PDA

View Full Version : What's a good car to start off with

ozzman628
05-02-2006, 10:45 PM
My friend, who is 21, is in the market to buy a car. He's finally is going to stop bumming rides off me and other people. He wanted to know which car is a good one to start out with, that's also around a 4,000-10,000 price range. So far I suggested a nissan 240sx, 1990's acura integra, 1st or 2nd gen eclipse, maybe even a
saturn l-series. He wants something that has potential to run strong 12 - 13 second quarter mile runs. Any suggestions?

j_nizzle
05-02-2006, 10:49 PM
the honda thing works...you can build a 10 sec track honda for about 10g's....a few older nissans you can swap the sr20det motor in as a fwd/ 1st or 2nd gen eclipse works but the mod pricing is very similar to the evo's so he might want to watch that. sw20 mr2's are fun to have. just depends on how much work he wants to get done.

x[corwyn]
05-02-2006, 10:51 PM
Yea...drive an old beater car for a while before getting a super fast car. Getting a good handling car wouldn't be bad though. An old CRX, civic, or my favorite an older VW would all be good fun cars to drive, work on, and learn from. Starting off on a 12-13 second car is a sure fire way of making sure he doesn't have a car for too long.

ozzman628
05-02-2006, 11:05 PM
]
Yea...drive an old beater car for a while before getting a super fast car. Getting a good handling car wouldn't be bad though. An old CRX, civic, or my favorite an older VW would all be good fun cars to drive, work on, and learn from. Starting off on a 12-13 second car is a sure fire way of making sure he doesn't have a car for too long.

Yeah, I agree that someone should drive a beater first. All of his friends have some sort of decently fast car, a guy with a '66 chevelle, a buddy with a srt-4, a buddy with a supra, and of course my evo. I guess he wants to eventually have a respectably fast car without having to buy another one later.

I had a friend selling a late 1980's jetta, would it have potential. I dont know much about jettas.

I also have a friend selling a 1996 honda civic for $900, but it needs a new timing belt, water pump, windows have been smashed out, hasnt been registered for a few years, hell it might have been stolen. They tried to get him to buy it, but he doesn't want a honda, he said that he doesnt want to be "one of those guys" you know, the ones with the civics that eat up vipers and evos.

Oh yeah, if he got a 1st or 2nd gen eclipse, would the stock parts from my evo fit onto his?

j_nizzle
05-02-2006, 11:07 PM
many of your evo parts would be direct fitment for a 1st/2nd gen eclipse given you find the one with the 4g63t motor...

silvery_eagle
05-02-2006, 11:26 PM
]

Yeah, I agree that someone should drive a beater first. All of his friends have some sort of decently fast car, a guy with a '66 chevelle, a buddy with a srt-4, a buddy with a supra, and of course my evo. I guess he wants to eventually have a respectably fast car without having to buy another one later.

I had a friend selling a late 1980's jetta, would it have potential. I dont know much about jettas.

I also have a friend selling a 1996 honda civic for $900, but it needs a new timing belt, water pump, windows have been smashed out, hasnt been registered for a few years, hell it might have been stolen. They tried to get him to buy it, but he doesn't want a honda, he said that he doesnt want to be "one of those guys" you know, the ones with the civics that eat up vipers and evos.

Oh yeah, if he got a 1st or 2nd gen eclipse, would the stock parts from my evo fit onto his?

start off cars... most of these you should be able to get it under $5k
some of them are a tad bit expensive to maintain etc... but these cars are great fun to drive

older Mazda Miata MX-5(90-97)
BMW 325is
Volkswagen Rabbit GTI
Mazda RX-7
Toyota MR-2
Porsche 944
Mitsu Galant VR-4
Nissan 240SX
Mustang GT 5.0
MGB

ozzman628
05-02-2006, 11:49 PM
Thanks for the replies guys, yeah half the cars you listed i wouldnt even have thought of.

C-Spec
05-02-2006, 11:51 PM
gas rpice this day, just buy something that give you really good gas mileage.

x[corwyn]
05-03-2006, 01:13 AM
]

I believe that some parts do fit on the 2nd gen eclipse. We are about to test that as well. I think even a GS-T is a bit much to start with. Maybe something lightweight and with less than 150hp..

As for Jettas, those rabbit's and scirrocos all used the same engine/transmission. Plenty of parts out there and we have the best VW mechanic in the country with Ron Wood of VW Specialties in HB.

Sam Smash
05-03-2006, 01:16 AM
I have a civic for sale and a vr4. Civic has GSR Motor with a lot of toys on it. VR4 has a boost controller and bov. Let me know if you friend is interested :)

chuckdashi
05-03-2006, 01:29 AM
I have a civic for sale and a vr4. Civic has GSR Motor with a lot of toys on it. VR4 has a boost controller and bov. Let me know if you friend is interested :)
how much for them and years?... got any pics?..

ozzman628
05-03-2006, 03:38 AM
how much for them and years?... got any pics?..

Hey hey, he offered them to me first! Ha ha J/K Ill pm you SRT

Terry S
05-03-2006, 08:56 AM
5.0 mustang & $10 grand will get you in the 12's if thats all you care about. Easy to work on too.

Terry S

Dmoney
05-03-2006, 11:23 AM
Nissan 280Z

http://www.americandreamcars.com/1977datsun280z052105.jpg

x[corwyn]
05-03-2006, 12:25 PM
Nissan 280Z

http://www.americandreamcars.com/1977datsun280z052105.jpg

Nice... I always loved those the 240z and the B210. I used to have a slot car track with race versions of those in the white red and blue scheme...

8AWD
05-03-2006, 12:55 PM
I have a 93 sw20 mr2 Turbo if he's interested. 80+k miles. White w/ gold vsxx work wheels. Let me know.

ozzman628
05-03-2006, 02:35 PM
Good stuff guys. I'll probably end up buying a car and then selling my friend my corolla.

j_nizzle
05-03-2006, 02:40 PM
I have a 93 sw20 mr2 Turbo if he's interested. 80+k miles. White w/ gold vsxx work wheels. Let me know.

price and pics?!

05-06-2006, 04:49 PM
]

start off cars... most of these you should be able to get it under $5k
some of them are a tad bit expensive to maintain etc... but these cars are great fun to drive

older Mazda Miata MX-5(90-97)
BMW 325is
Volkswagen Rabbit GTI
Mazda RX-7
Toyota MR-2
Porsche 944
Mitsu Galant VR-4
Nissan 240SX
Mustang GT 5.0
MGB

Take it from me: The 951 (944 Turbo) is NOT a car to drag race (it is not meant for it, and because of this it cannot handle it well). Also, it will cost a ton to maintain unless you can do your own work.

silvery_eagle
05-06-2006, 07:13 PM
ah.. shoot... sry didn't know the original poster is going to drag race the car...
forget all my list there...
my suggestion is all around good fun factor car :)

tabio42
05-07-2006, 11:18 AM
For all around fun, 'upgradeable' cars I agree with the Galant VR4. Also any all-trac celica is a blast (and dirt cheap). But if all he cares about is 1/4 mile times - LT1 or LS1 Camaro + $5k = 450 RWHP and 480 RWTQ :twisted: