PDA

View Full Version : Buttonwillow May 26 (Friday)!

Bonster
03-18-2006, 08:50 PM
I have been a member of the northern California Evo newslist for a couple years now, and many of those folks have attended our track day. It was recommended to me by RichardEvo to perhaps post on this list as well, given that you all are closer to Buttonwillow. So here's the deal:

T.E.A.M. Racing brings to you its first event of 2006 -- a fun-packed track day at Buttonwillow Raceway on May 26th. Cost is only $210 per driver. As always, our events will include morning coffee service, a supply of water and Gatorade, snacks, catered lunches, and at least two hours of track time! Also, we have a dedicated team of instructors to help out not only the novice drivers (automatic), but folks at the intermediate and advanced levels (please request an instructor ahead of time), as well! Our instructors have gone through extensive training, to make sure we are all onboard with exactly what we must do to keep you safe and happy. For complete details, please visit us on the web at http://www.team-racing.org or email us at [email protected] . We hope you can join us!!! :mitsu: :D :mitsu:

Bonni Weatherwax ~ http://www.team-racing.org
"It's not how fast you go, but how big your grin is!"

Richard EVO
03-18-2006, 10:21 PM
Bonni

You got in just under the wire. They are going to start charging a fee for event organizers to post here starting April 1, or applying some other restrictions, but you are fine now. I will try to attend your event if I can.

You should post configuration and direction. I like #25 CCW. O0

Bonster
03-18-2006, 11:22 PM
Wow -- charging a fee for advertising track events on a newslist is unprecedented. Not to mention, folks like me that do this for fun (I hate paying the high track fees that some clubs charge, which is why I started doing this in the first place) will probably not post anymore. Ah, well.

Anywho . . . we're running Race #1 CCW. As you probably already know, I have spoken to many folks 'in the know' about the safest yet most fun config to run, and this one keeps popping up. I hope to finally meet you! Take care,

BW

Richard EVO
03-19-2006, 11:02 AM
The only difference between #1 and #25 is that #1 runs the "Bus Stop," while #25 runs the full back straight ("Dog Leg") instead.* So #1 CCW is a close second favorite for me, although I think the attitude of the Bus Stop run CCW is a bit weird.* It is much better since they smoothed out, lowered and repainted the burms in the Bus Stop last year.* Before that, the burm on the right side going thru the Bus Stop CCW was very high and rough, and if you went too high up on it, you could just about go airborne (although some EVO drivers like that -- lol).* Hope to see you there, with lots of SoCal EVOs representing.* :D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v79/richard350z/Buttonwillowconfig1.gif

Miss Evo8
03-19-2006, 11:28 AM
:mitsu: thinking about it

Bonster
03-19-2006, 11:51 AM
I like the word, "lots" Richard. ;) For a couple of years now folks I know from the SoCal area have been asking us to do a track down there (i.e., BW or WSIR / Streets). We're going to try and get at least one day a year with Buttonwillow, depending on how signups go. Hope we see lots of Evos out there! :)

BW

ArBizZzLe
03-19-2006, 01:18 PM
I am soo looking forward to this. Hopefully nothing pops up and I can make it.

Bonster
03-19-2006, 02:28 PM
Tell you what, folks . . . Richard has probably already seen this deal, but . . . if you get five drivers to sign up (referencing your name somewhere on the form), your day will be free! Or, you can get six of you together and just split the overall cost, making it $175 each. I'll even extend the late fees from April 1st to say, April 8th so you can get more folks in time. And by the way, this deal is applicable to all T.E.A.M. events, for future reference. Cool, eh? :)

BW

Black_Evo
03-19-2006, 11:06 PM
Hopefully I'll be able to make this one. It's the only track that is close to me.

One question. Would a cracked windshield prevent me from tracking my car?

Bonster
03-20-2006, 07:45 AM
One question. Would a cracked windshield prevent me from tracking my car?

