PDA

View Full Version : Which stroker should I get, a 2.3 or a 2.4

thugline
03-18-2006, 05:55 AM
I will be getting a GT35r kit later on this year and I eventually want to get a stroker kit but I am having a hard time deciding which one to go with. I want my power band to reach 9,000 rpm and from what I heard you cannot make that happen with the 2.4. But, on the other hand people say that the "Piston speeds" are too fast(on a 2.3) and the motor won't last long as a 2.4. Sam from "Srtmotorsports" has had the "Toda stroker kit" in his car for 2 1/2 years and runs race gas all the time. All said and done I just want to get the stroker that's reliable and be able to shift @ 9,500 Rpm(of course with a built Race head) without a problem. I want to take my car "road racing" and not "drag" and be able to drive it everyday.

trinydex
03-18-2006, 08:51 AM
uhm... why wouldn't you have rre get the motor?

anyway, why do you wanna rev to 9k? well i guess that's a dumb question, for what it's worth, i think you will not be able to rev to 9k on pump gas elevated egts will make things dangerous every time you do it. with that said if you're gonna run high rpm, i would be wary of any motor that is not built with titanium internals and is cooled VERY VERY VERY WELL. also... with a 9k rev limit comes 9k accessories pumps like oil pump, water pump and also everything else in the bay that runs off the motor needs to etiher be removed or also be worthy at 9k, this might mean underdriving everything or removing everything, things like a/c.

that being said if you still want to continue, i suggest getting a cosworth head with all their best goodies. that takes care of hte head. now you sell your stock evo head to someone that broke theirs cuz they tried to do something like you're doing without a cosworth head.

then you go to rre and say... build me high revving engine, and then limit me to 8000 rpms so i can run it all day on bad gasoline. at this point they will give you the choice 2.4 or 2.3 and you say, you guys pick... surprise me! and they will say, well if you rebuild your motor it's $xxxx.xx and if you keep your motor and buy a 2.4 it will be about $xxxx.xx (this price is similar to the other xxxx.xx already mentioned). at this point you'll say aw fuck it let's get the xxxx.xx motor and be done with it.

then you take you and your gt35r to the race track and do some actual work on your car... as in... you're actually working on it, instead of actually having it... and getting it worked on more than you're actually having it.

[p]dOG.
03-18-2006, 09:01 AM
I belive the 2.3 is a stroker engine and the 2.4 isnt. I have heard that the 2.4 is a better track motor due to the fact that it hasn't been bored and honed. You know "stronger block"

*chris*
03-18-2006, 09:17 AM
im pretty sure you cant rev a storker to over 9k. i believe AMS stroker tops at 8.7 just for an example.

gt40
03-18-2006, 10:06 AM
2.4 is more torque than the 2.3 at all ranges and will live longer. It isn't a stroker and piston speeds are different + it just spools stuff a little faster.
Who told you that you have to rev to 9k to make power? I you want a pure drag queen car that makes a lot of power from 6500 to 9k but less power than a civic at all other rpms, go right ahead and just build a 2.0.

What are you trying to accomplish? A 35r with a 2.4 is insane power. That dr. gray stage zillion that was just up for sale(red with mass carbon) made 570whp + on just a 3076 and insta spool. I would suggest get you motor built local in any case. Getting a major engine build + major shipping costs and lack of service just never made much sense unless it was free :p

Alfred@TTech
03-18-2006, 10:35 AM
The 2.3 is a stroker as you are upping the stroke of the crank and slightly increasing the bore ssize of your original 2.0. The 2.4 is not a stroker. It uses all of its original parts to include crank, aftermaket pistons and rods, which are the sam size as it came with. We have seen many of both motors come through here and I can tell you that they are 99% identical in power. The main difference between the two is the piston design. The 2,4 uses a full size piston as it is not a stroker....the 2.3 stroker uses a custom piston which is slightly shorter than the other. This is to accomodate the longer stroke of the 2.3.

I think both motors are good, they both perform very well and are very very dependable. As for revving, unless you have a huge turbo you will not be making power beyond 7000 rpm........so the combo between this fact and pistonb speeds.....revving to 9k is just not feasible or needed.

Good luck with your decision and anyone, feel free to call us with any questions or concerns.

