PDA

View Full Version : police speed limit trailers

rammsteinmatt
05-18-2006, 07:06 PM
so you know the trailers the police leave out, that have a speed limit sign, and have a display that shows your speed? to show that you are over the speed, as a service (or something along those lines)

do those happen to have cameras? more importantly, the ones in covina........

Enyth
05-18-2006, 07:24 PM
i dont think they do. I think its just there to scare you (unless there's a cop right behind it). People usually freak and slow down when they see their speed. I've gone over the speed limit plenty of times on those and no cameras. Plus, i think they HAVE to post a sign of somesort to let you know about a camera being present (ie: red light cameras)

azul gsr
05-18-2006, 07:27 PM
no they don't.
it's there to measure and get the average speed of the cars. they use it every now and then to find out if the posted speed limit is still appropriate for that particular road.

Skiracer
05-18-2006, 07:34 PM
I tend to see how high i can get the numbers flashing on the display when i drive by them O0

CHIGGA73
05-18-2006, 07:52 PM
I tend to see how high i can get the numbers flashing on the display when i drive by them O0

me too! i do that on my bike too!

i like when it is slow on reporting the number and it increases 20+ mph at a time as i blow by!

evoate671
05-18-2006, 07:56 PM
hahaha i do the exact same thing! thatll be funny if theres a cop hiding behind that thing though! :grin:

EVOATEYOU
05-18-2006, 08:01 PM
hahaha i do the exact same thing! thatll be funny if theres a cop hiding behind that thing though! :grin:

hah no it wont cuz then you will be gettin a ticket :knuppel2:

but i've done that too :2funny:

nurb2
05-18-2006, 08:01 PM
Those are to make you aware of your speed ... and to scare you into slowing down. They are excellent for testing the range of your radar detectors though.

The city determines average speed for their engineering and traffic surveys with those black wire/tube thing they stretch across the road.

-nurb2-

holdingLADERAdown
05-18-2006, 08:10 PM
haha i swear your hellarious i friggin laughed so hard when i read this because i do this everytime and when i get to the next light coming up people all around me are nodding their heads like there pissed or something i love those things!! thanks CHP for making me enjoy my turbo since the year 2000

rubelcon
05-18-2006, 08:16 PM
In the NW, they have had these for a while.. They take your picture as you speed on by. They also nail everyone for no front plates in the NW, because that's where they grab the plate pic from.

It will not be long until they are here in Suck-Cal.

chuckdashi
05-18-2006, 09:16 PM
In the NW, they have had these for a while.. They take your picture as you speed on by. They also nail everyone for no front plates in the NW, because that's where they grab the plate pic from.

It will not be long until they are here in Suck-Cal.
really?... but legally a sign would be up saying "camera ahead so slow the F*** down!"

rammsteinmatt
05-18-2006, 09:25 PM
thanks everyone.

my engineeringness got the best of me, i had to know what happens when a 2 digit speed display tries to display a 3 digit speed.

i was actually too scared to look down to see if i was in the triples (there was a slight turn), but i figure i was. it displayed 99...........

oh and that those speeds, you never see the number increase. you're almost on top of the the thing, it shows the speed, you barely see it, and you blow past.

WavMixer
05-18-2006, 10:42 PM
I tend to see how high i can get the numbers flashing on the display when i drive by them* *O0

http://wavmixer.com/evo/167mph.jpg

CubanEvo
05-21-2006, 07:07 PM
haha yah they have these in villa park if ur going up santiago into the residential areas. I always go slow by them because it is villa park and 99% of the time there is a cop one street over watching it.....plus i saw a crotch rocket fly by one and get lit up once so im always careful these days

Skiracer
05-21-2006, 07:15 PM
Uh oh, trouble's starting:
http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/11/1138.asp

Illinois: Freeway Speeding Cameras Activated
Illinois activates statewide freeway speed camera program.

As of today, marked white photo radar vans are ticketing motorists on the Dan Ryan Expressway in Chicago, Illinois. The program represents the only statewide use of freeway speed cameras in the United States. Next week, a second van will begin operating on the Tollway while a third will operate downstate. Planned locations for the van include construction zones on I-64 in St. Clair, I-57 in Williamson County, and I-74 in Champaign. The Illinois State Police has been testing the system for the past two months.

Currently, only two cities -- Scottsdale, Arizona and Washington, DC -- operate photo radar on freeways. Scottsdale's program has generated nearly $3 million at a rate of $42,000 in tickets every day.

Illinois stands to make far more as the state's maximum fine is five times greater than Scottsdale's. A first offense runs $375 and a second costs $1000 with a 90-day license suspension. License demerit points will raise the insurance rates of the vehicle owner for 4-7 years. Under a measure signed into law last week, the tickets will only be issued in a work zone with at least one worker present. Although the state has suggested the speed camera program is intended to cut work zone deaths, evidence shows that only 15 percent of freeway construction zone injuries are caused by automobiles. A far greater number of workers are injured by construction equipment.

Illinois State Police officers will sit inside the vans belonging to Affiliated Computer Services (ACS) while the machine generates tickets. ACS officials are currently on trial for bribing Canadian police officers to secure a lucrative speed camera contract in the city of Edmonton. Illinois will pay the company $2950 per month per van as well as a $15 bonus for every ticket the company is able to generate.

rammsteinmatt
05-21-2006, 08:25 PM
thats retarded. they dont have enough money already. making the roads safer, is the lamest excuse ever

ovenmit331
05-22-2006, 06:34 AM

two words... valentine one.