PDA

View Full Version : ECUflash beginners tutorial

EFIxMR
05-15-2006, 02:59 AM
This is a beginners tutorial I wrote to help people get started on ECUflash. Please feel free to correct me if you see any blatent mistakes.

http://www.evolutionmr.net/img/images/openecu/cable.jpg
Here's a picture of the ECUFLASH cable.

One end is usb which goes into your computer, and at the other end the big black plug goes into your obd2 port, the little white plug next to it goes into the small port right beside the obd2 port.

http://www.evolutionmr.net/img/images/openecu/port.jpg

This is your target of interest right here. plugging the cable into the ports mentioned above give you access to the stock ECU. These ports are located on your right hand side under the driver dash, if you've looked under your dash before you might have easily missed it before, but now with ECUFLASH this is going to be your new best friend.

Before actually connecting to your car and DL its rom, you should familiarize yourself with the ECUFlash program and how efi systems work in general. First DL ECUFlash from OpenECU.org and purchase an OpenECU cable.

Next you download the 05' EVO Rom here below and save it to your desktop. We will use this as a demo in this tutorial.

http://www.evolutionmr.net/img/images/openecu/EVO8%20JM9693.hex (http://www.evolutionmr.net/img/images/openecu/EVO8%20JM9693.hex")

To open up the rom run the ECUFlash program and click the folder button as shown in the following picture.

http://www.evolutionmr.net/img/images/openecu/openfile.JPG

a pop up screen will follow and direct it to the desktop where you saved the 05' EVO rom.

http://www.evolutionmr.net/img/images/openecu/metatables.JPG

load that rom and the metatables will appear. these are preconfigured "definitions" (memory addresses used to control various parameters). The red arrow is pointing to the fuel map parameters, clicking the boxes will bring them up. We are going to learn about the fuel map first.

http://www.evolutionmr.net/img/images/openecu/fuelmap.JPG

This is the high octane fuel map. The fuel map is a 3d table with rpm on the Y axis and load on the X axis. The computer references the fuel map table under open loop (no o2 sensor feedback) conditions. This table tells the ECU how much fuel to add under what conditions as a function of rpm and load.

http://www.evolutionmr.net/img/images/openecu/indexed.jpg

The X axis is easy enough to understand it is simply RPM. The load however is just lightly more complicated. It is quantified in the metric system in kilopascals (kpa). 100 kpa is 0 vacuum. 200 kpa or 1 bar of boost is ~14.7 psi. Anything below 100 kpa is vacuum.

*edit just talked with Jason@mynes and he said that the load isn't in KPA but is a caculated load from multiple sensors but this is a quick short cut to think about it until we can get a definitive answer*

http://www.evolutionmr.net/img/images/openecu/fuel%20path.JPG

Under light cruise conditions the computer references the yellow region on conjunction with the 02 sensor long and short term fuel trims. i.e., Freeway driving.

The green path is an imaginary overlay running clockwise of your engine traveling under light acceleration. Lets say leaving a stop light, ect.

The black path is an imaginary overlay running clockwise of your engine under WOT. For example, when you are being a ricer and want to hear your exhaust scream :P

By changing the numbers inside the fuel map either up or down you affect the engines a/f ratio.

http://www.evolutionmr.net/img/images/openecu/editing.jpg

Now that you are a little bit familiar with how the fuel map goes. Let's talk about edititing the fuel table. By clicking the edit button (red arrow) you can manipulate any highlighted cell or cells (green arrow). This works much like an excel table.

That much is simple enough. However, the numbers in the fuel table are a bit more tricky. These correspond to the target a/f ratio you want, but only for a stock car.

Once a vehicle has been modified this a/f targets are off, and these numbers just become data which you move up and down to achieve your target a/f measured by a high accuracy wideband.

The tricky part is bigger numbers = leaner, smaller numbers = richer
This differs from traditional EFI systems that control injector pulse width directly.

http://www.evolutionmr.net/img/images/openecu/dual%20fuel%20maps.jpg
Click the low octane and high octane map in the metatables as indicated by the red arrows. This will bring up the screen above.

As you might already know the EVO ecu has dual fuel maps. Which map the ECU
runs on depends on knock sensor activity. When knock sensor activity reaches a predetermined threshold, the ECU looks up the low octane map to protect the engine.

