PDA

View Full Version : CHP has greater authority?

thisxguy
06-04-2006, 07:58 PM
hey. my friend told me that the CHP has more authority than city police. for example, only CHP can give you a ticket on the freeway and city police can ONLY give you tickets when you're on city streets. and only the CHP can make you pop your hood.

di3g
06-04-2006, 09:32 PM
I doubt it...I've been pooled over by a city cop on the freeway before. I wasn't speeding or anything he stopped my because of my exhaust.

thisxguy
06-04-2006, 09:42 PM
my friend said that a city cop can pull you over...but he has no authority to give you a citation...it's out of their jurisdiction or something.

my friend was pulled over on the freeway by a city cop and the cop told him to exit at the next exit then pull over...and then the cop gave him the ticket on the city street.

akb469
06-06-2006, 12:44 PM
CHP has greater authority because they can pull you over anywhere in CA. Local police can pull you over in the city limit since they are city police. However, any police can pull you over anytime or anyplace.

Racing Chick
06-06-2006, 12:46 PM
This is an interesting bit of info.

thisxguy
06-06-2006, 12:57 PM
CHP has greater authority because they can pull you over anywhere in CA. Local police can pull you over in the city limit since they are city police. However, any police can pull you over anytime or anyplace.

any police can pull you over any time....but city police can only give citations on city streets in their city.

ebevo
06-06-2006, 04:59 PM
my friend said that a city cop can pull you over...but he has no authority to give you a citation...it's out of their jurisdiction or something.

my friend was pulled over on the freeway by a city cop and the cop told him to exit at the next exit then pull over...and then the cop gave him the ticket on the city street.

what if your friend refused/comply to pull over at the next exit like the city cop asked?

does that mean no ticket?

NMREJ6
06-06-2006, 05:04 PM
i saw a LAPD officer on a bike pull someone over on the freeway yesterday and was writing the guy a ticket. :?

thisxguy
06-06-2006, 05:31 PM

what if your friend refused/comply to pull over at the next exit like the city cop asked?

i guess the city cop can call in for a chp and he'll give you a ticket...i dunno...the cops will find some gay way to get you.

thisxguy
06-06-2006, 05:32 PM
i saw a LAPD officer on a bike pull someone over on the freeway yesterday and was writing the guy a ticket. :?

interesting..well, i dont know if what i'm saying is 100% true...i broght it here to see if anyone else knows.

changvd
06-07-2006, 04:42 AM
My friends who are LAPD and CHP say CHP has jurisdiction all over state and LAPD has jurisdiction only in Los Angeles county. LAPD can give you a ticket on both the freeway and city streets. If you violated the law in L.A. county, the officer can still follow you all the way into a different county and still write you a citation.

Bills Evo
06-07-2006, 05:49 AM
OK. Here's the real poop. CHP have authority everywhere in Calif. Sheriff have authority in their county. Police have authority within the city limits of their city only. Bill

thisxguy
06-07-2006, 11:07 AM
thanks guys.

i still dont like cops
=)

MrBubbler
06-07-2006, 03:14 PM
who else keeps dunkin doughnuts in business...

G20
06-07-2006, 03:29 PM

This is a contradiction statement.

BlueBooster
06-15-2006, 09:15 PM

No. That means they get on the radio and call for CHP ground and air backup and you are toast in less than 10 mins...

jase
07-06-2006, 07:12 PM
well damn, was over at the chinese theater in hollywood... some CHP pulled a tsx over, and traffic just happens to make me stop right next to the CHP..
guess wat... CHP officer walk over to my car and look at it, and found one of my passenger in the rear not wearing a seat belt.. therefore my passenger got a
ticket for not wearing seat belt... and it cost $87......... so fucking BS ...

thisxguy
07-06-2006, 09:05 PM
that sucks

cops hate us

drmosh
07-06-2006, 09:34 PM
There is a lot of assuming and misinformation in this thread... please do research before you post:

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/displaycode?section=veh&group=02001-03000&file=2400-2429.5

