PDA

View Full Version : Immigration reform in the news again...

Terry S
04-06-2006, 09:24 AM
Cliff notes for the special bus kids: The bill is probably going pass & become law. If you've been here for less than 2 years illegally, you go home and apply to come in like everyone else. 2-5 years, you go home for a few months, then get auto-citizenship to come back. 5yrs or more you dont have to go home. There's also going to be a new rule requiring that you can only hire legal workers.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/04/06/immigration.ap/index.html

Senate leaders announce bipartisan compromise on immigration
Frist: 'We've had a huge breakthrough'

Thursday, April 6, 2006; Posted: 12:06 p.m. EDT (16:06 GMT)

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Senate Republicans and Democrats closed in on a last-minute compromise Thursday on legislation opening the way to legal status and eventual citizenship for many of the 11 million immigrants living in the United States illegally.

Sen. John McCain, R-Arizona, said he had been assured President Bush supports the measure, and would publicly say so later in the day.

As outlined, the measure would provide for enhanced border security, regulate the future flow of immigrants into the United States and offer legalized status to the millions of men, women and children in the country unlawfully.

"We've had a huge breakthrough" overnight, said Majority Leader Bill Frist, R-Tennessee.

Sen. Harry Reid of Nevada, the Democratic leader, agreed, but cautioned that the agreement had not yet been sealed.

Even so, the presence of both leaders at a celebratory news conference underlined the expectation that the Senate could pass the most sweeping immigration bill in two decades, and act before leaving on a long vacation at the end of the week.

The developments marked a turnaround from Wednesday, when it appeared negotiations had faltered. The key sticking point involved the 11 million illegal immigrants in the country, and the struggle to provide them an opportunity to gain legal status without exposing lawmakers to the political charge that they were advocating amnesty for lawbreakers.

While final details were not available, in general, the compromise would require illegal immigrants who have been in the United States between two years and five years to return to their home country briefly, then re-enter as temporary workers. They could then begin a process of seeking citizenship.

Illegal immigrants here longer than five years would not be required to return home; those in the country less than two years would be required to leave without assurances of returning, and take their place in line with others seeking entry papers.

Not everyone was satisfied. A spokesman for Sen. John Cornyn said the Texas Republican was opposed to the measure. There was no immediate reaction from GOP Sens. Jon Kyl of Arizona or Jeff Sessions of Alabama, two other prominent critics of earlier proposals dealing with illegal immigrants.

Beyond the illegal immigrants, there were other thorny issues to be clarified. Senate leaders had yet to publicly unveil draft legislation to make sure that only legal workers were hired in the future, for example.

Nor was it clear what type of assurances, if any, Democrats had received from the White House and Republicans about compromise talks with the Republican-controlled House later this year. The House has approved legislation limited to border security, and while GOP leaders have signaled support for a broader measure, Democrats have expressed concern in recent days that they will be pressured to make unacceptable additional concessions to achieve a final compromise.

Absinthe
04-06-2006, 09:40 AM
f-that I emmigrated here legally it was a royal pain in the ass. For all I care send them all home give them guest worker permits and build a real wall at the bored, good for so many reason this shit pisses me off. I almost went postal the other day when they interviewed so truant kid from a local highschool who actually said:

"I dont really know what the laws about, but I know I dont want it."

Guess what if you aren't informed then you loose the right to an opinion, god ignorant shit like that pisses me off you cant even have a discussion with people like that. Thank fucking god hes to you to vote and that the gov't doesnt give a shit if every highschool kid in the country walks out becuase almost none of them can vote...

Macky
04-06-2006, 10:27 AM
f-that I emmigrated here legally it was a royal pain in the ass. For all I care send them all home give them guest worker permits and build a real wall at the bored, good for so many reason this shit pisses me off. I almost went postal the other day when they interviewed so truant kid from a local highschool who actually said:

"I dont really know what the laws about, but I know I dont want it."

Guess what if you aren't informed then you loose the right to an opinion, god ignorant shit like that pisses me off you cant even have a discussion with people like that. Thank fucking god hes to you to vote and that the gov't doesnt give a shit if every highschool kid in the country walks out becuase almost none of them can vote...

+1

send them all back. have them go through the proper procedures. my family also emmigrated here legally and we had to give up a LOT and choose to live here. those conditions they are imposing sucks donkey balls. that is just not fair for legal immigrants everywhere.

drmosh
04-06-2006, 03:38 PM
Please don't send Goku home... who will make my juice? Cut my lawns...

Terry S
04-06-2006, 03:47 PM

or sell you flowers on the freeway offramp.... lol

I need to make a Goku on the side of the freeway pic.

