PDA

View Full Version : front license law ??

cky_bam_marg
04-22-2006, 12:04 PM
ok so like as we all know it a state law to have a license plate on the front of the car. but this one guy i talked to said that there is a law that stated that if the dealership does not give u a front license plate or license plate bracet, or if ur front bumper wasnt made to have a fron license plate or license cover placed on it then you dont have to sport a license plate is this true......because 2 days ago i was forces to drill holes and place a license plate on my car for a fix-it ticket i recieved but my bumper never came with a frame or had holes drilled in it for a license plate.....so yea just wondering if i raped my bumper for no reason

DTunedEvoX
04-22-2006, 12:27 PM
Its the law ... I dont know who told you that ... Ask him the exact cite from the reg ...
If the dealership didnt give you a bracket or if your front bumper wasnt made to have a front license plate ~ Its still the law - end of story ...

So no you didnt rape your front bumper for no reason ..

gen4k20a2
04-22-2006, 04:06 PM
dealers bylaw have to give you the plate. There is something you can do about that but youll have to look it up.

Second you were dumb for drilling into your bumper....double sided tape man. DOUBLE SIDED TAPE!

cky_bam_marg
04-22-2006, 04:18 PM
dealers bylaw have to give you the plate. There is something you can do about that but youll have to look it up.

Second you were dumb for drilling into your bumper....double sided tape man. DOUBLE SIDED TAPE!

dude it wasnt me man it was the mitsu dealershit. i was planing on taking it home and puting velcro, but then they game me my car and it was all drilled and like my heart sank so idk i was thinking if one day any one might want to trade bumpers with me if they want a drilled one and ill take there non drilled one lol, but if money need be involved then damnit idk it might be worth it b/c my cold air intake sits right behind where the damn license cover is and i feel like it could be taking away a tad bit of performance from me

cky_bam_marg
04-22-2006, 04:19 PM
Its the law ... I dont know who told you that ... Ask him the exact cite from the reg ...
If the dealership didnt give you a bracket or if your front bumper wasnt made to have a front license plate ~ Its still the law - end of story ...

So no you didnt rape your front bumper for no reason ..

ok cool thanx man b/c like really i was gonna cry when i say the holes in there like no joke

but like on a flip side my mom was saying to me this mornign that the law is bullshit b/c on her mercedes and accord and her 97 eclipse she never sported a front plate and she never got flack for it. so she was upset when she found out i got a ticket for that. and on her E-500 there is no where that is pre tapped for a license plate and she has no plans on putting one so yea so yea that could seem a little like profiling but at the same time not. idk i think im just upset over my bumper im gonna go have some tea and meditate now......u know its the only thing that could take the edge once u found out ur baby has been touch the wrong way

gen4k20a2
04-22-2006, 04:25 PM
but you did rape you bumper when you could have did a jimmy rig type deal. I got my tape already bought so when i get rolled i can take care ofit

cky_bam_marg
04-22-2006, 04:38 PM
but you did rape you bumper when you could have did a jimmy rig type deal. I got my tape already bought so when i get rolled i can take care ofit

u lucky man u.....yea omfg i just realized something if i trade my bumper for a new one the new one isnt gonna have my invisible bra damnit this sucks................and omg i just realized the drilled threw the damn bra too oh shat im gonna go take a nap before i get a damn ulcer at my ripe young age

gen4k20a2
04-22-2006, 04:39 PM
tell them you didnt want them to mount it and didnt know they were going to drill. If they didnt ask you and tell you your car was going to be damaged then bitch.

cky_bam_marg
04-22-2006, 07:05 PM
tell them you didnt want them to mount it and didnt know they were going to drill. If they didnt ask you and tell you your car was going to be damaged then bitch.

well the problem with doing that is that i got my fix it ticket fot no front license plate and for modified smog and exhaust (and the dealership sold it to me with a modiefied exhaust with no cat and no front license plate cover) so i went to then to see if they could help me out with my problem becuase they sold the car to me like that, and well they gave me and installed a cat for free and gave and installed the license plate cover for free, and on monay there r gonna pay for my referee fee's (maybe to cover there own asses i really dont know) but anyway to me it would seem like im todally abusing there service that they have given me. well yea i dont really like starting shat so thats y im scared to bring that up. anywho i might bring it up to the dealershit on monday when i go there

gen4k20a2
04-22-2006, 09:54 PM
NOOOOOOO.....dont ever think that. What dealership is it? Secondly they shouldnt be selling you a car thats illegal. I dont know if thats breaking the law in itself but either way you werent informed...even if you later found out and didnt care. They drilled your bumper with out telling you. Ask them why and that if your bumper was going to be drilled you would have found a different way.

