PDA

View Full Version : First upgrades?

taben
06-07-2006, 06:17 PM
I've had my EvoVIII about 3 months and I want to start out clean with the mods. I was told to start with all the safety upgrades i.e. intercooler and such so that when I add the HP mods I already have the safety angled. I originally wanted to start with Turbo back exhaust, including test pipe, Intake Manifold and maybe Cams/Cam gears. Any suggestions?

thisxguy
06-07-2006, 06:27 PM
it depends what you want out of your car.

taben
06-07-2006, 06:30 PM
I would like to have 400whp and be done with the mods but I'm sure i will get bored with that after awhile. It's my daily driver and I do a lot of driving to Arizona from San Diego. I would like the HP increase but don't wanna damage anything.

thisxguy
06-07-2006, 06:34 PM
hm. SD to Arizona...thats really far. lol.

you simply want 400whp?
are you going to track this car or something?

have you checked the Dr. Grays stages? it is what most of the guys here are running.

evomrguy
06-07-2006, 08:09 PM
Start with a turbo back exhaust, a boost controller, and some sort of fuel control device. Any turbo back will suit you fine as long as it doesnt rub and is a straight through design you will make power just fine, pick one more on what you want to see/hear everyday. Any bosst controller will do, alot of the guys like the cost of the dejon tool manual controller cause it works and costs next to nothing, but if a manual controller is not for you and you want something nicer, the electronic greddy type s is quite good it works well and you can adjust it from inside the car, downside of it being price. Whether you use a piggyback (safc, emanage), a flash (works, ecutek), or a standalone (aem ems, apexi power fc) is up to you but all will get the job done at this point your decision here will matter more for later mods, do lots of research before you buy. Start here, this will give you a very noticable gain. and see what you think, than do another round of mods from there.

DaRkStArVIII
06-07-2006, 09:21 PM
My first power mods was a downpipe & cat back exhaust. Then I got a greddy profec bspecII boost controller & Safc NEO. I'm laying down 291hp to the wheels which is pretty decent. My initial goal was to attain at least 350hp to the crank. Now I want it at the wheels< (sounds kinda sleazy !)

supravital
06-07-2006, 09:29 PM
My first power mods was a downpipe & cat back exhaust. Then I got a greddy profec bspecII boost controller & Safc NEO. I'm laying down 291hp to the wheels which is pretty decent. My initial goal was to attain at least 350hp to the crank. Now I want it at the wheels< (sounds kinda sleazy !)

what year is your evo?

andru514
06-07-2006, 10:14 PM

nice

thisxguy
06-07-2006, 10:19 PM
My initial goal was to attain at least 350hp to the crank. Now I want it at the wheels< (sounds kinda sleazy !)

i'd probably do the same thing. haha.

Miss Evo8
06-07-2006, 10:21 PM
Your first mod should be some driving lessons! Learn to drive that Evo!

trinydex
06-07-2006, 10:30 PM
if you need guidance pm me.

G20
06-07-2006, 10:51 PM
The most proven route for modding the car is pretty much defined. With a boost control and some source of tuning device (reflash, piggyback like SAFC..) you'll get 260 to 280 whp on dynojet.

After getting used to it then you can add turbo back exhaust, fuel pump, larger injectors with a good tune you'll get somewhere between 295 to 315 whp.

Drive it for a while and put in cams to move the powerband up then you may get somewhere 320 to 330. Now, expect things to break and prepare to replace them (clutch, transmission, engine...). Also, prepare to deal with all the attention like popos, check engine light, clutch smell...

Drive it for a while... if you still find it's NOT good enough then prepare for a turbo upgrade. In my opinion, don't put the alcohol injector on since it's like putting on a timed bomb, one bad pull with the thing failed, bye bye your pistons.

If you go to track, do what other mentioned, learn to drive the car and put on RRE suspension mods. Otherwise, a good common sense is enough for daily driving with the evo since the car helps you so much.