The low octane map is set richer than the high octane map in efforts to mitigate what the ECU detects as knock. When knock activity has decreased the ECU reverts back to the high octane map which is leaner for more performance.

You've likely see the effects of this when you dynoed your car and had a dip in your tq curve. The ECU sensed what it thought to be knock thru the knock sensor and richened the mixture to protect your engine accordingly.

http://www.evolutionmr.net/img/images/openecu/timing%20maps.jpg

Editing the timing table is much the same as editing to fuel table. The numbers in the timing map correspond to at what degrees of crank shaft rotation to fire the spark plug. These are measured in degrees before top dead center (BTDC).

Again like the dual fuel maps, the evo has dual ignition maps for both high and low knock sensor activity. This is again to protect your engine.

When high knock activity is detected the ECU retards ignition timing by reading the low octane map. Once knock level activity has ceased to a predetermined threshold by the ECU it reverts back to the high octane map with advanced timing for more power.

http://www.evolutionmr.net/img/images/openecu/limits.jpg

*edit just talked with Jason@mynes and he said that the load isn't in KPA but is a caculated load from multiple sensors but this is a quick short cut to think about it until we can get a definitive answer*

To conclude our beginner tutorial of EcuFlash for the EVO, we will look at the limiting systems built into the ECU.

Click Speed Limit, Stationary Rev Limit, Rev Limit, and Boost Limit in the metatables to bring up the screen above.

The speed limit is the vss governor

Stationary rev limit is mitsubishi's way of keeping our trannies together, but now that its under our control its the newest member of the EVO bowling league.

Primary rev limiter is self explanitory, it keeps you from reving your engine out like you did on your old integra gsr for good reason, it doesn't need to rev that high.

Boost limit is the dreaded boost cut we periodically run into at night on the freeway... The first time I bumped into it, I thought I blew up my motor, thru time I just learned to ignore it... But now i can set it as crazy as I want! :P

So everyone... be sure to find your favorite vendor and pick up a wide band with some sort of logging capability before you even think of attempting to modify your engine's fuel injection maps.

Modify at your own risk, there's still tons of stuff out there to know, this is just the tip of the iceberg but I hope I've accelerated your path into getting more enjoyment from your car by freeing your ECU!

But before we go we need to learn how to save maps...

http://www.evolutionmr.net/img/images/openecu/save.JPG

When saving a file, the program doesn't automatically append the file type to the end of the save file, so if you don't type .hex or .bin to the end of the file you wont be able to see your saved rom when you try and open it up with ECUflash.
So be sure to add .hex or .bin!

Thanks to everyone involved who made this program. ECUflash is awesome!!!

Terry S
05-15-2006, 10:51 AM
Iiiiiinteresting. O0

Thanks for the writeup.

Terry S

DTunedEvoX
05-15-2006, 11:11 AM
Thats an awesome write-up .. Seems very similar to the "vendor restricted" piggyback system in terms of the cells ..

Would like to see some results in the near future!

smokd
05-15-2006, 11:27 AM
nice writeup... wouldnt dare try it on my car.. too scared :buck2:

GokuSSJ4
05-15-2006, 11:30 AM
thanks for the write up, i was suprise that you hadn't post it here, since i saw it in norcal. please give us an update when your finish tuning it and if you can post a dyno sheet along with afr , that would be great!

Tom@TTech
05-15-2006, 11:35 AM
EFIxMR,
Thank you. This is great stuff. Shiv and Alfred were using this cable and software all weekend.

ChrisF
05-15-2006, 11:55 AM
The [forum restricted piggback] flash on my car is using it. It works fantastically, scaled injectors and all.

Tom@TTech
05-15-2006, 12:51 PM
Now, if only I could download it on my laptop without getting all kinds of "choose the program" for .rar type messages.

ChrisF
05-15-2006, 12:54 PM
Try here:

http://www.mynesperformance.com/openecu/

Scroll down and choose the Zip version. It's a more commonly used compression format that XP natively understands.

Tom@TTech
05-15-2006, 01:24 PM
Thanks Chris, I got it working.