In summary: CHP has full jurisdiction with the capacity of allowing local police jurisdication in large urban areas... but don't take my word for it... read the whole thing below:

(d) The commissioner shall have full responsibility and primary
jurisdiction for the administration and enforcement of the laws, and
for the investigation of traffic accidents, on all toll highways and
state highways constructed as freeways, including transit-related
facilities located on or along the rights-of-way of those toll
highways or freeways, except facilities of the San Francisco Bay Area
Rapid Transit District. However, city police officers while engaged
primarily in general law enforcement duties may incidentally enforce
state and local traffic laws and ordinances on toll highways and
state freeways within incorporated areas of the state. In any city
having either a population in excess of 2,000,000 or an area of more
than 300 square miles, city police officers shall have full
responsibility and primary jurisdiction for the administration and
enforcement of those laws and ordinances, unless the city council of
the city by resolution requests administration and enforcement of
those laws by the commissioner.
(e) The commissioner shall have full responsibility and primary
for the investigation of traffic accidents, on all highways within a
city and county with a population of less than 25,000, if, at the
time the city and county government is established, the county
contains no municipal corporations.

thisxguy
07-06-2006, 09:57 PM
so, chp can do whatever they like...am i right?

ebevo
07-07-2006, 08:26 AM
well damn, was over at the chinese theater in hollywood... some CHP pulled a tsx over, and traffic just happens to make me stop right next to the CHP..
guess wat... CHP officer walk over to my car and look at it, and found one of my passenger in the rear not wearing a seat belt.. therefore my passenger got a
ticket for not wearing seat belt... and it cost $87......... so fucking BS ...

at least it wasn't you that got the ticket...but non the less that CHP officer is the type that would probably kick a person when down...shameless

Terry S
07-07-2006, 04:40 PM
There is a lot of assuming and misinformation in this thread... please do research before you post:

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/displaycode?section=veh&group=02001-03000&file=2400-2429.5

In summary: CHP has full jurisdiction with the capacity of allowing local police jurisdication in large urban areas... but don't take my word for it... read the whole thing below:

(d) The commissioner shall have full responsibility and primary
for the investigation of traffic accidents, on all toll highways and
state highways constructed as freeways, including transit-related
facilities located on or along the rights-of-way of those toll
highways or freeways, except facilities of the San Francisco Bay Area
Rapid Transit District. However, city police officers while engaged
primarily in general law enforcement duties may incidentally enforce
state and local traffic laws and ordinances on toll highways and
state freeways within incorporated areas of the state. In any city
having either a population in excess of 2,000,000 or an area of more
than 300 square miles, city police officers shall have full
responsibility and primary jurisdiction for the administration and
enforcement of those laws and ordinances, unless the city council of
the city by resolution requests administration and enforcement of
those laws by the commissioner.
(e) The commissioner shall have full responsibility and primary
for the investigation of traffic accidents, on all highways within a
city and county with a population of less than 25,000, if, at the
time the city and county government is established, the county
contains no municipal corporations.

Um... I think what your quoting there says that the CHP has less authority because they only have authority "on all toll highways and state highways constructed as freeways, including transit-related facilities located on or along the rights-of-way of those toll highways or freeways, except facilities of the San Francisco Bay Area Rapid Transit District. "

But City police have authority if the city/town is under 25k in population. Basically, CHP has authority over freeways & city police have authority everywhere else. Sheriffs have authority everywhere so they can technically do more than either, but unfortunatly for them, they have to turn over whatever they got to whoever has authority in that area.

Terry S

thisxguy
07-07-2006, 06:10 PM
hm...i tried reading that section...but it wasnt registering in my head beacuse i was sleepy. haha

909Evo
07-07-2006, 07:10 PM
Terry S

You sorta got it right. As a deputy you can enforce any law, in any area of the county. However, if a city is incorporated, and has their own police department, they will patrol their own city. If there is an unincorporated area in the city, we will patrol that area as well.

Its kinda goofy, if you look at a grid map of a city, there will be little pockets of area inside the jurisdiction of the city that the deputies will still patrol.

And to make matters more confusing, most cities now a days do not want to foot the bill or deal with the hassle of a PD once the city becomes incorporated. Instead they sign a contract with the county, said county then provides law enforcement in the incorporated city for a fat fee. So you may see a deputy, with deputy patches, in a deputy unit, but the door says "Police"

In short.
Deputies are a one man riot, what they say goes. For the most part they control the streets with more respect than PD's, and WAY more than a chipie. And they are the one's who run the jails, so most people know, you fight a cop, you fight a cop, you fight a dep, you fight a dep every day your in jail for the rest of your life.

Pd= Pretend Deputy
and CHP= Can't handle patrol.

thisxguy
07-07-2006, 07:15 PM
some of this stuff is too confusing right now. i'll come back in a little to re-read it. haha. time to eat...lol

evo8kiko05
07-07-2006, 09:13 PM
Just a Warning, dont go to Moreno Valley with Modified Exhaust,* I just got popped for a fixit ticket on the 28 Jun.* I did'nt even argue just to save me the hassle.* *The cop said that it is zero tolerance on modified exhaust!!!!* I was so pissed!!

thisxguy
07-07-2006, 09:20 PM
so...you cant even have legal after market exhausts?

thats gay. i dont know anyone there...so i have no business there =P

drmosh
07-14-2006, 07:11 PM
Actually, if you read it and decipher it... it SEEMS that CHP has less authority in large urban areas, but that's actually not true... CHP is "letting" the large urban area police... like LA Police take "priority" over in large urban areas like downtown Los Angeles, etc. CHP has authority and jurisdiction inside the entire state, they are the "State Police" of California.

There is actually another police "agreement" that's not easy to find that most people don't know about. Law enforcement officers in California have "state jurisdiction", that means in most events, if an officer of overriding jurisdiction is not available they can enforce the law; for example: a cop from San Diego can arrest you in Bakersfield if necessary. The officer can in his right also write you a ticket for something like modified exhaust, but out of operating courtesy, they usually phone in to local dispatch to have someone of the local jurisdiction take care of the issue.

CubanEvo
08-18-2006, 07:41 PM
I study criminal justice and have been doing so for quite some time and this is actually a topic that was brought up in one of the classes very early. Any cops has the right to pull you over anyplace they want. It can be LAPD pullin you over in santa ana and he can write you a ticket. THe reason alot of them dont is because since you are not in their city you have to go to the court house in the city you were pulled over in and they dont have the information to give you where that is at. And they are required by law to tell you which court house you have to go

thisxguy
08-18-2006, 10:33 PM
so if a cop from another city pulls me over and i can ask him which court i am supposed to go to, and he cant answer me...does that mean that i get let off? lol

Ricardon
08-18-2006, 10:38 PM
so if a cop from another city pulls me over and i can ask him which court i am supposed to go to, and he cant answer me...does that mean that i get let off?Â* lol

Nah, would'nt happen ike that. If they did'nt know which court you are supposed to go to, they would very likely not pull you over unless you were being totally wreckless. In which case they would more than likely stop you, then call in the local dept. to cite you.

thisxguy
08-18-2006, 10:43 PM
gay. well, i wouldnt be reckless anyways

evobeaner
08-18-2006, 10:59 PM
thats what i thought until a lapd car pulled me off the freeway and gave me a ticket for crossing out of the carpool lane.
the crappy part was that i only crossed the line with my rear wheels!!!

thisxguy
08-18-2006, 11:01 PM
how did you cross it with your rear wheels only? did you power slide or something? lol

evobeaner
08-18-2006, 11:20 PM
how did you cross it with your rear wheels only? did you power slide or something? lol
actually got out of the carpool lane. will edit post.
i think the only reason they got me was that a female officer was being trained at the time.
she was asking the male cop what to do next!

thisxguy
08-18-2006, 11:22 PM
yeah...i hear that you rarely get let off if one is being trained. happened to me also =/