guy girl combo...Hmmmm makes you wonder* *:roll:

j_nizzle
03-12-2006, 08:57 PM
this thread is so fkn funny!!! matt, you have too much time on your hands but somehow unlike the other guys our age, you seem to put it to good use!

gt40 has a good point too! they're slower at the track, plain and simple...they can keep bitching until they succumb and trade their greatest cars ever for an evo...i mean lancer...i mean poser tuner corolla.

hagakure
03-12-2006, 09:00 PM
What have you got against metro-sexuals?

j_nizzle
03-12-2006, 09:03 PM
What have you got against metro-sexuals?

that we're more stylish than her!!! LOL jk...

Miss Evo8
03-12-2006, 09:08 PM
I have got nothing against them..just stating what I always see... :roll:

j_nizzle
03-12-2006, 09:19 PM

i hear ya! i live in westminster, every other wannabe hustler has one. it's a benz, a bimmer, a porsche, lexus, just anything they can drive and feel like they own the road and makes them feel better than everyone else...too bad they spent all that money and will get nothing out of it but some STD a fobby whore gave them.

C-Spec
03-12-2006, 09:22 PM
no matter what, everyone have a different opinion.

Girl seeing only with girl = you call them lesbian
girl seeing only with guy = you call them a slut
guy seeing only with girl = you call them playa
guy seeing only with guy = you call them homo

Miss Evo8
03-12-2006, 09:24 PM

i hear ya! i live in westminster, every other wannabe hustler has one. it's a benz, a bimmer, a porsche, lexus, just anything they can drive and feel like they own the road and makes them feel better than everyone else...too bad they spent all that money and will get nothing out of it but some STD a fobby whore gave them.

The man makes the Car...not the other way around... :roll:

gt40
03-12-2006, 09:37 PM

EXACTLY... I could run a lot of other cars other than my evo which i have spent a bit of change on so far and most people look at the car and have no idea.* LAME= defining who you are by the car you drive.* I drive my car because it is really fast, not because it is on some lame poser's list...*

You either get these cars or you don't...

Miss Evo8
03-12-2006, 10:12 PM

EXACTLY... I could run a lot of other cars other than my evo which i have spent a bit of change on so far and most people look at the car and have no idea.* LAME= defining who you are by the car you drive.* I drive my car because it is really fast, not because it is on some lame poser's list...*

You either get these cars or you don't...

or u could say....
u either get girls or u don't..... ;)

chuckdashi
03-12-2006, 10:58 PM
s2ks and evos are two diffrent things... nice post matt

Absinthe
03-13-2006, 12:49 PM
wow I cant even deal with people who are that ignorant.

Alpha4LFE
03-13-2006, 12:55 PM
agreed. it's better to just ignore this failed attempt at people looking to self gratify. that is stuff you see in the forum section, not an actual published article, the editor either

1) never read it
or
2) is a complete moron

Chris in SD
03-13-2006, 02:05 PM
As a former multiple S2K and Evo owner, there is plenty of ignorance on both sides of the fence. For the last time (since I've addressed this many times on this board), they are TWO DIFFERENT CARS. It's really not hard to figure out...

For every moronic S2K owner who says something stupid about Evos and their drivers, there is an Evo driver who does the same about S2Ks and their drivers. I've owned both cars (including both at the same time at one point). Does that make me super racer metrosexual gay Asian guy who PWNS on the track (to combine all the nonsense on both sides)? No, it doesn't - I am the same guy.

The whole argument is pretty stupid. Most of the S2K guys I know personally would never consider their car to be in the same performance league as an Evo, but at the same time, they wouldn't bother to make a comparison. Honestly, I know many more Evo guys hung up on S2Ks than I do S2K guys hung up on Evos. I bought an S2000 for the precise reason that it was so different from an Evo, and that is what I wanted from a second car.

Finally, I would bet that 95% of the haters against the S2K never owned one. Same goes for haters of the Evo. Whoever said the S2K is a piece of shit is completely moronic. I have never owned a better-made, more reliable car and that includes my Evo, my S4, etc. Quit being so short-sighted and appreciate that there are many good cars out there, most for a variety of purposes. Appreciate them, not denigrate them.

OUT!

leaveit2bevo
03-13-2006, 02:31 PM
apprently there are more s2k drivers hung up on evos or a large site like that wouldnt take the time to write something like that out its pretty sad.

Chris in SD
03-13-2006, 02:39 PM
apprently there are more s2k drivers hung up on evos or a large site like that wouldnt take the time to write something like that out its pretty sad.

A full 3 pages on an Evo site to talk about what they said? It goes both ways which proves my point about how stupid it is in the first place...

leaveit2bevo
03-13-2006, 02:43 PM
good point

Highrever
03-14-2006, 04:08 PM
no matter what, everyone have a different opinion.

Girl seeing only with girl = you call them lesbian
girl seeing only with guy = you call them a slut
guy seeing only with girl = you call them playa
guy seeing only with guy = you call them homo

What if a emo drove a 650 whp evo round the track.. What that rip a hole in the space-time-continuum?

fusionchicken
04-07-2006, 04:09 PM
a Mod on evom is also a mod on s2ki, and he said that the article was written to generate more traffic to s2ki.

lots of people (esp. Evo fanboys) after reading that article, will get enraged, thus creating more members on s2ki, and generating traffic for the site.

there were 2 _huge_ threads on evom about this already. everybody that throws a fit about the article has been tricked by the reason that it was written.

just fyi :)

i mean the article is a joke to anybody with more than 1/50th of a working brain. but yea, drew gross is a retard. at least that's the general consensus on s2ki as well as the evo boards.

Terry S
04-07-2006, 04:21 PM
There's a fairly new thread on EvoM where its some S2k guy calling out any Evo that wants to race. Drag or track he says he'll beat any Evo out there. funny stuff.

Terry S

Miss Evo8
04-07-2006, 04:23 PM
You know how I know that guy is gay?............ He drives an S2K with a rainbow bumper sticker on the back that says "I like it when Balls are in my face!"

speedracer2169
04-07-2006, 04:34 PM
You know how I know that guy is gay?............ He drives an S@K with a rainbow bumper sticker on the back that says "I like it when Balls are in my face!"

oh that guy got pwned by Miss evo8

Ricardon
04-07-2006, 04:53 PM
You know how I know that guy is gay?............ He drives an S2K with a rainbow bumper sticker on the back that says "I like it when Balls are in my face!"

That's about the funniest thing I've seen this year so far.

It's just a funny, funny post because he's obviously retarded, but it's not even worth the effort to think about it really. Who fucking cares.