Blak94GSX
05-15-2006, 01:46 PM
I offer flash tuning now in addition to my AFC and EMS tuning. I have been having some good success tuning cars with this setup. Best with an AFC for race gas and pump gas maps.

Blak94GSX
05-15-2006, 02:00 PM
You need a decent datalogger for tuning. There are several loggers being developed, but I haven't seen anything decent yet that uses this cable with EVOs. The pocketlogger is still the way to go for now. I'm sure that will change soon enough.

As for the tuning methodology, it is similar to AFC tuning just a bit harder since you can't make changes on the fly.

Step 1 is to download the stock ROM that is in the ECU and save it out. Also note the Immobilizer Codes in case things go horribly wrong and you need to restore a different ROM. The Immobilizer Codes must match the vehicle. The plus side of this is that if you know the Immobilizer Codes for a particular car you can run it with any ECU.

Step 2 is to adjust the Injector Dead Time Compensation table for the type of injectors you have, and the Injector Size Compensation. Use 90% of the rated injector size for the Injector Size value.

Step 3 is to set the rev limiters how you want. Stock is fine in most cases unless you have a biggee turbo and cams that don't do much below 5000 RPM anyway. The stock motor and valvetrain is (usually) good up to 8000ish and can handle the occasional 9000 rev for drag racing. It is up to you how hard you want to run it. If you have an 05+ model you can set the 2 Step rev limiter for launch control. From the factory it is set to 5000 so the car bogs off the line if you treat it like a honduh. If you bump this up to around 5600 you have perfect launch control. You may need to adjust this for the track conditions and torque curve of your setup.

For the tuning:

First work on the fuel tables so the O2 voltage shown on a logger is approximately .94 everywhere you are at full boost, or 10.8-11.4 if you have a wideband. This has to be done by modifying the fuel tables, flashing the ROM, starting the car and going for a drive to log the results. Then review the log, modify the fuel tables, flash the ROM with the new changes, go for another drive to log the results. Repeat until the fuel on the log looks good.

Getting the timing right is pretty similar to tuning the fuel, but you monitor EGT, listen for pinging, and review the log for any dips in the timing curve.

ChrisF
05-15-2006, 02:09 PM
Scott: Do you know the estimated flash life expectancy of the EVO ECU (number of flashes before potential data curruption)?

earlyapex
05-15-2006, 02:16 PM
Scott:* Do you know the estimated flash life expectancy of the EVO ECU (number of flashes before potential data curruption)?

The chip maker states 100 but people have gone over that with no ill-effects.

Blak94GSX
05-15-2006, 03:26 PM
I think 1000 is the rating, but yeah nobody has really found any issues so far.

silvery_eagle
05-15-2006, 03:35 PM
why would you flash more than 1000 times ???

earlyapex
05-15-2006, 03:40 PM
I think 1000 is the rating, but yeah nobody has really found any issues so far.

I think you're right. I forgot a zero. I wish that would happen in my bank account.

Blak94GSX
05-15-2006, 03:40 PM
Indeed. :p

leaveit2bevo
05-15-2006, 04:04 PM
so this should work really well with a safc to scale injectors and make sure the 720s dont give to much timing advance?

Blak94GSX
05-15-2006, 04:05 PM
I view it as something to be used to solve problems. For most cars the SAFC works great by itself, but on cars that are real knock happy the ECU could be flashed with lower timing to work around it.

Blak94GSX
05-15-2006, 04:07 PM
Scaling for the injectors defeats the main purpose of having an AFC with larger injectors, since you won't get the additional timing caused by lowering the Airflow to compensate for the injectors.

However, scaling for the injectors to make the ECU work on pump gas without much AFC compensation (basically zero out the AFC), and then leaning things out on the AFC for the race gas map, would give you the best of both.

leaveit2bevo
05-15-2006, 04:10 PM
ah I see

Blak94GSX
05-15-2006, 04:11 PM
Or if you are l33t t00ner you could buy a cable for yourself and just reflash the ECU for the fuel and boost you want to run that day.

earlyapex
05-15-2006, 04:13 PM
However, scaling for the injectors to make the ECU work on pump gas without much AFC compensation (basically zero out the AFC), and then leaning things out on the AFC for the race gas map, would give you the best of both.

Yup, that's the ticket right there. Or you could just make two maps, 1 for 91 octane and 1 for race gas. Not many people run race gas very often so you really wouldn't have to worry about the flash limit.

However using the SAFC for just racegas is a bit more conveniant.

Blak94GSX
05-15-2006, 04:23 PM
Yeah the nice thing about keeping the AFC in the loop is that you can make changes to the fuel real quick and easy. Pretty handy at the dragstrip where you are leaning it out a bit each run to tune for maximum trapspeed on race gas.

The cable is $90 and the software is free, so the way I see it, if you already have a laptop, this is a cheap and effective tool to have around. Once there is a datalogger for it as well, that will make it really nice.

trinydex
05-15-2006, 06:51 PM
yeah waiting for the datalogging :[

DTunedEvoX
05-15-2006, 06:53 PM
IB there will be a ton of "I blew my evo up with ECUFlash" lol ...
For 89.00 - ya cant go wrong if you know what your doin'!

silvery_eagle
05-16-2006, 11:51 AM
haha... guess what...
i read this from evolutionm.net...

Dyno Flash "E FLASH!" now available

ChrisF
05-16-2006, 12:51 PM
I just read that thread. My god are those people up Al's a$$. Flashing just got a whole lot more mainstream. Thank god.

WavMixer
05-16-2006, 01:08 PM
Once there is a datalogger for it as well, that will make it really nice.

Have you seen this?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mitsubishi-EVO8-Scanmaster-Data-Logging-Tool-EVO_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33596QQitemZ8066156 468QQrdZ1
If so, wadda ya think?

earlyapex
05-16-2006, 01:15 PM
Once there is a datalogger for it as well, that will make it really nice.

Have you seen this?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mitsubishi-EVO8-Scanmaster-Data-Logging-Tool-EVO_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33596QQitemZ8066156 468QQrdZ1
If so, wadda ya think?

Since it's still just using OBD2, the pocketlogger is a better and cheaper choice.

BHCevo
05-17-2006, 02:31 PM
Does anyone know what all the intercooler (IC) maps do? I have an 03 evo and I'd like to adjust the spraying logic when its in automatic mode. It would be neat to turn on the
spray whenever i hit WOT for example. Anyone know how to do this?

ChrisF
05-17-2006, 05:25 PM
+1

galvitron
05-19-2006, 12:16 PM
Awesome write-up! Thanks ;)

taenaive
05-24-2006, 03:18 PM
I made a good power with this ECU Flash.
It was pretty easy to use and the tunning was done much faster and better than my previous SAFC tune.
being able to read the timing and fuel table makes tunning much much easier. no more guess work like SAFC tune. O0

trinydex
05-24-2006, 09:53 PM
ah so you can see the timing table? you don't need to log it? (unless of course you wanna see if any timing is pulled)

jdmitr
05-24-2006, 10:29 PM
does ecu flash work with the ix's?

C-Spec
05-24-2006, 11:31 PM
the Ecu flash doesn't work with the IX completely yet. you can pull the rom from the ecu but you can't write it. The new software version will be release soon. Be pation my child.

turbolarry
05-25-2006, 10:18 AM
OMG! THIS SHIT IS AWSOME!
... but kinda scary too. I'm so used to just an AFC. All I can say is wow, that's a lot of control.

turbolarry
05-25-2006, 10:26 AM
OK, so I'm just looking at the Evo file from the first post, the '05 Evo, under;
Turbo/boost limit
Can basically do away with the stock boost tapper by changing it to 245 all the way through, from 6000 RPM's on up?

turbolarry
05-25-2006, 10:38 AM
What is "Boost desired engine load #1,2,&3?" under turbo?
Anyone know what triggers these to switch?* Would it matter since most of use run a single straight MBC's anyway?* Is that where we would adjust for stock boost taper and carry out 150 kPa (21psi) on those scales?

PS
Sorry about all the questions on boost control.* I'd just love to run 21 psi all day and have no fears of popping the hood to see stock vacuum lines to the stock solinoid.* :grin:

EVO Neil
05-25-2006, 01:46 PM
Interesting technology. Nice write-up.

Blak94GSX
05-26-2006, 12:00 AM
OK, so I'm just looking at the Evo file from the first post, the '05 Evo, under;
Turbo/boost limit
Can basically do away with the stock boost tapper by changing it to 245 all the way through, from 6000 RPM's on up?

Yeah that doesn't fully disable it, but it sets the limit high enough that you shouldn't hit it under normal conditions.

turbolarry
05-26-2006, 12:24 AM
Turbo/boost limit

Yeah that doesn't fully disable it, but it sets the limit high enough that you shouldn't hit it under normal conditions.

Yea, change that setting, then change the three boost desired engine load "maps."* All three of them max at 159kPa (23psi) then tapper down to 125/122.5kPa (18-17psi).* Change all three of them to 144.5kPa (20.9psi) straight across.* I would love to try this and see if it's like a MBC set to 21psi. I just need to get a cable.

Blak94GSX
05-26-2006, 12:29 AM
No it isn't as stable as a MBC. The values shown are all "relative" meaning they are derived from airflow, and the boost control system uses a PID type algorithm, so you can reduce the taper and change the max boost a bit, but the stock boost control system just isn't real good, compared to a decent MBC.

You can play with the bleeder size and restrictor size on the hoses going from the solenoid to the wastegate. I guess it all depends on how much effort you want to spend on it.

C-Spec
05-26-2006, 12:33 AM
larry i have the stuff, i have been playing with it. come by the shoplater on the today i will show you what it can do.

Evoegg
05-26-2006, 12:39 AM
ok I am new to this kind stuff, can this flash the ECU and make it like a stand-alone? or its still limited because its still using the OEM Ecu?

cannot disable MAF right?

I am in the market for a good engine control unit.

THANKS

Evoegg

Blak94GSX
05-26-2006, 12:57 AM
It allows you to change all of the parameters that the ECU supports. For the most part this lets you tune it like a standalone, since you can set the timing and fuel to exactly what you want.

Main advantages of a decent standalone unit like the AEM EMS:

awesome datalogger
can run MAP instead of MAF
easy to use software interface with wizards
full wideband O2 sensor support
traction control
anti-lag
launch control
full control over knock suppression
support for nitrous/water/methanol injection
no smog system

The main disadvantages of a standalone are:

cost - figure $2000 for a decent setup plus tuning
no smog system

For both, it is all in the tuning, although with a flash you are starting with a stock setup and modifying from there, which is easier, compared to a true standalone where you start with nothing and have to set up a few dozen things for it to even start and run halfway decent. Ultimately the tool is less important than the tuner. Find a tuner first and then go with what they recommend to meet your goals.

Evoegg
05-26-2006, 10:54 AM
Thanks for the answer man..... I am thinking since I am going to upgrade:

Intake

ok I am just kidding..
:laugh:

my goal is 320-350whp daily drive without turbo upgrade - first step
2nd step going for the look(bodykit + wheels + new paints :tickedoff:)
then 450whp daily drive with turbo upgrade - and I want my car that can be drive for at least 3 years long!!! no drags but maybe some track/autocross ...

thats all !!!

so I guess I wont need a standalone before I upgrade my turbo right??

Evoegg

Blak94GSX
05-27-2006, 01:48 AM
Add an AFC and some Denso 660 injectors and you won't need a standalone ever for your goals...

Boy Racer
05-30-2006, 11:26 PM
At what knock frequency does the map change to the (high knock maps). I'm trying to get an idea of what level of knock is acceptable.

I'm using a data aquisition system to log a wide band A/F sensor (Bosch LSU 4.9), knock sensor voltage, tps and rpm.

I'm trying to get an idea what what the MAF sensor is doing with the AEM intake.

Any help will be very much appreciated.

Blak94GSX
06-27-2006, 04:58 PM
Under 20 knock seems to be okay. The max is around 45. It stays fully on the High octane map when the knock is below 5 and switches fully to the low octane map when the knock exceeds 25.

Blak94GSX
06-27-2006, 04:59 PM
On the EVO 9 there are 3 sets of ignition tables:

Ignition map 1 is used exclusively until the coolant reaches over 149F. Ignition map 2 is used exclusively once it is warmed up, and Ignition map 3 is used in limp mode when there is a major DTC triggered like the MAF is disconnected.

Basically map 2 is the primary map.