PDA

View Full Version : Playstation 3 cost and launch date (offical)

Cr0mster
05-08-2006, 06:45 PM
Sony said today at E3 that the Playstation 3 will come in 2 setups.

Both will be launching on Nov. 17th

20 gig Hard drive = $499

60 gig Hard drive = $599

Senshi
05-08-2006, 06:50 PM
the GT HD trailer looked amazing even on the shitty stream, so did alot of the other games.

Chris in SD
05-08-2006, 06:53 PM
I can't wait, even though I will probably end up getting it in January due to the pre-Christmas madness... There might be more games then, too.

Cr0mster - Are the games going to utilize the HD enough to warrant the extra GB?

Cr0mster
05-08-2006, 06:55 PM
I can't wait, even though I will probably end up getting it in January due to the pre-Christmas madness... There might be more games then, too.

Cr0mster - Are the games going to utilize the HD enough to warrant the extra GB?

I will be getting the 60gig myself. For $100 more I think it is worth it.

Chris in SD
05-08-2006, 06:57 PM
Any word on games at launch?

Senshi
05-08-2006, 06:58 PM
yea ill prob get the 60 im sure that down the road having the extra gb is going to be worth it, what with downloads and everything. i even thing 60 is kinda small

Muramasa
05-08-2006, 07:16 PM
Which would be your preference to order one?

Gamestop or

EB Games?

or do you guys have other places you go to.

Please let me know. Thank you.

Cr0mster
05-08-2006, 07:23 PM
Any word on games at launch?

They should have a list setup soon during E3.

lagcisco
05-08-2006, 07:31 PM
wtf $600 for a console?

thats alotta money, next gen system is gonna be $1000 at this rate

Cr0mster
05-08-2006, 07:48 PM
Which would be your preference to order one?

Gamestop or

EB Games?

or do you guys have other places you go to.

Please let me know. Thank you.

Either one works. Just try to find one that doesn't force you do to a package deal with games.

Ryukyu
05-08-2006, 08:12 PM
that's Nov. 17, 2007 right? =P
I'll believe it when I see it.

Dmoney
05-09-2006, 09:37 AM
wtf $600 for a console?

Those are CRACK PRICES!! people will be sucking dick for consoles!!

Miss Evo8
05-09-2006, 09:40 AM
wtf $600 for a console?

:-o

silvery_eagle
05-09-2006, 11:23 AM
that's way too expensive.... :(
how much are the games going to be? $80 each?
damn!

R3dline
05-09-2006, 11:35 AM
Ugly prices.

gen4k20a2
05-09-2006, 11:38 AM
Sony suprised E3 attendees when it fully unveiled its launch plans and pricing details. Check out the full list of announcements here.

The PlayStation 3 will launch in Japan on 11 November, and in North America, Europe and Australisia six days later on 17 November.

There will be two bundles (or 'configs' as they called them): a 20GB version and a 60GB version. However, the differences go far deeper than that.

The 20GB config does not feature any HDMI ports. It does not support WiFi, and there is no card reader for Memory Stick, Compact Flash and SD. It has four USB ports and one ethernet port (instead of the six USB ports and three ethernet ports shown last year).

The 60GB config has one HDMI port (instead of the two shown last year), it supports WiFi and has a card reader, and also features the four USB ports and one ethernet port.

Sony plans to have 2 million units available at launch, followed by another 2 million by Christmas, and a total of 6 million by March 2007.

Pricing

In Japan, the 20GB config will sell for 59800 yen, but the 60GB config will have an open price (retailers decide).

In North America, the 20GB edition will cost $499, whilst the 60GB edition will cost $599. In both cases, you'll need to add tax (if applicable).

In Europe, the 20GB version will cost €499, and the 60GB version will cost €599

gen4k20a2
05-09-2006, 11:39 AM
Today at Sony's Press Conference in LA, Sony showed off the newest design of the PS3 controller. So long to the boomerang, hello Dual Shock.

The PS3 controller will include Bluetooth technology for wireless play with the addition of USB cables to wire the controller for recharging.

Although the most astonishing of thing about the controller that was announced at the pre-E3 press confrence was the inclusion of a six-axis sensing system and the removal of the vibrating core. The press release stated that, "Pursuant to the introduction of this new six-axis sensing system, the vibration feature that is currently available on DUALSHOCK and DUALSHOCK 2 controllers for PlayStation and PlayStation 2, will be removed from the new PS3 controller as vibration itself interferes with information detected by the sensor."

Sounds exciting and hopefully the sensors will add a whole other dimension to the PS3 gameplay. Personally, it would be fun to have the sensors incorprated into a FPS game were the camera reacts to the movements of the controller. I guess we'll all have to wait and see what happens and as more info on the controller is revealed later on at E3.

gen4k20a2
05-09-2006, 11:43 AM
The PlayStation 3 specifications have changed quite signficantly from last year's E3.

No longer is there dual screen support via dual-HDMI. Now there is only one HDMI port, and further still, the HDMI port only features on the 60GB configuration.

The 20GB config has also lost wireless support and the card reader for Memory Stick, Compact Flash and SD.

As has been mentioned earlier, the PS3 controller will not feature vibration technology. Apparently, the force feedback inteferes with the motion sensing. However, its removal could be related to the lawsuit with Immersion Inc., who has sued Sony for illegally using their vibration technology.

silvery_eagle
05-09-2006, 11:52 AM
aww... no vibrate no fun...

kipper215
05-09-2006, 12:32 PM
I hate to say it but, my playstation days are over >:( there is no way in hell I will pay what they are asking for that system. after getting the other accessories and a couple of games you are looking at a G-bone for that bullshit :tickedoff: GT4 was a disappointment w/glitchy graphics. and bill gates already jacked me for my money :knuppel2:

I'm done son. I rather spend that money on my EVO. O0

DruMMinStUd06
05-09-2006, 12:36 PM
I hate to say it but, my playstation days are over >:( there is no way in hell I will pay what they are asking for that system. after getting the other accessories and a couple of games you are looking at a G-bone for that bullshit :tickedoff: GT4 was a disappointment w/glitchy graphics. and bill gates already jacked me for my money :knuppel2:

I'm done son. I rather spend that money on my EVO. O0

Same here.

MyGlue
05-09-2006, 12:41 PM
600 isnt bad when u consider that ps3 cutting edge with dual GPU's and other gadgets that are still new to PCs. First time that consoles are getting pretty close to PC level of muscle. Granted, it is still a lot of money that could go a long way for the evo... Depends on where u spend most of ur time i guess then.

*chris*
05-09-2006, 12:45 PM
damn ....i think ill just wait for the prices to drop a little bit. like xbox2, which im still waiting for a price drop.

silvery_eagle
05-09-2006, 12:47 PM
damn ....i think ill just wait for the prices to drop a little bit. like xbox2, which im still waiting for a price drop.

that's going to be a long wait :(
i dont know if i can wait for a year after PS3 is out...

CHIGGA73
05-09-2006, 12:52 PM
how much is an actual blue ray DVD player? i think they are $600-$750+ right?

$600 for a ps3 is high, but it has so much technology built in...so i still might break down and get it.

just need to work a bit harder that's all.

EvolvedMCC
05-09-2006, 12:58 PM
wow sony has all but put the final nail in its own coffin. ps3 is the 3DO of this generation. at $399 for the deluxe bundle, MS was really pushing it with the 360. $499-599 is simply way too much for a game system. bye bye sony.

silvery_eagle
05-09-2006, 01:08 PM
599 is some kind of price for adults to get for themselves....
it better has lots of adult games

*chris*
05-09-2006, 02:33 PM
yah its a long time to wait ....but whatever. i dont play video games nearly as much as i used to, so waiting awhile is no biggee for me.

kipper215
05-09-2006, 03:15 PM
600 isnt bad when u consider that ps3 cutting edge with dual GPU's and other gadgets that are still new to PCs. First time that consoles are getting pretty close to PC level of muscle. Granted, it is still a lot of money that could go a long way for the evo... Depends on where u spend most of ur time i guess then.

when I bought the 360 with just 2 games, an extra controller, hd cables for the tv, and headphones the bill was like $800. I won't do that again, no thanks!

gen4k20a2
05-09-2006, 04:12 PM
wow...do what i did...have you GF buy it for you! :twisted:

Chris in SD
05-09-2006, 04:42 PM
I guess I'm out of touch, but that isn't a lot of money to me. Unless it has 4 figures, I don't worry about it. :-\

SpdyEvo02
05-09-2006, 04:45 PM
i will probably get it and then compare it to my xbox 360.....i would figure it to be around 800 with accsesories, and maybe 1 or 2 games, and tax

silvery_eagle
05-09-2006, 05:46 PM
I guess I'm out of touch, but that isn't a lot of money to me. Unless it has 4 figures, I don't worry about it. :-\

lol buy me one daddy :)

airforce1
05-09-2006, 06:19 PM
+1. BLue ray+60GB for $600? A bargain. You have hi-def DVD capability (minimum $500) plus 60 GB memory (60 GB IPOD $399). It has HDMI outputs for true HD connectivity + access to a potentially large software that will be dynamite.

thugline
05-11-2006, 04:13 AM
wtf $600 for a console?

That just made me fall out of my chair. Lol!! Yo, you got some blow? I suck ya dick.

-Boys n' the hood

stuart5150
05-11-2006, 08:39 AM
Ouch, but knowing my dumb ass I will probably buy one when it comes out, I will not be preordering it from Gamestop though >:(

silvery_eagle
05-11-2006, 09:49 AM
Ouch, but knowing my dumb ass I will probably buy one when it comes out, I will not be preordering it from Gamestop though >:(

why?
bad experience?

Terry S
05-12-2006, 12:35 PM

+1

Terry S

Highrever
05-12-2006, 01:33 PM
You guys are missing the point, buy two, order one from gamestop, and have your girlfriend order another from EB games, that way you may be out 1200 bucks, but you can turn around and sell each for 1200 because of the frenzy on E-bay, people will pay it, trust me.

When the Ps2 came out, I waited all night with my wife at Costa Mesa Fry's to get 2, one for me, 1 to sell, I didn't even make it out of the store when I sold the 2nd for 500 bucks, essentially got me a free palystation and money to boot, capitalism friends, use it

EvolvedMCC
05-12-2006, 01:55 PM
for sure i'll try to get one or two to sell to some sucker willing to pay body parts for this piece of crap. lol.

silvery_eagle
05-12-2006, 02:29 PM
You guys are missing the point, buy two, order one from gamestop, and have your girlfriend order another from EB games, that way you may be out 1200 bucks, but you can turn around and sell each for 1200 because of the frenzy on E-bay, people will pay it, trust me.

When the Ps2 came out, I waited all night with my wife at Costa Mesa Fry's to get 2, one for me, 1 to sell, I didn't even make it out of the store when I sold the 2nd for 500 bucks, essentially got me a free palystation and money to boot, capitalism friends, use it

good deal lol
i'mma try that later

thugline
05-12-2006, 04:27 PM
I'm buying three and that's for sure!

Cr0mster
05-14-2006, 02:12 AM
For everyone talking about the insane cost of the PS3, lets look at the x360.

Here is a Xbox 360 with all the items you need to get to equal what comes with a $600 PS3.

Premium System = $399

Xbox Wireless Network adaptor = $99.99
http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=802124

Xbox 360 Universal Media Remote = $29.99
http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=802128

Xbox 360 Play and Charge Kit = $19.99
http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=802125

Now the last item we have to consider is the HD dvd Drive addon. We can estimate on the low end it will cost about $200 but I suspect it will be more seeing that a new Blueray DVD player costs about $1000.

http://www.blu-ray.com/players/

So lets add this up.

A Xbox 360 with all of the above listed items comes to $748.97

As you can see we are talking about the same amount of money here. So stop saying people will never pay the money for it when many people are paying close to that much for their x360. Just the fact that the PS3 comes with a blueray player helps justify the cost to me. I would rather drop $600 on something that plays games and movies not just a DVD player for 1k.

thugline
05-14-2006, 02:16 AM
For everyone talking about the insane cost of the PS3, lets look at the x360.

Here is a Xbox 360 with all the items you need to get to equal what comes with a $600 PS3.

Premium System = $399

Xbox Wireless Network adaptor = $99.99
http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=802124

Xbox 360 Universal Media Remote = $29.99
http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=802128

Xbox 360 Play and Charge Kit = $19.99
http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=802125

Now the last item we have to consider is the HD dvd Drive addon. We can estimate on the low end it will cost about $200 but I suspect it will be more seeing that a new Blueray DVD player costs about $1000.

http://www.blu-ray.com/players/

So lets add this up.

A Xbox 360 with all of the above listed items comes to $748.97

As you can see we are talking about the same amount of money here. So stop saying people will never pay the money for it when many people are paying close to that much for their x360. Just the fact that the PS3 comes with a blueray player helps justify the cost to me. I would rather drop $600 on something that plays games and movies not just a DVD player for 1k.