***Nah, not for us. I mean, really . . . you can get a cracked windshield on your way (hint) to an event for all anyone knows. My racecar has a nice little crack in it . . . at tech for race days they dismiss it because (a) it's on the passenger side anyway and (b) it's matured to the point that it's obvious that the windshield won't just cave in. So if it's good enough for racing, surely it's good enough for a track day. I think the only folks anal enough to worry about a cracked windshield might be the PCA and BMWCCA. And that is still a pretty big MAYBE. So you're good! :)

BW

Richard EVO
03-20-2006, 08:22 AM
I've run 30 to 40 track days with a cracked windshield in my EVO. If an event organizer complained about it, I'd think he was cracked. . . . :idiot2:

hagakure
03-21-2006, 03:48 PM
Hey Bonnie....

I plan on being there. With any luck it will be the first event I can tow my car to. I'm looking for an older F-150 4X4 as we speak....tired of driving the car to the track.

Percy

Richard EVO
03-21-2006, 03:53 PM
Hey Bonnie....

I plan on being there. With any luck it will be the first event I can tow my car to. I'm looking for an older F-150 4X4 as we speak....tired of driving the car to the track.

Percy

I like driving my car to the track. You will need to buy and truck and trailer. You need to insure the truck (this is a wash if you are taking the EVO off the street and don't have to insure it anymore, but I don't know if you are doing that). Then you have to attach the trailer to the truck and load up the car the night before the event. If you don't have someone to help you, this is even more of a pain in the ass. Then you have to drive to the event at truck/trailer speeds. Then you have to stay at a hotel and park the damn truck/trailer. Then you have to get to the event early and unload the car. Then at the end of the day you have to do it all in reverse. Plus you have to find a place to park the truck and trailer when you are home.

I just get in my car an hour and a half before the gates open at Willow Springs and drive up there. Plenty of room for extra wheels and tools in an EVO.

DsmDriver
03-21-2006, 05:00 PM
:mitsu: thinking about it

Man your all over the track thing huh..dont you work? I need your schedule! And money..

Bonster
03-21-2006, 05:39 PM
DsM -- driving is my job! That is my work! Tough life, I know. Actually, I do have a regular job, too . . . I know, that wasn't a reply intended for me, but thought I'd reply anyway. :)

Richard . . . I know of the desire to get a truck and trailer. Your cons are quite valid, but here are the pros of having a tow rig:

1. It has air conditioning.
2. It has carpeting / insulation from noise.
3. It has a radio / cassette / cd player.
4. It has cruise control.
5. You don't have to smog your racecar anymore.
6. If you break your racecar, you can still get home.
7. It puts no wear and tear on typically high-priced racing equipment.
8. It prevents you from having to worry about getting into a street accident (worthless waste of a racecar).
9. You no longer have to buy insurance for the racecar.

I have been seriously thinking of getting a truck and trailer myself. I cannot even begin to think of the idea of driving my racecar all the way down to BW in a couple of months. I will be renting transport if I can find it. Not only is a fully prepped racecar uncomfortable for long distances, it is noisy, often boiling hot inside, it's hard on the brain for long distances (no radio, etc). Coming back from Sears Point, I always get stuck in traffic -- which totally bites in a stick shift that is not comfortable in the first place. I love my racecar, just not on long trips. For a person with a fully prepped racecar, the truck and trailer is the way to go. I can hardly wait 'til I get transport! Yeaaa!!!

BW

DsmDriver
03-21-2006, 05:43 PM
DsM -- driving is my job! That is my work! Tough life, I know. Actually, I do have a regular job, too . . . I know, that wasn't a reply intended for me, but thought I'd reply anyway. :)

Richard . . . I know of the desire to get a truck and trailer. Your cons are quite valid, but here are the pros of having a tow rig:

8. It prevents you from having to worry about getting into a street accident (worthless waste of a racecar).

I have been seriously thinking of getting a truck and trailer myself. I cannot even begin to think of the idea of driving my racecar all the way down to BW in a couple of months. I will be renting transport if I can find it. Not only is a fully prepped racecar uncomfortable for long distances, it is noisy, often boiling hot inside, it's hard on the brain for long distances (no radio, etc). Coming back from Sears Point, I always get stuck in traffic -- which totally bites in a stick shift that is not comfortable in the first place. I love my racecar, just not on long trips. For a person with a fully prepped racecar, the truck and trailer is the way to go. I can hardly wait 'til I get transport! Yeaaa!!!

