PDA

View Full Version : Just got a a Smog Referee ticket for HKS RS intake what i do?

GR8 Whte
03-17-2006, 04:00 PM
Hey everyone well i was driving my gf to school today and what do you know, a bike cop is parked on the sidewalk in front of a house, i was going normal speed but wasnt wearing a seatbelt. Well once i passed him, he immediately got me. Well i know i was going to get a seatbelt ticket, but then he told me to pop my hood. He as a real asshole looking at everysingle thing. Of course he pointed to the intake and asked where the sticker was and i said i does pass smog, i just left the sticker at home (lying but it does pass smog doesnt it?). then the idiot points to the stock upper intercooler pipe and says you have a modified intake running there and i said that was stock. Then he points at my Turbo timer and says i bet you controll turbo boost with that and i just showed him what it did and he felt stupid..... well anyways i got a seat belt ticket and a smog referee for the intake....Now what should i do? Could i put the stock airbox back in or do i have to show them the intake, well i know i have to put back the stock downpipe, cat and exhaust as well....and was also wondering i have a MBC do i take that out, and is it true that the fine is $2200's.....i hate cops he was a real dick looked kindof like this: :grin:
http://www.fotosearch.com/BDX387/bxp137668/

xEviLxVIIIx
03-17-2006, 04:14 PM
put everything back to stock and also remove turbo timer, the catback exhaust can stay.

ANTHONY
03-17-2006, 04:14 PM
That sucks dude. Does your hks have a carb #

GR8 Whte
03-17-2006, 04:23 PM
no hks does not have carb number...can i fight the ticket

ANTHONY
03-17-2006, 04:25 PM
You pretty much have to get to the ref so the can make sure you but the stock air box in

DTunedEvoX
03-17-2006, 04:28 PM
Cant fight the ticket ... And the HKS RS is not street legal .. throw the stock airbox back on, take off the mbc, and throw your stick turboback on ...

hardcoreracing
03-17-2006, 05:26 PM
Sorry to hear that bro, hearing these kinds of stories just makes me sick to my stomach. Do you think if you had your seatbelt on that he woud have left you alone? Sometimes if you wave to them instead of avoiding eye contact when you drive by they seem to be more friendly and leave you alone.

Gear Grinder
03-17-2006, 05:42 PM
what city were you in?

[p]dOG.
03-17-2006, 05:48 PM
I dont think you have to remove your timer. Correct me if im wrong guys (and gals).

thugline
03-17-2006, 05:54 PM
Hey everyone well i was driving my gf to school today and what do you know, a bike cop is parked on the sidewalk in front of a house, i was going normal speed but wasnt wearing a seatbelt.* Well once i passed him, he immediately got me.* Well i know i was going to get a seatbelt ticket, but then he told me to pop my hood.* He as a real asshole looking at everysingle thing. Of course he pointed to the intake and asked where the sticker was and i said i does pass smog, i just left the sticker at home (lying but it does pass smog doesnt it?). then the idiot points to the stock upper intercooler pipe and says you have a modified intake running there and i said that was stock.* Then he points at my Turbo timer and says i bet you controll turbo boost with that and i just showed him what it did and he felt stupid..... well anyways i got a seat belt ticket and a smog referee for the intake....Now what should i do? Could i put the stock airbox back in or do i have to show them the intake, well i know i have to put back the stock downpipe, cat and exhaust as well....and was also wondering i have a MBC do i take that out, and is it true that the fine is $2200's.....i hate cops he was a real dick looked kindof like this:* :grin:
http://www.fotosearch.com/BDX387/bxp137668/

You should just stick with the stock airbox anyways (put a K&n Drop-in filter) because you get nothing but a big spool up sound not that much power from an after market intake anyways. He didn't give you an exhaust ticket (which was cool) because the fine is less.

xEviLxVIIIx
03-17-2006, 05:59 PM
dOG. ]
I dont think you have to remove your timer. Correct me if im wrong guys (and gals).

95-99% of the time, the ref will fail you visually for the turbo timer. I have seen it before.
but you might be lucky and they wont.

hardcoreracing
03-17-2006, 06:05 PM
If that's true then I'm glad I got the turbo timer incorporated with my car alarm.