TTech
909-783-1200

[p]dOG.
03-18-2006, 11:02 AM
question on the 2.3L. So the piston is shorter and not wider? So you dont need to bore out? I thought it was a combination of wider bore and taller stroke.

TuningTechnologies
03-18-2006, 11:39 AM
The stroke of the 2.0 isincreased by putting in the 4g64 crank. The bore is slightly increased as I stated in the first post because you have to go 20 over on the new pistons when you do all the machining for the new motor. All standard stuff. I think thepiston speed gets close to max levels right about 8300 rpm. This is just a basic mathematical formula used to calculate piston speed and comparing it to other available data and safety levels.

rammsteinmatt
03-18-2006, 06:31 PM
i find this to be funny.

thugline specifically says that he wants a motor for road racing, not drag racing. but what does he "think" he wants? a big turbo and a motor that rev's to the moon, doesnt that fundamentally define drag racing?

if it was up to me, i'd use a 3076 as that would give plenty enough power for road racing.

trinydex
03-18-2006, 07:56 PM
i find this to be funny.

thugline specifically says that he wants a motor for road racing, not drag racing. but what does he "think" he wants? a big turbo and a motor that rev's to the moon, doesnt that fundamentally define drag racing?

if it was up to me, i'd use a 3076 as that would give plenty enough power for road racing.

well if it were up to me i'd change physics nad engineering and make a car that could rev up to 15k take lots of boost and make the same amount of power and same amount of torque throughout the power band... would that be good for drag racing? yeah, but it'd be good for the f1 car in yer sig too.

TuningTechnologies
03-18-2006, 10:11 PM
Gofaster is right, a properly built 2.0 can easily rev to 9000 rpm. I have seen them last for many races where they were repeatedly...and for extended times....rev there. Even the stroker is good for 8000 rpm....now going there without a oversize turbo is needless as the car isnt aking any more power but is still enduring the stress levels at those rpm's.

turbolarry
03-19-2006, 12:12 AM
If you really want to rev;
No, I mean really want to rev... 9,000 RPM's plus
2.1L Destroke; a 4G64 2.4L block with a 4G63 crankshaft.
http://www.slowboyracing.com/more.php?id=4855&

Mike W
05-11-2006, 11:27 PM
A built motor would be one of the last mods I'd do iffn I was going to do some track day playing. If you are getting ready for track day lapping do everything opposite of what you see the cool kids doing here. Tires, more track time, Brakes, more track time, suspension, more track time, more tires and more brake pads, more track time, maintenence, more track time, minor power mods, more track time...

If and when you kill the motor then go big if you need to. Everything happens 1000 rpm sooner. If your crank is dead, go 2.3. If your block is dead too, go 2.4. That usually is the deciding factor we see.

Mike W

SilverMr
06-10-2006, 05:40 PM
Cosworth is now making a 2.0 and a 2.2 and both are capable of 9000rpm's and they are very well built but you will have to pay.

fly2low
10-05-2006, 09:27 AM
I guess what they say in psych is true: people always try to recreate their old habits/relations when they move to a new environment. The ex-Honda boys want to rev like a bike with their Evos.

I came from a different setting: big V8 motors. Hence, I am still trying to learn al the trinkets about turbocharged 4G63.

I still have the weird feeling anytime I have to rev north of 7k.

I still miss the low-end torque, which is an instant gratification in its own way. However, once I am past the 1st gear, it doesn't really matter anymore. RRE GT3076R is doing a great job overall in 2.0L and pump gas. I really want to get a tune for 100 octane now.

The lag is a bit overated IMO. Unless, you drag race a Viper or something at every traffic light (street race, of course, is NEVER condoned), you won't really be bug with the lag. If you drag race or road race at the track, you'll learn to keep the rpm at the spot, anyway.

With the big power (big turbo), you need to think about the (financial) consequences, anyway. Dr. Gray's stage 2 stops at the big turbo. I think it is reaching the threshold.

After driving the car for a while, I know that I need a bigger intercooler (+pipes) and radiator (just to be safe), especially if I go to track. In addition, I'd need a better brake, a better suspension, and a better clutch. Another things that are mentioned in the stages definitions. I know if I don't upgrade these things (plus brushing my driving skills), I am gonna get f*cked big time if I go to track.