BW

NP i still envy you

Bonster
03-21-2006, 05:55 PM
Well, it's an up and down battle, DSM . . . sometimes we make money, sometimes we lose money. I still love it though, even when it comes out of my pocket. There's nothing quite like seeing a bunch of huge grins, knowing that you just supplied an opportunity for folks to become better drivers while having a blast at it. :) And my real job involves driving, too -- I am a service writer for a local (HUGE) auto auction, part of which requires me to take the cars onto a test track. Sometimes the cars are nasty (usually the repos), but then there's that occasional Porsche Carrera, or the Lotus Elise, or a really clean Acura. Not many Evos, dang it. I still have not driven one of those! Richard? Percy? Can I borrow the keys? Yeah, RIGHT! Lol. ;)

BW

Richard EVO
03-21-2006, 06:03 PM

BW

I have considered getting a truck and trailer too, but have decided against it at this point. *In rebuttal to some of your "pros" above, my EVO is not fully race prepped. *As such, it still has air conditioning (it took some fabrication with the racing radiator to accomplish this, but I kept the A/C). *It has a radio/CD player, with a removable face plate. *It has carpets -- I remove the floor mats but the carpeting, and even the rear seat, are still in the car at this point. *If I buy a truck and take the race car off the street, it is really a wash with the insurance, since I don't have to insure the track car, but I do have to insure the truck. *I don't think you put much wear and tear on the car driving it to and from the track. *I have two sets of wheels, and 8 (or more) RA-1s. *I use the new ones to drive to and from the track, and the well scrubbed in ones on the track. *When the track tires cord, I start tracking the newer set that I used to use on the street, and buy a brand new set for the hiway. *Hiway miles don't put a lot of wear on RA-1s or racing brake pads, since you don't use the brakes much on the hiway.

Actually the biggest issue for me is that the car is tuned to run on 100 octane or higher unleaded all the time. *I have to find gas stations that carry it, and then pay $5+ per gallon. *I can run on 91 on the hiway if I absolutely have to, but I don't dare go past about half throttle. *I keep 10 gals. at home in two 5-gallon jugs as a back-up, since I don't really live that near a gas station that carries 100, although there are several in the greater L.A. area. *

Then there is the cost of buying a truck and trailer.* I'd rather spend that money on modifications, track entry fees, racing fuel, R-compound tires, racing brake pads, etc. etc. etc.

An EVO RS doesn't have cruise control, electric windows and doors, ABS, or any other luxury goodies, but I don't care much about that. *It came without the radio but I added one.

One more thing -- my EVO is a 2004 model. *The current law in Calif. is that you don't have to get the car smogged until it is 6 years old (used to be 4 years), so I don't get my first smog test until 2010, and by then, the car will be a burnt out hulk. If it is still a running track car in 2010, I can make it a trailer queen and buy a truck then. :grin:

DsmDriver
03-21-2006, 06:15 PM
Well, it's an up and down battle, DSM . . . sometimes we make money, sometimes we lose money. I still love it though, even when it comes out of my pocket. There's nothing quite like seeing a bunch of huge grins, knowing that you just supplied an opportunity for folks to become better drivers while having a blast at it. :) And my real job involves driving, too -- I am a service writer for a local (HUGE) auto auction, part of which requires me to take the cars onto a test track. Sometimes the cars are nasty (usually the repos), but then there's that occasional Porsche Carrera, or the Lotus Elise, or a really clean Acura. Not many Evos, dang it. I still have not driven one of those! Richard? Percy? Can I borrow the keys? Yeah, RIGHT! Lol. ;)

BW

You can drive mine. I need the lessons anyway. And i guess its always best to learn from the pros. And see what my car can really do.

Richard EVO
03-21-2006, 06:34 PM
Bonni -

I have had a couple of bad experiences letting instructors or event organizers drive my EVO.* Aaron Bitterman, co-owner of Speed Ventures, who has an '03 EVO VIII (with ABS) drove my EVO at Buttonwillow.* He is used to late braking.* He forgot the RS has no ABS.* He locked up the brakes at the end of the front straight going into the "Sunrise" turn (CW) and a big cloud of tire smoke went up.* He flat spotted them and got black flagged at his own event.* Fortunately the tires were ready to be replaced anyway. I heard the start/finish marshall on the radio saying "that's not the guy who usually drives that car . . ."* lol* :uglystupid2:

I went to "The Next Level" driving school at Reno-Fernley, which was a great experience, except the instructor E.T. spun my EVO into the dirt coming out of the last turn onto the front straight (old config.) with me in the passenger seat.* At least she is better at controlling spins than I am.

All that said, I might let you drive in exchange for a driving lesson too.* :coolsmiley:

hagakure
03-21-2006, 06:48 PM
Once I have a truck I'm not registering the Evo anymore. I don't like driving it on the street. Once it has a full cage vs. the rollbar it has now, and a fire system..it's a race car. Loud, uncomfortable, and ugly. I love the Evo as a tool, love it. But I never drive it on the road. I'm planning on purchasing a clean E-30 M3 i the next year as a daily driver, and We have a few other cars as well....so, I'm cool with the relative hassle of towing. Not to mention, if the car breaks down 300 miles from home, I've got a way to get home.

Hey Bonnie....

Percy

I like driving my car to the track. You will need to buy and truck and trailer. You need to insure the truck (this is a wash if you are taking the EVO off the street and don't have to insure it anymore, but I don't know if you are doing that). Then you have to attach the trailer to the truck and load up the car the night before the event. If you don't have someone to help you, this is even more of a pain in the ass. Then you have to drive to the event at truck/trailer speeds. Then you have to stay at a hotel and park the damn truck/trailer. Then you have to get to the event early and unload the car. Then at the end of the day you have to do it all in reverse. Plus you have to find a place to park the truck and trailer when you are home.

I just get in my car an hour and a half before the gates open at Willow Springs and drive up there. Plenty of room for extra wheels and tools in an EVO.

Richard EVO
03-21-2006, 07:03 PM
Percy -

I bet you end up tracking the E30 M3 too. :D

Bonster
03-21-2006, 07:52 PM
Richard -- I never, EVER have driven another person's car even close to what I would if it were my own. There is absolutely NO excuse for an instructor, advanced driver, whatever . . . to spin your car, mess up on braking, etc. The first thing you should do in a new to you car is check on the brakes -- how well do they respond and how much friction is there? Next, you check out how the car reacts under load conditions -- not everybody has a perfectly balanced, freshly aligned car, and not everybody has spent the money on suspension mods. Next, I feel out the car for its natural shifting and acceleration points. Then if and only if the owner of the car wants to see a small amount of dancing, I might oblige IF I truly feel that the car is up to it. However, do not kid yourself -- I would never take your car any faster than you likely can. I know how it feels to be in that pax seat with someone you barely know flogging the daylights out of it. I'd love to own an Evo -- but not a wrecked one. So no worries with me . . . I will be very gentle with your baby. I'll leave it up to you to give it a hard core run. But yes, I'd be glad to give you all a lesson if possible. :) Just don't expect me to demand the same from your car as I could in mine. You are the one who knows that car the best . . . all I can do is help you to improve.

And DSM . . . pro? Nah . . . pros are folks like Schumacher and Newman and Earnhardt. I'm just an avid amateur racer. And besides, I won't be 'racing' your car -- just perhaps putting a new light on how to drive it better. And believe you me, the better you get, the faster you get to go. It is truly one of the best feelings in the world!!!

