PDA

View Full Version : front plates

4evoblue
03-30-2006, 01:05 AM
just curious and not sure if this ha been discussed before but... i know a lot of evos roll without front plates... now the question is... what if you have your plates on your dash/windshield facing outside... would that still be considered an offense?.... just curious...

CubanEvo
03-30-2006, 01:18 AM
not having ur plate actually mounted to your front bumper is a violation. Its really stupid yes and barely n e body obey's that law cause it makes the evo look akward but its true. Most cops dont care just dont be an asshole and hope they arent bored lol

4evoblue
03-30-2006, 01:20 AM
yeah i know... i was just curious to see if it would still be an issue since the plates would still be in plain view... but i do know a lot of other(non evo) cars with no front plates as well

inline4g63
03-30-2006, 01:44 AM
i got ticketed for no froint plante enev though I had it on my dash

4evoblue
03-30-2006, 02:04 AM
how much did it cost ya?

apexstrafer
03-30-2006, 12:00 PM
should be only a $10 fix-it ticket.

be nice to the cop when he pulls you over for it. be sure to explain that you're waiting for the plate mounting bracket to come in at the dealer and that you've been hounding them for it and it should be in soon. then be sure to ask, "how long do I have to get the bracket put on and get this signed off at the station"? otherwise they might not check off the "correctible violation" box on the ticket and you could end up with a $114 non-correctible fine.

or, just run the front plate. but gotdamn, it's ugly.......

ebevo
03-30-2006, 12:09 PM
for some reason the front bracket attracts more attention to the car

it's in an odd location and grabs attention to that area...then next thing you focus on is the FMIC

that's the last thing i want :buck2:

GOOSE_Ej
03-30-2006, 12:20 PM
ya i got a ticket for no front plates its $10 fix it :)

4evoblue
03-30-2006, 12:24 PM
is it ok to ust pay it and not worry about it or do you still need to report the car that its been fixed... or will it cause issues ith registration

The Emperor
03-30-2006, 12:27 PM
yea i paid $10 at the riverside court house.

i told the cop that i had no holes. and he was trying to look for them..but he just said..just get it fixed. hahah

i guess it looks pretty "JDM" with the license plate.

apexstrafer
03-30-2006, 12:29 PM
you need to go to a chp station and show them that you "fixed it" (use some double-sided tape and slap it on your bumper when you go) and they'll sign it off. then you can send the court a copy of the signed-off ticket and a check for $10 and you're done.

GOOSE_Ej
03-30-2006, 12:57 PM
is it ok to ust pay it and not worry about it or do you still need to report the car that its been fixed... or will it cause issues ith registration

u need to ttake the car is and have it looked by a ref then he signs it off and u give him $10 and ur on ur way when u get home take the plates off..

GOOSE_Ej
03-30-2006, 01:32 PM
Im getting mine fixed today.. I have an 05' so i dont have to drill any holes.. well i didnt... O0 i think it looks pretty good also

Macky
03-30-2006, 04:40 PM

having it on the dash is not considered legal. i believe some of the reasons are:

- if its on the dash, the windshield may reflect the flash from red light cameras
- cops usually use something reflective on the front of the oncoming car to bounce laser off of (i.e. license plate) when they light you up. this i believe is a good reason why they would want you to have a front plate, other than the fact that it is by law required for you to have a front license plate.

Richard EVO
03-30-2006, 05:09 PM
I drove without a front license plate on lots of cars for about 30 years, but now the stupid authorities have beaten me into submission and I have front license plates on both cars. The only reason they care is that they need a front license plate to get a pic of your face and your plate from a red light camera.

In L.A. it is a $25 fine, or $10 if you show proof of correction. But the 5th violation is a misdemeanor, I have been told. They enforce it here, and it gives a cop an excuse to pull you over. If you want to avoid a cop snooping around your modified EVO, just put the damn license plate on.

I work in downtown L.A. and often have dinner in Little Tokyo. I got 2 front plate tickets on different cars in a short period when parked on the street in Little Tokyo. It's B.S., but you can't fight city hall.

I even had a CHP stop my due to "quick acceleration" and he said, "also because you don't have a front license plate." I said "yes I do, just look." He comes back and says, "how could I have missed that?" (idiot) :uglystupid2: He didn't give me a ticket.

chrisalishuss
03-30-2006, 06:45 PM
you can get your fix it ticket written off by like anyone., and then its 10 bucks and you don't even have to really mount it. I got a ticket for exhaust and no front plate on my teg awhile back. my buddys dad used to be a cop and I had him sign it off, and then took it off the next day, and never got a ticket again. I still rock the no fronts.

