PDA

View Full Version : Phew...

Sir Lancer Lot
06-09-2006, 12:51 PM
This was last Friday night. I was at a show with some friends in Escondido coming back to OC about 1:30am. At the show I had about 4 ULTRA LIGHT BEERS. However, I had my last beer 2 hours before we left. Not to mention I drank a big bottle of water. I felt completely fine. So we head off as I was following some friends. I had to stop and get some gas. I aslo grab a protien bar while at the gas station. So I head on to the freeway. I get on the 5 at Oceanside. I'm on the 5 for like 2 min doing 90-95. The freeway was quite clear since it was 1:30am. Voila! The red and blue lights! Now i'm all freaking out. I start to pull over and over the PA he says to get off and pullover at the next exit, so I do. I pull into a gas station and park.

He walks up next to me and says, what's the hurry. I explain I'm trying to catch up with some friends because I had to stop for gas. He asks to see my license (suprisingly nothing else). He asks if I had been drinking. I say yes. He asks what and when. I said a few beers and the last one was well over 2 hours ago. He asks me to step out of the car. The games begin!

So stand on one leg for 30 seconds. Touch each finger to your thumb and some other events. So he says I pass everything perfect (No suprise because I wasn't drunk or anything AT ALL). Finally... the breathalizer! So I blow in it... 0.07!!!!!!!!!!! He looks at me and says, you're lucky. Hahahaha. I made it by 0.01! So he says, I'm ok to drive since I'm bellow the limit and passed all the tests but advises I hangout for a bit before taking off. Then he tells me, have a good night and drive safe and leaves. I was in shock. He never gave me a ticket! Nothing. So I walk into the gas startion grab another big bottle of water and hangout for 20 min and leave. 60mph all the way home, hahaha.

Reasons I think he didn't even give me a ticket for going 95 and being 0.07%. I refered to him as "sir" all the time. I told him straight away that I was drinking and how much, etc. Plus I think he was a nice guy. So keep that in mind.

Another thing. I came to realize the 0.08% is a joke. If I blew a 0.07% after 4 ULTRA light beers with 2.5 hours passed and drank a lot of water and ate a power bar, then you need to watch your ass because if you drink 1 regular beer and drive within 20 min, you'll blow over a 0.08% even though 1 beer won't get you anywhere intoxicated or slightly buzzed. At least most of us.

Lesson learned.

silvery_eagle
06-09-2006, 12:55 PM
you should have asked him..."eer... sir you forgot to give me ticket"

:D
that's crazy though...2 hours after the beer and you barely passed?

*chris*
06-09-2006, 01:27 PM
wow ..yah def lucky man. that is kinda surprising about the time deficit and still blowing that much

wj4
06-09-2006, 01:39 PM
you really are lucky. if you wouldve got hit with a DUI, it wouldve cost you a lot of headache and money.

Sir Lancer Lot
06-09-2006, 02:46 PM
you really are lucky. if you wouldve got hit with a DUI, it wouldve cost you a lot of headache and money.

Oh I know. Everyone should really watchout. The main point is, even 1 beer which wouldn't affect you at all can still put you over 0.08%. No matter how fine you feel. Best thing to do is to buy your own breathalizer and keep it in your glovebox. If it reads over 0.08% then just sit around and wait or go eat something, no matter what you drank or how you feel.

airforce1
06-09-2006, 03:18 PM
where do you buy a breathalizer?

gen4k20a2
06-09-2006, 03:23 PM
you are way lucky. Also be aware that just cause its an "ultra light" doesnt mean its less in alc content. It just means it has less calories and less carbs.

good story....i would have loved to see the cops face when its was a .07.

Sir Lancer Lot
06-09-2006, 03:43 PM

I haven't bought one yet. This is the one I'm going to get.

http://www.breathalyzer.net/alcohawkabi.html

It's made by the same company that makes the ones the cops use. It's DOT, NHTSA and FDA approved. I highly recommend spending the $100 and getting one. It can really save your ass. I'm sure many of you have gone out had a few drinks, hung out and felt completely fine to drive later in the night. It doesn't matter how you feel, all that matters are those numbers that pop up on the machine.

Ultra light beer (low 4%) usually has less alc than let's say New Castle or Sam Adams (5-5.5%). This incident showed me that it doesn't take a lot (hardly anything in fact) to get a 0.08%.

gen4k20a2
06-09-2006, 03:57 PM
true but 5 and 5.5 is high for a beer...those two are some on the high end. Like a heff is way up there too. Most are high 4s to mid fives...higher than that and its a micro or something of the nature.

Some examples:
Beck 5.13
Asahi 5.21
Bud 4.82
Tecate 4.49
Coors 5.03
Corona 4.84
Guinness 4.27 (extra stout)
Michelob 4.99
Ultra 4.2

so you get the idea that just cause its ultra doesnt mean its that less potent...be careful out there my friends.

Macky
06-09-2006, 07:02 PM
you got off very lucky. at least you kept your cool as well.

rino
06-11-2006, 01:00 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/Alcohawk-Micro-Breathalyzer-Breathalizer-Alcohol-Test_W0QQitemZ9735391778QQcategoryZ58037QQrdZ1QQcm dZViewItem

funny i was browsing this the other night and thought about getting one for my brother as a birthday present, keeping him in the clear..

WavMixer
06-15-2006, 03:57 PM
HERE (http://safetyfirstdmk.stores.yahoo.net/keychainbrea.html)