Bonster
03-21-2006, 07:59 PM
A quick PS on Richard's post . . . I know ET from Spec Miata racing. I won't post anything negative, as that would not be prudent. However, I am sorry that she did not understand that there is an invariable difference between a fully prepared SM racecar and an AWD (right?) street car with mods minor relatively speaking. I am really sorry that she must have worried you like that. The only way I'd spin your car would be if there were a mechanical failure (flat tire, etc) or perhaps suddent track debris (oil, etc.). I am proud to say that I have NEVER spun anyone's car buy my own -- nor have I ever taken one off track, etc.. ET and the lot should calm it down a bit when in a new car. But in her defense, I don't think she has driven a whole lot of different cars. I had to literally force myself to start taking folks up on offers to drive their cars. I have learned so much from that experience!!! Not just about how to drive, but what to expect, and how to coach folks from the right seat. I look forward to getting some Evo time in, finally! Just do one thing . . . never, EVER tell a racecar driver to 'go faster.' Ya just might get your wish. Lol. ;)

BW

hagakure
03-22-2006, 10:14 AM
:)

Nah......that's one one of those deals with my wife..ONE track car at a time!

Percy -

I bet you end up tracking the E30 M3 too. :D

Miss Evo8
03-22-2006, 10:33 AM
Hey Bonnie....

Percy

That's why I bought the Raider! To tow my Evo! Do you have a trailer?

Evo RS-T
03-22-2006, 12:06 PM

You're getting quite serious now, aren't you?!

hagakure
03-22-2006, 02:45 PM
Not yet,

But will be shopping for a cheap one soon.

Hey Bonnie....

Percy

E30Alex
04-03-2006, 04:00 PM
Are there 6 entrys already for the $175 deal?

Bonster
04-03-2006, 04:57 PM
Actually, E30Alex, there have not been any entries to date for Evos.* But there's still plenty of time!* :)* I'll extend the late fee date until April 15th for the Evo crowd.* I'm just *that* cool.* Lol.

BW

E30Alex
04-03-2006, 09:20 PM
Actually, E30Alex, there have not been any entries to date for Evos.* But there's still plenty of time!* :)* I'll extend the late fee date until April 15th for the Evo crowd.* I'm just *that* cool.* Lol.

BW

I actually don't own an Evo (it's a slow BMW). But I will try and convince some people I know to sign up so we can get a good deal.

I'm still trying to decide between this event and the gglotus event on the previous thursday, though.

Richard EVO
04-03-2006, 09:48 PM
Bonni -

Forgive me, but it has become my normal practice not to sign up for track events until the last minute.* In the winter and early spring this is largely necessitated by the desire to avoid rain.* In late May at Buttonwillow, there is virtually no chance of rain, but there are other considerations.* I run a lot of events, so putting out money for several events a couple of months in advance is expensive.* Plus, my work schedule is somewhat unpredictable, so for weekday events, I usually don't know until the week of the event if I can actually get the day off.* Finally, my EVO has had it's mechanical difficulties lately, so there is no telling if the car will be running the day of the event, especially considering how busy my mechanic is with his racing program.

All that said, I guess I might be stuck paying the late fee.* How much is that?* :-(

Bonster
04-04-2006, 08:38 AM
The late fee is 40 bucks . . . but it doesn't mean I *have* to charge it. :) When I was trying to figure out what to charge, given the risks of putting on track days (where you can lose a LOT of money fast), a friend told me, "You can always bring the price down, but you can't bring it up, so choose a price that's higher than you'll likely need." You already told me about your situation on the NorCal list, Richard . . . don't worry about the late fee. In fact . . . anyone here that wants to sign up . . . don't worry about the late fee until more like say . . . April 25th. It's just a way to try and get the event to fill in advance. There's nothing quite so irritating as phone calls at ten o'clock at night the Monday or so before an event, with someone trying to figure out a way to get in. :p Lol.

BW

Bonster
04-04-2006, 08:41 AM
I actually don't own an Evo (it's a slow BMW).

***I kinda figured that with your nick, Alex. Not about the Bimmer being slow, but about the engine designation. I'm sure you'd like it to be E36 eh? Lol. Anyway, same deal applies whether you have an Evo or not, no worries.

BW

Richard EVO
04-04-2006, 09:32 AM
There's nothing quite so irritating as phone calls at ten o'clock at night the Monday or so before an event, with someone trying to figure out a way to get in. :p Lol.

BW

That's funny. Other event organizers I know are delirious when unexpected drivers show up with $$$ in hand the morning of the event -- especially when the walk ups make the difference between making and losing money.

