PDA

View Full Version : Pulled over for loud exhaust.

EugeoEvo
03-16-2006, 02:31 AM
So basically, I got pulled over in Long Beach tonight for my loud turboback exhaust. Um.. non-correctable violation 27151 (A) VC - Exhaust "System Modified." And.. I'm confused what should I do that would be the cheapest solution (like slap on my stock stuff and contest it or something?)

Also, does this exhaust ticket count as a point against my record?

javinsMR
03-16-2006, 02:41 AM
i don't think so... is it a fix it ticket?

C-Spec
03-16-2006, 02:45 AM
i don't think so... is it a fix it ticket?

dude he said "non-correctable ".

Miss Evo8
03-16-2006, 10:59 AM
Doesn't count for points...you are going to have to pay a fine...You are probably going to have to get the stock one put on...do it your self if you can. I don't know how much it will be..I got the same ticket in my old car and I had to get it signed off and pay $90.

kipper215
03-16-2006, 11:05 AM
write and check for the fine and note on it FK YO COUCH!!!!

hardcoreracing
03-16-2006, 12:03 PM
There is a "Correctable" box on the ticket and unfortunately cops are allowed to either intentionally or unintentionally mark it. If it's not marked then you don't really have many options. On my old honda I had the same type of violation so I put the stock exhaust back on and tried to claim it was like that the whole time. You have a 50/50 chance of convincing the judge. If you take that route I suggest you dress up nice for court (suit preferred) because appearances do make the difference.

Btw, what brand of exhaust were you running?

Blaze
03-16-2006, 12:07 PM
The question is: what exhaust were you running?

If it's legal, you may want to challenge the ticket in court or with a TBD.
You'll need the CARB sheet as well as a decible test.

If it all seems like too much work, then just pay the ticket and live with it.

Blaze

EugeoEvo
03-16-2006, 12:17 PM
There is a "Correctable" box on the ticket and unfortunately cops are allowed to either intentionally or unintentionally mark it. If it's not marked then you don't really have many options. On my old honda I had the same type of violation so I put the stock exhaust back on and tried to claim it was like that the whole time. You have a 50/50 chance of convincing the judge. If you take that route I suggest you dress up nice for court (suit preferred) because appearances do make the difference.

Btw, what brand of exhaust were you running?

TurboXS.. it's kinda loud

speedracer2169
03-16-2006, 12:21 PM
Whos name is the car under? If it is not under yours you can plead not guilty because you don't own the vehicle

EugeoEvo
03-16-2006, 12:28 PM
Hm.. I don't see an amount for a fine anywhere on the ticket, and no directions to put the stock back on or anything... everything's so vague... On a side note, I may or may not have been speeding, and these cops wanted to pin speeding on me so bad, but they really didn't have any evidecne (they just saw and heard my loud exhaust as I passed perpendicular to them). He was even like.. "Here's your ticket for the exhaust... unless you want me to write you up a speeding ticket too." To which I responded, "I don't know what you're talking about" because I didn't want to incriminate myself and I didn't know how to respond to that exactly... So his partner was like.. alright, you know what, pop open your hood (which is completely stock.... good thing my blow off vavle broke and my stocker is back in there). They came back and they were like... that intake piping looks aftermarket.. (cause it's silver and shiny?) but I was like it's stock you dumbasses (minus the dumbasses, but not in my mind hee hee).. and so they just had to let me go... god.. cops in long beach and stopping me for "loud exhaust" .. where the hell were they when the hood of my car got spray painted... in a neighborhood like a block down from where I got my ticket... douches

-my rant

EugeoEvo
03-16-2006, 12:29 PM
Whos name is the car under? If it is not under yours you can plead not guilty because you don't own the vehicle

Um i think it's like co-owned orsomething with my Dad's name and mine... well it says owner: His name OR mine something like that

hardcoreracing
03-16-2006, 03:00 PM
My guess is that you got that exhaust because you didn't know how loud it was at the time but you got it for a good price, or you knew how loud it was and wanted your car to have a mean sound to it since you also had the bov before.

In this day and age, it's better to go stealth instead of bling. To prevent further headaches I suggest you sell the exhaust and have a stealth magnaflow setup installed. You'll retain all of the power but you won't have the excessive noise.

For your current situation I would take Blaze's suggestion and go with TBD or go to court and hope the cop doesn't show up. I know it sux but if a cop wants to make the ticket non-correctable or just plain forgot to check the box then there's really nothing we can do about it. I tried to argue the point being exhaust should be a correctable offense, but the judge didn't wanna hear all that since his golf partner was probably the one who gave out the citation.

EVOate909
03-16-2006, 03:01 PM
jus pay the ticket...last time i got one it was like about 160

Evolution.VIII
03-16-2006, 04:58 PM
I have an HKS Hi-Power and I've been doing research to see if mine is CA legal, CARB and Decibel. I checked on HKS's site and they state their street exhausts match California law and meet the 95 db limit. Check on yours. They say I can get the material stating its legal from my local distributor (Autobacs is the nearest one to me) so I'm planning on heading in there and hoping they'll help me out with the documentation. Besides that, I'm carting around a printout of the web page with the information on it.

Good luck. If all else fails, pay the piper and move on. As kipper215 told me, it was just your time.

Skiracer
03-16-2006, 05:04 PM
Even if your exhaust is "legal", the cop can pull you over. He won't care if its legal or not, he'll let the court system decide that...

hardcoreracing
03-16-2006, 05:14 PM
EVO 8 Turboback Exhaust System (with factory catpipe) (EVO8-TBE) US$898.00
Designed specifically for the 2003+ US Spec EVO8, the EVO8-TBE comes complete with 3" ID all 304 Stainless Steel Frontpipe (EVO8-FP); and our Stainless Steel and Titanium Catback Exhaust (EVO8-CBE). It is designed to utilize the factory catalytic converter pipe in the stock position so as to maintain street-legal status and emissions compliance. NOTE: Picture shows catless race pipe (EVO8-RP) which is not included but is sold separately.

For additional power, you can purchase a Race Pipe (EVO8-RP) to replace the factory catalytic converter with a straight through 3" ID 304 Stainless Steel catless pipe (for off road use only).

Is this the one you have? It makes no reference to decibal level so I doubt that it could be considered legal from that standpoint.

EugeoEvo
03-16-2006, 05:36 PM
EVO 8 Turboback Exhaust System (with factory catpipe) (EVO8-TBE) US$898.00
Designed specifically for the 2003+ US Spec EVO8, the EVO8-TBE comes complete with 3" ID all 304 Stainless Steel Frontpipe (EVO8-FP); and our Stainless Steel and Titanium Catback Exhaust (EVO8-CBE). It is designed to utilize the factory catalytic converter pipe in the stock position so as to maintain street-legal status and emissions compliance. NOTE: Picture shows catless race pipe (EVO8-RP) which is not included but is sold separately.

For additional power, you can purchase a Race Pipe (EVO8-RP) to replace the factory catalytic converter with a straight through 3" ID 304 Stainless Steel catless pipe (for off road use only).

Is this the one you have? It makes no reference to decibal level so I doubt that it could be considered legal from that standpoint.

I don't think so.. I said I had a TurboXS catback.. and Helix downpipe..

Evolution.VIII
03-16-2006, 05:40 PM
Contact the manufacturer. They should have information available for you.

I'm assuming if it is a "street-legal" exhaust, that it conforms to ALL California regs.

I called HKS and they reassured me that the exhaust I have meets the 95 db regulation but not with a down pipe. With a DP it might go up to 96 db.

hardcoreracing
03-16-2006, 05:58 PM
TurboXS Customer Service 301-977-4727
(Monday through Friday, 9am to 5pm Eastern Time.)

Here you go. You'll need to call them tomorrow though since they are on the east coast.

Skiracer
03-16-2006, 06:03 PM
I carry this in my glovebox. It may/may not work, depending on the cop's mood

http://socalevo.net/gallery/albums/userpics/11007/normal_AVOcertificate.jpg

white power
03-17-2006, 07:18 AM
Works = low key. After owning the 'lightweight' Busher straight through it was a relief switching to quiet, perfect fitting Works stuff. No staccato, high pitched attention getting sound from the Works Tback. Just low, barely audible 'boomy' tones. Easy on the ears and the cops never look. Cant tell difference in power and complete exhaust retains ALL factory mounting points in case you need to mix/match factory DP/Cat back on for a smog ref! Never a CEL w/HFC but 96DB though, only thing? They also have a factory stock 'stealth' cat re-flanged for 3" (up to you to clean the substrate out!!! :twisted:)
http://www.worksevo.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=244
http://www.worksevo.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=188

Gear Grinder
03-17-2006, 07:45 AM
where in LB did you get pulled over? I wan't to stay out of that cops beat.

Skiracer
03-17-2006, 08:07 AM
I chopped off the grapefuit sized tip and welded on a 3" pipe on my AVO catback to make it more stealthy:
http://socalevo.net/gallery/albums/userpics/11007/normal_111-1108_IMG%20copy.jpg

hardcoreracing
03-17-2006, 09:02 AM
Looks great! Very Stealthy! O0

Skiracer
03-17-2006, 10:09 AM
It looks stocker than stock from the rear view O0
http://socalevo.net/gallery/albums/userpics/11007/normal_111-1106_IMG%20copy.jpg