So, I guess what I want to say is: if you plan to spent $x dollar on your engine mods, plan to have another $x-$1.5x as a reserve for "just-in-case" and other supporting upgrades. This doesn't include the possibility of blowing the engine and worse fuel economy Keep in mind that your expensive mods are not covered in your full coverage insurance unless you have a custom appraisal (one more reason not to road race and always buy a track insurance). Younger people tend to save their hard earn money to modify their cars without thinking about the further possibilities. So, I guess I am just trying to share one thing or two without sounding like your old man :p.

trinydex
10-05-2006, 03:07 PM
appears that the atp kits at least have the potential to put our semi normal numbers if you port them to not block massive amounts of flow.

other stocklooking options include the rre turbo kit. get a 3071 powered by a 2.4 and have great torque and little fall off on pump gas all day.

trinydex
10-05-2006, 09:32 PM
http://www.socalevo.net/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=26&topic=11672.0

all this has been covered.

fly2low
10-16-2006, 02:46 AM
Out of curiosity,

2.3 or 2.4L will spool the turbo faster since it generates more low end torque. However, the engine will also rev slower due to the extra lenght of stroke. Is this noticable or is it compensated by the earlier spool turbo. TIA.

gt40
10-16-2006, 07:05 AM
It isn't noticable and things like a lightened clutch/flywheel will make a real difference though. The stroke difference is not something you will feel. My 2.4 with a race clutch revs like a motorcycle...

trinydex
10-16-2006, 11:19 AM
Out of curiosity,

2.3 or 2.4L will spool the turbo faster since it generates more low end torque. However, the engine will also rev slower due to the extra lenght of stroke. Is this noticable or is it compensated by the earlier spool turbo. TIA.
how fast a motor free revs has nothing or very little to do with stroke length. it has to do with the amount of horsepower produced. notice that a civic with a 1.8 liter motor revs terribly slow but a race built ls2 motor revs very fast. it's about how much gasoline you're burning every cycle of hte engine... not the dimensions of the engine.

maximum rev limit is dictated by dimensions. and as far as that is concerned the 2.3 and the 2.4 are the same as they use the same crank which then gives the same stroke length.

fly2low
10-16-2006, 01:54 PM
In my previous life, before I got reincarnated to drive an Evo ....

usually a stroker kit in a n/a engine makes the engines revs slower although producing more torque throughout the powerband.

I guess it is a tad unfair to compare a race-built Chevy engine with a street Honda engine, isn't it ... like comparing rotten orange to apple.

I think it is more fair to compare the same setup with the difference only in the crankshaft.

Yeah, gt40, please post a vid on the way your car rev. Who knows if it could ever work to use a plea of insanity for Mr. Po someday :).

Muellerized...
10-16-2006, 04:29 PM
In my previous life, before I got reincarnated to drive an Evo ....

usually a stroker kit in a n/a engine makes the engines revs slower although producing more torque throughout the powerband.

I guess it is a tad unfair to compare a race-built Chevy engine with a street Honda engine, isn't it ... like comparing rotten orange to apple.

I think it is more fair to compare the same setup with the difference only in the crankshaft.

Yeah, gt40, please post a vid on the way your car rev. Who knows if it could ever work to use a plea of insanity for Mr. Po someday :).

My 2400 revs like this at Laguna:
http://www.socalevo.net/forum/index.php?topic=30068.0

c32c7
10-30-2006, 07:21 PM
I personally think a built 2.0 is the way to go. You DO NOT want to be revving a 2.3 in the 8k RPM range anyways, due to the fact that the piston speeds will be too high and that thing will tear itself apart in short time. If you want to build a GT35R freeway monster, 2.0 is the way to go. More RPM's to play with and stay in boost longer.

Muellerized...
10-31-2006, 11:02 AM
When you're racing at the track, your car's engine lives at 5k RPM and above. Lag isn't an issue.

This is not accurate, a lot of the lap with an Evo is spent below 5000rpm, boost response and bottom end power is more important than peak power on a road course.

Muellerized...
11-01-2006, 01:06 PM
the bozz evo ran an abismal time 1 05 somecrap... and the forum restricted evo's time 1 03 82 as recorded on the video is not lower than the muellerized 1 03 77. now why would they do that? not to mention they can't keep a damn upper ic pipe on for the life of them. keep in mind it was also mueller's personal daily driver (full interior) that was running, not widebody, no slicks.

+1 i have the dvd also. Vish a dumb ass always claiming they winning this and that but no records. :uglystupid2:

C-Spec, aren't you the guy that claims S-AFC is the way to go when it comes to tuning an EVO over ECUFlash or any other form or reflash?

Point is, neither the Bozz car or the [forum-restricted] car blew up.
did you miss the part where the intercooler pipe came off? in a race situation both cars lose. so pipe down. the fact is that john got the fastest lap before he blew which technically means that shivnu didn't even get that much. i'm not gonna discredit them for building car using some nice suspension but you also should realize your arguement is weak.

My car got shifted from 2nd to 1st on an upshift, overrevving it, which broke the end off of the intake valve guide. The pieces of valve guide rattled thru the motor ending our day, that failure had nothing to do with boost level or tuning. Thankfully my daily driver went fast enough in its one lap and was well prepared enough to score enough points to finish in front of all the other Evos at the event. My race car is only between 5-8 seconds a lap faster than my street car depending on the track...

We just ran and finished a 4 hour endurance race with our 2400cc motor, running a peak boost of 1.75 bar, why would less displacement be better?

c32c7
11-01-2006, 05:25 PM
John, isn\'t the 2400cc motor basically not a 4G63 anymore? Do you think a 2.3L stroker engine built from a 4G63 block would have held up as well as the 2.4L did?

leaveit2bevo
11-01-2006, 10:21 PM
2400cc is a 4G63 head on a 4G64 block. If you read what he wrote, the car was misshifted from 2nd to 1st breaking something in the head. So it wouldnt make a difference.

c32c7
11-01-2006, 10:39 PM
^^^That is not what I was asking him. Im asking him whether he feels a 2.3 or 2.4 would hold up better at the track for an endurance race.

Evo8supercar
11-01-2006, 11:30 PM
I had a 2.4 for a year and never got a good day at the track, always had problems. SPEND THE MONEY ON SUSPENSION FIRST
I am back to stock motor with only some basic mods and never felt better Love my car. I am WAY faster with 340WHP RELIABLE THAN 580WHP NOT VERY RELIABLE

Don't do it.

trinydex
11-02-2006, 01:00 AM
^^^That is not what I was asking him. Im asking him whether he feels a 2.3 or 2.4 would hold up better at the track for an endurance race.
uhm... form a technical standpoint the 2.4 and the 2.3 have the same piston speed so rev is the same.

otherwise the 2.3s require funny pistons. funny pistons can't be a good thing. the 2.4 uses normal pistons but some like oil squirters others don't. in the end... ask your engine builder.

talk to chris at rrs

Smogrunner
12-24-2006, 06:26 PM
I have the stroker 2.3 and love it. I'm not "arguing" in favor of the 2.3, but I do want to point out that one shoudn't expect to make more power or torque because of the 2.4's additional displacement. The extra torque should be there in theory, but it is hard to find 2.4s out performing 2.3s with the exact same mods. Get the 2.3 if your block is salvagable, and the 2.4 if not....

trinydex
12-25-2006, 10:09 AM
how big is the 2.4 anyway? like exact numbers cuz isn't the 2.3 like 2.25 in reality.

GokuSSJ4
12-25-2006, 05:59 PM
how big is the 2.4 anyway? like exact numbers cuz isn't the 2.3 like 2.25 in reality.
what are the displacement #s to be exact on the 2.4l ? ? ? if that happens to be the case

WOT
01-04-2007, 01:45 AM
a 2.3 is easier, as everything is a direct bolt up for the most part.

I would go with a 2.4 over a 2.3. Yeah, its' only 0.1 liter more, but if your using a 35r for example with a decent head & all the good-guy parts, your looking @ 300hp/liter

300*2.3 = 690 or 300*2.4 = 720, you decide.

I would take larger bore over a smaller 1 any day of the week to help the head breath, as long as the larger bore has the same structural integrity as the smaller bore, which i beleive is the case with a 2.4 block

GokuSSJ4
01-04-2007, 09:31 AM
a 2.3 is easier, as everything is a direct bolt up for the most part.