Bonster
04-04-2006, 11:02 AM
The problem with folks showing up at the last minute like that is that I order lunches in advance, and we also supply snacks and beverages. It's usually not a problem, but it is irritating when you have already filled the event and the phone won't stop ringing. :)

BW

Bonster
04-04-2006, 11:10 AM
And actually, Richard -- yes, I would be jumping up and down in delirium if folks would have showed up at the last minute on events I lost money at. ;)

BW

Richard EVO
04-04-2006, 01:40 PM
The problem with folks showing up at the last minute like that is that I order lunches in advance, and we also supply snacks and beverages. It's usually not a problem, but it is irritating when you have already filled the event and the phone won't stop ringing. :)

BW

Walk ups get what they get. If there's not enough lunch (or t-shirts for events that give those away) that's just too bad and I think walk ups understand that. I think you do more advance planning for the NorCal tracks because the events tend to sell out, whereas with the SoCal tracks (excluding Cal Speedway Roval) there is usually room at the last minute.

Bonster
04-04-2006, 02:42 PM
whereas with the SoCal tracks (excluding Cal Speedway Roval) there is usually room at the last minute.

***Oh great!* Now you tell me.* ;)* Well, I hope we get at least our minimum to cover the event.* So far, it's looking like we are going to have a very healthy turn-out.* The Reno-Fernley weekend event in August should be huge -- we are going to allow a few more drivers than normal, since it will be a four-mile course.* Dang . . . that's going to be incredible!* I get to instruct for the Cobra club next month there . . . can't wait to see the new course!

BW

Richard EVO
04-04-2006, 04:53 PM
whereas with the SoCal tracks (excluding Cal Speedway Roval) there is usually room at the last minute.

***Oh great! Now you tell me. ;) Well, I hope we get at least our minimum to cover the event. So far, it's looking like we are going to have a very healthy turn-out. The Reno-Fernley weekend event in August should be huge -- we are going to allow a few more drivers than normal, since it will be a four-mile course. Dang . . . that's going to be incredible! I get to instruct for the Cobra club next month there . . . can't wait to see the new course!

BW

I am very likely to attend the Reno-Fernley event in August. I have been itching to get back there since they opened the extension. The 4 mile track is supposed to be terrific. What are the dates and the cost? You defintely can put more cars on a 4 mile track. Probably need to try to space them out at the start, although that tends not to last very long with the variety of speeds . . .

Bonster
04-04-2006, 06:08 PM
RFR event will be on August 26-27th. Cost will be $190/day, or $350 for both days. We're going to have to do some kind of sighting laps each morning, as most folks will have never even seen the track yet. Hopefully I'll get a good idea of it next month. They were supposed to have some of us out there already, to make up a track tutorial -- never heard anything back though. Boogers.

BW

Richard EVO
04-04-2006, 06:46 PM
RFR event will be on August 26-27th. Cost will be $190/day, or $350 for both days. We're going to have to do some kind of sighting laps each morning, as most folks will have never even seen the track yet. Hopefully I'll get a good idea of it next month. They were supposed to have some of us out there already, to make up a track tutorial -- never heard anything back though. Boogers.

BW

It's always fun when the instructors have never driven the track before.* That's what happened at the Racer Factory event on the new 3.1 mile track at Spring Mtn. in Pahrump, NV last fall.* The instructors got 20 minutes to learn the new track before the event started. :D

Bonster
04-04-2006, 07:38 PM
Yup, we will have to do the same thing with out instructors. And a four-mile track is going to be hard to learn in just one session, then go out and teach it. I still remember my first trip to Sears Point . . . I had never been there yet but had two students to take care of. Quite the experience!