GokuSSJ4
06-08-2006, 12:44 AM
screw everything else, just get a 3076R LOL

SpdyEvo02
06-08-2006, 12:59 AM
my first mod was an HKS exhaust then me 2 10" subwoofers new front speaker, dvd head unit, then my bling rims O0

reborn
06-08-2006, 05:49 AM
your first "safety" mod should be a boost gauge, if you haven't picked one up already.

Evoegg
06-08-2006, 11:36 AM
Man, do like most of the peeps on Evom is saying..

BOV and VTA it

Evoegg

Evoegg
06-08-2006, 11:38 AM
ok I was kidding.....

my first mod was TBE. and if you want safty... gauges are IMPORTANT !!!

Evoegg

thisxguy
06-08-2006, 11:46 AM
i hope you were kidding. haha

fyi. guages will catch cops attention

how was the tbe on a stock car?

Evoegg
06-08-2006, 12:32 PM
well, TBE was great!!! just make sure what you getting =)

true, Popos will go after your gauges. So try get something 52mm and lights up like a stock =)

But I still suggest you gauges if you are planning to go over 300whp.

Evoegg

thisxguy
06-08-2006, 08:46 PM
what do you mean make sure what you getting?

Evoegg
06-09-2006, 05:17 PM
There are fitment issues, depends on what year Evos.

Evoegg

wj4
06-10-2006, 01:21 AM
what do you mean make sure what you getting?

like mentioned.. fitment issues, ie the 05s cant have a 3 inch downpipe because of the bar, but 03 and 04 evos can.

fyi. guages will catch cops attention

owning an evo with an 8 inch wing already does that by itself.
gauges are a must. how else would you know how much youre boosting or when you have a boost leak. without a boost gauge, you cant even put on a boost controller without putting the car in serious danger.
at least get a boost gauge from autometer or whatever for $30. get egt if you are going to do tuning later so you know things under the hood wont melt.

when i first bought my evo...i drove it as is for about 2 months. then i put gauges on her and upgrade the audio system. drove it some more and finally put a catback, followed by downpipe and hi flow cat. and went from there.

thisxguy
06-10-2006, 01:53 AM
would you recommend a catback or turbo back exhaust? i want a TBE but i heard they're illegal. i saw guys who had problems with engine and were grateful that they didnt change anything before the cat. i also dont want to have any problems with smog yet.
is there a big difference between a catback and tbe? performance wise, etc.?

i already know that TBE is more expensive =/

wj4
06-10-2006, 02:19 AM
would you recommend a catback or turbo back exhaust? i want a TBE but i heard they're illegal. i saw guys who had problems with engine and were grateful that they didnt change anything before the cat. i also dont want to have any problems with smog yet.

of course turboback is more expensive because its 3 peices (catback, downpipe, hi flow cat or test pipe) compare to 1..catback.
turboback is illegal.....you cant touch anything after the cat.
if you are not sure about modding, my suggestion is dont. do more research until you are sured or know what youre getting yourself into. dont buy a product because someone say so, do your homework to see what it does and weight out the options for urself.
and what is the ratio of guy with messed up engines that are still on say stage 1 to other evo owners with turboback and are running fine?....very small.
and yes, there is a big difference between a turboback and catback. honestly when i put in my catback, i didnt feel any gains at all, just sounds louder. i felt the power when i put on my hi flow cat.
and theres guys out there that pass smog with hi flow cats..not sure about test pipe though.

Evoegg
06-10-2006, 04:27 AM
TBE is worth the money IMO. BIG hp difference compare with just catback.

And guess what, most of the mods are illegal. cops can give you a ticket just for your catback (Greddy TI, JUN TI, HKS TI)

Gauges are illegal(cannot have anything not from stock displayed on your dashboard).

So if you just want some legally upgrades ....... well how about alarm? hands free car-kit? lo-jack?

=)

Evoegg

Dagul
06-10-2006, 08:28 AM
might as well stay stock. :grin:

thisxguy
06-10-2006, 10:54 AM
haha. i'll pass on staying stock....well, until i get more money. haha.

so, technically, cops can give you a ticket for gauges?

do your guy's TBE pass smog? if so/or not...which do you guys have?

i was thinking about the RSR cat back because it looks stock. but if i'm not going to get much power gains...then i think it isnt worth the money.

