PDA

View Full Version : Legislation to Bar Protesters From Military Funerals Heads to Bush's Desk

Terry S
05-25-2006, 08:16 AM
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,196940,00.html

Legislation to Bar Protesters From Military Funerals Heads to Bush's Desk

WASHINGTON — Demonstrators would be barred from disrupting military funerals at national cemeteries under legislation approved by Congress and sent to the White House Wednesday

The measure, passed by voice vote in the House hours after the Senate passed an amended version, specifically targets a Kansas church group that has staged protests at military funerals around the country, claiming that the deaths were a sign of God's anger at U.S. tolerance of homosexuals.

The act "will protect the sanctity of all 122 of our national cemeteries as shrines to their gallant dead," Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist, R-Tenn., said prior to the Senate vote.

"It's a sad but necessary measure to protect what should be recognized by all reasonable people as a solemn, private and deeply sacred occasion," he said.

Under the Senate bill, approved without objection by the House with no recorded vote, the "Respect for America's Fallen Heroes Act" would bar protests within 300 feet of the entrance of a cemetery and within 150 feet of a road into the cemetery from 60 minutes before to 60 minutes after a funeral. Those violating the act would face up to a $100,000 fine and up to a year in prison.

The sponsor of the House bill, Rep. Mike Rogers, R-Mich., said he took up the issue after attending a military funeral in his home state, where mourners were greeted by "chants and taunting and some of the most vile things I have ever heard."

"Families deserve the time to bury their American heroes with dignity and in peace," Rogers said Wednesday before the Hosue vote.

The demonstrators are led by the Rev. Fred Phelps of Topeka, Kan., who has previously organized protests against those who died of AIDS and gay murder victim Matthew Shepard.

In an interview when the House bill passed, Phelps said Congress was "blatantly violating the First Amendment" rights to free speech in passing the bill. He said that if the bill becomes law he will continue to demonstrate but would abide by the restrictions.

Sen. Pat Roberts, a Republican from Kansas, said the loved ones of those who die have already sacrificed for the nation and "we must allow them the right to mourn without being thrust into a political circus."

In response to the demonstrations, the Patriot Guard Riders, a motorcyle group including many veterans, has begun appearing at military funerals to pay respects to the fallen service member and protect the family from disruptions.

More than a dozen states are considering similar laws to restrict protests at nonfederal cemeteries. The American Civil Liberties Union has filed a lawsuit against a new Kentucky law, saying it goes too far in limiting freedom of speech and expression.

Bout damn time they did this. I hate these damn idiot Religious Fanatic Hippies. :tickedoff:

Terry S

Blaze
05-25-2006, 08:58 AM
Sounds like a good idea.
For crying out loud, let the dead lie.

True it's a violation of people rights, but c'mon....there's some common sense there too.
Still, I wonder (if it passed) if it would open the door to other civil rights violations?

Terry S
05-25-2006, 09:16 AM
Sounds like a good idea.
For crying out loud, let the dead lie.

True it's a violation of people rights, but c'mon....there's some common sense there too.
Still, I wonder (if it passed) if it would open the door to other civil rights violations?

That's what the ACLU thinks about the Kansas specific legislation... But then again the ACLU thinks the constitution and bill or rights are a violation of civil rights. :D

Terry S

Absinthe
05-25-2006, 11:49 AM
someone just needs to shoot that guy. there no more need for legislation.

Blaze
05-25-2006, 11:59 AM

:2funny:
That's your solution to everything!
(see below)

I was @ the movies the other day and the floor was all sticky. Somone behind me must have spilled their soda.

someone just needs to shoot that guy. there no more need for workers unions.

Terry S
05-25-2006, 12:40 PM

It's a whole congregation. They gather up like 20-50 people to protest every time.

Terry S

Absinthe
05-25-2006, 02:03 PM
Line them up in a row and use a high-caliber riffle then.

Dmoney
06-06-2006, 03:45 PM
I would be pissed if I attended my cousins funeral and found people protesting that he died because God was angry with him...fortunately he had a peaceful funeral, Killed In Action in Iraq...Rest in Peace Cuz,

Macky
06-06-2006, 04:55 PM

+1

sgtbadazzwife
07-13-2006, 11:41 AM

+1

+2 Amen to that!!