Terry S

Chris in SD
04-06-2006, 07:23 PM
The biggest part that fries me is when I see these protestors with Mexican flags DEMANDING that the US owes them... If they were protesting for citizenship, amnesty, whatever else and they were waving American flags, there would be a lot more sympathy for their cause. This nonsense shows them for what they truly are: disrespectful, inconsiderate, ungrateful POSes.

Macky
04-06-2006, 07:59 PM
i agree. they are waving that flag on the wrong side of the border.

GokuSSJ4
04-06-2006, 08:38 PM
Please don't send Goku home... who will make my juice?* Cut my lawns...

funny thing is that you happen to be an immigrant as well ..

drmosh
04-07-2006, 02:31 AM

funny thing is that you happen to be an immigrant as well ..

No son, my great great grandfather was Flying Bull...

x[corwyn]
04-07-2006, 04:37 AM

Yea I see that type of crap, or an unwillingness to learn how to speak English and it makes me wonder why these people came here. If they are such patriots or their language or country stay there. Bilingual is one thing...Hell even broken English is another. Its a respect issue to me, and quite frankly a lot of these immigrants are pissing on us.

Yes I am white as they come, and I can trace lineage back to a signer of the declaration of Independence, some cherokee blood and then I have some french that immigrated to Holland when that pesky french revolution hit, so maybe I am not a recent border runner, or any crazy crap like that...However I didn't exaclty have it easy, and was pretty irritated to see Affirmative Action give aways for schools, jobs, and other things while I lived out of my car or worse at times.

On the other hand I also have good friends that have immigrated here, including my girlfriend now, who has only been here 3 years and speaks English better than a lot of people than have been here most of their lives. F'n lazy to not even learn enough to get by. We spend way too damned much on ESL classes and if you go to EDD they practically give away classes. Again its respect to the people and the country you came here for an opportunity.

Oh wait I forgot, we have to cowtow to every minority group, and huggy feely issue. We wonder why kids do so poorly in school...What values do we set in them? America is the melting pot, and we do welcome immigrants. The idea though is to provide an opportunity for a better life. That means you damn well have to work for it though. It shouldn't be given away, and we shouldn't have to support them just to make a minority feel like they are in control.

GokuSSJ4
04-07-2006, 10:53 AM
]

Yea I see that type of crap, or an unwillingness to learn how to speak English and it makes me wonder why these people came here. If they are such patriots or their language or country stay there. Bilingual is one thing...Hell even broken English is another. Its a respect issue to me, and quite frankly a lot of these immigrants are pissing on us.

Yes I am white as they come, and I can trace lineage back to a signer of the declaration of Independence, some cherokee blood and then I have some french that immigrated to Holland when that pesky french revolution hit, so maybe I am not a recent border runner, or any crazy crap like that...However I didn't exaclty have it easy, and was pretty irritated to see Affirmative Action give aways for schools, jobs, and other things while I lived out of my car or worse at times.

On the other hand I also have good friends that have immigrated here, including my girlfriend now, who has only been here 3 years and speaks English better than a lot of people than have been here most of their lives. F'n lazy to not even learn enough to get by. We spend way too damned much on ESL classes and if you go to EDD they practically give away classes. Again its respect to the people and the country you came here for an opportunity.

Oh wait I forgot, we have to cowtow to every minority group, and huggy feely issue. We wonder why kids do so poorly in school...What values do we set in them? America is the melting pot, and we do welcome immigrants. The idea though is to provide an opportunity for a better life. That means you damn well have to work for it though. It shouldn't be given away, and we shouldn't have to support them just to make a minority feel like they are in control.

I agree with you!!
It's ashame that we have people living here for such amount of time and decide not to take advantage of the wonderful things this country has to offer. Instead they nagged and complain why they don't, can't or will not achieve things. We all have to try our best in order to achieve our goals in life.

drmosh
04-07-2006, 12:36 PM
I agree with you!!
It's ashame that we have people living here for such amount of time and decide not to take advantage of the wonderful things this country has to offer. Instead they nagged and complain why they don't, can't or will not achieve things. We all have to try our best in order to achieve our goals in life.

"Where the white wimmin at?"

GokuSSJ4
04-08-2006, 10:38 AM
I agree with you!!

do you mean Miss Evo8 :?

gofaster87
04-08-2006, 11:19 AM
Go back to your country and sell narjanas.

GokuSSJ4
04-08-2006, 12:22 PM
Go back to your country and sell narjanas.

are you willing to trade camels for naranjas ?

alex_alex
04-08-2006, 12:36 PM
during the walkouts, when they were blocking all this traffic, i thought about going undercover as a protest leader. I would set up the walking trail, organize all the walkouts to converge on the same path, and run the path right back to Mexico

Highrever
04-08-2006, 09:29 PM

"Wait a minute, you put rape down twice... I like rape!"