PDA

View Full Version : RS4 Impressions

PXEVOMR
04-30-2006, 06:02 PM
When i switched from a 97 eclipse to a evo, the shifting felt so much smoother on the evo i was shocked. Went to the Audi street of tomorrow event and got to test the RS4. I have to say.. the feel of shifting on that car is godly. There is no resistence at all, it feels completely neutral and running it through the gears was effortless. Have to say i was impressed. Also.. the clutch was really weird... it was light as a feather. I've never felt a clutch with barely any resistence before. I'm not sure if that's good or bad I'm kind of used to exerting a bit of force to move a clutch down but with the RS4 you really don't have to push down much at all.

The interior is pretty nice.. it has carbon inserts that looks like real carbon.. they might actually be carbon. I think our MR inserts are kind of tacky.

Not sure about the handling.. i got to do like a couple regular turns and 1 U turn so i can't say much of it.

From my limited time with it though.. it feels fast. Not sure if it feels that much faster than the evo... it feels kind of heavy in a way too.

However.. for 60K+ no thx.. sticking with the evo and a few mods is way more worth it. I wonder when these are going to start appear.. i'd love to try and race versus one.

;)

trinydex
04-30-2006, 06:16 PM
the clutch is typical of vws, it's what i'd refer to as a dead clutch... you can't feel shit.

smooth shifting is important... i wish the evos gear boxes were more forgiving. looks like it's motor mounts for me in my clutch install.

Chris in SD
04-30-2006, 06:40 PM
I tried to buy an RS4 out here in VA (I have a B7 S4 currently) and they wanted to give me shit for a trade-in value... My S4 is pretty quick vs. a stock Evo, so I'm sure the RS4 would lunch a stock Evo. A modded Evo is another story... My old Evo would chew up my S4 and spit it out.

Thanks for posting your observations. As for the CF, it is real. When I tried to order the RS4, I opted for the aluminum instead of CF.

kcross
05-01-2006, 04:29 AM
im impressed that depite being released 7 years or so after the e46 m3 its at best on par with it.

trinydex
05-01-2006, 07:23 AM
has the e46 been out for 7 years?

Stuff
05-01-2006, 10:09 AM
has the e46 been out for 7 years?

The e46 was first introduced in sedan form for the 99 model year. The m3 I believe started in 2001 I think?

The best thing about the RS4 that I've seen is that interior. Man is it sweet.

The worst thing is that grill. I still can't get over it.

trinydex
05-01-2006, 12:15 PM
the e46 came in a sedan???

Richard EVO
05-01-2006, 02:26 PM
I don't think the E46 M3 was ever available in the USA as a sedan.* The E36 M3 was for a year or two (I had a '95 coupe).* I had a B6 S4 and it had a really weird clutch.* I always hated that about it, plus the weight at 3800 lbs.* In addition to adding 80 hp and some other goodies to the RS4, I think they cut about 200 lbs. of it, which is a good thing.

Stuff
05-01-2006, 02:29 PM
Just to clarify: e46 is the chassis id for the 3 series from 99 to 05... so yes, the e46 has been around for 7 years (323/325/328/330), but the e46 m3 has only been around for 5, starting in 2001.

fusionchicken
05-01-2006, 03:15 PM
yea i drove my friend's new a3 6spd for a good 3 hours straight, and all the pedals in the car were so damn soft. the shifter was perfect....no resistance no matter how fast u're spinning the engine..

after driving his car and getting into my integra gsr (car back then), i felt i had to push really hard on the gas and clutch pedals to move the car....

the audi's have kick ass interior. it was so damn nice...i'd feel bad sitting in the car all wet on a rainy day :(

silvery_eagle
05-01-2006, 03:24 PM
but... isn't there a forum dedicated for cars other than evo? :D

trinydex
05-01-2006, 03:28 PM
Just to clarify: e46 is the chassis id for the 3 series from 99 to 05... so yes, the e46 has been around for 7 years (323/325/328/330), but the e46 m3 has only been around for 5, starting in 2001.
but the s4 and the rs4 don't compete with the other e46s... so it's a bit misleading to compare as such.

airforce1
05-01-2006, 04:00 PM
When i switched from a 97 eclipse to a evo, the shifting felt so much smoother on the evo i was shocked. Went to the Audi street of tomorrow event and got to test the RS4. I have to say.. the feel of shifting on that car is godly. There is no resistence at all, it feels completely neutral and running it through the gears was effortless. Have to say i was impressed. Also.. the clutch was really weird... it was light as a feather. I've never felt a clutch with barely any resistence before. I'm not sure if that's good or bad I'm kind of used to exerting a bit of force to move a clutch down but with the RS4 you really don't have to push down much at all.

The interior is pretty nice.. it has carbon inserts that looks like real carbon.. they might actually be carbon. I think our MR inserts are kind of tacky.

Not sure about the handling.. i got to do like a couple regular turns and 1 U turn so i can't say much of it.

From my limited time with it though.. it feels fast. Not sure if it feels that much faster than the evo... it feels kind of heavy in a way too.

However.. for 60K+ no thx.. sticking with the evo and a few mods is way more worth it. I wonder when these are going to start appear.. i'd love to try and race versus one.

;)

Audi didn't let you go WOT on the car?

PXEVOMR
05-01-2006, 04:11 PM
Oh yes they did... i felt bad for that car. No break-in and a whole gang of strangers doing WOT pulls from a roll to 70mph. Like i said though.. it didn't feel that much faster than my evo but I can't be certain. I looked up the 1/4 times online to verify my feeling and they're both in the 13's so.. (audi 13.2 and evo 13.5)

white power
05-16-2006, 02:44 PM
I thought this remark was cool....

"To me, the Audi RS4 is like an Evo in Armani: Intimate, pure, fast and fun, but oozing style and class as well"* quote from Conor Twomey, a Car Connection author and his final written remark the new RS4

http://www.thecarconnection.com/Vehicle_Reviews/Sports_Convertibles/2007_Audi_RS4.S184.A10414.html

Nice to know our $33-40k Evo's(w TT&L/interest) are compared to many different $65-$85k+ cars

trinydex
05-16-2006, 03:57 PM
anyone know how light you can get an rs4?

what kinda problems do they usually have?

is there a way to get rid of all the cumbersome traction control crap?

hksevo8
05-16-2006, 04:03 PM
to put it lightly.....the RS4 will out pace most EVO's. Unless your running a fully built Evo, don't mess with the new RS4. It is a really nice car.

trinydex
05-16-2006, 04:04 PM
i like the aidea of v8 awd.... i don't like the idea of heavy ass german car.

kcross
05-16-2006, 04:04 PM
not very.

electronics, four-wheel drive, engine.

no.

trinydex
05-16-2006, 05:15 PM
i'm having the hardest time deciphering that... are you on a cell phone? cuz i can't hear you now...

kcross
05-16-2006, 05:21 PM
anyone know how light you can get an rs4? not very.

what kinda problems do they usually have? electronics, four-wheel drive, engine.

is there a way to get rid of all the cumbersome traction control crap? no.

does that make it easier?

trinydex
05-16-2006, 05:36 PM
makes it easy to see that it's not a friendly car :[