I would go with a 2.4 over a 2.3. Yeah, its' only 0.1 liter more, but if your using a 35r for example with a decent head & all the good-guy parts, your looking @ 300hp/liter

300*2.3 = 690 or 300*2.4 = 720, you decide.

I would take larger bore over a smaller 1 any day of the week to help the head breath, as long as the larger bore has the same structural integrity as the smaller bore, which i beleive is the case with a 2.4 block

keep in mind that this wouldnt be so much on an option on the IX's, since from what i have been told the block is different, do to the Mivec oil pump that goes to the head to feed the intake cam

trinydex
01-04-2007, 11:07 AM
it's already been done... of course it's an option

trinydex
01-04-2007, 11:26 AM
i haven't asked. i just figured if it can be done rre can do it.

smokinevo9
01-04-2007, 11:41 AM
my question is who has a decend price for a stoker kit and install.

trinydex
01-04-2007, 07:48 PM
u wanna see mike from rre tell you how to do it

MR. Birdie
02-19-2007, 10:49 PM
check this out, crower release a 2.4 stroker kit.

http://www.jscspeed.com/evo/evo_base.html?/evo/engineinternals/bc_stroker.htm

GokuSSJ4
02-20-2007, 12:02 AM
check this out, crower release a 2.4 stroker kit.

http://www.jscspeed.com/evo/evo_base.html?/evo/engineinternals/bc_stroker.htm
great info!!!
hmmm i wonder how much labor would cost to put something like this together :wink:

2.4L Pro Series 4G63 Stroker Kit:
9.0:1 Compression
86mm Bore
102mm Stroke Billet Crank
Pro Series Rods $2999 BC0108

MR. Birdie
02-20-2007, 08:38 AM
I heard that its better off building the 4G64 block because the piston speed and everything is the same as stroking it to 2.3L. With the higher stroker it reduce the redline on this stroker.

FullForce
02-21-2007, 03:07 PM
I always like the 2.4's

EvoPwr
02-21-2007, 03:41 PM
I always like the 2.4's
i have consider a 2.4 for my IX.. but un sure of the pros and cons from staying with the OEM 2.0l

less torque and power and a longer spool up. duh ;)

EvoPwr
02-21-2007, 03:54 PM
gotcha, well i don't know everything about it, but I would think that buying a 2.4 would be better/safer because that is the size that it comes, whereas the 2.3 is a modified 2.0...anytime you modify something it becomes more at risk for breaking and things to go wrong.

frickster
04-03-2007, 11:21 PM
Either or will be fine.

BMan
04-05-2007, 05:32 PM
i find this to be funny.

well if it were up to me i'd change physics nad engineering and make a car that could rev up to 15k take lots of boost and make the same amount of power and same amount of torque throughout the power band... would that be good for drag racing? yeah, but it'd be good for the f1 car in yer sig too.

Um...electric motor?

trinydex
04-05-2007, 07:12 PM
no... powered by sarcasm

JDM_CT9A08
05-02-2007, 01:51 AM
I just ordered the Toda 2.3 stroker. im on wait for 5-6weeks :-\. bu I cant wait to get it :grin:

i have the Greddy T67 turbo kit, and it is LAGGY!!!!!!!!!! im hoping with this kit it will be better.

note: the T67 spools at 5,000rpm. im hoping to get it down to 4,000rpm O0

fusionchicken
05-02-2007, 03:12 AM
I just ordered the Toda 2.3 stroker. im on wait for 5-6weeks :-\. bu I cant wait to get it :grin:

i have the Greddy T67 turbo kit, and it is LAGGY!!!!!!!!!! im hoping with this kit it will be better.

that is baller status. the spool will def. be better with the extra displacement O0

this 5-6 weeks will feel like an eternity for ya, hang in there mate :D

JDM_CT9A08
05-02-2007, 10:13 AM
hahahahaha you have no idea hahaha
i need a fast foward button lol

Terry S
05-02-2007, 10:54 AM
I believe your not the only person who's purchased the Toda kit... I'm actually not curious to see the results. LOL

Terry S

trinydex
05-02-2007, 12:00 PM
funny me neither...

cosworth has several different kits in case anyone dind't know

JDM_CT9A08
05-02-2007, 01:13 PM
i know, but its new to me O0

thugline
05-02-2007, 01:27 PM
Damn, this thread is over a year old and it's still going strong. LOL!!

j_nizzle
05-02-2007, 02:59 PM
I believe your not the only person who's purchased the Toda kit... I'm actually not curious to see the results. LOL

Terry S

see Sam@SRT

leaveit2bevo
05-02-2007, 03:56 PM
what size is a t67 compared to the gt turbos?

fusionchicken
05-02-2007, 05:05 PM
37r iirc

leaveit2bevo
05-02-2007, 05:52 PM
god damn

JDM_CT9A08
05-02-2007, 07:21 PM
yea laaaaaagggggyyyyy

but it will pay off later :-D

antics22
05-02-2007, 10:31 PM

would you mind sharing where you ordered your stroker kit from and cost? Who is doing the install? Thank in advance for sharing...

JDM_CT9A08
05-03-2007, 12:01 AM
JDMautohaus in san bernardino is sponsering it O0

their the Toda authorized dealer out here so im sure if i would of paid for it it wouldnt had been that much.

and right now the install is between Tune Tech or Cosworth

antics22
05-03-2007, 12:10 AM
Thank you, I am definitely monitoring your progress on this and look forward to your review and thoughts.... Keep us posted, will ya?

Skiracer
05-03-2007, 12:25 AM
JDMautohaus in san bernardino is sponsering itÂ* O0

their the Toda authorized dealer out here so im sure if i would of paid for it it wouldnt had been that much.

and right now the install is between Tune Tech or Cosworth

Cosworth installs engines for the general public??

JDM_CT9A08
05-03-2007, 12:32 AM
I will keep everyone updated.

Im not sure if they do. But im going through JDM so yea O0

Sorry to get off topic, but im looking for a bigger intake manifold. witch one would you guys recommend??

antics22
05-03-2007, 12:45 AM
Have you looked into the Magnus intake manifold? They look pretty well put together. Road Race carries them I think.

JDM_CT9A08
05-03-2007, 12:51 AM
I have and it looks really nice.

I was just wondering if the AMS unit is worth the 1,000dollar price or if I can get the same results with the Magnus unit.

antics22
05-03-2007, 12:59 AM
you got me there... sounds to me like you are running out of things to buy... haa haa.

JDM_CT9A08
05-03-2007, 01:07 AM
hahaha no, dont see me as a baller. im getting alot of help from JDMautohaus.

Im just trying to get the best products for the buck. O0

antics22
05-03-2007, 09:32 AM
never saw it that way, bro!Â* I don't hate, I have nothing but love for EVO's,Â* from neon-lighted evos on dubs, to 600hp track whore ones....Â* Â*And if you are baller, more power to you..Â* Â*nothing wrong with that!

JDM_CT9A08
05-03-2007, 04:01 PM
hahaha well thats cool then. O0

JDM_CT9A08
05-28-2007, 12:37 AM
UPDATE: Toda called, the crankshaft is done and so are the rings, and rods etc. the only thing left is for the pistons to get done then they fit it and ship it over O0

wilson1
07-16-2007, 12:18 AM
UPDATE: Toda called, the crankshaft is done and so are the rings, and rods etc. the only thing left is for the pistons to get done then they fit it and ship it over O0

How's your stroker running?

JDM_CT9A08
07-21-2007, 04:19 PM
sorry i havent checked this thread in forever.

The stroker is on its way via freight, should be here this week!!!

i didnt think it would take this long!!

i got quoted almost 2,000 dollars for the install alone, i dont think that included the tuning i need.

wilson1
07-21-2007, 04:24 PM
sorry i havent checked this thread in forever.

The stroker is on its way via freight, should be here this week!!!

i didnt think it would take this long!!

i got quoted almost 2,000 dollars for the install alone, i dont think that included the tuning i need.

What components will be going in with the stroker?

JDM_CT9A08
07-21-2007, 04:32 PM
im currently running the greddy T67 kit, i want to see how that does with the stroker. if it dont do well, then ill save up for a GT35 or GT37

i also plan to get the ams intake manifold, custom upper intercooler pipe and meth.

jazznevoluva
08-03-2007, 03:29 PM
2.4 FTW!!

SeanC
12-10-2007, 08:11 PM
4G64 Blocks are cheap and easy to find. I'm selling my EVO 9 shortblock to install a 4G64 bottom end...