Evoegg
06-10-2006, 03:01 PM
Well, if you have a Test pipe then you wont pass smog for sure, maybe HFC but depends =)

I think WavMixer's stealth TBE is a good thing to look at=)

Evoegg

G20
06-10-2006, 07:49 PM
To let you know, I passed smog with AVO tbe with ultimate hiflow and 264/272 cams. It was all because my stock taillight was consider "modified" and hence "illegal".

wj4
06-11-2006, 02:31 AM
[It was all because my stock taillight was consider "modified" and hence "illegal"./quote]
damn altezzas!

Dagul
06-11-2006, 09:47 AM
yeah, those things are garbage. looks like mitsu had a contract with APC for those tail lights. I'm glad they did away with the chrome for the IX.

... ... most of the mods are illegal. cops can give you a ticket just for your catback (Greddy TI, JUN TI, HKS TI)

Gauges are illegal(cannot have anything not from stock displayed on your dashboard).

Who puts gauges on their dashboard? And if gauges were really illegal would mitsu be selling sport meter kits or even bother having them included as part of the MR package?

thisxguy
06-11-2006, 11:15 AM
i'm not planning on using test pipes

To let you know, I passed smog with AVO tbe with ultimate hiflow and 264/272 cams. It was all because my stock taillight was consider "modified" and hence "illegal".

did they notice your tbe and hiflow cat?

what did you say/do after they considered your taillights "modified"? did they not look at them to see if it they were SAE and DOT approved?

Dagul
06-11-2006, 12:51 PM
I can understand modified if you had them painted or vinyl covered or something like that. Either that or the cop just didn't like you or didn't like your car...

thisxguy
06-11-2006, 01:01 PM
its to pass smog.
so i dont see why they should be allowed to be baised in doing your test...that's something that should be illegal...they didnt pass you because they didnt like you or your car. lol

G20
06-11-2006, 06:21 PM
i'm not planning on using test pipes

did they notice your tbe and hiflow cat?

what did you say/do after they considered your taillights "modified"? did they not look at them to see if it they were SAE and DOT approved?

This happened long time ago (last year). My car body is all original nothing changes. They just stated the reason so they can pop my hoot. The reason the state ref tested smog my car is because they can't tell there's aftermarket exhaust on my car since the AVO looks just like a regular system (i.e. no JDM angle or round muffler and very quiet) and the ultimate-racing hiflow cat looks nothing "spectacular". My car passed smog with a good score as well. They just didn't like my header, SAFC-II, boost control, boost gauge...

I leave the car as the way it's except put in the hiflow to see how it is doing and it passed smog. This show that most of the f*cking "green" laws are bullsh*t and there're other cars with much worse "smog" than our cars out there (SUVs hmm..) but simply ok because they didn't fit their profile.

thisxguy
06-11-2006, 07:19 PM
they're gay. i really dislike cops. lol

maybe i'll take a look at your AVO tbe. got any video/sound clip of it?
where are you located? maybe i can check it out if you dont live too far...and if you dont mind.

Dagul
06-11-2006, 07:26 PM
CARB are nothing but paper pushers making these aftermarket companies line their pockets for a stupid EO sticker.... :grin:

G20
06-11-2006, 09:52 PM
they're gay. i really dislike cops. lol

maybe i'll take a look at your AVO tbe. got any video/sound clip of it?
where are you located? maybe i can check it out if you dont live too far...and if you dont mind.

I hope the thread originator doesn't mind. We're off topic here. I took of the AVO and put on a straight pipe with a magnaflow muffler for my gt35r flowing better but I still have the AVO laying around in my garage (hesitate to put it on the MR). You can come by and see it over the weekend but since it's not on the car so you cannot hear it but some members here can tell you that it's very quiet. The only thing is damm expensive (> $1k for the tbe).

thisxguy
06-12-2006, 11:34 AM
i hope he doesnt mind either. lol. he's probably reading it and getting info anyways =)

arent most tbes $1000+?

i'd like to hear it and see it on an evo. why are you hesitant to put it on your evo?

G20
06-12-2006, 12:06 PM
i hope he doesnt mind either. lol. he's probably reading it and getting info anyways =)

arent most tbes $1000+?

i'd like to hear it and see it on an evo. why are you hesitant to put it on your evo?

I have 2 evos, 03 and 05 MR. The MR is my daily drive including taking the kids and wife to places so I want it to be stock and trouble-free hence I hesitate to mod it even the AVO is very quiet but nothing will be as quiet as stock. I test drove many other cars before getting the MR and nothing that I like.

thisxguy
06-12-2006, 12:21 PM
2 evos...man. lol. well, i'll look into the AVO tbe. does that fit pretty much like stock? it isnt angled for that JDM look right? i want mine to go straight, just like the stockie.

G20
06-12-2006, 12:28 PM
2 evos...man. lol. well, i'll look into the AVO tbe. does that fit pretty much like stock? it isnt angled for that JDM look right? i want mine to go straight, just like the stockie.

It fits like stock, looks like stock (implied no JDM angle look), and sounds very close to stock.

taben
06-12-2006, 01:18 PM
Just FYI. I don't mind. Every bit of info is good for me to learn about mods. I appreciate the info.

thisxguy
06-12-2006, 05:15 PM
see..he doesnt mind.* he's learning about TBEs also.

my friend who has a TBE said that his exhaust is cold...do you know why?

AVO TBE is hard to find. lol. can anyone help..i have a 06 IX gsr

G20
06-12-2006, 05:42 PM
my friend who has a TBE said that his exhaust is cold...do you know why?

AVO TBE is hard to find. lol. can anyone help..i have a 06 IX gsr

Your friend car probably "parking" for too long. LOL.
AVO is good but expensive. Try RRE stealth catback, quiet and look like stock but straight 3" (I checked it out on someone evo).

thisxguy
06-12-2006, 10:45 PM
is it RRE that has the stealth catback? i know that RSR has a stealth catback also...but i heard that the power gains arent so good. i want TBE because i heard that the power gains are noticeable.

G20
06-12-2006, 11:08 PM
is it RRE that has the stealth catback? i know that RSR has a stealth catback also...but i heard that the power gains arent so good. i want TBE because i heard that the power gains are noticeable.

Yes! RRE has the stealth catback which is really stealthy and as straight as a catback can be to fit under the car. All you need is a downpipe that fit to the stock cat and replace the cat with your choice of a testpipe or hiflow-cat. Just make sure you get the downpipe that fit your IX. Most of the 3" downpipe perform the same given that it's just a pipe that bend to fit the car's underneath. There you get a TBE.

thisxguy
06-12-2006, 11:55 PM
yeah, i was thinking that you can make a cat-back into a tbe. would it be cheaper to do that...get a cat-back, hiflow-cat, and any downpipe (doesnt matter if its some random cheap brand)?

do you think that set up will be a little louder than stock? i want to run a little louder than stock...i dont want to have some loud ass car. evos attract enough attention stock. lol

G20
06-13-2006, 12:11 AM
Let see! RRE catback $600 installed. Decent downpipe and testpipe ~$250-$300. So you're looking for about $900 total. If you want to save, get used ones. The RRE catback that I hear is only a little louder than stock.

thisxguy
06-13-2006, 12:38 AM
im not planning on running test pipes...how much do hiflow cats go for?

rammsteinmatt
06-13-2006, 12:49 AM

dont laugh, my first mod was a GT2835

:)

G20
06-13-2006, 09:13 AM

dont laugh, my first mod was a GT2835

:)

Let me guess. Your second mod was a clutch since you can easily destroy the stock with that much power. :-)

thisxguy
06-13-2006, 08:18 PM
deng...first mod is a upgraded turbo. lol
nice.
i wish i had that money right now. haha.

i'm just looking at turbo timer (still undecided on which one) and then a TBE

socal_HKS_evo8
09-22-2006, 11:56 AM
ya i would say get an exhaust cuz either way you go your still gunna get an exhaust system so that could be a first mod in mind :laugh: