PDA

View Full Version : How do you drift in "GT4"?

thugline
03-30-2006, 07:25 AM
Just like the title says^ and if you know how please let me know or teach me. THX O0

ultraflip
03-30-2006, 07:39 AM
Well, in order to help you out we need to know more about what problems you're having.. I'd try the Nismo 270R to work on technique before attempting to tune your own cars (it's a reward for getting all bronze on the IB or IA licence if I recall right). It's beautifully set up for drifting as it is, and it has more than enough power and agility. You just need to turn off all the driver aids (they'll only cause you trouble and make the car less responsive) and equip N1 or N2 tires.

A good place to learn the basics is the driving park beginner course. It has one wide corner, a tight corner and a small chicane.. You should try and learn to at least get sideways in a controlled manner here.

Some common beginner problems and possible solutions (Use the 270R to avoid confusion):

Massive understeer - Too fast and/or too late entry. Slow down before the corner and feint/flick, then countersteer immediately when the rear end starts to slide (it should). Feint is definitely the easiest way to drift in GT4, and a good way to start out.

Spinning out - Too much angle, and too much throttle. Use less right foot (you want your rear wheels to spin, but only slightly), and practice countersteering. Check out some videos and watch what the front wheels of the cars do and when.

Stalling mid drift - Same remedy as spinning out. Your angle is too high, so use less throttle, and practice countersteer.

Hope this helps, as it's the best advice I can give. Every drifter has a personal way of doing things, so it's basically down to learning "the hard way"... though we can give some pointers to help speed up the process. Make sure to describe the problems in as much detail as you can, as you face them, if you want to get constructive answers. I learned this not long ago myself, so I remember how frustrating it could be

My current settings are

410hp
Tires (f/r): S3/S3
Suspension: Semi-Racing
Spring Rate: 11.0/8.5
Ride Height: 116/116
Shock Absorbers: 8/8
Camber: 2.0/0.5
Downforce: 13/18
Driving Aids: Off

Everything else is default.

GT4 is harder to drift than GT2-3, but it's still possible.

ultraflip
03-30-2006, 07:41 AM
http://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=57146 here's a guide to getting started.
http://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=72878 this is a guide for settings that work well for a lot of different cars.

just remember drifting in GT4 is pretty difficult, so don't expect to pull 100mph huge angle drifts in the first hour of trying or you will be sadly disappointed.

ultraflip
03-30-2006, 07:43 AM
once you're good at it.. we'll get a peepz n have a drift day @ the shop... lets see what you got.. ;)

thugline
03-30-2006, 08:12 AM
:'( (Tears of Joy) THX O0 for all your input flip. I hope I can get it right!

ultraflip
03-30-2006, 08:15 AM
eh... you'll get it... i'm to the point to where i cant drive normally on gt4 anymore.. haha

nijikon5
03-31-2006, 02:43 AM
I remember in GT3 the best way to drift FR/MR cars was to power-over the car as long as it was over 300ish hp. I loved drifting 4WD in GT3.. All i did was setup a very biased brake controller setup and kamikaze braked before corners and you could sustain full out 4wd drifts with little or no countersteer. Does that trick no longer work? I haven't drifted much in GT4 but I remember this one license test with S2K on the ring and I was flat out doing power-over drifts in a stock S2K.. I believe the test was on the ring.

Terry S
03-31-2006, 11:47 AM
Easiest drifting in GT3 was using the Escudo beefed up to the full 1900hp. AWD drifting with no special technique needed. Just do the speedway course and you could drift the entire turn on both sides of the course. :D

Terry S

ultraflip
03-31-2006, 11:55 AM
I remember in GT3 the best way to drift FR/MR cars was to power-over the car as long as it was over 300ish hp. I loved drifting 4WD in GT3.. All i did was setup a very biased brake controller setup and kamikaze braked before corners and you could sustain full out 4wd drifts with little or no countersteer. Does that trick no longer work? I haven't drifted much in GT4 but I remember this one license test with S2K on the ring and I was flat out doing power-over drifts in a stock S2K.. I believe the test was on the ring.

trick no longer works... and power over drifts for a license test? o.O

DTunedEvoX
03-31-2006, 12:09 PM
Its all on the settings and how the car is set up .. then art mimics real life~ Obviously we dont have a clutch to pop, but you can break hard and turn, hit the gas and counter steer (depending on the car) then modulate with the throttle ..

I use a 86 and a FD3S Spirit R as my vehicles of choice ... Albiet its been a few months since I got some drift action going on lol

andykin
04-01-2006, 03:25 AM
fk yo couches, this game kept me up till 8am, i got so tired at 4am i played B-Spec style and watched my 500whp rip newbie courses lofosdfl

nijikon5
04-01-2006, 04:01 AM
Heh.. Yah, it was weird. I was turning the 1st corner as normal and i mashed the throttle.. no TCS/ASM on and the car just started to slide the rear out.. It felt good so I just basically powered the throttle early to rotate the car through every turn and i'd feint the little S like section.

Spaceman Spiff
06-05-2006, 12:19 PM
Easiest way to drift in GT4:
Go into the vehicle setup and select driving aids.
you will see settings labled oversteer and understeer.
max out understeer (which minimizes it), and set oversteer to a minimum. The car will now drift easily.

FaLLeNAn9eL
07-06-2006, 08:17 AM
Check out the forums ultraflip provided. Its an excellent site to learn how to drift and it also has a huge database of settings for all kinds of cars. Thats where I learned to drift on GT4. Check out my drift vid :D http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhT5HvKG0Uk

Boosted
07-06-2006, 08:43 AM
agree'd with flip use the gt forums to help you with car settingsuch as suspension, lsd, aids, transmission settings and so on.

silvery_eagle
07-06-2006, 09:04 AM
Check out the forums ultraflip provided. Its an excellent site to learn how to drift and it also has a huge database of settings for all kinds of cars. Thats where I learned to drift on GT4. Check out my drift vid :D http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhT5HvKG0Uk

oh my that's some nice drift O0

Evolution.VIII
08-28-2006, 11:07 AM
Its all about the Nismo 400R on Tsukuba Wet.

If I can ever record my replays from that circuit, I'll post them.

theycallmebruce
08-28-2006, 05:02 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46X65xqgBPQ

this is my favorite one from GT3.