PDA

View Full Version : POLL: All EVO Event at Big Willow???

Richard EVO
04-14-2006, 02:28 PM
I would like to put together an event for EVOs on the big track at Willow Springs (not Streets).* I don't think it's feasible to get 60 EVOs and rent the whole track by ourselves, so I'd like to go with an established track organizer that would dedicate one of its 3 run groups to EVOs only, which would be limited to 20 cars.* You would get at least FIVE 30-minute run sessions, and maybe more as the track empties out later in the afternoon.* Cost would be around $150.* Lunch and an event t-shirt would be included in the price.

I'm not trying to make any money, I just want to get a bunch of EVOs out on "the fastest road in the west" for some big fun.* I think the event would have to run mid-week, so you'd need to take a day off work.* The event would probably be in mid-October, so the risk of rain would be very low.* Let me know if you think you would attend.* This is just in the early planning stage now.* Thanks.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v79/richard350z/BigWillowMapwebsize.gif

4G63 FEVER
04-14-2006, 02:36 PM
I checked get back to work! O0* Seriously I'm down for that no wussy boy here! :twisted: Like to see how I can hang with the rest.

Who are you trying to get to do it Richard? Just curious.

Richard EVO
04-14-2006, 03:12 PM
I confirmed with the event organizer that we can have our own run group if we get 20 cars to come out.* The date would be Wednesday, October 11, 2006.

I'm not really going to shut up, so there's no point in checking that option.* :D

One other thing -- the event would be primarily for intermediate and advanced levels of driving skill.* It's not safe to put newbies on the track with faster drivers, and there would only be one run group for the EVOs.* Also, Big Willow is probably not your best choice of track for your first road course event.* However, if you are a track newbie and you really wanted to go to this event, you could take the short class session in the morning and then run with the other newbies in the "yellow" group -- you'd be on track with other kinds of cars, but not Fangio.* You'd still be part of the EVO paddock shenanigans when the "red" (intermediate/advanced non-EVO) group is on track and at lunchtime.* :2funny:

Mister
04-17-2006, 07:23 AM
What are the possibilities of an event that falls on a weekend? Weekdays are a pain to make available for those that work....

WavMixer
04-17-2006, 08:31 AM
Count me in Richard. O0

Richard EVO
04-17-2006, 08:50 AM
Count me in Richard. O0

Cool. Did you vote? Thanks.

WavMixer
04-17-2006, 09:13 AM
Yup.

Richard EVO
04-17-2006, 11:53 AM
What are the possibilities of an event that falls on a weekend? Weekdays are a pain to make available for those that work....

Anything is possible, but the group that I contacted about this, and that has a run group available for us, always runs mid-week at Big Willow. I have run with this group several times before. The events are laid back with lots of track time and no hassles or stupid rules. I could try contacting another event organizer, but it won't be nearly as easy as this has been so far. I think the track is pretty much rented out to somebody every weekend for the rest of the year, so we would have to work with another event organizer that already has Big Willow weekend dates.

Mister
04-17-2006, 12:22 PM
^ Gotcha.....thanks!

I guess my stomach will be hurting that day at work! :knuppel2:

yooyooyoo
04-17-2006, 08:24 PM
A few notes:

1. Oct. is really far out.
2. This track is super fast.

MyGlue
04-17-2006, 08:33 PM
Big willow is fun. The only scary parts of this track are turn 8 and 9. Its bumpy at the entrance and through 8 and then it changes diameter at the end at 9. There are almost always tire marks of where people have gone off. There's a known line where u can avoid most of the bumps. Just ask around and the more experienced guys can tell you. Oct is pretty far out and being in the middle of the week is a bit rough. But sounds like fun. I'll have to keep this in mind.

Oh, i wanted to ask about other cars too. Can non-evo's partake? Will there be a group of all cars? My track group is a hodge podge of vehicles and i would like to harass them around the track. Includes Lunch?

WavMixer
04-17-2006, 08:35 PM
A few notes:

1.* Oct. is really far out.
2.* This track is super fast.

True, but October usually produces good turbo weather up here and I bought my Evo so I could go fast. Just to be safe, I don't go over 140 on Big Willow. O0

Richard EVO
04-17-2006, 11:00 PM
A few notes:

True, but October usually produces good turbo weather up here and I bought my Evo so I could go fast. Just to be safe, I don't go over 140 on Big Willow. O0

Wav -

Now let's not exaggerate.* I ran 1:37.3 at Big Willow last week and I didn't come close to 140.* Viper Comp Coupes might do 145 on the front straight, EVOs don't.* Maybe on the long straight on the Cal Speedway ROVAL you hit 140 in an EVO.* Not at Big Willow.

One of the keys to going fast on the big track is going flat out in 5th gear thru turn 8.* Real pucker factor stuff.

Oct. is a long way off.* That gives me time to arrange the event.* I'm not asking anyone to commit now.* Just want to know if you have serious interest.

Evo8supercar
04-17-2006, 11:46 PM
148 MPH on my RS 2.4 with only 580WHP L.O.L

C-Spec
04-17-2006, 11:52 PM

yeah that's when your evo blew up too remember?? :2funny: when are you going to come by the shop "project gen" again?

Richard EVO
04-18-2006, 05:57 AM

Wav doesn't have 580 whp, and neither do I. :buck2:

BTW, I know telling me to shut up when you vote is funny, but I can only treat the "shut up and get back to work" votes as "No" unless you post and say you are really interested, which one "shut up" voter has already done. :idiot2:

WavMixer
04-18-2006, 08:11 AM
A few notes:

Wav -

Now let's not exaggerate.* I ran 1:37.3 at Big Willow last week and I didn't come close to 140.* Viper Comp Coupes might do 145 on the front straight, EVOs don't.* Maybe on the long straight on the Cal Speedway ROVAL you hit 140 in an EVO.* Not at Big Willow.

One of the keys to going fast on the big track is going flat out in 5th gear thru turn 8.* Real pucker factor stuff.

Oct. is a long way off.* That gives me time to arrange the event.* I'm not asking anyone to commit now.* Just want to know if you have serious interest.
Actually I was hitting aroung 135-138 on the straight. So as I said, I keep it below 140.

Richard EVO
04-18-2006, 09:03 AM
Actually, I almost never look at the speedo while on track, and above 120 mph my view of it is obscured by extra gauges mounted on the steering column, but my sense is that I am usually in the 125 - 130 mph speed range at most, just before braking for Turn 1, but since I cut some time off my laps last time out, maybe I'm going faster now. Terminal velocity on one spot on the track doesn't determine overall lap time anyway.

WavMixer
04-18-2006, 09:15 AM
I have a hard time reading the speedo too, that's why I put the heads up display in. I pretty much now my speeds around most areas of the track. The big sweeper before the straight away I was hitting 118. I'll have my camera mounted to show the HUD next time O0