PDA

View Full Version : Regarding Ref Station comrades, will I make it under 93 decibels?

andykin
03-28-2006, 08:02 PM
Will I make it under 93 decibels? Got a fix-it ticket for "LOUD EXHAUST"

Currently on my car:

Apex'i Gt spec exhaust with resonator inside now
Stock cat
Stock downpipe
Apex'i Intake
Rest is stock.

Sad thing is I was minding my own business when I got rolled by a rookie cop too. Been 5 months since I got it, finally have time to go fix it. Police station told me they don't have a thing to test so they sent me to CHP, CHP guy was cool, told me it was quiet but I need to schedule appointment with Ref... My meeting will be Thursday at ref station.

Will be a hassle for me to put stock exhaust back on unless I will pass like this. Before the resonator sounded like crap so I took it off, probably why I got the fix-it ticket in the first place. I finally put it back on with the little yellow rubber piece facing inside my exhaust, metal resonator part facing outward. Seems more quiet... Anyone pass with this setup?

Thanks!

Also, I have a friend who works at a audio place with a decibel reader, can I check there? How close should we hold it to my exhaust?

airforce1
03-28-2006, 08:21 PM
you should do a search on exhaust and ref thread. I posted what the exact setup with with a decibel meter at a ref station. Other than that, it's hard to say.

Skiracer
03-28-2006, 08:23 PM
You don't want CHP to test your car cuz they are known to *check for "other" mods. *This is from a manager at a Ref station. *Also, your car passes if its below 95db's.

rino
03-28-2006, 08:49 PM
When I went to the CHP to get something else checked off I rolled up in there with my silencer and they didn't harass me at all. The silencer made my helix exhaust even quieter than stock

airforce1
03-28-2006, 10:42 PM
here was my post on the specifications:

"For those wondering how the dB test is administered, the soundmeter is placed 20" away from the exhaust pointed at a 45 degree laterally (mic is to the right of the exhaust), and 8" off the ground.* For the '04 Evo, dB is measured at 4650 RPM.* I drove into the shop wearing the silencer but now that I know the dB measurement test procedure, I think I might just buy a radioshack soundmeter and see if my ultraloud Helix will pass the test"

Thread is here:

http://www.socalevo.net/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=26&topic=9009.0