[p]dOG.
03-17-2006, 06:16 PM
dOG. ]

95-99% of the time, the ref will fail you visually for the turbo timer. I have seen it before.
but you might be lucky and they wont.

ohh man that's so lame!
that has nothing to do with emissions!! and some cars come with timers from the factory. THe state is sooo lame. Good luck GR8.

alex_alex
03-17-2006, 06:18 PM
you can = take it off and make the exact same power!

thugline
03-17-2006, 06:25 PM
I have been to the "Reff" like "5 times" already and they have passed me every single time I have had the HKS tt on. So leave it on.

Skiracer
03-17-2006, 06:26 PM
Just remember the refs are SAE certified mechanics and i'm sure they've seen every trick in the book to hide mods. So, best to bring to stock or if its that much trouble, just pay the fine if possible.

darkevo
03-17-2006, 06:49 PM
Well i know i was going to get a seatbelt ticket, but then he told me to pop my hood.

Can you just say no to popping the hood?!!* Just curious.* I have the K&N intake with carb sticker, so should pass smog\ref tickets..course that's after I put the cat back on..hehe

:twisted:

rammsteinmatt
03-17-2006, 07:31 PM
you can say no. but they'll tow/impound your car so they can see what they originally wanted to

GR8 Whte
03-18-2006, 06:35 PM
Thank you everyone for your support im located in pasadena...well im just going to put the car back to stock..but once i hopefully pass, hopefully ill put in HKS cams, 720 cc injectors and S-afc are going right in and maybe a 10>2 hotside with aftermarket O2 housing and a tune...so this is not stopping me just makes me hate those pigs more thank you everyone ill update after test

GokuSSJ4
03-19-2006, 01:46 AM
glad that my car has a stock box... One of the many reasons why putting an after market Intake is not such a great idea in Cali.

Miss Evo8
03-19-2006, 11:23 AM
BREAK THE LAW!!!!! It's more fun ;)

xfactor_evo
03-19-2006, 12:25 PM
you can pay the fine and not worry about putting it back to stock but that will be like 300-400 dollars and you cant register it in ca till it gets smogged. i just did the ref last weds. cat back is cool, upgraded front mount is cool too. main thing is intake, dp, cat, and any un approved hoses like the one on the oil catch cans.

gofaster87
03-19-2006, 02:16 PM
You guys are all fucked out there. Its going to get to the point that wont be able to mod at all. To think I actually considered moving back, yea right.

xfactor_evo
03-19-2006, 11:07 PM
seriously.... i will be leaving cali real soon and going to a state that has no smog laws.

gen4k20a2
03-20-2006, 10:35 AM
i went to the ref at golden west and they were cool. i went there to get my RSX checked...didnt even say anything about the intake and my exhaust was leaking like nuts (stock) and they even put unknown exhaust on the ticket so when i got pulled over like a year later i just threw that in the cops face and he had to accept it cause i had polished off the magnaflow symbol fromt he tip.... :twisted:

bottom line the golden west guys seemed way cool

wj4
03-23-2006, 02:25 AM
I have been to the "Reff" like "5 times" already and they have passed me every single time I have had the HKS tt on. So leave it on.

why did u go to the ref 5 times for? what did the cops got u for?

wj4
03-23-2006, 02:51 AM
i went to the ref at golden west and they were cool. i went there to get my RSX checked...didnt even say anything about the intake and my exhaust was leaking like nuts (stock) and they even put unknown exhaust on the ticket so when i got pulled over like a year later i just threw that in the cops face and he had to accept it cause i had polished off the magnaflow symbol fromt he tip.... :twisted:

bottom line the golden west guys seemed way cool

wheres golden west located? what did u get pulled in for?

gen4k20a2
03-23-2006, 11:47 AM
exhaust....they just turned it on took a meter to the pipe and rev'd it to 5k then that was all. He said you pass and printed this thing out and stuck it on the back of my ticket and i was on my way

wj4
03-23-2006, 11:52 AM
exhaust....they just turned it on took a meter to the pipe and rev'd it to 5k then that was all. He said you pass and printed this thing out and stuck it on the back of my ticket and i was on my way

by any chance do u know how many dB it was?

rEdEvO8
04-19-2006, 11:51 AM
When you get a ref ticket for your intake, do they smog your car? Or do they just verify the intake is carb legal?

xEviLxVIIIx
04-19-2006, 12:03 PM
When you get a ref ticket for your intake, do they smog your car? Or do they just verify the intake is carb legal?