It looks like Sony is keeping it real w/ the price of the "PS3" then! O0

silvery_eagle
05-14-2006, 02:56 AM
with all these "extra" goodies.... do you think the games will be up to par?
the system can be the best of the world.. but without any decent game or games that utilize most of the stuff ps3 has to offer and MAKE IT FUN to play .... it's just a dvd player...

Cr0mster
05-14-2006, 12:26 PM
with all these "extra" goodies.... do you think the games will be up to par?
the system can be the best of the world.. but without any decent game or games that utilize most of the stuff ps3 has to offer and MAKE IT FUN to play .... it's just a dvd player...

I talked to a few developers at E3. They said while the PS3 will take them longer to learn programming wise, it will allow them to do some amazing things once they really get it down. I would fully expect some amazing games to be coming out in the future. I did play Gran Turismo HD at E3. It looked great for only being 20% complete. The Sonic the Hedgehog game was really fun and Heavenly Sword kicked ass.

leaveit2bevo
05-15-2006, 01:13 PM
what is a blueray dvd player?

silvery_eagle
05-15-2006, 01:18 PM
ok... i overheard someone in a gameshop talking about it... saying that this machine will look good even on convensional TV.... compare to xbox360 which only looks good on plasma tv/ LCD tv..

thugline
05-15-2006, 01:28 PM
I talked to a few developers at E3. They said while the PS3 will take them longer to learn programming wise, it will allow them to do some amazing things once they really get it down. I would fully expect some amazing games to be coming out in the future. I did play Gran Turismo HD at E3. It looked great for only being 20% complete. The Sonic the Hedgehog game was really fun and Heavenly Sword kicked ass.

Oh great! :roll: It looks like we will have to wait until 2010 or so for GT HD. It better be online and have the newest cars and have 2-player drag's.

silvery_eagle
05-15-2006, 01:46 PM
lol 2 player drags...

Cr0mster
05-15-2006, 03:52 PM
what is a blueray dvd player?

The format provides five times larger capacity than today's DVDs, with unprecedented storage capacity of 25 GB (single-layer) and 50 GB (dual-layer). Blu-ray Disc™ players will be fully backward compatible with current DVD formats, delivering entertainment content in full high-definition (HD) quality, under a secure environment made possible through the most advanced copyright protection technology.

Blu-ray Disc™ provides picture quality beyond anything available, with full capability 1080p/24 resolution in Blu-ray and Up to 40Mbps bit encoding - 5X current DVD. The theater quality "uncompressed" audio supports 8 channels of Liner PCM, Up to 32 streams of audio, interactive capability, seamless menus, integrated games, hi-def bonus and educational features. Java will allow for more dynamic, more sophisticated interactivity.

Blu-ray Disc™ was created to match the accelerating growth in digital consumer electronics and computer technology. The platform supports the convergence of film, music, gaming and other computer entertainment in a single standard. Sony Computer Entertainment's adoption of Blu-ray Disc™ ROM technology in the next-generation PlayStation 3 system was announced at the 2005 Electronic Entertainment Expo.

leaveit2bevo
05-15-2006, 07:29 PM
sick

Tarmac02
05-16-2006, 12:35 AM
wow,... the burning question is will I neglect a month of modding to afford the damn thing.

Senshi
05-16-2006, 01:30 AM
i say bring on the "revolution" (wii is still a gay name) but seriously im way more excited about the nintendo then the ps3. other then GT5 and MGS there are no interesting games coming out for it.

MyGlue
05-17-2006, 08:14 PM
I think that the Wii is kinda gimmicky. It will be a while til developers figure out how to use the pointer/numchuck thing properly to make some really cool games. Same thing kinda happened with the DS. After a while it became a nice notepad thing. I still prefer technology over innovation. But like you said its all about 3rd party game support. In the end games are what sells the system. I will do my best to hold off until the defining game comes out for the system. But seeing warhawk and even the gundam game, the games look truely amazing. But that i guess requires hi-def LCD tv. All of this talk is still very premature. PS3 really didnt show much playable game footage esp from their heavy hitter titles ie. Gran Turismo and Metal Gear Solid.

Terenus
05-17-2006, 10:29 PM
Developers already found great ways to use the controllers from Wii. If you saw the Nintendo conference, they showed some pretty kool ways to play Zelda and how it works.

Stuff
05-17-2006, 10:31 PM
I'll toss in my 2 cents...

First, the ps3 will look like ass on regular tvs, just like everything else. :crazy2: You'll need a HD tv for the good graphics to shine...

