PDA

View Full Version : My Starion

Kr0nus
04-12-2006, 08:06 PM
Hey guys I used to be on here a long time ago. I was the one who helped put on the Starion Evo meet last year. I've don't a lot of work to my car since then, check it out.

Here is my new engine bay.
http://img468.imageshack.us/img468/5259/img75052ww.th.jpg (http://img468.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img75052ww.jpg)

http://img486.imageshack.us/img486/9388/hoodleft6ib.th.jpg (http://img486.imageshack.us/my.php?image=hoodleft6ib.jpg)

I kept the exterior pretty stock for the most part except for the hood and the fog light covers. I dynoed @321 HP 400 TQ. Probably not much for you guys but hey my car is 17 years old! What do you guys think?

*edit* Oh here are the specs in case you guys were wondering.

1989 Chrysler Conquest (AkA Mitsubishi Starion)

Engine: G54B 2.6 liter 4 cylinders turbocharged

Internal Engine Modifications: Marnal non-jet valve head, KDM high performance cam, stock slip rockers, Titan SCE Copper head gasket, ARP head studs, Wiesco 8.1 pistons, Race prepped bushed for floaters, ARP bolts, Cevlite bearings

External Engine Modifications: Fuel Injection Pro Hurricane 4 intake manifold, 72 lbs injectors, 6AN fitting w/Steel braided fuel lines, AeroMotive RRFPR, Walbro GSL 392 fuel pump, K&N billet fuel filter, Fuel Injection Pro stand alone fuel and ignition controller, MSD 6a ignition, Bosch Red Coil, Hybrid Mitsubishi 18g, KDM 3" intercooler chromed hard pipes, XO2 racing intercooler, Turbo XS type-H BOV, KDM 3" exhaust, 3" Catco Cat, 3" Dynomax muffler, Krankvent kit, TEP high volume oil pump, AEM UEGO Wideband O2 sensor, Autometer boost gauge, 110 amp GM alternator, HKS EVC (Gen 1) electronic boost controller, Apex-i auto timer

Driveline: Manual transmission swap, SPEC 3 Feramic clutch (non-pucked), lightened stock flywheel, Stedbani Short Shifter w/MoMo action shift knob

Body mods: 1983 Mitsubishi Starion Carbon Fiber Replica hood, smoke fog light covers, S&M Custom Hatch cover, S&M custom shift boot

Suspension: KYB struts, Factory 8" wide front 9" wide rear wheels wrapped w/ Yokohama AVS ES-100's

Brakes: Cross drilled rotors, 3SX Steel Braided brake lines, Ceramic front pads, ABS eliminated

ICE: Pioneer Premier DEH-P960MP MP3 player, JL audio TR series interior speakers, 15" Audiobahn subwoofer, Optima redtop battery (relocated), Audiobahn 1 farad capacitor, 1000 watt Kenwood amp, 500 watt Audiobahn intake amp, Beltronics RX-65 radar detector, Treo 650 TomTom GPS W/ Bluetooth receiver

Dyno: 321 RWHP, 400 FT/LBS TQ @28 PSI

Acknowledgements: Kelly AkA KDM, Scott & Ed at Fuel Injection Pro, Chris the viper guy, DC performance

ArBizZzLe
04-12-2006, 08:08 PM
Nice man!

Miss Evo8
04-12-2006, 08:09 PM
Nice car...the engine looks Pretty!

:mitsu: :mitsu: :mitsu:

DoCoMo
04-12-2006, 08:11 PM
sweet ride and those are some impressive numbers

j_nizzle
04-12-2006, 08:18 PM
very clean ride...keep it up!

EvolvedMCC
04-12-2006, 08:27 PM
classic mitsu. very clean, very nice!

javinsMR
04-12-2006, 09:52 PM
good job bro! O0

Evo8you
04-12-2006, 10:45 PM
Nice car! love that trq#

DTunedEvoX
04-12-2006, 10:52 PM
I wish I had the time and $$$ to put into a project like that. I remember the first time I got into a Starion and found out it had turbo that you can turn on and off .... that r00led ...

yooyooyoo
04-12-2006, 11:07 PM
so weird. I was talking to a guy at the gas station today who was fixing up his starion. He explained that chrysler imported and sold it under their badge, but theres a sticker on the window that says Mitsubishi Motors. Apparently the things got a 2.6L engine?

I also passed two evos in temecula on winchester today, waved to them both, and they both waved back, which is the first time I'd ever done that.

I guess it was a mitsu kinda day...

R.E.D
04-12-2006, 11:24 PM
so weird. I was talking to a guy at the gas station today who was fixing up his starion. He explained that chrysler imported and sold it under their badge, but theres a sticker on the window that says Mitsubishi Motors. Apparently the things got a 2.6L engine?

I also passed two evos in temecula on winchester today, waved to them both, and they both waved back, which is the first time I'd ever done that.

I guess it was a mitsu kinda day...

do you live around temecula? I live in Wildomar,I will have to keep an eye out for you if you do. O0

yooyooyoo
04-12-2006, 11:27 PM
Wildomar, sweet. Yeah I live in Temecula during the week. GG Evo IX.

