PDA

View Full Version : Are the stock 02 housing the same size for all years??

slow_evo
06-12-2006, 06:32 PM
I would like to know. Did a search but came up empty handed. :'(

Dagul
06-12-2006, 07:13 PM
do a part number search on evoM... I'm pretty sure they're the same. The only thing that's changed is hotside going from 9.8 to 10.5...

slow_evo
06-12-2006, 07:25 PM
Yeah that's what I was wondering if due to the dif hotside, the o2 changed as well. I heard somewhere that if you have a '05 + (10.5 hotside) you don't need to upgrade your o2. The aftermarket o2 for the '03-'04 is the stock size for '05??

trinydex
08-09-2006, 01:37 PM
that is untrue, for sure the 10.5s and the 9.8s of 03-06 have the same o2. not sure about the 9 but i'm also fairly certain they did not change that.

GokuSSJ4
08-11-2006, 12:15 AM
that is untrue, for sure the 10.5s and the 9.8s of 03-06 have the same o2. not sure about the 9 but i'm also fairly certain they did not change that.
correct! Keep in mind that the only part that was revize from the IX turbo was the cold side. the hotside and 02 housing was left alone... so from 03-06 all the 02 housings are the same

Sam Smash
08-12-2006, 02:13 AM
I have a lot of stock o2 housings and they are all the same. Stop by and see how much bigger the Invidia is compared to stock.

trinydex
08-12-2006, 03:02 AM
make sure when you drop that o2 in you are taking the turbo off the car. otherwise it's next to impossible (so i read).

also look into tapping htat egt hold for a bolt and bracket that holds up the stock heatshield. then file off the bolt on the inside and get hte unit coated. then it's all smooth!

GokuSSJ4
08-12-2006, 11:07 AM
make sure when you drop that o2 in you are taking the turbo off the car. otherwise it's next to impossible (so i read).

also look into tapping htat egt hold for a bolt and bracket that holds up the stock heatshield. then file off the bolt on the inside and get hte unit coated. then it's all smooth!
you dont need to remove the turbo in order to install an 02 housing.. it makes things easier if you removed the radiator to get to one bolt. people that usually take short cuts or dont have the proper tools in order to get the job done will end up hurting there car by stripping a bolt.
Most after market 02 housings dont have much support like the stock unit does. The only after market 02 housing that it is equal fitment as the OEM is the WORKS but = $$$$$ for it.
Most people will be ok not to have the extra bracket or shield in order to pay the differnce in $$$$

trinydex
08-12-2006, 02:27 PM
i mean you have to drop hte turbo for the invidia... otherwise read endoe's threads on it, it was a disaster.

GokuSSJ4
08-12-2006, 08:49 PM
i mean you have to drop hte turbo for the invidia... otherwise read endoe's threads on it, it was a disaster.
can you provide a link ? since most of the 02 housings dont require that.. cant think why this one did.. an like i said, having the proper tools in order to take on this type of job helps as well

trinydex
08-13-2006, 01:01 AM
http://www.norcalevo.net/forum/index.php?topic=9957.new;topicseen#new

GokuSSJ4
08-13-2006, 10:37 AM
http://www.norcalevo.net/forum/index.php?topic=9957.new;topicseen#new
Ok..
i read the thread.. he mention that he had a hardtime getting a bolt in.. thats a given, which is why i mention that the radiator would be required to be removed, since it will give you better clearance and a better angle to get to the bolt. If you notice the way the 02 housing bolts to the turbo, you will notice theres a thigh fit on one of the bolts.
When i had the WORKS 02 housing installed, the guy didn't even need to removed the radiator.
here is another person from the thread mention above that didn't need to removed the radiator as well..

So it turns out out we get what we pay for. WORKS FTW. Na na na na na na!!

Installing the WORKS O2 housing wasn't too horrible; don't remember if I had to take out the radiator or not, with my thicker Koyo I'd definitely have to, to get at the heatshield bolts. I removed the old O2 housing leaving the turbo, etc. in the car. Reaching all the bolts was tricky but doable with the right combination of sockets, extensions, and other tools. Fitment was perfect on the new O2 housing studs/bolts. I did have to enlarge a couple of the heatshield bolt holes to facilitate reinstalling the stock heatshield housing; it barely fits over the larger WORKS unit but it does fit.

When I finally do the turbo upgrade I'm going to undo the DP, take out the radiator and then take out the manifold, turbo and O2 housing all as one piece. Seems much easier to bolt them all together before putting them back in the car.

If you take your time with any 02 housing and find that getting the last bolt a PITA, it is easier to remove the radiator (end of story) never saw the need to remove the turbo at all

trinydex
08-13-2006, 01:22 PM
uhm.... i thought you'd always remove the radiator regardless, otherwise you can't even get the heatshield off. i was under the impression that these were just impossible to reach. i must be mistaken.

Macky
08-13-2006, 01:29 PM
in case any of the n00bs need a layout:

GokuSSJ4
08-13-2006, 02:20 PM
uhm.... i thought you'd always remove the radiator regardless, otherwise you can't even get the heatshield off. i was under the impression that these were just impossible to reach. i must be mistaken.
yeah thats what i decided to pointed out, it can be removed. you dont need to remove the radiator, if you have the proper tools. but it can be a PITA and not everyone is up for the task.
thanks Macky for posting the OEM graph for the parts

Macky
08-13-2006, 06:39 PM
no problem. just trying to help out ;)