Chris in SD
03-31-2006, 02:49 PM
I rolled with no front plate for the life of my Evo and I only had issues here in VA, none in CA. Like it was mentioned before, it DOES give the cops a reason to stop you and check your car out (for mods, etc.).

biggiesacks
03-31-2006, 07:56 PM
Not to mention putting the plate on your dash creats a nice thin metal flying object in an accident.

04-01-2006, 04:07 AM
Not to mention putting the plate on your dash creats a nice thin metal flying object in an accident.

I've actually heard stories of necks getting sliced open..

Chris in SD
04-01-2006, 10:54 AM

My car had the front plate on the dash with suction cups to the windshield. Even after two rolls and a half-twist, my license plate stayed in place. I have pictures to prove it...

andykin
04-01-2006, 03:54 PM
that front license plate could deflect a rock that would save you one day.

rino
04-01-2006, 06:28 PM
I'd just put it on to keep them from snooping around..

I did get pulled over once for not having a plate that's when i told her "have you checked my front bumper?" and she goes and checks it and it's there. LOL

jayvolution
04-01-2006, 08:54 PM
IMO, having the plate on your dash is pointless. if your not going to mount your plate then dont bother putting it on the dash cause it makes it even more obvious that your plate isnt properly mounted. plus a lot of ricers put there plate on the dash... no offense. :angel:

Chris in SD
04-02-2006, 08:05 AM
IMO, having the plate on your dash is pointless. if your not going to mount your plate then dont bother putting it on the dash cause it makes it even more obvious that your plate isnt properly mounted. plus a lot of ricers put there plate on the dash... no offense.* :angel:

I have actually seen front plates in windows of Evos, Vettes, Hondas, Mercedes, etc. Doesn't matter what kind of car it is... Also, I did get out of a couple tickets by having the plate, even when it wasn't mounted properly. I told the cops that I didn't have a way to mount it since my bumper wasn't stock... ;)

jayvolution
04-02-2006, 09:27 AM
I told the cops that I didn't have a way to mount it since my bumper wasn't stock... ;)

well like i said IMO.

wow in my area telling a cop something isnt stock gives them all the more reason to pop the hood or give a violation.

Gear Grinder
04-02-2006, 09:55 AM
putting my front plate on gave me the chance to drill my first hole in the car, and I liked it. since then I have drilled many more, and I still like it.
Honistly I can't see giving the police any "other" reason to pull me over.

04-02-2006, 12:53 PM

My car had the front plate on the dash with suction cups to the windshield. Even after two rolls and a half-twist, my license plate stayed in place. I have pictures to prove it...

I was referring to people that wedge their plates between the windshield and dash.

EvOchO
04-03-2006, 05:57 PM
Sorry for going off topic a little bt, but does anyhbody know where to put the license plate on the c-west front end?

SurfEvo
04-04-2006, 03:30 PM
Sorry for going off topic a little bt, but does anyhbody know where to put the license plate on the c-west front end?

In the glove box...lol

BUDLoNG
04-04-2006, 04:48 PM
i can see the plate flying off the dash in an accident and decaptiating you... or your passenger..

weeeeeee

Chris in SD
04-04-2006, 04:53 PM

My car had the front plate on the dash with suction cups to the windshield.* Even after two rolls and a half-twist, my license plate stayed in place.* I have pictures to prove it...

I guess you didn't read this... BTW, it would take a "perfect crash" for the plate to decap someone. It would be more likely if it was on the back shelf.

Stuff
04-04-2006, 05:23 PM
It would be more likely if it was on the back shelf.

Actually, if it's sitting on the dash near the passenger air bag, it can be fired pretty fast when the air bag deploys... it happened to my friend and his accord. I dunno if the plate would ever reach "decapitating" speeds but I can see it injuring someone pretty easily and causing a cut...

Chris in SD
04-04-2006, 05:26 PM
It would be more likely if it was on the back shelf.

Actually, if it's sitting on the dash near the passenger air bag, it can be fired pretty fast when the air bag deploys... it happened to my friend and his accord.* I dunno if the plate would ever reach "decapitating" speeds but I can see it injuring someone pretty easily and causing a cut...

I agree if it was near the airbag - most people jam it up by the windshield though. I don't doubt it flying around and causing cuts - I just couldn't picture it pulling a "Master of the Flying Guillotine" and chopping off heads... LOL

Stuff
04-04-2006, 05:49 PM
Oh, it was jammed up by the windshield. IIRC, it broke the windshield too... (it was a while ago, so it's all a bit fuzzy) ;)

Hehehe, "Master of the Flying Guillotine" :2funny: