PDA

View Full Version : Chevy has announced...

Sir Lancer Lot
06-06-2006, 10:47 AM
Looks like the Z06 is not fast enough so Chevy announced in 2008 they will bring out the Z06 R. Should have more than 600HP. Let's see how many people kill themselves, hahaha. I'm going to get one!

Macky
06-06-2006, 10:50 AM
the new Snake is rumored to be around 600+hp so i assume Chevy will have to folow suit

Skiracer
06-06-2006, 10:54 AM
Looks like the Z06 is not fast enough so Chevy announced in 2008 they will bring out the Z06 R. Should have more than 600HP. Let's see how many people kill themselves, hahaha. I'm going to get one!

I thought i read somewhere that new Z06 will be around $100K

thisxguy
06-06-2006, 10:59 AM
american companies need to figure out how to make their cars handle better and weigh less :2funny:

[p]dOG.
06-06-2006, 11:05 AM
If i'm not mistaken the new Z06 is lighter than a GSR.

silvery_eagle
06-06-2006, 11:10 AM
dOG. ]

and faster .... if you watched top gear... it is faster than Zonda, and F430

*chris*
06-06-2006, 11:28 AM
plastic pigs ....i wont argue its not a performer, but i still dont like vettes....

airforce1
06-06-2006, 11:29 AM
american companies need to figure out how to make their cars handle better and weigh less :2funny:

wouldn't a decent set of coilovers make it better? *Maybe I just don't hear much about aftermarket suspension stuff for vettes

rino
06-06-2006, 11:49 AM
i'd switch to a z06 if i could afford one in a heartbeat

*chris*
06-06-2006, 12:12 PM
id much rather have one of these prodrive p2s ....like the post below this. :drool:

Absinthe
06-06-2006, 01:21 PM

You sure about that?

The Z06 is one of the few cars on the road that got both lighter and more powerful with its latest edition. Its 600lbs lighter than a 911turbo, 900lbs lighter than an s4, and give or take 200lbs lighter than: an EVO, an sti, an M3. Shit its barely more than 50% heavier than a an elise and has 250% more power.

Chris in SD
06-06-2006, 01:41 PM
For me to take the Vette seriously as a buying proposition, I'd need a few things:

1) A GOOD interior. The current one is OK, but for $65K+, it should be as good as my Audi (or at least as good as a Subie Legacy).

2) Ditch the leaf spring. Enough said there.

3) Ditch the 1-4 skip shift and just eat the CAFE penalty. BMW, Porsche, AMG-Mercedes, etc. all do it since their cars would suffer otherwise. I'd pay the extra few hundred $$ to avoid it.

Not hard things to fix. If the current Z06 had those things, I would have SERIOUSLY considered one. The only American I really lust after right now is the Charger SRT-8... in black, please.

GokuSSJ4
06-06-2006, 01:49 PM
dOG. ]

any links ?

GokuSSJ4
06-06-2006, 01:53 PM
whats the difference between the regular charger and the SRT 8 ?
here is a pic you would love Chris
which reminds me, i saw one of this but it look like a wagon
http://www.dodge.com/autoshow/img/gallery/enlarge/charger_srt8/charger_gallery_03.jpg

Chris in SD
06-06-2006, 01:57 PM
here is a pic you would love* Chris
http://www.dodge.com/autoshow/img/gallery/enlarge/charger_srt8/charger_gallery_03.jpg

That's exactly it, Tomas... Black SRT-8 Charger - HOT.

The SRT-8 has 425 hp, bigger brakes, better interior, etc. Kind of like the AMG of Chrysler/Dodge. That thing is badass - I saw one behind me in Cali before I came out to VA. There are companies that can mod them to 600+ hp.

GokuSSJ4
06-06-2006, 02:07 PM
here is a pic you would love Chris

The SRT-8 has 425 hp, bigger brakes, better interior, etc. Kind of like the AMG of Chrysler/Dodge. That thing is badass - I saw one behind me in Cali before I came out to VA. There are companies that can mod them to 600+ hp.

i can imagine, but do they make a wagon srt8?

GokuSSJ4
06-06-2006, 02:12 PM
i guess they do, since i saw one not to long ago but in black
2006 Dodge Magnum SRT-8 4dr Wagon (6.1L 8cyl 5A)

2006 Dodge Magnum SRT-8 4dr Wagon
http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com//pictures/VEHICLE/2006/Dodge/100536499/20024918-E.jpg

Miss Evo8
06-06-2006, 02:16 PM
BOO!!!!

:mitsu:

GokuSSJ4
06-06-2006, 02:18 PM
BOO!!!!

hu? getting ready to delete your post

Miss Evo8
06-06-2006, 02:22 PM
BOO!!!!

Why! Im Booing that car u posted!

GokuSSJ4
06-06-2006, 02:23 PM
BOO!!!!

bah!
you should get one

Miss Evo8
06-06-2006, 02:27 PM
BOO!!!!

bah!
you should get one

Noooo another Evo!

silvery_eagle
06-06-2006, 02:40 PM
dOG. ]

any links ?

if you do bit torrent....
http://www.mininova.org/tor/323303

Chris in SD
06-06-2006, 03:02 PM
Noooo another Evo!

There are other cars out there besides Evos... :laugh:

Tomas - You keep answering your own questions... LOL

Macky
06-06-2006, 03:04 PM
Noooo another Evo!

he talks to himself a lot.

GokuSSJ4
06-06-2006, 03:12 PM
Noooo another Evo!

There are other cars out there besides Evos... :laugh:

you didnt answer in time so i decide to use google.
an yes! there are other cars besides Evos

GokuSSJ4
06-06-2006, 03:12 PM
Noooo another Evo!

he talks to himself a lot.

bah!

EVO Neil
06-06-2006, 03:46 PM
dOG. ]

In fact it is lighter by about 100 pounds.

Absinthe
06-06-2006, 03:56 PM
Evo Neil related correction only 100lbs lighter than a GSR.

Senshi
06-06-2006, 06:30 PM
the Z06 is "only" 100lbs lighter but it also has an extra 250hp. i think the Magnum SRT8 is actually pritty sweet personally its not my type of car but if you need a car to say, tow your evo to the track it sure would be pritty sweet.

Chris in SD
06-06-2006, 06:40 PM
I only want that Charger SRT-8 because it looks so damn badass and it would be fun to do 300-foot burnouts... :twisted:

rino
06-06-2006, 06:44 PM
damn Chris in SD your list of things to upgrade the z06 will pretty much make it a no brainer but you say you'll consider it lol

you crazy guy

Z06R is what I assume the "blue devil" is? i'm not that old, so fk luxury and more speed! z06r will probably be my next car, for reals. Slap on some drag radials or slicks and here I come high 10s and low 11s, BONE STOCK. haha :)

Chris in SD
06-06-2006, 06:56 PM
damn Chris in SD your list of things to upgrade the z06 will pretty much make it a no brainer but you say you'll consider it lol

I would consider it because $65K is a lot of money to spend and I would have to be SURE that the Z06 is what I wanted. The reason I mentioned those fixes was because they are things I can't believe Chevy hasn't fixed. If you see the shifter in the automatic, it's the SAME ONE as in my old boss' 1986 Vette. No joke...

darkevo
06-06-2006, 07:04 PM
dOG. ]

In fact it is lighter by about 100 pounds.

Only?* That was probably by removing 2 doors and making it a 2 door coupe!! lol* It's nice the EVO can beat many coupes, but one of the reasons I got it cause it had 4 doors!* I think I like the CTS-V coupe over the vette...

GokuSSJ4
06-07-2006, 12:02 AM

I would consider it because $65K is a lot of money to spend and I would have to be SURE that the Z06 is what I wanted. The reason I mentioned those fixes was because they are things I can't believe Chevy hasn't fixed. If you see the shifter in the automatic, it's the SAME ONE as in my old boss' 1986 Vette. No joke...

get the damn car already !!! LOL
what ever happen to purchasing your GT3

Miss Evo8
06-07-2006, 09:36 AM
get one of these!

Absinthe
06-07-2006, 09:37 AM
I'd rather have a 400hp GT-3 over a 600hp vette...

that vette though is reputed to be a blown Z06 or atleast that was the roumor a while back, think with an exhaust, pullies, and a chip 700? 750? 800hp could easily be possible

silvery_eagle
06-07-2006, 09:46 AM
dont forget there's a thread which a corvett's roof fly away during driving lol

Absinthe
06-07-2006, 10:25 AM
yeah and one about an evo with a blown motor at 6k miles.... :roll:

slow_evo
06-07-2006, 10:47 AM
For me to take the Vette seriously as a buying proposition, I'd need a few things:

1) A GOOD interior. The current one is OK, but for $65K+, it should be as good as my Audi (or at least as good as a Subie Legacy).

3) Ditch the 1-4 skip shift and just eat the CAFE penalty. BMW, Porsche, AMG-Mercedes, etc. all do it since their cars would suffer otherwise. I'd pay the extra few hundred $$ to avoid it.

Not hard things to fix. If the current Z06 had those things, I would have SERIOUSLY considered one. The only American I really lust after right now is the Charger SRT-8... in black, please.

The C6 vette has independent rear suspension.

leaveit2bevo
06-07-2006, 11:02 AM

whats the cafe penalty?

indianevodriver
06-07-2006, 11:33 AM
What is CAFE?

Corporate Average Fuel Economy (CAFE) is the sales weighted average fuel economy, expressed in miles per gallon (mpg), of a manufacturer’s fleet of passenger cars or light trucks with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 8,500 lbs. or less, manufactured for sale in the United States, for any given model year. Fuel economy is defined as the average mileage traveled by an automobile per gallon of gasoline (or equivalent amount of other fuel) consumed as measured in accordance with the testing and evaluation protocol set forth by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).

What is the penalty for not meeting CAFE requirements for any given model year (MY)?

The penalty for failing to meet CAFE standards recently increased from $5.00 to $5.50 per tenth of a mile per gallon for each tenth under the target value times the total volume of those vehicles manufactured for a given model year.

Since 1983, manufacturers have paid more than $500 million in civil penalties. Most European manufacturers regularly pay CAFE civil penalties ranging from less than $1 million to more than $20 million annually. Asian and domestic manufacturers have never paid a civil penalty.

For MY 2002, five passenger car fleets including BMW, DaimlerChrysler import, Fiat, Lotus, and Porsche are projected to fail to meet 27.5 mpg passenger car CAFE standard. In addition, two light truck fleets including BMW and Volkswagen will likely fail to meet the light truck CAFE standard of 20.7 mpg. Final Reports for MY 2002 provided by the EPA to NHTSA in mid-calendar year of 2003 may adjust these projections favorably.

thisxguy
06-08-2006, 11:32 AM
i heard that the vettes have a driver/passenger weight limit of 600lbs or something.* can anyone verify?

i wonder what kind of MPG those 600hp beasts will have...and i wonder how they'll do with smog. haha

rino
06-08-2006, 11:40 AM
where do you "hear" these things?

thisxguy
06-08-2006, 11:45 AM
a friend told me that one

WavMixer
06-08-2006, 12:06 PM
here is a pic you would love* Chris

The SRT-8 has 425 hp, bigger brakes, better interior, etc.* Kind of like the AMG of Chrysler/Dodge.* That thing is badass - I saw one behind me in Cali before I came out to VA.* There are companies that can mod them to 600+ hp.
The charger looks to much like a salesmans Chrysler 300. I want a Challenger when they come out:

http://wavmixer.com/evo/challenger.jpg

thisxguy
06-08-2006, 12:23 PM
challenger is more old school muscle car.

too bad it's highly unlikely that i'm going to buy myself an american car.

WavMixer
06-08-2006, 12:42 PM
challenger is more old school muscle car.

too bad it's highly unlikely that i'm going to buy myself an american car.
I guess that I'm just an old school kinda guy. I used to own one of the original Challengers.

http://wavmixer.com/challenger/1112_006.jpg
http://wavmixer.com/challenger/1112_059.jpg

thisxguy
06-08-2006, 12:47 PM
nice...the new ones look good though. but i'm iffy when it comes to buying american cars.

Chris in SD
06-08-2006, 01:28 PM

I didn't say it didn't have an independent rear suspension. I said to ditch the leaf spring...

Chris in SD
06-08-2006, 01:30 PM
what ever happen to purchasing your GT3

Happy Birthday, Tomas!

To answer your question, if I move back to CA, then I'll get the GT3 as a treat to myself. Otherwise I am done buying cars for a while, esp. while I am in VA.

And to your wife, uh, I mean Miss Evo 8, I actually like the Fit (just not in pink). O0

silvery_eagle
06-08-2006, 01:33 PM
just saw one myself yesterday (FIT - sports)
quite nice O0...

smokd
06-08-2006, 01:34 PM
dude that new challenger looks badass... i juss wish american cars are more effing reliable man... haha i dont want the damn hood flyin off at 120 mph (corvette... roof...) enough said

slow_evo
06-08-2006, 06:44 PM

I didn't say it didn't have an independent rear suspension. I said to ditch the leaf spring...

They have not used leaf springs in the rear since the early '90s. They are coils...what's the point of have IRS but w/leaf springs? Hell even Tahoes have coils in the rear.

blkside
06-08-2006, 07:05 PM
The challenger is gorgeous I dont know if I like the real lights...looks kinda plain and I doubt I will buy american again...

Chris in SD
06-08-2006, 07:10 PM

I didn't say it didn't have an independent rear suspension.* I said to ditch the leaf spring...

They have not used leaf springs in the rear since the early '90s.*

Dude, I hate to ram it down your throat, but...*

This is from this page http://www.corvettemuseum.com/specs/2005/index.shtml* :

Suspension. None of the suspension bits has been carried over from C5. The short-long arm and transverse leaf spring independent suspension configuration remains, but the cradles, control arms, knuckles, springs, dampers, bushings, stabilizer bars, and steering gear are all redesigned. The Extended Mobility Tires (EMT) also are new, taking advantage of the latest sidewall design and compound technology for run-flat capabilities, and play a critical role in the tuning of the suspension for excellent handling and comfortable ride.

They are coils...what's the point of have IRS but w/leaf springs?* Hell even Tahoes have coils in the rear.

This is exactly why I had the "get rid of the leaf spring" on the list in the first place... And it is ONE leaf spring - transverse (i.e. across the rear axle line).

gofaster87
06-08-2006, 07:24 PM
Dodges are crap and vettes are king. Comon Chris, you should know this.

Chris in SD
06-08-2006, 07:38 PM

I left my gold chains and midlife crisis somewhere... :coolsmiley:

gofaster87
06-08-2006, 07:46 PM

If you want to worry about image than you probably should have never owned an evo. You cant tell me the evo doesnt carry around an image as bad if not worse than a vette owner.

Chris in SD
06-08-2006, 07:49 PM

If you want to worry about image than you probably should have never owned an evo. You cant tell me the evo doesnt carry around an image as bad if not worse than a vette owner.

I'm just messing around. The reasons I don't (and won't) own a Vette were in my list of fixes... I appreciate any car for its style/performance/etc. without worrying about the image it presents. It's always the dickhead behind the wheel, not the car itself.

gofaster87
06-08-2006, 08:07 PM

I'm just messing around. The reasons I don't (and won't) own a Vette were in my list of fixes... I appreciate any car for its style/performance/etc. without worrying about the image it presents. It's always the dickhead behind the wheel, not the car itself.

I do agree about the interior. Chevy never did have their shit together on interior design. I have a silverado and the seats are shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiity.

slow_evo
06-08-2006, 09:12 PM

They have not used leaf springs in the rear since the early '90s.

Dude, I hate to ram it down your throat, but...

This is from this page http://www.corvettemuseum.com/specs/2005/index.shtml :

Suspension. None of the suspension bits has been carried over from C5. The short-long arm and transverse leaf spring independent suspension configuration remains, but the cradles, control arms, knuckles, springs, dampers, bushings, stabilizer bars, and steering gear are all redesigned. The Extended Mobility Tires (EMT) also are new, taking advantage of the latest sidewall design and compound technology for run-flat capabilities, and play a critical role in the tuning of the suspension for excellent handling and comfortable ride.

They are coils...what's the point of have IRS but w/leaf springs? Hell even Tahoes have coils in the rear.

This is exactly why I had the "get rid of the leaf spring" on the list in the first place... And it is ONE leaf spring - transverse (i.e. across the rear axle line).

I stand corrected, thank you for clearing that up for me. It still makes no sense to me why GM does that but I guess that's why they are losing millions of dollars every quarter.

Chris in SD
06-09-2006, 03:25 AM
Yeah, man, I didn't want to be a dick, but that F'in leaf spring annoys the crap out of me. Every review says they've got it tuned to a science, but I guess saving $800/car is worth avoiding modern technology. In some other thread, I made the point that if leaf springs were so bad-ass, why doesn't every race car in the world use them? You're right, Chevy/GM is losing customers by not addressing their shitty interiors, cost-cutting BS, etc. The thing is, if the Corvette design team even looked at a car like the Hyundai Tiburon for interior inspiration (or even a Scion tC), they'd be better than they are now.

Like I said earlier, the shifter in the automatic Vette is the same one EXACTLY from the mid-'80s... Go check it out.

ultraflip
06-09-2006, 06:32 AM
You're right, Chevy/GM is losing customers by not addressing their shitty interiors, cost-cutting BS, etc.

isn't mitsubishi on the same boat? i mean... look at our interiors in the evo

silvery_eagle
06-09-2006, 04:40 PM
not exactly the same.... Chevy/GM wants to build a "super car" ... if they want to do the best, at least make the interior up to par with what the car costs... it's a beautiful car on the outside, great engine, and we've seen how it performs... if the interior is not a place someone wants to be, i dont think it would be as successful...

(is it because of issues with the environmentalist for using leather shit?)

evo is just ugly in general people's eye...

Chris in SD
06-09-2006, 06:20 PM
You're right, Chevy/GM is losing customers by not addressing their shitty interiors, cost-cutting BS, etc.

Evos are meant to be performance cars, full stop. No cost cutting - check out the Recaros, Brembos, Enkeis (or BBS), use of carbon fiber, aluminum, magnesium, etc. Mitsu put the money where it matters most. When Chevy makes the Vette their halo car, they sell the customer short with their shitty materials (check out the radio and instrument panel on a Corvette). Hell, even my GTI has a better interior than a Vette. If you check the plastics of a G35 for example vs. the Vette, it's no contest...

fusionchicken
06-09-2006, 11:13 PM

Evos are meant to be performance cars, full stop. No cost cutting - check out the Recaros, Brembos, Enkeis (or BBS), use of carbon fiber, aluminum, magnesium, etc. Mitsu put the money where it matters most. When Chevy makes the Vette their halo car, they sell the customer short with their shitty materials (check out the radio and instrument panel on a Corvette). Hell, even my GTI has a better interior than a Vette. If you check the plastics of a G35 for example vs. the Vette, it's no contest...

plus the Evo cost half of the c6z.

wj4
06-09-2006, 11:21 PM
i cant see anyone in a 'vette unless theyre in their late 40s or older having a mid life crisis, hehe.

and yes that new z06 is very light, contrary to the traditional view of american cars are bulky and heavy.

Chris in SD
06-10-2006, 06:43 AM

EXACTLY - If Evos can have Momo steering wheel, Enkeis, Recaro seats, etc. etc. then WTF is wrong with GM to cut corners on their top-line cars?

GokuSSJ4
06-10-2006, 07:14 AM

EXACTLY - If Evos can have Momo steering wheel, Enkeis, Recaro seats, etc. etc. then WTF is wrong with GM to cut corners on their top-line cars?

its the American way,,,

E V O L W O N
06-10-2006, 07:43 AM
for me its the jeep commander srt-8, 0-60 in 4.8 seconds. Thats a quick for a huge boxy POS. :D

Miss Evo8
06-10-2006, 08:54 AM

american car manufacturers are lame...all they care about is big HP #s and nothing for the way a car handles...I would consider an American car but they all suck! The "coolest" car we have is a Vette...and even then it handles like ass!