PDA

View Full Version : 3000gt

READINGMASTER
06-08-2006, 03:01 PM
i have always wondered what you guys and girls think about this car heres a few specs its a v6 TT with 320 horses of power , 4wd and a 6th gear and when it first came out it was the worlds most sophisticated car in the world (1991) what do you think about it?

darkevo
06-08-2006, 03:06 PM
I always liked them and wanted a 3000gt VR-4.* I think 93 and up they look pretty good.* The last years mitsu killed the looks with the ugliest spoiler in the world...I don't know what they were thinking.* They're still pretty pricey at the dealer, I'm not sure if parts are getting hard to find on those guys.* The non-turbo ones are pretty slow do to heavy weight.

:mitsu:

Lancer EVO IX
06-08-2006, 03:10 PM
Ultraflip should chime in on this one. I think he used to own a pretty heavily modded 3kGT. I've always loved the way those cars looked. I think they are heavy ass cars, but they can be tuned to be extremely fast.

silvery_eagle
06-08-2006, 03:32 PM
actually you can also check with Macky...since he's a mitsu dictionary

Terry S
06-08-2006, 04:39 PM
I have a feeling that several Evo people are 3kgt migrants... Same price point, similar features, same manufacturer... Yea.

I'm going to say IBL for a topic beaten into submission.

Terry S

Macky
06-08-2006, 07:50 PM
the VR4 is a blast to drive, comfy, has long legs and ample power. with basic bolt ons and a boost controller, it will put up a good fight, even if its handicapped by a LOT of weight.

the FWD SL and base models (SL and older Base models have the DOHC engine, identical to the TT one w/o the trubos, newer base models have a weak SOHC V6) are a pain to drive fast and are handicapped by the weight penalty. luxury and style they > the Evo.

They were timeless and have technology back in the day only now do most manufacturers are begining to appreciate (projector headlights, AWD, 4-wheel steering on the VR4, ECS - electronic active suspension, variable volume induction in the intake manifold, Active Aero system that lowers a front spoiler and lifts the rear spoiler above 35 mph and can be manually activated, the list goes on)

The downside is that, although the engine is quite durable, extensive internal modifcations destroy other weaker parts of the driveline. The 6-speed Getrag on the 95-99 VR4 has some minor issues. water pump is a primary failure. weight kills tires easily. the ECS and active Aero (ECS is an early version of Tein's adjustable shock damping in the EDFC)in time start breaking. The VR4 and SL Spyders (hardtop convertibles) have some rare issues of the roof malfunctioning, but thats off the top of my head.

I once had a Base DOHC with a JDM Ralliart ECU and cam gears. It was pretty decent but lacked the power off the line. at speed though and on freeway speeds, the car is stable and builds speed steadily. the cockpit, although tight, is more modern and better looking in my opinion over the same cars in its class in the day (i.e the supra, RX7, NSX).

It wasnt the best performing car in its group, but it was the better all-around machine and outsold the 300ZX, Supra, and RX7 combined at the turn of the century (only the 3000GT had a 99 model here stateside).

thats about it in a nutshell.

evofosizzo
06-08-2006, 08:03 PM
I always liked them and wanted a 3000gt VR-4.?I think 93 and up they look pretty good.?The last years mitsu killed the looks with the ugliest spoiler in the world...I don't know what they were thinking.?They're still pretty pricey at the dealer, I'm not sure if parts are getting hard to find on those guys.?The non-turbo ones are pretty slow do to heavy weight.

:mitsu:

i think you meant 94 and up, since thats when the 2nd gen started.
I personally think last gen looks sexy out of all of them and is the rarest.

blkside
06-08-2006, 08:10 PM
I actually think Macky is a Mitsu dictionary...I would have said "they were cool" ..

thisxguy
06-08-2006, 08:19 PM
i like them

loved the way they look...
hate the weight.

GOOSE_Ej
06-09-2006, 05:34 PM
doesnt Sam from SRT have a vr-4?

SpdyEvo02
06-09-2006, 05:38 PM
doesnt Sam from SRT have a vr-4?

i believe he sold it