they do a complete smog, visual, functional and tail pipe

rEdEvO8
04-19-2006, 01:15 PM
Ahhh......any guess' how a turbo back w/ high flow cat and intake would do on a smog?

xEviLxVIIIx
04-19-2006, 01:39 PM
Ahhh......any guess' how a turbo back w/ high flow cat and intake would do on a smog?

dp, hi flow and intake must be taken off, it will fail the visual. Unless the intake has a carb e.o. #

rEdEvO8
04-20-2006, 11:47 AM
The intake has a carb number, its an AEM. I have the EO# from the Air Resources Board. The cop said that the sticker for the carb number couldve be gotten from anywhere. That is why I have to take it to the ref. I also have a decible level cert saying that my exhaust passed with the current exhaust. I had the high flow and dp when this was done. You guys think this all should be replaced back to stock?

Thanks for all you're guy's help.

xEviLxVIIIx
04-20-2006, 11:53 AM
The intake has a carb number, its an AEM. I have the EO# from the Air Resources Board. The cop said that the sticker for the carb number couldve be gotten from anywhere. That is why I have to take it to the ref. I also have a decible level cert saying that my exhaust passed with the current exhaust. I had the high flow and dp when this was done. You guys think this all should be replaced back to stock?

Thanks for all you're guy's help.

the intake will be fine as long as the carb# is for your year model vehicle. The catback can stay, it doesnt matter. the dp and hfc is where they will fail you.

When doing a decibel test, the ref doesnt care about the dp or hfc because all they are testing for is the noise level.

put stock dp and cat on.

rEdEvO8
04-20-2006, 03:01 PM
Thanks xEviLxVIIIx!

GR8 Whte
04-21-2006, 12:27 PM
Dammm! Ticket came in the mail have to pay $370 bucks and i called an asked if i have to see referee and they said no just pay

Dynoflash
05-14-2006, 09:56 PM
I feel for you guys - the cops out there are total scum

The guy says "Can I look under youyr hood?"

I just said "I am not sure how to answer that"

Then he threatens me with "I am going to arrest you for interfearing with an officer"

I said - "How am I interfareaing with you ?" : If you want to look under the hood just order me to open it"

He was playing some game trying to intimidate me into opening the hood

Jerk off took photos of the exhuast manifold and gave me a ticket

I find it amazing that they can sleep at night performaing such a task as harrasing people for fines when there are so many criminals on the loose

I hope he chokes on a donut and has a brain hemorage

DeeezNuuuts83
05-28-2006, 11:27 AM
I can't really agree with a lot of the crap that's being posted on here. While I'll admit that sometimes cops can be anal, in this situation, they didn't do anything that went beyond their duties. It sucks for the driver that the cop asked for the hood to be opened, but the cop had suspicions that illegal mods were installed, and he found a tiny one and luckily missed a big one, so the driver was lucky since fines for tampering with the catalytic converter aren't particularly fun to deal with. It's not a cop's job to harass people, but it is their job to enforce laws and prevent crime, whether it's murder, robbery, theft, drunk driving, jaywalking, or even illegal car modifications.

But here's what gets me. We're all in the state of California and I'm sure the majority of us have been here for several years. You KNOW the laws here, especially after the import scene exploded in the late 1990s. You KNOW cops are keeping an eye out for modified imports (which to them are easy tickets). You KNOW whichever intake you just installed, while hypothetically able to pass the sniffer test, isn't technically legal for road use. You KNOW all aftermarket turboback exhausts are illegal. You KNOW your aftermarket exhaust is probably too loud. Yet when it all goes down and you get stopped by a cop who you KNOW is itching to give you a ticket for an easy non-moving violation for parts on your car that you KNOW isn't street legal yet you installed it anyway, you get mad and blame the cops. That's how I was originally when I got a ticket for modified exhaust on my previous car back in 2002, but I learned my lesson. Come on now, be realistic.

909Evo
05-28-2006, 11:51 AM
Holy crap...

Thank you.

gofaster87
05-28-2006, 12:26 PM
The fact of the matter is it depends on where you live. I lived in a county located in socal that didnt waste their time and ours by giving ridiculous tickets. This is also a county that doesnt have much crime so they dont use that as an excuse. So yes, different departments can choose to be dicks about the tickets they give. Jay walking is a crime but very few officers choose to ticket the pedestrain, there is a choice.