BW

Richard EVO
05-01-2006, 06:07 AM
OK, time to get serious about this event. It's on Friday, May 26. Running config. #1 counter-clockwise (I think), which is a blast. There will probably be only about 40 cars, so you should get tons of track time. Let's fill this thing with EVOs. :D

Bonster
05-01-2006, 05:39 PM
Yes, please bring more Evos!!! I probably won't get to bring my racecar down there -- (a) cut a tire in practice last Friday, and can't afford new tires right now and (b) also can't afford transport rental at this time. All my money is being dumped into this event (wahhh!) -- remember, I never use the "c" (cancel) word. ;) So if nothing else, I at least want a ride-along with some Evo drivers. :D

BW

Richard EVO
05-18-2006, 10:42 AM
OK, the event is almost upon us. Let's get some EVOs signed up so we can go out and DOMINATE. :mitsu:

Bonster
05-18-2006, 04:37 PM
Yeah, really Richard! You know, this has got to be the first ever event we've put on where there are no Evos. I guess they are all up at Thunderhill that day / weekend? Oh, well. More fun for us. :D

BW

Richard EVO
05-21-2006, 09:58 AM
W00t! Looks like I will be able to make it ot Buttonwillow on May 26. Mike Welch at Road Race Engineering thinks he has found the source of my tuning problem, and the car should be back and running right my Monday or Tuesday. I made it a condition of starting my new job this Monday (May 22) that I had already planned a 4-day weekend for Memorial Day, including Friday. That's track dedication -- taking a day of to go to the track in the first week of a new jobl. O0

bonni -

I'm not gonna sign up until I am absolutely sure the car is running right, so I might just show up Friday morning with cash.

Bonster
05-21-2006, 12:55 PM
Hey, guess what Richard? Looks like there will be a couple of Evos after all. One guy broke his Eclipse so is bringing an '05, and another guy just signed up in B group with an Evo, as well. So at least we'll have a couple. I was wondering what the world had come to when Evos don't come to the track!

As far as the money thing . . . no problem, I just wish you hadn't announced to the list that I'll be carrying cash around. Lol.

BW

4G63 FEVER
05-21-2006, 09:05 PM
Hey, guess what Richard? Looks like there will be a couple of Evos after all. One guy broke his Eclipse so is bringing an '05, and another guy just signed up in B group with an Evo, as well. So at least we'll have a couple. I was wondering what the world had come to when Evos don't come to the track!

As far as the money thing . . . no problem, I just wish you hadn't announced to the list that I'll be carrying cash around. Lol.

BW

That would be I in the B group. Looks to be a first class event! Look forward to seeing you there Rich.

Bonster
05-21-2006, 09:18 PM
Look forward to meeting you, Scott. This rain is going to stop, right?!? Where'd this stuff come from?!? Anyway . . . I hope RichardEvo can make it . . . that would make THREE Evos at the event. Cool!!!

BW

PS -- what's with this karma thingee in our avatar area? When did that start and what is it?

4G63 FEVER
05-22-2006, 10:37 AM
Look forward to meeting you, Scott.* This rain is going to stop, right?!?* Where'd this stuff come from?!?* Anyway . . . I hope RichardEvo can make it . . . that would make THREE Evos at the event.* Cool!!!

BW

PS -- what's with this karma thingee in our avatar area?* When did that start and what is it?

As far as I know it's just something for fun type of thing. Sure doesn't reflect anything other than that. Basically a swipe or compliment type of thing.

If you were addressing the post above I'm Mike BTW. Anyhow I'll leave you a good karma to get things started.

Richard EVO
05-25-2006, 03:23 PM
I'm leaving for Buttonwillow from my office in downtown L.A. after the rush hour traffic dies down tonight. Who else is going? :mitsu:

Eclipse
05-25-2006, 06:47 PM
I am. I'm Scott the driver mentioned above by Bonnie. I post on norcalevo but I live on the CenCal Coast.

I talked the parts manager from my local stealership into ordering for me like I had a wholesale account and the parts got overnighted. It's fixed and I'm going back for round two tomorrow. That way I don't have to drive the daily driver. Mixed bag there I guess.

Forecast is only for a high of 83-84F. So my Eclipse should handle the temps a little better than when I got a oil leak last week at BW. Last week it was 100 deg. air temp.

See you there Richard.

Richard EVO
05-25-2006, 10:22 PM
I got a really cool new blackberry from my new employer and that's what I'm using to post

Tomorrow at BW is gonna be awesome!