Secondly, the price is a bit too high. It's just a video game system. It's a bargain for a blu-ray player, but the question is blu-ray a viable movie format. IMHO, no. Is it a better option HD-DVD, probably. Look at your DVD collection. Are you going to buy them again in a higher res? I know I'm not. :buck2:

Here's an inflation adjusted chart. Pretty interesting... Aside from the very first consoles, the PS3 is up there even after inflation adjustment...
http://curmudgeongamer.com/2006/05/history-of-console-prices-or-500-aint.html

Don't get me wrong, the ps3 will sell out first day... I'm sure it will be a PITA to get one for a while... And even with the hefty price, I don't see Sony losing the crown anytime soon...

I'm disappointed with the controller. They obviously tried to steal the Wii's thunder and didn't do a very good job. :roll: Plus the triggers don't look like they have enough analog travel... weak. I guess it's either 360 or buy a steering wheel for racing games... and move the left analog stick for gawdsake... I guess I could look at it this way: It's making me make a racing seat/steering wheel setup... I guess that's good. :2funny:

Games looked decent... nothing that screamed "BUY ME" but some good stuff...

I'm going to try to get one, but I think I won't be annoyed if I can't... (especially with GTA:4 being released on 360 at the same time)

If I can't get a Wii, then I'll be annoyed. ;)

MyGlue
05-18-2006, 08:54 AM
Developers already found great ways to use the controllers from Wii. If you saw the Nintendo conference, they showed some pretty kool ways to play Zelda and how it works.

Sadly No... the wait was insane to get in.

Also, there is a new logitech wheel coming out that has 3 pedals and 6 speed shifter. Hope it works for xbox AND Ps2/3

silvery_eagle
05-18-2006, 09:49 AM
wow nice.... 3 pedals and 6 speed shifter... now we can learn how to drive a car in the living room lol

Stuff
05-18-2006, 09:59 AM
Yeah, this wheel rules. :)

I hope it's a reasonable price....

Terry S
05-18-2006, 10:56 AM
Oh crap... That setup looks fucking awesome! You seriously could learn to drive in your living room now.. lol

Terry S

silvery_eagle
05-18-2006, 11:15 AM
all that's left is a recaro seat to complete the setting.... i hope that thing is not expensive

Terry S
05-18-2006, 01:26 PM
all that's left is a recaro seat to complete the setting.... i hope that thing is not expensive

My guess would be $150-200.

Terry S

silvery_eagle
05-18-2006, 01:43 PM
ahh... they forgot to put handbrake! lol

Terry S
05-18-2006, 01:55 PM
ahh... they forgot to put handbrake! lol

Handbrakes are for sissy's. Flick 'n floor is the only way to do it!

Terry S

4G63POWERED
06-19-2006, 07:40 PM
Where is the best place to preorder it when the time comes?

verano
06-20-2006, 02:05 PM
Oh crap... That setup looks fucking awesome! You seriously could learn to drive in your living room now.. lol

and if it is really a 3-piece set, you can practice right hand drive......lol

RgistRdShowoffIX
07-16-2006, 01:32 AM
I think that Logitech is between 200-300 if i remember correctly. It looks like a lot of fun to play with. I think i'm gonna be at Fry's for a while when it hits stores. ;p

Highrever
07-16-2006, 10:43 PM
Where is the best place to preorder it when the time comes?

I asked around and Gamestop told me they won't be taking preorders till sept/oct. Imagine what will happen if Sony shorts the suplly again, I say become friends with someone who owns an EBgames. :smitten:

StealthRS
08-18-2006, 10:38 PM
thats expensive prices on the PS3. I'll just wait till next year, since I've learned that the 1st versions always has the bugs just like when I got my PS2. I'm thinking the prices for the games would be around $60 since its new technology for the blueray.

thugline
08-18-2006, 11:02 PM
An employee @ Ebgames told me that 80% of the PS3'S that are set to launch have failed to operate correctly because of problems with the harddrives. They may delay the launch or have a massive shortage.

boostin05evo
08-19-2006, 12:12 AM
I asked around and Gamestop told me they won't be taking preorders till sept/oct. Imagine what will happen if Sony shorts the suplly again, I say become friends with someone who owns an EBgames. :smitten:

i dont owe a eb games but work for a gamecrazy, our store will sell out before we open on the realease date, employees here got first dibs, i know ill be selling a couple that night on ebay. ;-)

EvolutionR
08-27-2006, 02:39 AM
right now i'd rather keep my ps2 until GT5 comes out. its new technology so my eye is more on nintendo since it looks fun