PDA

View Full Version : got rear ended . the driver's Ins expired. i don't have NM!

gshock
05-23-2006, 03:45 PM
well. i guess it was not my day.

got rear ended. the driver came up nicely. "do you want to go to hospital? are you ok?" ETC..........

the police came up. ask us the INFO. i got the driver's DL. INS. info. and found out the Ins expired. i told the police. he said "it's ok. don't worry"

My car is in body shop now. i don't have UM. i have to pay ded and rent the car.

what can i do?

thanks for any help!

Terry S
05-23-2006, 03:47 PM
You dont have UM? what's that?

Terry S

jayvolution
05-23-2006, 03:50 PM
ummmm... :-o sorry to hear. should of got that UM. btw what is UM?

WavMixer
05-23-2006, 03:52 PM
By UM he probably means Uninsured Motorist. FYI, UM is for when the person that hits you doesn't have insurance.

gshock
05-23-2006, 03:57 PM
yeah. UM is Uninsured Motorist.

Terry S
05-23-2006, 03:57 PM
By UM he probably means Uninsured Motorist. FYI, UM is for when the person that hits you doesn't have insurance.

Ahh...

Well then, my advice to him is to sit back and let his insurance do it's job.

Terry S

hardcoreracing
05-23-2006, 03:59 PM
Have you tried contacting the other driver to see if he will cover the costs of your damage?

If his car is being financed, he is required to maintain insurance at all times otherwise the bank or financial institution will charge that person for their own insurance. *

Your insurance company should still cover the costs of your damage. *The only thing you should have to pay is your deductible, which you have to pay since you didn't purchase uninsured motorist coverage. *Contact your insurance company and see what they say. *Worst case you can always take the other driver to court.

gshock
05-23-2006, 04:01 PM
Thanks . will do that!

gshock
05-23-2006, 04:02 PM
I think it's his mom's car. it's not his name on the car!

Skiracer
05-23-2006, 05:45 PM
If he doenst' pay up, burn his house down

nurb2
05-23-2006, 05:58 PM
Did the cops issue the guy a citation for not having insurance?

Call one of those accident injury lawyers ... they will bend that loser over and make him scream.

-nurb2-

GP1-OZ
05-23-2006, 10:01 PM
If it's the guys mom's car, then you should be good. Get the estimate of what the repairs will cost and tell your insurance company to go after his mom. If it's in her name, she's ultimately responsible. (if the other driver is a minor, parents are responsible for losses unless the kid is emancipated)

You can file a civil suit to recover all your damages (including your deductible, rental car costs etc). If she doesnt have auto insurance, you can at least go after her in small claims court and get a judgement. Once you get the judgement, and if she owns a houseyou should be able to file a lien against her house (or other assets) to collect the judgement.

You might need a lawyer.

hardcoreracing
05-24-2006, 08:28 AM
If this accident involved injuries, I would definitely get a lawyer involved. Since it sounds like a minor accident with no injuries, I would try to recover your deductible and rental car costs yourself since the lawyer will take 1/3 of any settlement you get. You will need to get a copy of the police report. You can probably get this from your insurance company so you don't have to pay a fee.

I would do as GP1-OZ suggested and take his mom to civil court since she's the legal owner of the car. When you get your judgement the judge will ask his mom to pay for your deductible and rental car costs. If she cannot pay the whole thing the judge will allow her to make payments to you. If she cannot or won't make the payments then your last resort is to put a lien on her property. But keep in mind that by putting a lien on her property the only time you will see that money is if she sells or refinances the house.

Miss Evo8
05-24-2006, 08:35 AM
Have you tried contacting the other driver to see if he will cover the costs of your damage?

If his car is being financed, he is required to maintain insurance at all times otherwise the bank or financial institution will charge that person for their own insurance. *

Your insurance company should still cover the costs of your damage. *The only thing you should have to pay is your deductible, which you have to pay since you didn't purchase uninsured motorist coverage. *Contact your insurance company and see what they say. *Worst case you can always take the other driver to court.

+1

v8hater
05-24-2006, 09:08 AM
If you don't have UM and the other driver does not have insurance than you have to pay everything out of your own pocket. And then seek reimbustment later. You may not want to run up the bills too high because you may not get all of it back. Don't forget if they don't have the money to reimbust you the only thing you can due is file a lien, and god only knows when you are going to get money then.
Contact your insurance company but I don't think your insurance company will cover it.

As long as the driver mom has insurance you should be okay unless she has the other driver excluded on the policy. Then you would have to go after the driver and maybe the mom personal in court.

DTunedEvoX
05-24-2006, 09:19 AM
I dont understand why people skimp on there insurance policies?

P.S. Kimeletrim got me 2.1 million (Pesos) ...

gshock
05-24-2006, 11:21 AM
thanks guys for the replies

yes. it was a hard hit. and i got a lawer and go to hospital. etc.....

as for the other party.

it's a 03 car. and the driver didn't act like he has no Ins. so i don't know .

i just let my lawer takes care of everything.

thanks guys.

speedracer2169
05-27-2006, 09:26 PM
When i was working at the dealership more than half my clients carried expired insurance cards. They have current insurance but forget to put their current card in there wallet or in the car. He may just have forgot to carry his new card which would explain why he said not to worry. If you got his info and expired insurance info you should be able to call the insurance company and ask if he still has a policy with them.

BMan
05-27-2006, 11:41 PM
Have you talked to your carrier? I haven't lived in Cali for a while, but when I was there the Uninsured Motorist coverage was to cover the person who hit you that wasn't insured (for your protection). I know it sounds dumb. I had State Farm and they covered me when I got hit under those same conditions. The point of insurance is to cover the car for the leinholder first, then others.