ChrisF
05-26-2006, 09:45 PM
See you at WSIR tomorrow!

Richard EVO
05-27-2006, 01:45 PM
Thanks for a great event at Buttonwillow with T.E.A.M. Racing on May 26, Bonni!!! :coolsmiley: It was great to meet you, Tam, and some of the other NorCal peeps.

I got EIGHT 20-minute sessions, which was enough for me. I ran 7 sessions in the Advanced group and was consistently the fastest car out there, plus one session helping a young lady driving a Mini Cooper S in Intermediate. I didn't get passed once the entire day. A lot of that is attributable to the group's members being mostly from NorCal and not knowing the track very well, since this it is unusual for me to be the fastest driver out there. It is also attributable to the fact that many of the cars were Miatas with 150 hp or less, which aren't much of a match for a 400 hp Muellerized EVO. :2funny:

A good time was had by all (except for the guy in the purple Honda that hit the tire wall). :buck2:

I found out at the end of the day when I went to change back to my street wheels/tires that I had a broken wheel stud and couldn't get one of the wheels off the car. I had to wait until Saturday morning when the 7s Only shop opened up at Buttonwillow to get it fixed. Tom and his mechanics were great, the repair was cheap and didn't take long. I learned from experience always to carry a couple of extra wheel studs and lug nuts.

So I had to miss my planned Saturday on the Big Track at Willow Springs with TCRA, but I will be there Sunday instead. I saw the schedule and it looks like track time will be meager. It looks a lot like a NASA event with 47 race groups spending 30 seconds each on track. Oh well, it's paid for, so I guess I'll just go out and have as much fun as I can spending most of my day in the paddock.

I didn't get in to the Digital Racer event at Streets of Willow on Monday (Memorial Day) because it's full. So 2 days on the track out of my 4 day weekend isn't so bad . . . :D

ChrisF
05-27-2006, 05:06 PM
Richard:* sorry to hear about the wheel stud.* Just got home from the TCRA event and my first time at WSIR.* Man is that a whole different world than any of the other local tracks.* The event was very well run, but you're right - the amount of track time is not as great as with say Redline or Speedventures.* In spite of that, the event was a lot of fun and there were a lot more people at this event in my age range ;)* I spent most of the day learning the track and pushing a little harder every time.* I know I have a long way to go and lots of seconds to take off my time.* Sorry you couldn't get into the Digital racer event.

Senshi
05-27-2006, 05:49 PM
richard what turbo are you running in your car now, i would love to do another event with you so i could have another fast evo to r
run with.

Richard EVO
05-27-2006, 07:37 PM
senshi -

My white bunny turbo gave up the ghost, so I am temorarily running on a stock turbo until I go BIGGER very soon. 400 hp is probably an overstatement right now, I forgot about the recent turbo swap.

Bonster
05-28-2006, 05:58 PM
Hey everybody!!! I'm glad that you all had a good time, despite the poor track management and flagger problem. ;) THANKS SO MUCH Richard for helping the Mini Cooper gal out. I could tell she had some pretty serious experience, but she just wasn't getting that Star Mazda turn. Heck, I nearly lost control of the Lotus Elise in that same turn while experimenting with the new set up (no, I don't own an Elise . . . the owner of the car just knows and trusts me a LOT). I agree, being in that car and all, the Miatas were easy to pass, even with my little amount of time on BW.

Anyway . . . glad to hear you did get your wheel fixed, Richard, and I am SO GLAD I saw you later so that I didn't have to mail your transponder back to you. ;)

We will probably run an annual event at Buttonwillow now, so I hope to see more of you out there next year (and this year if I can get my racecar down there).

BW

Eclipse
05-28-2006, 06:15 PM
We will probably run an annual event at Buttonwillow now, so I hope to see more of you out there next year (and this year if I can get my racecar down there).

BW

I'm glad it worked out attendance wise. You can count on me being there in spring or fall, in one car or another. Thanks for letting me bump up to advanced. There were two drivers that would not give point bys and few that were slow to do so and it would get stacked up.

Scott