SpdyEvo02
04-22-2006, 10:25 PM
it is the law to have a front plate no matter what bumper you have... and you didn't have to drill holes in you bumper you just needed to get a 05+ front licens plate holder because those do not requires hole to be drilled...i haven't had my front plate on my car for 3 years now and have never gotten a ticket for it *knock on wood* i even got a speeding ticker and the cop didn't even mention my front plate..

cky_bam_marg
04-23-2006, 01:38 AM
well the deed is already done wat can i do and when i took a closer look i found that there is only on noticable hole from the 3 and its to the right of the intercooler. the other 2 arent noticable at all unless the car where lifted up or something. but still if i ever took it off there would still be a whole. he in the evo9's theres like a plug in the place where the hole is on my car could i use that plug to close the hole. the plug is noticable in the evo in gen4k20a2's signature area

GokuSSJ4
04-23-2006, 08:50 AM
it's just one hole that they had to drill in order to install your license plate bracket . If you didn't know how they plan on mounting the bracket, you should of ask first. HB on the 03-05 Evos has manage to place brackets without the need for drilling on the bumper, but to be quiet honest, IT IS NOT THAT BIG OF A DEAL .. besides if you plan to have your plate on, you will not notice it .

gen4k20a2
04-23-2006, 09:49 AM
ya thats true but the bumper was designed for that plug i dont know if it will fit your car. Probably should as the dealer on that cause then that would be a good fix

Miss Evo8
04-23-2006, 10:01 AM
if you're worried about a hole in your bumper you can always be ghetto and zip tie the thing to your mesh on your bumper!

cky_bam_marg
04-23-2006, 11:16 AM
if you're worried about a hole in your bumper you can always be ghetto and zip tie the thing to your mesh on your bumper!

well the hole is already there so i might keep it there, also i like to show off my IC so thats y i didnt zip tie it on there

gen4k20a2
04-23-2006, 04:21 PM
um i dont think those plugs are for license plates cause its on both sides...notiuced on my way to work this morn

DTunedEvoX
04-23-2006, 06:30 PM
We are fortunate enough to have our bumper off to the side JDM style as it is- Just leave it on ... =P

gen4k20a2
04-23-2006, 07:53 PM
very true

CICreations
04-23-2006, 08:23 PM
Now I have heard that....(and this is from the Military Police at the base I was stationed at while I was in the MC and now Im back working at that same base as a civilian DOD employee) that if your car didn't come with a front bumper with the license plate frame already molded in the bumper or a bracket already mounted that you can get away with just having the license plate in the window when the car is parked. Not while you're driving the car around for safety reasons of course. Don't know if this is true but I've been doing this in CA now for 6 years and I've never had a problem.

I did have an MP ask me the other day why I didn't just use zip ties and put it on the "black cross grill looking thing" in the middle of the bumper that was covering the "radiator". I was like....uhhhh, you mean the intercooler? They were like yea, whatever it's called. I asked if they had any idea what an intercooler was for and they gave me that deer in the headlights look. LOL BTW they drive an 06 Eclipse and also told me they had it up to 170mph the other day. lol

gen4k20a2
04-23-2006, 08:52 PM
does that thing have a hemi??? :idiot2:

roy.jovero
11-10-2006, 05:34 PM
Sorry for bumping an old topic, but what is the law exactly? Does the front plate HAVE to be attached to the bumper, or is it legit to just wedge it in the corner of the windshield? I had the front plate in the windshield on my Integra for the longest time and never got any beef for it.

thisxguy
11-10-2006, 05:37 PM
cops WILL give you shit for it being on the windshield b/c if you get into an accident it can fly and chop someones head off. you're better off not putting it anywhere. and you need it attatched to your front bumper. some people zip tie it to their bumper some drill the holes...or you can just not put it O0

roy.jovero
11-10-2006, 05:40 PM
Ehh. I'll just play it safe. Where I'm at right now, the cops don't know jack shit about cars. I mean there was this guy with an Evo VIII MR blowing off right next to a cop and the pig just rolled off. Haha. But I'll just leave it on since I'll be moving back to the Bay Area in a year or so. Thanks for the clarification.

thisxguy
11-10-2006, 05:45 PM
no problem

909Evo
11-15-2006, 05:52 PM
Yes it needs to be phsyically attached to the front of your car. The dealerships usually affix plates to avoid liablity. However if it was not affixed, or their was no mounting bracket, I can almost promise you that you singed a release of liabilty when you picked it up.

It must be on there, no ifs ands or butts.

thisxguy
11-15-2006, 05:55 PM
my friend got a ticket for having his license place on his scion xB "too low"

the cop was about to write him a ticket and my friend said "i'll move it right now" and then he busted out a screw driver and moved it. his license plate wasnt even low...but it was lower than where the dealer would place it