PDA

View Full Version : Relocate HVAC Controls

Macky
06-03-2006, 08:52 PM
This is just a rough guide based on a long-running idea of mine. Basically, for those who want to relocate their HVAC controls below in the 1-DIN cubby hole, this thread should give you an idea should sourcing out the actual JDM part is not a viable option.

There are a couple drawbacks. One is that this is all based on a working theory I have, and so far, none has attempted this. Please refer to this as a guide, nothing more. It will show you what parts are interchangeable from other models. the thing is, when you do relocate the HVAC, you still have the task of finding a 2-DIN upper dash cover (replacing the stock 1-DIN with the integrated HVAC controls). That, as of this writing, I do not know of an aftermarket unit. Again, only in the JDM market would you be able to source out one, since Navigation is an available option on JDM Evos. And to use that Navi system, JDM Evos can come equipped with a 2-DIN upper dash.

Second, the Montero (and JDM Evo) systems are equipped with AUTO climate controls. Now I do not know to what extent or detail of parts you need beyond the cosmetic ones to make this all work. Relocating the system is one thing. Getting it to properly work would be quite another.

To start...

Here is a comparison between the JDM Evo HVAC reloacted below (2nd pic that I took from a JDM Evo IX) and a US-sourced available counterpart, sourced from a Full-Size Mitsubishi Montero (1st pic).

Macky
06-03-2006, 08:55 PM
Now, should you be able to find a way to re-wire and relocate the existing Evo HVAC into using the Montero or JDM HVAC system, you would probably have a 2-DIN upper dash. If your radio is still a 1-DIN, you would need something that would fit below to fill that gap.

The (probable) solution is a part from a Mitsubishi Montero Sport. below is a pic of the dash, where a 1-DIN compartment (with cover) is located below the stock radio. This should fit fine below a stock Evo radio (or any 1-DIN counterpart) and cover the hole that would otherwise be there with a 2-DIN dash.

Macky
06-03-2006, 08:56 PM
Here are pics of the JDM optional parts.

The first one is the 2-DIN dash piece. 2nd is the 2-DIN NAVI. 3rd is the list of available 2-DIN systems that fit in the JDM Evo.

Macky
06-03-2006, 09:10 PM
Again, to reiterate, this HAS NOT BEEN done as of this writing. All Ive done so far is give it as an advice to people willing to give it a try. I think its doable, but its not something of urgency to me. Hence I personally am in no hurry to try it.

Any questions or feedbacks are welcome.

blkside
06-03-2006, 09:37 PM
And if I wasnt in this giant sandbox you know I would do it...Its still a lil sedate for what I was talking about but I think I will be able to fab it once I get home...I will have the dash I want. Thanks for the responses to my Q's Macky...appreciate it....

Macky
06-03-2006, 09:42 PM
And if I wasnt in this giant sandbox you know I would do it...Its still a lil sedate for what I was talking about but I think I will be able to fab it once I get home...I will have the dash I want. Thanks for the responses to my Q's Macky...appreciate it....

no problem bro. glad to have been of help O0

MI-4 EVO
06-04-2006, 02:24 PM
I looked at doing this about a year ago. I could get the HVAC controls from japanparts.com for $325.00 (based on that days exchange rate). I'm willing to bet that getting them to work is more hassle than we expect.

blkside
06-04-2006, 02:32 PM
Hassle or not...thats what being unique is all about. I actually dont think I am gonna need to use a JDM Part. Just the housing out of the Montero. I like to Fab so when i get home I will try and let everyone know...catch me in a couple months.

Terry S
06-05-2006, 03:34 PM
Someone feel like getting a price on the HVAC controls for the Montero?

Terry S

blkside
06-05-2006, 03:41 PM
Just jack em out of Macky's montero....lol...Can someone tell me what the back of the controls look like...it should just be regular quick release plugs....if thats the case it would be easier to just rewire it then wire in a new system....

drunk monkey
06-05-2006, 03:47 PM
i think you need to source the jdm heater core and blower in the dash. as they have motors to control the vents open and closing, ect. and since the jdm ones are rhd i dont thnk its gonna work unless you transfer over just the electronics.

Carlo

Raine3D
06-05-2006, 04:01 PM
all i know is its a pain in the ass when they have it all runing thru the streio and crap on a stock system. My murono has something like this. It has a display showing the degrees and such on a screen. There has been no way for me to change this CD player out to an aftermarket player becasue of this.
After seeing waht i would have to go through on the murono I think this would be one pain in the ass conversion to do it on the Evo

blkside
06-05-2006, 04:04 PM
I personally am not looking to convert it just relocate..thats just one of the options Macky and I were looking at...

Raine3D
06-05-2006, 04:06 PM
Do these parts have to come from Japan? I mean are they also in the UK market or no ?

drunk monkey
06-05-2006, 04:08 PM
i found this on evom

http://forums.evolutionm.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=81797&stc=1

uses the manual one and relocates to the cuby.

heres the thread. kinda pricey though. http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthread.php?t=194844&highlight=double+din

Carlo

Raine3D
06-05-2006, 04:11 PM
Is that from a mold or custom made ?

drunk monkey
06-05-2006, 04:17 PM
i think its a custom made piece that has been mass produced. at 300 dollars i think you get the double din for the radio and the lower cuby also. but 300 is still quite alot of money.

Carlo

Macky
06-05-2006, 04:18 PM
Do these parts have to come from Japan? I mean are they also in the UK market or no ?

the evo's parts are probably available in the UK as well

Raine3D
06-05-2006, 04:33 PM
Well if they cheaper in the UK I have mass family there and I will be going shortly. Sure i can get some info

blkside
06-05-2006, 04:51 PM
I PM'd rich...about just the AC piece cause I dont want double din...and the UK VIII have them in the same place as us but the FQ340 have them in the JDM location....

http://uk.search.cars.yahoo.com/bin/search/photos_gallery_uk/cars/?p=eventnames:cars05_photos+Mitsubishi+Evo+VIII&b=24

indianevodriver
06-05-2006, 06:04 PM
I just saw these pics on Evo M. Maybe someone could ask the owner of that car how hard it was for him to relocate.
http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthread.php?t=193468

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/11/web/695000-695999/695722_151_full.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/11/web/695000-695999/695722_152_full.jpg

blkside
06-05-2006, 06:13 PM
Thats is the owner...thats rich from Orbital...they have a AC relocation kit but that isnt what started this conversation...I wanna fab a dash piece that has Radio on top/ Gauges right below it and the AC on the bottom...he wants 300 for that whole double din kit and he hasnt got back to me on selling the AC piece separately so in the mean time I will look into fabbing one.

trinydex
06-08-2006, 05:06 PM
all you have to do is buy the orbital piece and then put put the radio in and fill in the gauge area.

blkside
06-08-2006, 05:48 PM
Yeah rich finally got back to me...he wants 175 just for the AC relocate piece. I found what I am looking for so I am happy . I may still fab a stereo over gauge dash