Kr0nus
04-13-2006, 06:42 AM
I wish I had the time and $$$ to put into a project like that. I remember the first time I got into a Starion and found out it had turbo that you can turn on and off .... that r00led ...

Stock you can't turn the turbo on and off. That must have been something aftermarket. I wouldn't want to turn the turbo on and off anyway :)

Thanx everyone. A lot of time and money went into my ride. Oh, posted the specs now on the first post.

DTunedEvoX
04-13-2006, 08:32 AM
There was a button on the dash that said turbo on and off! The car was definitley stock this was in the early 90's! lol

[p]dOG.
04-13-2006, 08:39 AM
that engine bay is tits!!! makes me want to :'( very clean bro O0

Kr0nus
04-13-2006, 08:44 AM
There was a button on the dash that said turbo on and off! The car was definitley stock this was in the early 90's! lol

Well you see the stock Starion turbo setup doesn't have any kind of exhaust bypass that would bypass the turbo. That is the only way I could see turning the turbo off. I've seen a lot of Starions in my day and I've never seen such a button. If you saw a button like that it would have to be a super rare option.

DTunedEvoX
04-13-2006, 09:12 AM
How much would it be to put in a rebuilt motor into a Starion considering you can find a decent body cheap?

Kr0nus
04-13-2006, 09:15 AM
That would all depend on how good you want it to look and how well you want it to perform. What kind of numbers would you like to get? Or would you just want to do a stock rebuild?

DTunedEvoX
04-13-2006, 09:43 AM
That would all depend on how good you want it to look and how well you want it to perform. What kind of numbers would you like to get? Or would you just want to do a stock rebuild?

As far as looks go- stock is fine ... Power hmm~ Lets just say 300whp just for reference ... :D
Thoughts/Comments/Opinions? What wouldnt be the most costliest thing?

Kr0nus
04-13-2006, 10:28 AM

As far as looks go- stock is fine ... Power hmm~ Lets just say 300whp just for reference ... :D
Thoughts/Comments/Opinions? What wouldnt be the most costliest thing?

Well you have some options to look at. The stock setup on a Starion has TBI (Throttle body injection), SOHC 2 valve head, a plethora of emission control parts, and a relatively small setup. I went Multiport because it is obviously more efficient that TBI. Though just recently my tuner just hit 334 HP with a TBI setup, an extra injector and Greddy e-Manage Ultimate. I still like MPI more though. So you have the option there to either go MPI or improve the TBI setup. www.fuelinjectionpro.com has a lot of fuel options for a Starion.

For the head you are kind of screwed. You either have to source a Magna head from Australia, or get a Marnal head and port it. You are still going to be stuck with SOHC 2 valve though. HKS made a DOHC head back in the day but there are only 3 left on the planet, 2 are MIA and 1 has been in the duplication process for over a year and we are about to change fabricators.

Emission control is a big problem out here in CA (which is why I’m asking if anyone has smog hookups). To really upgrade a Starion you have to get rid of just about all of the emission equipment. The stock setup has 2 cats, a secondary air cleaner, a charcoal filter, and some other stuff. If you get a aftermarket exhaust (www.kdmperformance.com exhaust options) you have to get rid of the precat and the secondary air filter.

Wait, I’m going to stop, this is going to get really freaking long. Basically you are looking at about 4-7k (not including labor) to get 300 HP. There is a guy named Kelly who did all my work who lives in Torrance. You can get a hold of him at www.kdmperformance.com, his user name is KellyDahMan on those boards. He can help you out better than me.

DTunedEvoX
04-13-2006, 10:34 AM
Wow thanks for that input ... It actually might be something I may look to do in the VERY VERY near future ..!

Kr0nus
04-13-2006, 10:36 AM
Well let me know and I can go over other stuff in detail with you. The Starion motor is a whole different world.

DTunedEvoX
04-13-2006, 10:54 AM
Sweet I'll keep this thead, and your sn in mind!

rino
04-14-2006, 03:39 PM
crazy TQ#, must be a blast to drive

i used to go to a shop with a guy who gave customers a ride in his black starion and swing that back end out like there's no tomorrow

Kr0nus
04-14-2006, 05:54 PM
crazy TQ#, must be a blast to drive

i used to go to a shop with a guy who gave customers a ride in his black starion and swing that back end out like there's no tomorrow

Yeah it is fun, but I've burned through a tranny already and this one is starting to smell when I hit 25 PSI. God I hate the smell of transmission fluid. It haunts me in my dreams..... I'm going to get a T56 transmission one of these days......

Timujin
04-14-2006, 07:49 PM
NICE!

I still like those cars.

It's too bad the public doesn't know how to treat a turbo, or there would be more around today.

Kr0nus
04-14-2006, 09:06 PM
NICE!

I still like those cars.

It's too bad the public doesn't know how to treat a turbo, or their would be more around today.

I don't think anyone has ever said something so true in the entire history of man......